Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Price your Cruze! OUCH!

regfootball

Chevrolet Cruze configurator goes live

by Zach Bowman (RSS feed) on Sep 3rd, 2010 at 4:46PM

Heads up, compact fans; the configurator for the 2011 Chevrolet Cruze has officially gone live. If you've got a few hot seconds to spare as your work week comes to a close, you can build up your new Bowtie fuel miser any way you so please. It doesn't take long to click off enough options to have the Cruze sitting pretty at just shy of $26,800 including destination. Of course, that kind of coin will fetch you a sunroof, spare tire, RS appearance package, navigation and just about everything else your heart could desire in LTZ trim.

Of course, the frugal among you can sink your teeth into a $16,995 LS model, complete with a naturally aspirated 1.8-liter four-cylinder engine, six-speed manual transmission and not much else. If it were us laying down the coin, we'd probably hold off until we got word exactly how much Chevrolet is going to ask for the super-efficient Eco model. Thanks for the tip, Scott!

link:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/03/chevrolet-cruze-configurator-goes-live/

Let's face it, the cruze's competitors can also top out in the mid-20's....

you mean like a turbocharged mazdaspeed3 for just a few bucks over 24 thousand? Well, at least one gets a turbocharged engine that can move the car.

Cruze LTZ with all options is well over 26 grand, WHAT ARE THEY SMOKING?

I did price an LT1 at 20,600 and an LT2 with sunroof at 22,700. That is closer to reasonable.

But that Kia Optima will be about the same price..........I'm all about supporting the home team but at extortion pricing, the home team can GFI.

I'm not sure who remembers this but this reminds me of the Oval Taurus and Ford Contour intros. The aspirational pricing did them in from the get go. The Cruze is a bit more solid product wise (engine output notwithstanding) but its not head and shoulders enough apart to have one on the lot at 27 grand.

Chevy also better have good lease deals in the works to match all those zero down 229 a month corolla leases.....

Edited by regfootball

Chevy wants the $19K LT with the 1.4 turbo to be the volume model, but if you look at its competition, it's the 1.8 liter LX Civic and LE Corolla that sell best... or, in other words, the $17,000 1.8 liter LS.

The LT and LTZ are all 'aspirational' in this segment. I hope they supply dealers with enough LS models...

Well we hae two prices the sticker and what you really pay.

Also you don't get much car for 16K anymore.

If this pricing does not work GM will just offer a Decontented model the like others and lower the price.

I would have rather seen them low ball the price the first year, create demand and then raise it up once they hook them. Price is a factor in this class. But again if this is too much the Aveo sedan is coming and it will be more car than it was and the price will be less than the Cruze.

At least the 2012 Honfa looks similar to the present car and has Honda's great generic styling again.

Edited by hyperv6

Pie in the Sky pricing. I was afraid of this.

hence why i figured i might as well have bought my cobalt when it was half the price of that. nearly. i knew waiting for the cruze wouldn not be fruitful at all.

Well we hae two prices the sticker and what you really pay.

Also you don't get much car for 16K anymore.

If this pricing does not work GM will just offer a Decontented model the like others and lower the price.

I would have rather seen them low ball the price the first year, create demand and then raise it up once they hook them. Price is a factor in this class. But again if this is too much the Aveo sedan is coming and it will be more car than it was and the price will be less than the Cruze.

At least the 2012 Honfa looks similar to the present car and has Honda's great generic styling again.

012 civic looks to be a disaster. At this time the Jetta, Cruze, and Focus look to be market leaders very soon next to the mazzeda 3

in fairness, only 5% of cruze's built will have that 27k sticker. I see most of them being in the 20-22 range. LT1 or LT2 with things like remote start and such. A rebate and dealer discount and we are probably around 18-19, which at that price it could do ok. Chevy should have avoided the few models with sticker shock. It's as though they did that only to spike residuals for the whole line and to convince the banks to loan all it can to back up the sales transaction prices.

Edited by regfootball

Exactly. They did that with the Malibu; between 2008, when the current car first came out, and now, the base MSRP has risen by $2,700.

The 2LT Sedan I priced + NAV, Driver Convenience Package and Disc Brakes, Black Granite with Ebony/Brick interior came in at 24800 USD$

Guess I'll have to see what the Canadian pricing is like but if it's the way I think it will go (aka more expensive here), might almost be worth looking at a plain-jane Regal 2.4L.

Guess I'll have to see what the Canadian pricing is like but if it's the way I think it will go (aka more expensive here), might almost be worth looking at a plain-jane Regal 2.4L.

But that's exactly the point of a price structure; to help people choose what is best for them. It is between the higher end smaller model and lower end bigger model that pricing overlap makes sense. Want more features but can sacrifice on space, pick the smaller car; want more space and can sacrifice some of the goodies, go for the larger car.

Edited by ZL-1

All cars are getting expensive, especially as they all become more and more equipped with 8 airbags and electronic gizmos. But that being said, $26,000 for a Cruze LTZ is nuts. The car isn't that luxurious, and isn't very quick. A Sonata Limited is $25,295 and that is a pretty well equipped midsize. Cruze will need rebates that those prices, and needing sales to Avis or $3500 cash back on the hood has often doomed other GM small cars in the past.

but there was a Jetta Wolfsburg the last couple years, turbo, DSG, leatherette, sunroof. about 22 and change. and i don't think the cruze outperforms it. i test drove that jetta but hated the DSG so it was off the list.

that said, VW prob won't put out a wolfsburg of the new one for a bit. but it does go to show that cars like that and the mazdaspeed3 can combine lot of virtues for a good value.

the cruzes i configured that seemed to represent the most value, an LS with connectivity for about 17,500 (which is actually less msrp than the cobalt i just got) the LT1 with alum wheels and some things for around 20,700, and the LT2 with sunroof for like 22,700. i expect most cruzes in the showroom to be in that price range. i can't fathom how they will hook someone on a loaded LTZ at near 27 grand, until the end of the model year and tack about 4 grand in rebates on it.

I really would be fine with the LS except with the turbo in lieu of the n/a 1.8.

actually when i was wanting the astra, the 1.8 was a nice powertrain with the opel manual aside from an overall lack of pep. its nvh was decent. The cruze in LS trim should only weigh a tish more and have the extra gears to bring the 75mph rpm down. but still i am guessing the 1.8 n/a/ is still fairly dog slow considering the turbo is only adequate. at least the 1.8 with the sixth gear now should run a lot less rpm on the freeway. the LS is actually the cruze i want to test first because it is the best value. the eco might be fine except for the low rolling resistance tires, those would be crap in snow.

Edited by regfootball

So I couldn't help but notice on the configurator that a manual is only available on the base level trim. What's up with that?

GM, I think, has made a mistake in labeling this car as a Cobalt replacement. They should have given the Aveo that label and tried to sell this as a entirely new entry for the Chevrolet line-up, not meaning to replace anything, and introduced to bridge a gap in between the Aveo and Malibu, since that clearly is what they intend to really do here judging by the size and pricing.

012 civic looks to be a disaster.

*looks up spy pics*

Ohhhh gawddddddddd ... I thought they were going to do away with that craptastic interior?

GM, I think, has made a mistake in labeling this car as a Cobalt replacement. They should have given the Aveo that label and tried to sell this as a entirely new entry for the Chevrolet line-up, not meaning to replace anything, and introduced to bridge a gap in between the Aveo and Malibu, since that clearly is what they intend to really do here judging by the size and pricing.

*looks up spy pics*

Ohhhh gawddddddddd ... I thought they were going to do away with that craptastic interior?

I think this is corrct. This car is not really a direct Cobalt replacment as it is targeting a new group of buyers. It is almost like Chevy is upgrading the Aveo as the cheap car to replace the Cobalt and retained the Malibu for the mid size class.

With he Cruze they have overlaped the Cobalt and Malibu class a little with a car that offers more comfort and qulaity than the Cobalt ever did and it offer eco options that also may attract the Green folks looking for MPG's and not be forced into a car that only can carry limited people of cargo.

I think things would be more clear if more of us have really been in one of these cars or driven one. I have seen them and can see it is a car not targeted to replace the entry level car you send you kid to collage in. I have not driven one but know someone that has and from what I was told it is a much more upscale car than most others in class. It really is quiet and rides like a larger car. This is not another base car that you can tell what kind of road surface you are on by the echo from the back seat.

This car is carving a new notch as things are about to change industry wide for all of us. 4 cylinders are now 70+% of the market and small car sales are climbing. With the new CAFE and pending CO2 regs things are only going to get smaller. I think Chevy is looking forward to the fact the average person is going to have to go to smaller cars and they are seeing if they will pay more for a better smaller car.

So I couldn't help but notice on the configurator that a manual is only available on the base level trim. What's up with that?

yes. the only turbo manual will be the eco which is not on the configurator yet.

maybe the eco is vaporware until they pay off the feds enough to fake the 40mpg highway rating.

Does the New Civic have a Saturn Swoosh on the sides?:huh:

probably more like the new civic came down from the planets of saturn and uranus cause i am sure it will look an anus of some kind...... you know, i actually like the CRZ in person though, even with the 5 foot front overhang and huge overbite.

*looks up spy pics*

Jessica Simpson just keeps getting fatter.

This car is carving a new notch as things are about to change industry wide for all of us. 4 cylinders are now 70+% of the market and small car sales are climbing. With the new CAFE and pending CO2 regs things are only going to get smaller. I think Chevy is looking forward to the fact the average person is going to have to go to smaller cars and they are seeing if they will pay more for a better smaller car.

Which may be new territory for Chevy, but VW has been doing that for years with the Jetta (a small, well equipped car that's not cheap and nasty)...and oddly, they have now moved downmarket.

I think this is corrct. This car is not really a direct Cobalt replacment as it is targeting a new group of buyers. It is almost like Chevy is upgrading the Aveo as the cheap car to replace the Cobalt and retained the Malibu for the mid size class.

With he Cruze they have overlaped the Cobalt and Malibu class a little with a car that offers more comfort and qulaity than the Cobalt ever did and it offer eco options that also may attract the Green folks looking for MPG's and not be forced into a car that only can carry limited people of cargo.

I think things would be more clear if more of us have really been in one of these cars or driven one. I have seen them and can see it is a car not targeted to replace the entry level car you send you kid to collage in. I have not driven one but know someone that has and from what I was told it is a much more upscale car than most others in class. It really is quiet and rides like a larger car. This is not another base car that you can tell what kind of road surface you are on by the echo from the back seat.

all of what you say is true but the cruze really should have one more powertrain offering in the 170-180hp range, and the other part of this is that it looks like the malibu will regress in styling. the malibu will get larger on a shorter wheelbase? ugh. impala is left pissing in the wind, why not just sell them exclusively at costco. I just think the Cruze has so many positive attributes that it seriously limits its appeal as a step down car without something beyond the 1.4 as an option, because the rest of the car seems to have turned out nicely. there are still people who venture outside the urban envinronment with their cars, who take more than one person on a trip and would like a car with great passing reserves and the ability to travel well at 75mph etc. yet still have a nice blend of economy and low cost of ownership. leaving out a more powerful option leaves those people out of the market.

Which may be new territory for Chevy, but VW has been doing that for years with the Jetta (a small, well equipped car that's not cheap and nasty)...and oddly, they have now moved downmarket.

at least VW fixed one of the Jettas fatal flaws, they added real human leg room to the back. kudos. it might be a difference maker for them in the market, despite the cheap interior. still the Jetta has to be cheaper than the Altimas and Sonatas of the world if they plan to sell big.

Edited by regfootball

what really jacks up the price of this car....the nav system and required pioneer audio. that's about 2500 bucks to basically add nav. an LTZ w/o sunroof or nav is still under 23k. IMO, if they could add the sunroof but not the nav, and keep the car right at say, 22,995...then that probably would not constitute sticker shock. it's the NAV equipped units that will cause the heart palpitations. Perhaps those when they don't sell will get the big rebates end of year.

23k list with invoice pricing, and some rebate would be around 20 and change or about 21, and that wouldn't be all that abusive even despite the tiny motor.

it probably would be a bargoon against the loaded Jettas in the units that don't have the NAV.

Those TDI VW's don't get as great an mpg as people think. Truth is if the Cruze you buy gets a combined 31, for example, lots of folks who only do city driving in their slow as molasses/my DSG won't shift TDI's only get 32,33. And those TDI's are not cheap.

The 5 cylinder's mpg is horse's arse and even then the engine is a groaner.

There in that case is no real worthwhile advantage to owning a VW, unless you like 70 dollar oil changes.

Speaking of, what is the oil spec on that 1.4 turbo.

Edited by regfootball

The 1.8L manual, on paper, is competitive with other manual 1.8L Civics and Corollas. The LS is the "base" model for the Cruze, but really, in this segment it's the mid-level model. On paper, it's sandwiched perfectly between the Corolla LE and Civic LX. GM would be well-advised to stock plenty of LS models.

The turbo in the LT and LTZ is the upgrade "premium" motor, which normally, would justify the higher cost. Trouble is, is performance isn't much of an upgrade. For $23,000+ something along the line of a small-displacement Cobalt SS motor (say, a 1.6-liter 170 hp turbo four) is more appropriate. Doubtful there will be a mileage penalty, either, since there will be direct injection.

Normally, the 1.8L is the volume engine, while the turbo is a low-volume upgrade; they're trying to switch it around this time.

Edited by pow

I have heard GM is working on a new 2.5L 4 cyl. hopefully this engine will find its way to the Cruze. If I were to get a Cruze id get the base LS model. If you get the LTZ I think maybe you could get a Regal or Malibu for the same price. I dont think the Cruze is really replacing the Cobalt. the new Aveo is. the new aveo will be about the size of the Cobalt and about the same price as the Cobalt was. the Spark is replacing the Aveo. The new Aveo should start around $13,000.

I'm not a fan of the Korean cars but for less than 20K I can land a 2011 Sonata base with option package that includes power seat, alloys, deluxe trim, floormats and ipod cable, 6 speed automatic, 198 HP and 0-60 in around 8 seconds with room to spare. The 2011 Optima should be slightly less when it comes out shortly too. For a smaller, blander less powerful car like the Cruze that really doesn't get any better mileage than the above two cars in normal 1.8 or 1.4 turbo automatic equipped version I would only expect to pay around 15-16k for this car with a normal helping of options.

I have heard GM is working on a new 2.5L 4 cyl. hopefully this engine will find its way to the Cruze. If I were to get a Cruze id get the base LS model. If you get the LTZ I think maybe you could get a Regal or Malibu for the same price. I dont think the Cruze is really replacing the Cobalt. the new Aveo is. the new aveo will be about the size of the Cobalt and about the same price as the Cobalt was. the Spark is replacing the Aveo. The new Aveo should start around $13,000.

+1

I say nothing more...

I'm not a fan of the Korean cars but for less than 20K I can land a 2011 Sonata base with option package that includes power seat, alloys, deluxe trim, floormats and ipod cable, 6 speed automatic, 198 HP and 0-60 in around 8 seconds with room to spare. The 2011 Optima should be slightly less when it comes out shortly too. For a smaller, blander less powerful car like the Cruze that really doesn't get any better mileage than the above two cars in normal 1.8 or 1.4 turbo automatic equipped version I would only expect to pay around 15-16k for this car with a normal helping of options.

yeah, that sort of fact has been brought up, its the sort of thing GM thinks customers are oblivious to.

imagine how the elantra will price up vs. the cruze.

17370 for an LS with USB and bluetooth. (manual)

not bad.

except, its missing an engine........

No, I'm pretty sure it'll have an engine for that price. I didn't see one listed as an option and it isn't like GM to sell just a shell with 4 wheels and Bluetooth that wont move under its own power.

And they have to offer it in 14 different body styles. In addition to the coupe and sedan, we need 3,5 and 7-door hatchbacks, a long wheelbase 6-door wagon, a Wrangler-esque convertible, a regular convertible, a dual-cowl phaeton, a landaulet, regular and crew-cab pickups, a spyder and finally a super long wheelbase 2-door, dual-engined pillarless hardtop.

saab dealer is advertising new closeout 010 9-3's for 23k on up.

the saab is cheaper than the LTZ turbo Cruze.

Off topic... Where the hell do you live? The dealer discounts in your area are the most discounted I've seen or heard of in any area. Each time you post these figures, I don't understand it.

ok, i do see they have 2k saab loyalty. so i guess that means 25k really. sorry i jumped the gun on that. but it is a 30k saab for 25.

i know back exactly 2 years ago when i got my trex i got a quote on a new 9-3 for 20k. but of course that was back then.

i guess the 'saab loyalty' does sort of skew it a bit. but its not much different than GM loyalty i guess.

still think the sweet spot for the cruze is that area between 20,500 and a tish below 23 on how its equipped....in theory its a 20k vehicle.

Here's an unexpected development. I guess we're going to go look at a Cruze at some point. Albert just saw a commercial for one and declared that he really liked it.

Not my cup of tea, but he can have anything he wants as long as it's a GM or Ford.