Sign in to follow this  
Satty

Totalled the Solara + Pics of car, boo-boo

74 posts in this topic

I'm not even going to pretend the car is salvagable. I was going about 50ish in a 55 into a left curve, the car got away from me (not entirely sure how) and I went off the road, cartwheeled through an embankment, the car ended up on the passenger side in a field. I shut the car off and crawled out through the sunroof, then ran around looking for my phone. The woman who was in front of me turned around, when I saw her up on the road (a good 20 feet above my head) I could see her jaw had just dropped. She called 911, I found my phone in the grass and called work (I was on a delivery) my girlfriend and my insurance agent. A doctor happened to be driving by and she let my wash my arm off (I had some pretty superficial cuts) with some water she had in the car. The cop came, filled out a report, then the tow truck came, I left before they got the car out. The cop looked at me while I was picking up some of the stuff that flew out and said "You know its totalled, right?" I told him I figured it was but that I'll see what the insurance company says. Because I was at work, I had to spend 3 hours at a ghetto ass hospital to get some bandages on my left elbow and a cat scan, which came back fine.

There is a link to pics of the car on page three, as well as a pic of my owie.

Edited by Satty

Geez, Satty. That sounds like quite an end to your car's life, though it seems it gave itself up to save you. I'm glad you're OK. You'll get another car, but we'll never have another Satty.

When my girlfriend got there, she asked if the airbags deployed, I said no. Makes sense because the lower bumper is the only part of the front thats really damages. The passenger side is likely completely f@#ked up and the roof caved in a bit. Seatbelts=AWESOME. I was on the phone with some friends of mine a couple hours after it happened and I asked who won American Idol. My friend's wife was like "WHAT THE HELL? You just wrecked your car and you're asking who won AI? Shouldn't you be a little freaked out?"

When my girlfriend got there, she asked if the airbags deployed, I said no.  Makes sense because the lower bumper is the only part of the front thats really damages.  The passenger side is likely completely f@#ked up and the roof caved in a bit.  Seatbelts=AWESOME.  I was on the phone with some friends of mine a couple hours after it happened and I asked who won American Idol.  My friend's wife was like "WHAT THE HELL?  You just wrecked your car and you're asking who won AI?  Shouldn't you be a little freaked out?"

I had much the same reaction when I rolled my Sunfire - after the initial adrenaline rush from having the crap scared out of me, I was surprisingly calm.

Nobody actually saw my accident, but I still had shocked people come around afterwards. First question this woman asked who was walking by - "Where's the driver?". When I told her the driver was me she was quite visibly shocked.

When my girlfriend got there, she asked if the airbags deployed, I said no.  Makes sense because the lower bumper is the only part of the front thats really damages.  The passenger side is likely completely f@#ked up and the roof caved in a bit.  Seatbelts=AWESOME.  I was on the phone with some friends of mine a couple hours after it happened and I asked who won American Idol.  My friend's wife was like "WHAT THE HELL?  You just wrecked your car and you're asking who won AI?  Shouldn't you be a little freaked out?"

lol i remember that... the first thing i did when i got in my accident was call my brother, not even get out of my car...

just call my brother then i got out after i called him...

and to top it off, i was worried i'd be late to an event i had planned that evening... its amazing how your mind is everywhere but on the accident...

Edited by Newbiewar

You did that just to appease the GM faithful on this site, didn't you. You better replace it with an Uplander, or else.

:)

Seriously, glad to hear you're OK.

-RBB

Glad to hear you're okay Satty! It's a shame... sounds like a freak accident.

Glad to hear the catscan came back fine.

glad you're ok, was that a road you've been on before?

i'm glad something like that didn't happen to me when i lost control and ended up in a luckily low creek. just rear bumper/light was screewed up and a leak in the oil pan that with time and rtv silicone sealed up fine.

The road was dry, its a corner I've taken hundreds of times, just a freak thing, I think the back tires hit a bump which kind of loosened up the rear end and I overcompensated. I'll post some pics later. I kind of have a replacement, a very short term one (I hope). My brother-in-law bought a 1992 Honda Accord, complete POS for $100 a few months ago to drive to save gas compared to his F-150. Well after playing around with the electronics, he got it started the other day and said I can use it. I had new tires put on it today, but it needs brakes in a bad way. It also dies randomly whenever I slow down below 10mph. He's coming over to work on it while I take his F-150 to work, then I'll use the Honda until the insurance company totals my car and I decide what I want to do next.

Glad you made it out ok, Satty. Post pictures if you feel like it (I guess I don't see enough wrecked vehicles in my real life.)

Sorry to hear about that, Satty.

A couple weeks ago I was turning onto the street my school's off of.. well, there's always gravel at that intersection and because of where the person was positioned on the road I was turning onto, I had to make a sharp corner.. going a normal speed around a corner. I ended up losing grip on the gravel and smashing the Grand Prix's front corner rim.. so my dad got a new set because he didn't like that set anyway lol.

Glad to hear that you're all right Satty, also glad to hear that you totalled the Solora instead of yourself in some way, shape, form, or fashion. I had a similar wild ride in the Impala a few weeks back with me and the wife. Car started to hydroplane and we went for a little skid through the ditch, ended up back on the road and all and I was amazingly calm throughout the whole thing. The wifey on the other hand, WASN'T, she was crying, and screaming, and praying and everything (we were on the way to church surprisingly enough), and then afterwards, I was laughing and playing it off. Its still a sore subject for her though.

Sorry to hear that... so long as you;re okay this is

a perfect opportunity to get a 4dr which will be a

lot more conducive to the coming baby.

Wow, Satty ... very sorry :(.

Glad you are OK, tho.

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker

MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/

Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html

"Enough is enough, I can't take anymore" ... Alabama ... 'Can't Keep A Good Man Down'

Thanks for all of your kind words. And 68, I thought the same thing about a 4-door of some sort.

For now I'm rolling in a mostly blue '92 Accord LX coupe that cost me $182. It runs like a champ, pretty good considering it has 193xxx on it. Its nothing pretty to look at, but it'll do the job fine for now.

Once it comes time to replace it with something newer with less miles, I have a few ideas. First, and right now most likely, is for me to take my girlfriend's Rodeo (I really dont like the idea of her driving it while pregnant, much less with a baby, it screams death trap) and to get her something new. Next option would be just a plain 'ol early 2000's sedan, something like a Taurus or Impala. Next up would be my favorite option, but the one least likely to happen because the money could be better spent elsewhere, a Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan. I'd love to go that route, but with a baby on the way and both of us working towards degrees, I dont think its feasible.

Wow. I probably would have freaked the hell out if that happened to me. In any of the accidents I've ever been in, I'd end up a complete mess of high-tesile vibrating nerves.

And not to sound like a broken record, but I'm glad to hear you're okay. The American Idol part was priceless.

I'd make a suggestion for your next car, but you already know what I'd say... **coughcobaltcough** :scratchchin:

Show her the Milan...she'll like it too. Seriously, if it makes you happy, it's worth it...economic analyses always lack the emotional value of things.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this