Chevrolet Teases The New Malibu

The Malibu is coming down in size to give more room to the Impala and a possible RWD Caprice..... and I'm ok with that. Some of the "midsize" cars are so large these days that they are tickling the edge of the full size market.

Even a Fusion, which is on the small side of the mid-size class right now, is the same length as the '87 Taurus.

Agreed on the decklid badging. It's almost as if GM knows the cars it's coming up with now are worthy of their brand names or something.

Call me weird, but I like that "Chevrolet" is spelled out on the trunk lid.

It's a global Chevrolet thing. GM Daewoo and NA Chevy are converging into one brand. This car may be called a Malibu, but it's really a successor to the Epica.

I don't know if I can really cosign this. Obviously the two product lines are converging to eliminate unnecessary overlap, but given the platform heritage, the design heritage, I think this is more Chevrolet than Daewoo.

IMO, the design language is GM Korea ("Chevrolet") but with aggressive "Chevy" fascias front and rear.

I doubt the NA version will get Chevrolet decklid badging.

Global Cruze:

2009-chevrolet-cruze-rear-picture-588x441.jpg

NA Cruze:

2011-Chevrolet-Cruze-Rear-Angle-View.jpg

The Malibu is coming down in size to give more room to the Impala and a possible RWD Caprice..... and I'm ok with that. Some of the "midsize" cars are so large these days that they are tickling the edge of the full size market.

So that it interferes with the Cruze?

Even a Fusion, which is on the small side of the mid-size class right now, is the same length as the '87 Taurus.

'87 Taurus is a mid-size, not a full size, so I'm not getting the point of this. I'm also having some trouble seeing how the 190 inch Fusion is on the smaller side of mid-size. With the Malibu shortening, is it going to drop out of "mid-size"?

I realize that all this "size" involves interior volume, rather than length, but in theory the two should be somewhat directly related... unless certain manufacturers have severe engineering issues when it comes to interior layout...

...which may help explain why some "full size" cars are getting overtaken in interior space by midsizers... many full-sizers are on platforms that are older than dirt.

'87 Taurus is a mid-size, not a full size, so I'm not getting the point of this. I'm also having some trouble seeing how the 190 inch Fusion is on the smaller side of mid-size. With the Malibu shortening, is it going to drop out of "mid-size"?

190 seems to be about the average size of NA market midsize models. The Mazda 6 is one of the shorter ones at 187, and even the Avenger and 200 (which look like the smallest to me) are 190, as is the Regal and Galant. The last 3 generations of Malibu have only varied by a couple of inches in length, and are about the same size as the '80s Celebrity. The Luminas in the '90s were longer (197/200). The W-bodies were considered midsize, but I suppose the Impala is considered fullsize by interior volume.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

I realize that all this "size" involves interior volume, rather than length, but in theory the two should be somewhat directly related... unless certain manufacturers have severe engineering issues when it comes to interior layout...

...which may help explain why some "full size" cars are getting overtaken in interior space by midsizers... many full-sizers are on platforms that are older than dirt.

No. Look at the Verano/Regal/Lacross/Lucerne as a guide to what the sizes will likely be at Chevrolet.

WRT the Fusion: I was saying that a small mid-size today is as large as a large mid-size from 25 years ago. I realize the '87 Taurus was a mid-size, but it was also considered to be quite large and roomy in that class back then.

Agreed on the decklid badging. It's almost as if GM knows the cars it's coming up with now are worthy of their brand names or something.

It's a global Chevrolet thing. GM Daewoo and NA Chevy are converging into one brand. This car may be called a Malibu, but it's really a successor to the Epica.

I don't know if I can really cosign this. Obviously the two product lines are converging to eliminate unnecessary overlap, but given the platform heritage, the design heritage, I think this is more Chevrolet than Daewoo.

IMO, the design language is GM Korea ("Chevrolet") but with aggressive "Chevy" fascias front and rear.

Global Cruze:

NA Cruze:

But I'm talking about the Malibu, not the Cruze. From what we've seen, the upcoming Malibu has a lot of distinctively "American" design elements. Cruze absolutely looks GMDAT, but I can't go there with the Malibu...at least yet with the current photos available.

The Malibu will be shorter by a couple inches but wider per GM. Yes they have to move things a little with the changes in size of several models. The Impala is the prime reason as it will near LaCross size give or take a few inches.

Having Chevrolet on a cars deck lid depends on the size and shape of the rear of the car as to how it looks. As the cars get smaller it is harder to put a long name on a car and keep the styling clean. For example a Chevrolet Spark with the full name on it could be very cluttered. It is hard enought to style a small car as it is with out adding 9+ letters on the back large enough that they are worth while.

Maybe GM should reverse itself and just cut it down to Chevy and put it on the cars. Ford does have an advantage with their name being 4 letters and part of their emblem.

I for the most like less names on a car for a clean look. If the car is styled properly you can tell what it is just by the look of the car. GM has been doing a better job of this lately. Buick, Cadillac and Chevy are all pretty much to the point that from a distance they can be identified.

Simple, emboss the word "C H E V R O L E T" across the rear bumper cover. It would shut out aftermarket parts suppliers and add some detail to the design. Lots of cars have had this element... Saturn, Mustang, Buick...

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Simple, emboss the word "C H E V R O L E T" across the rear bumper cover. It would shut out aftermarket parts suppliers and add some detail to the design. Lots of cars have had this element... Saturn, Mustang, Buick...

or spell it out in separate letters above or on the chrome strip above the license plate area...separate chrome letters spread across the deck/hatch would look good..

Global Cruze:

NA Cruze:

But I'm talking about the Malibu, not the Cruze. From what we've seen, the upcoming Malibu has a lot of distinctively "American" design elements. Cruze absolutely looks GMDAT, but I can't go there with the Malibu...at least yet with the current photos available.

If I recall the Cruze styling was led by a Korean stylist Tae-Wan Kim and the Malibu exterior was led by a American stylist Dan Gifford.

I still hear some say the Malibu looks Korean even though it is not while others still think the Camaro was designed by an American but was done by Sang Yup Lee a Korean.

The truth is auto design has truly gone global as designers from around the world are crossing lines regularly to auto mfg of different countries. Lee is now doing VW, Audi's work. Heck we had an American [Morocco born] Frank Stephenson for a while doing Ferrai's and the Mini.

One can no longer ID the home country of a designer based on the looks of his work anymore.

Edited by hyperv6
  • Agree 1

or spell it out in separate letters above or on the chrome strip above the license plate area...separate chrome letters spread across the deck/hatch would look good..

ya could just glue on some great big letters.....

2011-ford-flex-titanium-opt.jpg

If I recall the Cruze styling was led by a Korean stylist Tae-Wan Kim and the Malibu exterior was led by a American stylist Dan Gifford.

I still hear some say the Malibu looks Korean even though it is not while others still think the Camaro was designed by an American but was done by Sang Yup Lee a Korean.

The truth is auto design has truly gone global as designers from around the world are crossing lines regularly to auto mfg of different countries. Lee is now doing VW, Audi's work. Heck we had an American [Morocco born] Frank Stephenson for a while doing Ferrai's and the Mini.

One can no longer ID the home country of a designer based on the looks of his work anymore.

Truth.

The truth is auto design has truly gone global as designers from around the world are crossing lines regularly to auto mfg of different countries...

...One can no longer ID the home country of a designer based on the looks of his work anymore.

I find this fact very comforting.

Edited by §carlet §wordfish

Several concerns with this new Malibu starting with weight, mileage, lack of V6 and will it have all the features that most of it's competitors have such as LED taillights, optional NAV, rear seat center armrest, keyless start, enough power to at least keep up with a V6 Camry and Accord, a larger trunk than the current car and more back seat legroom than the current Regal. The Regal falters in many of these areas with rather meager back seat leg/knee room with the seat more than part way back, a smallish trunk, 4 cylinder power and noise with V6 gas mileage, 3700 LBS of weight and not even a place to store your sun glasses overhead. I sure hope most of these issues can be resolved before this car debuts.

even with the short wheelbase, the new Malibu is supposed to have improved rear leg room.

Maybe..the wierd thing about the wheelbases is I wonder why the LWB Epsilon II has a shorter wheelbase (111.7) than the Epsilon I (112.3, current Malibu)...I assume the Epsilon II Malibu will get the Regal's wheelbase (107.8 ).

^ The one thing we DO kno via the pic at the top of this thread is that it'll have LED taillights, tho I would not term this a "feature", per say. IE: it's an intangible. Trunk volume on the current car is pretty good, it's just the opening that could be larger.

Yes the trunk is fine for size as it goes way in on the car. The real issue is the opening size and shape. You just can not put anything of great volume in unless it is low height.

I think on the new car they moved the trunk back to give a better opening and keep the volume similar By moving the trunk back too. This it also would let them move the rear seat back a little. Also the lid may be a little higher to give more opening height.

Edited by hyperv6

Cars, in general, and including the Malibu, are too narrow.

Yeah, and a downside of global models is they are narrower in general than NA-specific models..

The new Malibu is said to be wider than the current model.

It should gain in the same areas as the Regal. The Regal gives more elbow and hip room and feel more good size wise. While the Bu is not bad the interior feels long and narrower compared to most cars.

What I worry about is will the new car really leap forward a lot or just a little. I am sure the new Malibu will be improved over the old one in most way. The real question is will it leap ahead on the other makes enough to stay at the front of the class more then a couple months. Lets face it the Cruze was a leap ahead for 4-6 months and now it is still a good car but just not the leader anymore.

GM got the Cruze caught up to the others but it really needed to move ahead. I know the BK had a lot to do with this but I really hope GM's new cars from here forward really move ahead and remain the ones others have to chase.

Edited by hyperv6

As it stands I'm sure the next Malibu will be a knock out.

This.

We already see GM knows how to get NA products correct in their latest installments. I think this next Malibu will be a leap in quality just as each Malibu took a step over its predecessor since 1997's release. I anticipate the soft-touch materials and features we've been craving... after all, just from the interior spy photos we've seen push-button start, dual zone climate control, navigation, etc. Now that I saw that little animation, I have less qualms about the overhangs--I think that little thing looks sporty and muscular. I know it's too early to really give a sure opinion, but I have higher hopes than I did.

My major concern still lies in the weight. That affects a lot.

As it stands I'm sure the next Malibu will be a knock out.

This.

We already see GM knows how to get NA products correct in their latest installments. I think this next Malibu will be a leap in quality just as each Malibu took a step over its predecessor since 1997's release. I anticipate the soft-touch materials and features we've been craving... after all, just from the interior spy photos we've seen push-button start, dual zone climate control, navigation, etc. Now that I saw that little animation, I have less qualms about the overhangs--I think that little thing looks sporty and muscular. I know it's too early to really give a sure opinion, but I have higher hopes than I did.

My major concern still lies in the weight. That affects a lot.

I am affraid the weight is going to be an issue till they update this platform. Unless they move to use more Boron steel or other higher cost materials it is difficult to remove much weight with out comprimising the platform. They can make small gains but it is very difficult to make large gains.

I think it's most likely that the Malibu weight = Regal weight - quiet tuning

That's what I figured. I also figured they'd leave a little in so the car is Camry-quiet, but all in all, won't save a good deal of weight.

I really like what we see of the styling. That said I am still concerned about weight and powertrain issues. I don't care if it's all 4 cylinder but the turbo model needs to be the update 2.0 from the get go. It has to have good mpg and acceleration.

looks good. Like those taillights. Can't really make out the nose because of the headlight glare, but I think that's what they meant to do.

We have seen the nose already, me thinks.

We have in the Whitaker spot on the money back deal as he walks through the tech center. They hid it in plain sight.

I really like what we see of the styling. That said I am still concerned about weight and powertrain issues. I don't care if it's all 4 cylinder but the turbo model needs to be the update 2.0 from the get go. It has to have good mpg and acceleration.

The Turbo must meet the performace of the present V6 with better MPG.

I think they can do that but I worry they will yield to the MPG factor that is looming in 2015.

its a shame the new malibu is not going to be big as the Oldsmobile Intrigue or even Saturn Aura.

I don't agree. The Intrigue, being a W-body, was just big for the sake of big because interior room (especially rear seat room) is cramped for such a large car. Very poor use of space. Versus the Aura, well the current Malibu compares very similarly, and we know the new one will be slightly shorter in length, but a little wider in width--one of the few shortcomings of the current model. I highly doubt interior space will be compromised--like the 2nd-gen Aurora: smaller on the outside, bigger inside.

I agree the present Bu has really good leg room and I expect it will be as good or better in the new one. The extra width will also be put to good use.

My 04 W body is not the best use of interior space. The rear seat in the GP is the worst I have ever seen in a GM car.

Edited by hyperv6

My 04 W body is not the best use of interior space. The rear seat in the GP is the worst I have ever seen in a GM car.

Worse than the J- and F-bodies?!?! :lol:

By far! Leg room is ok but the seat is as hard as a wood plank. The back rest is even worse. GM upgraded the seat once in 04 and I have the later one. It is still not something I would want to spend time in. The only rear seat I have been in that is worse is a 911.

I agree the present Bu has really good leg room and I expect it will be as good or better in the new one. The extra width will also be put to good use.

I think you mean just the GP then.

I think you mean just the GP then.

Interesting...is the GP back seat so bad because the rear interior height is reduced because of the low, slanty roofline? Don't think I've heard similar complaints about the other late Ws (Impala, LaCrosse)..

Interesting...is the GP back seat so bad because the rear interior height is reduced because of the low, slanty roofline? Don't think I've heard similar complaints about the other late Ws (Impala, LaCrosse)..

Actually, the '04-'08 W-bodies are slightly taller than the '97-'03 ones. I think GM just hiked the seats up, to give short people a more SUV-like view of the road... and didn't bother to give the seats any ability to be lowered. Plus, at least in the GP, the front seats are like 9+ inches deep, front-back. No seat needs to waste this much space.

I didn't have such a good time in a W-body Impala, either. Haven't been in a LaCrosse.

Actually, the '04-'08 W-bodies are slightly taller than the '97-'03 ones. I think GM just hiked the seats up, to give short people a more SUV-like view of the road... and didn't bother to give the seats any ability to be lowered. Plus, at least in the GP, the front seats are like 9+ inches deep, front-back. No seat needs to waste this much space.

I didn't have such a good time in a W-body Impala, either. Haven't been in a LaCrosse.

Come to think of it, I vaguely remember reading the description on the last Regal/Century "theatre seating" or something like that, where the rear seats would be higher or something.

From my recollection, the '04 & up GP RR seat is very flat (bottom & back), very hard & very uncomfortable. Rising beltline & "4-dr coupe" :stupid: roofline contribute to sense of entombment. '03 GP RR has plenty of room & comfortable seating. Visibility there is also fine.

The visiability in the 04 is fine as long as you are 5.35-6 feet tall. My son has seen little of the world till he got taller in the booster seat.

The main issues are seat padding is like a thin padded seat in a cannoe and the leg room is not generous. The seats in this car do take up alot of room and the 08 Malibu show how well the seats can make room for the back seat. The interior materials are also better than the 04 but much worse than the 08 Bu. They improved some areas but the cheap leather and some of the plastic on the dash is horrid.

If we had not got such a good deal on a new 04 GTP Comp G I would have never bought it. But they came off sticker by near $10,000 it was hard to pass up. This was not even at the end of the year either. At $22K it made a very good buy. Besides I did not have to sit in the back.

The real beaf I have with the earlier car is in these parts the rocker panels are gone on most of the cars. The GT the plastic cover them but on the SE there is little left on most of them. Guys at work have bought them for winter beaters and have found low milage cars with rocker gone at a good price.

On the othet hand my 04 has one of the best brake system I have ever had on a GM car. Even with the wife driving hard in town we still get 60K+ miles out of the pads. The Bosch electronic porportioning system on it does a good job of regulating the presure.

But over all the 08 Malibu with the V6, 6 speed with the top suspension shows how this car had aged. The Bu is as fast and handles nearly as well with a much more quiet and softer ride if optioned right. It just lacks the sportiness in the styling.

Edited by hyperv6