Winter Blues

I can't recall the last time I've seen so much snow on the ground! We got hit with another 6 inches of snow this morning, and a big Nor'easter is taking aim at us for Wednesday. But between now and then we're supposed to be getting the coldest weather we've seen in years here. Sunday highs will only make it to 16 and lows will be -16 or colder! It's a frozen, if pretty wasteland out there. Now I know what it's like for FapTurbo in July.

Got prepared for this and bought some Iso-Heet for the cars on active duty and Marine Sta-bil (red stuff is junk) for the hibernating Intrepid.

So how's the weather in your neck of the woods?

Naw, FAPTurbo lives in Vancouver... it's not that cold there at all. After a couple weeks of -30* windchills it was actually seven above zero today which was nice. Nice above freezing weather is supposed to stick around for about a week but things generally start to melt around here in late March, but it's often not all melted away until early May.

most snow ever in december, january sucks too. the snow is still several inches over the top of my mailbox. to top it off, the cold hit this week.

i hate this place. the cold weather sucks. i am tired of snow. i am tired of freezing my ass off.

cold and snow takes whatever $h!ty mood you are in and just amplifies it to the nth degree.

i'm 42. my whole life i have been around the f--king tundra. it's just crap. i don't want to live the rest of my life in this sht.

Weather is pretty predictable here currently. 70s and sunny, 40s at night. Good weather for the car auction week.

good places to move to in arizona, advise.

Edited by regfootball

good places to move to in arizona, advise.

Pretty much anywhere in the Phoenix metro area, though I find central and north/northeast parts of the city and the eastern/northern/south eastern suburbs nicer than the westside. Can't speak for Tucson. The rest of the state is very rural. But I'm the wrong person, since I'm on my way out of here...deeply disenchanted w/ AZ for many reasons, incl. the summer weather. Nearly 5 months of triple digit heat sucks, even if it is a 'dry heat'.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Sinus infection here going on 2.5 weeks. I'm on my third type of antibiotic. Horrible, I hate being on drugs. And December was horrible here, just cold and miserable. January has been the same so far. Not near as much snow as last year so far, but the temps last year were more hospitable. This winter has just been bitter and long.

Edited by ocnblu

It's a frozen, if pretty wasteland out there. Now I know what it's like for FapTurbo in July.

Naw, FAPTurbo lives in Vancouver... it's not that cold there at all.

Yeah, maybe compared to Calgary. :P

This place is a frigid lifeless wasteland where there is only depression, flannel, and syrup. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm taking the Buell out for a spin.

Nice 70 degree winter afternoon here...

.skipped B-J and went to the Gooding & Company auction--some incredible '50s-60s European cars (a stunning Fiat 8V, a couple Aston Martins, Ferraris, a couple Mercedes), a couple '30s Packards and Rolls Royces, a Shelby GT350R (raced by Pedro Rodriguez), a beautiful '48 Caddy convertible, '57 Olds 98 convertible (incredible chrome trim on the doors), '58 Pontiac Bonneville conv w/ tri-power, a couple Porsche 356s, a unrestored Tucker, a Maserati MC12, a Pantera, a Ferrari Daytona Spyder, etc. A nice relaxed small event.

Afterwards went to the Scottsdale Pavillions cruise in--huge--all sorts of cars from '32 Ford hot rods to suede '50s cars to oodles of muscle cars and '50-60s big cars and lots of Mopies..quite a variety of cars showed up..first time I've been to that..a lot of fun...then dinner in Old Town Scottsdale at the Grapevine (nice to be able to sit out on a rooftop deck and eat dinner in January.

Going to try and go to Russo & Steele tomorrow.

Snow. Not enough to make winter worthy and just enough to cause headaches. That and it's cold. I think the windchill factor constantly stays around levels of THO and shrink-wrapped nuts.

February's coming too ... I hate that month. Frigging terrible time of the year; it's bitterly cold, gray 70 percent of the time, and then there's Valentine's Day just to top it all off.

Fuck winter. Now ask me how I really feel.

Was outside in Rehoboth for a bit with a friend, then to a construction site to look at some things.

Face hurt. Ears hurt. Hands numb. Mouth frozen. Brrrr. Too damn cold, just too damn cold. I've never bought a car in winter before either, and what a mess that's been..."detailed" won't be valid until spring, it seems. Icy dicey doo.

Edited by caddycruiser

Wind Chill Warning for Northern Worcester, MA

Issued by The National Weather Service

Boston, MA

3:18 pm EST, Sun., Jan. 23, 2011

... WIND CHILL WARNING IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 9 AM EST MONDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN TAUNTON HAS ISSUED A WIND CHILL WARNING... WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 9 AM EST MONDAY. THE WIND CHILL WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

* LOCATIONS... SOUTHWEST NEW HAMPSHIRE... CENTRAL AND WESTERN MASSACHUSETTS AND HARTFORD COUNTY CONNECTICUT.

* HAZARDS... DANGEROUSLY COLD WIND CHILL VALUES.

* WIND CHILL VALUES... 25 TO 35 DEGREES BELOW ZERO.

* WINDS... NORTHWEST 5 TO 10 MPH.

* TEMPERATURES... 10 TO 25 DEGREES BELOW ZERO.

* TIMING... LATE TONIGHT THROUGH MID MORNING MONDAY

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WIND CHILL WARNING IS ISSUED WHEN THE WIND CHILL INDEX IS LIKELY TO FALL TO -25 DEGREES OR COLDER FOR AT LEAST 3 HOURS. A WIND CHILL INDEX BELOW -30 CAN BRING ABOUT FROSTBITE IN AS LITTLE AS 10 MINUTES. OUTDOOR EXPOSURE SHOULD BE LIMITED. IF YOU ARE HEADING OUTDOORS... DRESS IN LAYERS AND KEEP YOUR HANDS AND HEAD COVERED TO PROTECT AGAINST FROSTBITE

Another sunny 70 degree day here, blue skies. Went to the Russo & Steele auction. Muscle car overload...saw dozens of Mopies (Challengers, Cudas, GTXes, Road Runners, Chargers, etc), dozens of Chevys (Chevelles, Novas, Impalas, 1st gen Camaros by the truck load, etc). Some standouts from the GM side were the unrestored '64 Pontiac Parisienne Sport coupe, black '68 el Camino Malibu (I newer knew Malibu was a trim level on the el Camino), a '66 427 Biscayne 2dr sedan, several clean '61-64 Impalas...a '65 427 Ford Custom 2dr and '66 427 Ford Custom 2dr...those stripper 2dr sedans are so cool. Probably a couple dozen '69-70 Mach 1s. A couple '71 Boss 351s. a pale blue '70 Boss 429...

Imagine a climate where the winters would have the snow and cold of MN,ND or Buffalo with the summer heat of central AZ. Life would be one continuous hell of unspeakably brutal weather.

Got to find the perfect year-round climate...I think I know where it is...

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

It would seem that mild winters are a thing of the past.

maybe for your area, this year has kinda sucked here, but last year we only had maybe week of 20's ....we had a nice summer in 09, this one was a little rougher, not terrible. this winter seems to have been pretty cold for alot of the country.

I was thinking Haiku has 17 syllables. My thing has 14... not sure if it qualifies, it just sort of rolled out when I read the rest of the thread.

I'm not sure how rigid the definition of haiku is myself, but that's the first thing I thought of. I liked the image it made in my head.

Well they flubbed the latest forecast. I've already plowed 5" of what was supposed to be a a "wintry mix" changing to rain, and at least 2 more inches are already back on the ground as it continues to snow.

Supposedly there will be a lull, with heavy snow starting this afternoon through early tomorrow.

Looks like I will be spending way too much time in the ROPOS missing my sleep.

"I want to testify today about what I believe is a planetary emergency - a crisis that threatens the survival of our civilization and the habitability of the Earth."

-Al Gore testifying on the impact of global warming before the US Congress

haha I figured someone would say that. I was simply stating a quote instead of a sarcastic comment about how global warming really isn't what it's cracked up to be. :)

Global warming is the old word. As scientists gained more understanding of it, the proper term is global climate change. The reason for this is that extended melting of arctic ice due to higher summer temperatures can actually cause record cold weather in Europe.