regfootball

Price your Cruze! OUCH!

152 posts in this topic

Chevrolet Cruze configurator goes live

by Zach Bowman (RSS feed) on Sep 3rd, 2010 at 4:46PM

Heads up, compact fans; the configurator for the 2011 Chevrolet Cruze has officially gone live. If you've got a few hot seconds to spare as your work week comes to a close, you can build up your new Bowtie fuel miser any way you so please. It doesn't take long to click off enough options to have the Cruze sitting pretty at just shy of $26,800 including destination. Of course, that kind of coin will fetch you a sunroof, spare tire, RS appearance package, navigation and just about everything else your heart could desire in LTZ trim.

Of course, the frugal among you can sink your teeth into a $16,995 LS model, complete with a naturally aspirated 1.8-liter four-cylinder engine, six-speed manual transmission and not much else. If it were us laying down the coin, we'd probably hold off until we got word exactly how much Chevrolet is going to ask for the super-efficient Eco model. Thanks for the tip, Scott!

link:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/03/chevrolet-cruze-configurator-goes-live/

PurdueGuy    72

The one I priced was under $18k, but that's because the only manual trans I saw was with the 1.8L. Yeah... not buying a Cruze unless they come up with some better option combos.

regfootball    234

Let's face it, the cruze's competitors can also top out in the mid-20's....

you mean like a turbocharged mazdaspeed3 for just a few bucks over 24 thousand? Well, at least one gets a turbocharged engine that can move the car.

Cruze LTZ with all options is well over 26 grand, WHAT ARE THEY SMOKING?

I did price an LT1 at 20,600 and an LT2 with sunroof at 22,700. That is closer to reasonable.

But that Kia Optima will be about the same price..........I'm all about supporting the home team but at extortion pricing, the home team can GFI.

I'm not sure who remembers this but this reminds me of the Oval Taurus and Ford Contour intros. The aspirational pricing did them in from the get go. The Cruze is a bit more solid product wise (engine output notwithstanding) but its not head and shoulders enough apart to have one on the lot at 27 grand.

Chevy also better have good lease deals in the works to match all those zero down 229 a month corolla leases.....

Edited by regfootball

pow    106

Chevy wants the $19K LT with the 1.4 turbo to be the volume model, but if you look at its competition, it's the 1.8 liter LX Civic and LE Corolla that sell best... or, in other words, the $17,000 1.8 liter LS.

The LT and LTZ are all 'aspirational' in this segment. I hope they supply dealers with enough LS models...

ocnblu    733

Pie in the Sky pricing. I was afraid of this.

hyperv6    774

Well we hae two prices the sticker and what you really pay.

Also you don't get much car for 16K anymore.

If this pricing does not work GM will just offer a Decontented model the like others and lower the price.

I would have rather seen them low ball the price the first year, create demand and then raise it up once they hook them. Price is a factor in this class. But again if this is too much the Aveo sedan is coming and it will be more car than it was and the price will be less than the Cruze.

At least the 2012 Honfa looks similar to the present car and has Honda's great generic styling again.

Edited by hyperv6

regfootball    234

Pie in the Sky pricing. I was afraid of this.

hence why i figured i might as well have bought my cobalt when it was half the price of that. nearly. i knew waiting for the cruze wouldn not be fruitful at all.

Well we hae two prices the sticker and what you really pay.

Also you don't get much car for 16K anymore.

If this pricing does not work GM will just offer a Decontented model the like others and lower the price.

I would have rather seen them low ball the price the first year, create demand and then raise it up once they hook them. Price is a factor in this class. But again if this is too much the Aveo sedan is coming and it will be more car than it was and the price will be less than the Cruze.

At least the 2012 Honfa looks similar to the present car and has Honda's great generic styling again.

012 civic looks to be a disaster. At this time the Jetta, Cruze, and Focus look to be market leaders very soon next to the mazzeda 3

in fairness, only 5% of cruze's built will have that 27k sticker. I see most of them being in the 20-22 range. LT1 or LT2 with things like remote start and such. A rebate and dealer discount and we are probably around 18-19, which at that price it could do ok. Chevy should have avoided the few models with sticker shock. It's as though they did that only to spike residuals for the whole line and to convince the banks to loan all it can to back up the sales transaction prices.

Edited by regfootball

Drew Dowdell    4,990

A Civic with Nav and leather can get to $27k also....

Jetta SEL can go all the way to $29k.... and still have 8.5 0-60....

The Elantra an Corolla simply dont come with the options..... and is still using a 4-speed autos in both.

pow    106

Exactly. They did that with the Malibu; between 2008, when the current car first came out, and now, the base MSRP has risen by $2,700.

The 2LT Sedan I priced + NAV, Driver Convenience Package and Disc Brakes, Black Granite with Ebony/Brick interior came in at 24800 USD$

Guess I'll have to see what the Canadian pricing is like but if it's the way I think it will go (aka more expensive here), might almost be worth looking at a plain-jane Regal 2.4L.

ZL-1    160
Guess I'll have to see what the Canadian pricing is like but if it's the way I think it will go (aka more expensive here), might almost be worth looking at a plain-jane Regal 2.4L.

But that's exactly the point of a price structure; to help people choose what is best for them. It is between the higher end smaller model and lower end bigger model that pricing overlap makes sense. Want more features but can sacrifice on space, pick the smaller car; want more space and can sacrifice some of the goodies, go for the larger car.

Edited by ZL-1

regfootball    234

those avengers with big rebates look pretty good compared to pie in the sky cruze pricing. a new buyer will lose their ass if they spend 24 grand on a cruze, and then its worth 13 on the auction 12 months later.

daves87rs    327

A Civic with Nav and leather can get to $27k also....

Jetta SEL can go all the way to $29k.... and still have 8.5 0-60....

The Elantra an Corolla simply dont come with the options..... and is still using a 4-speed autos in both.

True...

smk4565    321

All cars are getting expensive, especially as they all become more and more equipped with 8 airbags and electronic gizmos. But that being said, $26,000 for a Cruze LTZ is nuts. The car isn't that luxurious, and isn't very quick. A Sonata Limited is $25,295 and that is a pretty well equipped midsize. Cruze will need rebates that those prices, and needing sales to Avis or $3500 cash back on the hood has often doomed other GM small cars in the past.

regfootball    234

but there was a Jetta Wolfsburg the last couple years, turbo, DSG, leatherette, sunroof. about 22 and change. and i don't think the cruze outperforms it. i test drove that jetta but hated the DSG so it was off the list.

that said, VW prob won't put out a wolfsburg of the new one for a bit. but it does go to show that cars like that and the mazdaspeed3 can combine lot of virtues for a good value.

the cruzes i configured that seemed to represent the most value, an LS with connectivity for about 17,500 (which is actually less msrp than the cobalt i just got) the LT1 with alum wheels and some things for around 20,700, and the LT2 with sunroof for like 22,700. i expect most cruzes in the showroom to be in that price range. i can't fathom how they will hook someone on a loaded LTZ at near 27 grand, until the end of the model year and tack about 4 grand in rebates on it.

I really would be fine with the LS except with the turbo in lieu of the n/a 1.8.

actually when i was wanting the astra, the 1.8 was a nice powertrain with the opel manual aside from an overall lack of pep. its nvh was decent. The cruze in LS trim should only weigh a tish more and have the extra gears to bring the 75mph rpm down. but still i am guessing the 1.8 n/a/ is still fairly dog slow considering the turbo is only adequate. at least the 1.8 with the sixth gear now should run a lot less rpm on the freeway. the LS is actually the cruze i want to test first because it is the best value. the eco might be fine except for the low rolling resistance tires, those would be crap in snow.

Edited by regfootball

MyerShift    7

So I couldn't help but notice on the configurator that a manual is only available on the base level trim. What's up with that?

Blake Noble    146

GM, I think, has made a mistake in labeling this car as a Cobalt replacement. They should have given the Aveo that label and tried to sell this as a entirely new entry for the Chevrolet line-up, not meaning to replace anything, and introduced to bridge a gap in between the Aveo and Malibu, since that clearly is what they intend to really do here judging by the size and pricing.

012 civic looks to be a disaster.

*looks up spy pics*

Ohhhh gawddddddddd ... I thought they were going to do away with that craptastic interior?

ocnblu    733

Does the New Civic have a Saturn Swoosh on the sides?:huh:

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.