Chevrolet Teases The New Malibu

FYI anyone see the new teaser photo of the interior They have the screen on the dash lit up and it look pretty good. I do wonder how the surround on the screen will look in person. Cheap or good?

Link?

2013chevroletmalibultz0.jpg

Again this is another lets see what the whole thing looks photo before we really can itelligently praise or condem it.

Wow, that does look pretty good. I think I could enjoy the "ridged" dual-cockpit design if they used accent lighting at night... seems like they did.

I agree the present Bu has really good leg room and I expect it will be as good or better in the new one. The extra width will also be put to good use.

My 04 W body is not the best use of interior space. The rear seat in the GP is the worst I have ever seen in a GM car.

I think you mean just the GP then.

Interesting...is the GP back seat so bad because the rear interior height is reduced because of the low, slanty roofline? Don't think I've heard similar complaints about the other late Ws (Impala, LaCrosse)..

One thing I hate about my Impala is that you can't get your feet under the front seat when sitting in the back (this was somewhat rectified in the 2009 new seat), the Regal is actually, I find, more comfortable out back despite the loss of an inch of wheelbase. The W-Lacrosses we've rented didn't have any of these issues and I found it to be by far the most comfortable of the three.

Let's forget weight, design, performance and even small mpg gains for a minute. Not that these aren't important, but they are NOT the most important things about a car in this category. The Camry is not the weight, design, performance or mpg leader... yet it outsells current (very respectable) Malibu 3:1 to 4:1 depending on which sales period you look at.

The current Malibu has a few big issues which matter to family sedan buyers more than the shape of the tail lights or even whether the car gets 30 mpg or 32.

• The trunk is disproportionately small and shallow for the size of the car.
  • The headroom in the car is worst in class and the seats don't drop low enough to the floorboard even for a 5' 9" person like me.
  • The arching roof line is pretty, but the windows are small and the beltline is catastrophically high for small ladies.

In short the Bu is a big car that manages to feel small. Going to a shorter platform doesn't make it easier to address these questions, so they better try really hard. That, or bring over the VE Commodore as an Impala.

Edited by dwightlooi

The teaser photo of the interior looks promising. It looks like there will be a big upgrade from the current car, and finally GM realized that touch-screen nav is popular, something that should have been on the 2008 car. I'd like to see the whole interior, but so far I like what I see. And the current Malibu's interior isn't bad, but nothing really wows me about it either.

• The headroom in the car is worst in class and the seats don't drop low enough to the floorboard even for a 5' 9" person like me.
  • The arching roof line is pretty, but the windows are small and the beltline is catastrophically high for small ladies.

In short the Bu is a big car that manages to feel small.

If we're going to address specifics with a goal of improvement, we need to get the details right.

• The trunk is NOT disproportionately small nor shallow. The trunk cavity is sized very appropriately for the size of the car. What IS an issue for some owners is the trunk opening, which due to the tapered roofline, is relatively small. This only affects large, rigid items, tho I note that my son's 2x12 combo amp (22"x27"x11") slides right in (along with 2 hard-cased guitars and other gear). If you are trying to put something larger in, perhaps you need a larger car. But trunk volume is quite respectable.

• Headroom is fine for me & we're the same height.

• wife is 5'3"- she has no complaints about the beltline whatsoever. "Catastrophically" is without question an overstatement... unless perhaps you were talking about people 5'0" and shorter.

The trunk opening is a valid complaint (again- depends on what you're normally packing), and another is the rearward / 3/4-rear visibility. Sailing C-pillars are the culprit there- price paid for style. I personally would like the car to be AT LEAST 3" wider, but that's also not a 'catastrophic' situation.

If we're going to address specifics with a goal of improvement, we need to get the details right.

• The trunk is NOT disproportionately small nor shallow. The trunk cavity is sized very appropriately for the size of the car. What IS an issue for some owners is the trunk opening, which due to the tapered roofline, is relatively small. This only affects large, rigid items, tho I note that my son's 2x12 combo amp (22"x27"x11") slides right in (along with 2 hard-cased guitars and other gear). If you are trying to put something larger in, perhaps you need a larger car. But trunk volume is quite respectable.

• wife is 5'3"- she has no complaints about the beltline whatsoever. "Catastrophically" is without question an overstatement... unless perhaps you were talking about people 5'0" and shorter.

The trunk opening is a valid complaint (again- depends on what you're normally packing), and another is the rearward / 3/4-rear visibility. Sailing C-pillars are the culprit there- price paid for style. I personally would like the car to be AT LEAST 3" wider, but that's also not a 'catastrophic' situation.

I have to second all these statments as a owner of a 08 Bu.

The trunk size is fine the opening is too small to get any large box sized items into it. Improve the opening and the trunk would be fine.

The head room is not an issue and I am almost 6 foot. Even with a hat on I have yet to have any head room issues.

The window is fine for my wife at 5'3".

Visability is not an issue as I drive with the mirrors. I have two other cars with much worse blind spots and the Bu is no issues. I do agree the added with of the new car is not a must but it will be welcomed all the same. A little more room is never a bad thing.

To really know a Malibu one needs to own one and live with it. While it is not a perfect car it is a pretty good car just in need of an update and features GM could not afford when it was last redone.

Edited by hyperv6
  • Agree 1

The trunk size is fine the opening is too small to get any large box sized items into it. Improve the opening and the trunk would be fine.

Actually, I think the culprit is the multi-axis joint used to couple the trunk lid to the trunk. It gives it an upmarket feel (ala the 2001 Passat) but it also makes the trunk opening about 6 inches narrower and about 2 inches shorter than a run of the mill J-joint would have afforded.

The head room is not an issue and I am almost 6 foot. Even with a hat on I have yet to have any head room issues.

The window is fine for my wife at 5'3".

Visability is not an issue as I drive with the mirrors. I have two other cars with much worse blind spots and the Bu is no issues. I do agree the added with of the new car is not a must but it will be welcomed all the same. A little more room is never a bad thing.

To really know a Malibu one needs to own one and live with it. While it is not a perfect car it is a pretty good car just in need of an update and features GM could not afford when it was last redone.

Agreed. The Malibu is a great car; it jut needs an update for the next product cycle. Given what has been leaked, I have no doubts the new one will be more than adequate in meeting the demands of the uber-competitive marketplace.

Actually, I think the culprit is the multi-axis joint used to couple the trunk lid to the trunk. It gives it an upmarket feel (ala the 2001 Passat) but it also makes the trunk opening about 6 inches narrower and about 2 inches shorter than a run of the mill J-joint would have afforded.

The trunk hing is really one the best as it does not take up any room on the inside and has little effect on getting items in.

The problem is the distance of the lift over to the top edge that is very short and prevent boxes of large volume shapes from fitting in the hole.

This is a common problem for any small car with a short trunk lid. The Cobalt has the same issues. If the trunk lift over was a little lower or the trunk lid was a longer the issues would be resolved no matter the hing.

Even my GTP has the same issues as the trunk is not deep and the trunk lid is short. It just comes down to simple geometry that would solve this problem.

IF anything the articulated hinges cost more but save a hell of a lot of space inside the trunk.

Edited by hyperv6

I don't know why they don't go back to torsion rods & compact hinges- the 2 current common trunk opening situations either impede into the cavity too much or force the opening smaller. Torsion rods answer both those issues.

or even the gas struts I have on my Toronado. Yes they give out after about 12 - 15 years, but they are an $8 each replacement. You'll spend more than that on lightbulbs over the same time period.

I don't know why they don't go back to torsion rods & compact hinges- the 2 current common trunk opening situations either impede into the cavity too much or force the opening smaller. Torsion rods answer both those issues.

or even the gas struts I have on my Toronado. Yes they give out after about 12 - 15 years, but they are an $8 each replacement. You'll spend more than that on lightbulbs over the same time period.

Wait, you NVH snobs would tolerate the Zsssssssssssssssssssssssssshhhhhh noise that gas struts make? Shocking. (No pun intended)

For the record the Cruze and Malibu have the same trunk volume... Cruze has gooseneck hinges though.

Malibu's trunk needs to be bigger AND have a larger opening. Current trunk is deep enough, it's just not very tall. Coupled with a restrictive opening, it pretty much needs to improve to be fit for family use.

Visibility and closed in feeling are another problem, Malibu now is too much of a low rider for a family sedan. It's stylish, but at some point it wouldn't hurt to have a slightly higher seating position, better visibility, more comfort, more space efficiency for the size of car.

Let's hope chevy fixes the cheap interior, too.

Edited by regfootball

We know the weheelbase on this will be the same as the Regal/Insignia, but since everyone is so concerned about trunk space, would it be possible that the Malibu could use the Insignia wagon's rear overhang dimensions (roughly 100mm longer than the Insignia sedan's)? IIRC Epsilon 2 is said to be modular enough to allow for that...

Edited by ZL-1

Malibu's trunk needs to be bigger AND have a larger opening. Current trunk is deep enough, it's just not very tall. Coupled with a restrictive opening, it pretty much needs to improve to be fit for family use.

Visibility and closed in feeling are another problem, Malibu now is too much of a low rider for a family sedan. It's stylish, but at some point it wouldn't hurt to have a slightly higher seating position, better visibility, more comfort, more space efficiency for the size of car.

Going to disagree here also. Trunk volume is quite good- certainly appropriate for family use. It's 90% of the larger W-body's trunk in volume (guesstimate) and the height is absolutely fine. More trunk height automatically means a higher decklid- and decreased rearward visibility. More height is an invalid call. Trunk opening is not, but it's no deal breaker, either.

Malibu is no lower than the W-body. Cars are getting way too tall as it is- you want height buy an Equinox. Car should NOT try and replicate a 'CUV Lite' formula- that's why we call them cars and not CUVs. Some people like cars to remain lower, just like some demand AWD in everything on the road. ;)

Comfort is very good, but personally I like more flexibility in movement- IE; more space. This is not a byproduct of 'space efficiency', but one of exterior size.

Interior is also, in no way "cheap".

Reg- it's been made abundantly clear you dislike this car, or at the very least have a ready laundry list of items to criticize.

You might consider your point made, and drop the harping.

Going to disagree here also. Trunk volume is quite good- certainly appropriate for family use. It's 90% of the larger W-body's trunk in volume (guesstimate) and the height is absolutely fine. More trunk height automatically means a higher decklid- and decreased rearward visibility. More height is an invalid call. Trunk opening is not, but it's no deal breaker, either.

Malibu is no lower than the W-body. Cars are getting way too tall as it is- you want height buy an Equinox. Car should NOT try and replicate a 'CUV Lite' formula- that's why we call them cars and not CUVs. Some people like cars to remain lower, just like some demand AWD in everything on the road. ;)

Comfort is very good, but personally I like more flexibility in movement- IE; more space. This is not a byproduct of 'space efficiency', but one of exterior size.

Interior is also, in no way "cheap".

Reg- it's been made abundantly clear you dislike this car, or at the very least have a ready laundry list of items to criticize.

You might consider your point made, and drop the harping.

You are correct on the trunk size as I own the last gen GTP and 08 Bu and 90% is a fair estimate. It only lacks a little in width. The length is neat the same as the GTP.

The tunk lid is shorter on the Bu by a hair but even the GTP is too short to let large square items enter the trunk space that is large enough to hold them. All the Bu needs is a longer trunk lid to give better acsess to the space provided. Nothing more or less is needed as the new car will give the width neat the same as the W gives.

As for anything cheap on a Malibu. Well I think this impression is give by the may LS models out there that have solid colors and the lower standard interiros. The LT2 and LTZ have very nice interiors and were very nice when intro's. The problem is like the Cruze that other new models came out right after the GM cars did and raised the bar.

FOr the money the Malibu is a very nice car. I was able to get a new LT2 dirt Cheap and could not have been happier. The car was bought intended for my mom who drives it the most. She loves it. I for the most really did not care one way or the other about this car when we bought it. I figured it would suit her needs and it would make her happy. Well as it turns out the more I drove it the more I loves it. For the most I would take this car over my Comp G.

I loved the GTP but after spending time in the LT2 it has shown me the many short comings of the GTP. To be fair the Maliu is a 4 year newer car but it was still on a old platform. I think the Lutz factor was in play here. I know it is not a sports sedan or even claims to be but the V6 with the six speed and the up level suspension make for a pleasing drive with a good quiet ride. The GTP will bop you around and no where near as quiet. The platform is much stiffer also as you can feel it in the steering and in the seat of the pants.

hyperv6 ~ >>"You are correct on the trunk size as I own the last gen GTP and 08 Bu and 90% is a fair estimate. It only lacks a little in width. The length is nea{rly} the same as the GTP."<<

And I am comparing it directly with an '03 GP- length is guaranteed to be right around 1" less.

Just checked: '03 GP length on floor: 45", '09 Malibu: 44.25"

>>"The tunk lid is shorter on the Bu by a hair but even the GTP is too short to let large square items enter the trunk space that is large enough to hold them. All the Bu needs is a longer trunk lid to give better acsess to the space provided. Nothing more or less is needed as the new car will give the width neat the same as the W gives."<<

More just measured trunk numbers ::

Shortest opening dimension, front to back, centerline of car: '03 GP : 18.5", Malibu: 15.5".

Shortest opening, side to side : '03 GP : 43.25", Malibu: 37.25".

You notice the front-to-rear opening dimension right off, but the width difference (which is considerable), has not yet come into play as far as my family stuffing bulky items in. Guess we haven't tried items in that width range. I'm a contractor with a 'professional' eye and I didn't catch the difference here. I don't feel this is a factor- but coming from a full-size car background everything could be wider.

Trunk height, center of car : '03 GP : 18.75" Malibu : 17"*

*Problem here is, near the trunk opening it is 17", but farther in, 'stuff' in the rear package tray area protrudes into the Malibu's trunk where it does NOT in the '03 GP. While this is not welcome IMO, the fact that you are primarily limited with bulky/rigid items by the trunk opening, the Malibu necks down to around 14" toward the back seat. Again, son's 22"x27"x11" guitar amp (which weighs 53 lbs) is the largest item I believe we've put in there, and it goes in fine.

>>"As for anything cheap on a Malibu. Well I think this impression is give by the may LS models out there that have solid colors and the lower standard interiros. The LT2 and LTZ have very nice interiors and were very nice when intro's. The problem is like the Cruze that other new models came out right after the GM cars did and raised the bar.

FOr the money the Malibu is a very nice car. I was able to get a new LT2 dirt Cheap and could not have been happier. The car was bought intended for my mom who drives it the most. She loves it. I for the most really did not care one way or the other about this car when we bought it. I figured it would suit her needs and it would make her happy. Well as it turns out the more I drove it the more I loves it. For the most I would take this car over my Comp G."<<

Wife also has the 2LT w/ the solid black interior. This is a very nice space to be in, and even tho there's no comparison, I do not feel the burning necessity to be in the Malibu over the GP- I don't get that wrapped up in car interiors (at least in this case). Give me real space (not the lame 'space efficiency' claim) and that means a lot more to me that the softness of surfaces I never touch. Wife has NO desire to drive the GP tho.

I wonder if it's structurally possible to manufacture a clamshell trunklid. You could then stuff maximum-sized rigid items in there no problem. Panel seams cannot be an issue- cars today are loaded with those.

Edited by balthazar

holy crap just because i point out a couple flaws with a GM car, I am harping on it? Holy &#036;h&#33; you all are sensitive.

For the record, if you read user reviews and road tests of many other sources of the Malibu, you will find those exact concerns repeated en masse. Edmunds, any of the car sites, etc.

And if that weren't enough, since Chevy is making the 013 Malibu with a larger trunk, taller roof and rear, nicer interior and more space inside, maybe that ought to give you a clue that Chevy's own feedback is telling them that's what customer's want also.

For the record, I like the Malibu a lot. But its really head in the sand to totally dismiss common concerns about the car.

As with everything in life, your results will vary. As for my own opinions, they are non-negotiable by others. And as far as saying I hate the car, since you're wrong, I would simply ask you not put words in my mouth.

Have a nice day.

hyperv6 ~ >>"You are correct on the trunk size as I own the last gen GTP and 08 Bu and 90% is a fair estimate. It only lacks a little in width. The length is nea{rly} the same as the GTP."<<

And I am comparing it directly with an '03 GP- length is guaranteed to be right around 1" less.

Just checked: '03 GP length on floor: 45", '09 Malibu: 44.25"

>>"The tunk lid is shorter on the Bu by a hair but even the GTP is too short to let large square items enter the trunk space that is large enough to hold them. All the Bu needs is a longer trunk lid to give better acsess to the space provided. Nothing more or less is needed as the new car will give the width neat the same as the W gives."<<

More just measured trunk numbers ::

Shortest opening dimension, front to back, centerline of car: '03 GP : 18.5", Malibu: 15.5".

Shortest opening, side to side : '03 GP : 43.25", Malibu: 37.25".

You notice the front-to-rear opening dimension right off, but the width difference (which is considerable), has not yet come into play as far as my family stuffing bulky items in. Guess we haven't tried items in that width range. I'm a contractor with a 'professional' eye and I didn't catch the difference here. I don't feel this is a factor- but coming from a full-size car background everything could be wider.

Trunk height, center of car : '03 GP : 18.75" Malibu : 17"*

*Problem here is, near the trunk opening it is 17", but farther in, 'stuff' in the rear package tray area protrudes into the Malibu's trunk where it does NOT in the '03 GP. While this is not welcome IMO, the fact that you are primarily limited with bulky/rigid items by the trunk opening, the Malibu necks down to around 14" toward the back seat. Again, son's 22"x27"x11" guitar amp (which weighs 53 lbs) is the largest item I believe we've put in there, and it goes in fine.

>>"As for anything cheap on a Malibu. Well I think this impression is give by the may LS models out there that have solid colors and the lower standard interiros. The LT2 and LTZ have very nice interiors and were very nice when intro's. The problem is like the Cruze that other new models came out right after the GM cars did and raised the bar.

FOr the money the Malibu is a very nice car. I was able to get a new LT2 dirt Cheap and could not have been happier. The car was bought intended for my mom who drives it the most. She loves it. I for the most really did not care one way or the other about this car when we bought it. I figured it would suit her needs and it would make her happy. Well as it turns out the more I drove it the more I loves it. For the most I would take this car over my Comp G."<<

Wife also has the 2LT w/ the solid black interior. This is a very nice space to be in, and even tho there's no comparison, I do not feel the burning necessity to be in the Malibu over the GP- I don't get that wrapped up in car interiors (at least in this case). Give me real space (not the lame 'space efficiency' claim) and that means a lot more to me that the softness of surfaces I never touch. Wife has NO desire to drive the GP tho.

I wonder if it's structurally possible to manufacture a clamshell trunklid. You could then stuff maximum-sized rigid items in there no problem. Panel seams cannot be an issue- cars today are loaded with those.

The Malibu's primary problem as far as people's impressions on the interior may lie with the door panels. If I am not mistaken, all levels of Malibu trim have the less than lavish door panels.

holy crap just because i point out a couple flaws with a GM car, I am harping on it? Holy $h! you all are sensitive. For the record, if you read user reviews and road tests of many other sources of the Malibu, you will find those exact concerns repeated en masse. Edmunds, any of the car sites, etc. And if that weren't enough, since Chevy is making the 013 Malibu with a larger trunk, taller roof and rear, nicer interior and more space inside, maybe that ought to give you a clue that Chevy's own feedback is telling them that's what customer's want also.

For the record, I like the Malibu a lot. But its really head in the sand to totally dismiss common concerns about the car. As with everything in life, your results will vary. As for my own opinions, they are non-negotiable by others. And as far as saying I hate the car, since you're wrong, I would simply ask you not put words in my mouth.

How many times have you "pointed out a couple of flaws" with the sweeping generalization "cheap interior" ?? Oooo, the door panels are 'less than stellar' so the entire interior is "Cheap" :rolleyes: These are your words, not ones I am attributing to you.

Again, if the goal of commentary is one of improvement, we should be accurate, not generalizing. Otherwise, how to progress?

Something will bug a few reviewers (isn't it their job to find things to harp on, unless it's German??) on the next Malibu interior, which seemingly may only need nicer door panels over the current car, and yet again someone will dub it a "cheap interior". I object to the hyperbole & the generalizations - they need to stop. We're still stuck on the same degree of terminology as back when -for EX- some japanese interiors were measurably nicer than some American interiors. Then, "cheap interior" and 'crappy' and 'horrible' and such terms had weight. Now the gap is usually imperceptible, and the terms are overwrought. But address specifics and we can all agree more readily.

I agreed to what you pointed out where I found it to be legitimate, so I am hardly "totally dismissing" all comments. Larger trunk, more interior space, nicer interior (not much room for improvement there IMO) are all good moves forward. It doesn't take a few rag reviews for manufacturers to know this- look at the accord or 3-series bloating over the years. Unfortunately, taller roof & rear deck aren't moves forward- they are compromises.

And I said 'dislike', not 'hate'. But that impression is a result of the hyperbole, which distorts your impressions.

haven't read all of this, .. anyone mention that the 2011 'bu only has the 2.4L available?

I didn't even know that til now. Why did the drop the 3.6?!

EDIT: The website says the 3.6 is optional on all trims.

Edited by Paolino

Going to disagree here also. Trunk volume is quite good- certainly appropriate for family use. It's 90% of the larger W-body's trunk in volume

Actually, not even close.

Impala 18.5 cu.ft

Malibu 15.1 cu.ft

Cruze 15.0 cu.ft

Edited by vonVeezelsnider

holy crap just because i point out a couple flaws with a GM car, I am harping on it? Holy $h! you all are sensitive. For the record, if you read user reviews and road tests of many other sources of the Malibu, you will find those exact concerns repeated en masse. Edmunds, any of the car sites, etc. And if that weren't enough, since Chevy is making the 013 Malibu with a larger trunk, taller roof and rear, nicer interior and more space inside, maybe that ought to give you a clue that Chevy's own feedback is telling them that's what customer's want also.

For the record, I like the Malibu a lot. But its really head in the sand to totally dismiss common concerns about the car. As with everything in life, your results will vary. As for my own opinions, they are non-negotiable by others. And as far as saying I hate the car, since you're wrong, I would simply ask you not put words in my mouth.

How many times have you "pointed out a couple of flaws" with the sweeping generalization "cheap interior" ?? Oooo, the door panels are 'less than stellar' so the entire interior is "Cheap" :rolleyes: These are your words, not ones I am attributing to you.

Again, if the goal of commentary is one of improvement, we should be accurate, not generalizing. Otherwise, how to progress?

Something will bug a few reviewers (isn't it their job to find things to harp on, unless it's German??) on the next Malibu interior, which seemingly may only need nicer door panels over the current car, and yet again someone will dub it a "cheap interior". I object to the hyperbole & the generalizations - they need to stop. We're still stuck on the same degree of terminology as back when -for EX- some japanese interiors were measurably nicer than some American interiors. Then, "cheap interior" and 'crappy' and 'horrible' and such terms had weight. Now the gap is usually imperceptible, and the terms are overwrought. But address specifics and we can all agree more readily.

I agreed to what you pointed out where I found it to be legitimate, so I am hardly "totally dismissing" all comments. Larger trunk, more interior space, nicer interior (not much room for improvement there IMO) are all good moves forward. It doesn't take a few rag reviews for manufacturers to know this- look at the accord or 3-series bloating over the years. Unfortunately, taller roof & rear deck aren't moves forward- they are compromises.

And I said 'dislike', not 'hate'. But that impression is a result of the hyperbole, which distorts your impressions.

in most builds, the accord's interior is a steaming pile of turd.

Going to disagree here also. Trunk volume is quite good- certainly appropriate for family use. It's 90% of the larger W-body's trunk in volume

Actually, not even close.

Impala 18.5 cu.ft

Malibu 15.1 cu.ft

Cruze 15.0 cu.ft

Actually, the Malibu is damn close to the W-body. The Impala is a W-2000, and not comparable to the discussion at hand. Hyper's Grand Prix and the original LaCrosse, true W-bodies, held 16 cu. ft. of cargo space, meaning the Malibu holds 94% as much. An Intrigue held 17.4 cu. ft. (Malibu is 87% of that), Regal and Century held 16.7 cu. ft. (Malibu is 90% of that).

We can all spit hairs over the size but volume is never an issues with this car. The real issue is just getting the crap to fit through the opening to get it in there.

One get tired of opening boxes in parking lots just to get the item in the opening. More width would make no difference and more depth would help only a little. Get tme more room from the lift ovver to the top edge just below the window and you can fit more items. The trunk will take suit cased fine but large and square forget it.

Note the rear doors on the 04 GTP were made to open wider to accept larger items. The reason GM never gave was that they would not fit in the back opening.

As for door panels and interior the Malibu's materials are as good or better than most in class. I was just in a new Fusion and while nice I found it no better or worse. I also agree the Honda leaves a lot of room for improvment. The thing with the Maliu is the lack of features or the need to buy a higher level to get things like Climate Control. The LTZ is not really a good value but a 2LT is even loaded up. From what I can see the new car will over more features but it will be intersting to see if you will be able to get some of the other items on the 2 LT with out the need to spend $4K more just to get Climate control with other unneeded items like a rear shade and rear converter plug in for the back seat. A few more ala cart items would be nice.

As for the MPG I should point out on the road it does well but around town it is a little low for a car this size. Not bad but it will need to get better hence the 4 cylinder only deal. I don't like the lack of a V6 but understand and know a properly tuned Turbo 4 can do the job.

Based on the "leaked" photo, my fears are largely allayed. That is a good looking, very clear heir, with some welcome athleticism and dynamism thrown in... another piece of evidence that at least some parts of GM's design house understand what made GM cars great in the past. Love me a coke bottle GM car! Makes the Cruze look positively alien and alone, time for a serious facelift already.

Based on the "leaked" photo, my fears are largely allayed. That is a good looking, very clear heir, with some welcome athleticism and dynamism thrown in... another piece of evidence that at least some parts of GM's design house understand what made GM cars great in the past. Love me a coke bottle GM car! Makes the Cruze look positively alien and alone, time for a serious facelift already.

I like them both, in different ways. Both are world-class vehicles from what we've seen, and I am glad that both have become as popular as they have, especially given the 2003 Malibu and the Cobalt.

I think the two front ends (Cruze and Malibu) are close enough for the Cruze not to need a restyling. The Cruze's behind, on the other hand, might need a little tweak...

Re the Malibu: that LTZ looks really nice, so I hope the lower trim versions do not loose too much.

I think the two front ends (Cruze and Malibu) are close enough for the Cruze not to need a restyling. The Cruze's behind, on the other hand, might need a little tweak...

Re the Malibu: that LTZ looks really nice, so I hope the lower trim versions do not loose too much.

My guess: grille brightwork, fog lamps, fog lamp surround brightwork...just like the current 'Bu.

The nose is pretty much what we saw in the Whittaker spot a year ago.

This car will do fine. I can remember the post in with the Patten drawings and how many got in a panic attack. Now that it is in sheet metal more have come around to understand the cars is a lot better than they thought. I expect more will be won once they see the car in person.

Though I'd really like to see a side profile shot before making final judgment, it looks like this is going to be a very nice car. Easily the looker of the segment.

Meh.

The nose is looking very evolutionary, adding cues taken from other cars... by the time it gets here, the rest of the industry will be showing off the next fads.

I like the muscular hints of the body, but I want to see them from other angles before passing judgement. Knowing the taillights hint of Camaro, I fear the final result is another mixed up design where the front and back look like they are from different cars. I think the design needs more cohesiveness.

• 3 months later...

When supposedly car guys start choosing Hyundais over American style and obvious quality(e.g. Malibu, Regal,Camaro,Challenger....),especially when its been pretty consistent over the last decade, I get nauseous. There is a phenomena called "expert from afar". It kinda goes like this. people will believe(more impressed) when introduced to someone as an expert who is from far away geographically. They almost always allow more credibility to the "same person" rather than one who is local. I tend to think this same way of thinking applys to cars, as American cars lack that mystique of being from way over there. we build up an assumption in our mind that they somehow build a superior car,because it has been reinforced to us that Korean, Japanese, Europeans, all are better than the schmucks in Detroit as they are still building cars from the 80's. We know they are bad so we buy cars from those who have impressed us because.....

As a shadetree mechanic who has fixed my own cars for 40 yrs. and have friends who are full time mechanics, I think the engineering and longterm reliabilty as well as performance is way superior in most cases for American. My mechanic friends have shown me ways the foreign cars engineer parts that are expensive and hard to R&R. Plus I enjoy knowing that I am supporting fellow Americans who need that job. For those American cars that aren't made here and/or the argument that a toyota is made here simply doesn't make sense. The jobs here are important as stated but the real effect of the sale puts the profits in our companies pockets making them healthy with R&D money, and other supportive auto agencies that foreign companies like hyundais spend other there. The xcuses run a mile long but none make a lot of sense in the big picture. Oh I get better resale than American. Thats a result of this kind of thinking. If it really bothers one. then reverse the problem by buying a used low mile American car so as to take advantage of that. Its easy to rebuke the foreign car arguments. but it comes down to out of 3 car companies, with dozens of models,I think one could find one that meets there needs/likes. I know I'll be labeled nuts,but am I?

I don't really have high hopes for the new Malibu...

I've certainly got my concerns... No Six-pot, Hyundai evocative interior based on spyshots. As for exterior styling- it looks promising but I'll wait to see what the show-car brings in the "flesh" so to speak.

When supposedly car guys start choosing Hyundais over American style and obvious quality(e.g. Malibu, Regal,Camaro,Challenger....),especially when its been pretty consistent over the last decade, I get nauseous. There is a phenomena called "expert from afar". It kinda goes like this. people will believe(more impressed) when introduced to someone as an expert who is from far away geographically. They almost always allow more credibility to the "same person" rather than one who is local. I tend to think this same way of thinking applys to cars, as American cars lack that mystique of being from way over there. we build up an assumption in our mind that they somehow build a superior car,because it has been reinforced to us that Korean, Japanese, Europeans, all are better than the schmucks in Detroit as they are still building cars from the 80's. We know they are bad so we buy cars from those who have impressed us because.....

As a shadetree mechanic who has fixed my own cars for 40 yrs. and have friends who are full time mechanics, I think the engineering and longterm reliabilty as well as performance is way superior in most cases for American. My mechanic friends have shown me ways the foreign cars engineer parts that are expensive and hard to R&R. Plus I enjoy knowing that I am supporting fellow Americans who need that job. For those American cars that aren't made here and/or the argument that a toyota is made here simply doesn't make sense. The jobs here are important as stated but the real effect of the sale puts the profits in our companies pockets making them healthy with R&D money, and other supportive auto agencies that foreign companies like hyundais spend other there. The xcuses run a mile long but none make a lot of sense in the big picture. Oh I get better resale than American. Thats a result of this kind of thinking. If it really bothers one. then reverse the problem by buying a used low mile American car so as to take advantage of that. Its easy to rebuke the foreign car arguments. but it comes down to out of 3 car companies, with dozens of models,I think one could find one that meets there needs/likes. I know I'll be labeled nuts,but am I?

I don't really have high hopes for the new Malibu...

I've certainly got my concerns... No Six-pot, Hyundai evocative interior based on spyshots. As for exterior styling- it looks promising but I'll wait to see what the show-car brings in the "flesh" so to speak.

• Agree 1

I see the Bu to continue the good work of the Cruze.

I have seen many defections away from Hyundai in this area with co workers etc. They bought them as a good value but have not been happy with the quality and nagging non warranty issues that has cost them money.

Many have gone back to Chevy. There's no place like home. Now there is a slogan.

With the Cruze doing well and a new Bu due soon to be followed by a new Impala I see a lot of good with the future at Chevy. I really would like to see what the Impala will like.

The 4 cylinder is will not be in an issue and only a assset if the gas remians were it at. If you want a Six the Impala will take car of that. I watch today and so few Malibu's have a V6 now. Just look at the tail pipes. If it has one it is a Eco if there are two pipes it is a V6. It is rare to see two pipes.