Totalled the Solara + Pics of car, boo-boo

I'm not even going to pretend the car is salvagable. I was going about 50ish in a 55 into a left curve, the car got away from me (not entirely sure how) and I went off the road, cartwheeled through an embankment, the car ended up on the passenger side in a field. I shut the car off and crawled out through the sunroof, then ran around looking for my phone. The woman who was in front of me turned around, when I saw her up on the road (a good 20 feet above my head) I could see her jaw had just dropped. She called 911, I found my phone in the grass and called work (I was on a delivery) my girlfriend and my insurance agent. A doctor happened to be driving by and she let my wash my arm off (I had some pretty superficial cuts) with some water she had in the car. The cop came, filled out a report, then the tow truck came, I left before they got the car out. The cop looked at me while I was picking up some of the stuff that flew out and said "You know its totalled, right?" I told him I figured it was but that I'll see what the insurance company says. Because I was at work, I had to spend 3 hours at a ghetto ass hospital to get some bandages on my left elbow and a cat scan, which came back fine.

There is a link to pics of the car on page three, as well as a pic of my owie.

Edited by Satty

Geez, Satty. That sounds like quite an end to your car's life, though it seems it gave itself up to save you. I'm glad you're OK. You'll get another car, but we'll never have another Satty.

When my girlfriend got there, she asked if the airbags deployed, I said no. Makes sense because the lower bumper is the only part of the front thats really damages. The passenger side is likely completely f@#ked up and the roof caved in a bit. Seatbelts=AWESOME. I was on the phone with some friends of mine a couple hours after it happened and I asked who won American Idol. My friend's wife was like "WHAT THE HELL? You just wrecked your car and you're asking who won AI? Shouldn't you be a little freaked out?"

When my girlfriend got there, she asked if the airbags deployed, I said no.  Makes sense because the lower bumper is the only part of the front thats really damages.  The passenger side is likely completely f@#ked up and the roof caved in a bit.  Seatbelts=AWESOME.  I was on the phone with some friends of mine a couple hours after it happened and I asked who won American Idol.  My friend's wife was like "WHAT THE HELL?  You just wrecked your car and you're asking who won AI?  Shouldn't you be a little freaked out?"

I had much the same reaction when I rolled my Sunfire - after the initial adrenaline rush from having the crap scared out of me, I was surprisingly calm.

Nobody actually saw my accident, but I still had shocked people come around afterwards. First question this woman asked who was walking by - "Where's the driver?". When I told her the driver was me she was quite visibly shocked.

When my girlfriend got there, she asked if the airbags deployed, I said no.  Makes sense because the lower bumper is the only part of the front thats really damages.  The passenger side is likely completely f@#ked up and the roof caved in a bit.  Seatbelts=AWESOME.  I was on the phone with some friends of mine a couple hours after it happened and I asked who won American Idol.  My friend's wife was like "WHAT THE HELL?  You just wrecked your car and you're asking who won AI?  Shouldn't you be a little freaked out?"

lol i remember that... the first thing i did when i got in my accident was call my brother, not even get out of my car...

just call my brother then i got out after i called him...

and to top it off, i was worried i'd be late to an event i had planned that evening... its amazing how your mind is everywhere but on the accident...

Edited by Newbiewar

glad you're ok, was that a road you've been on before?

i'm glad something like that didn't happen to me when i lost control and ended up in a luckily low creek. just rear bumper/light was screewed up and a leak in the oil pan that with time and rtv silicone sealed up fine.

The road was dry, its a corner I've taken hundreds of times, just a freak thing, I think the back tires hit a bump which kind of loosened up the rear end and I overcompensated. I'll post some pics later. I kind of have a replacement, a very short term one (I hope). My brother-in-law bought a 1992 Honda Accord, complete POS for $100 a few months ago to drive to save gas compared to his F-150. Well after playing around with the electronics, he got it started the other day and said I can use it. I had new tires put on it today, but it needs brakes in a bad way. It also dies randomly whenever I slow down below 10mph. He's coming over to work on it while I take his F-150 to work, then I'll use the Honda until the insurance company totals my car and I decide what I want to do next.

Sorry to hear about that, Satty.

A couple weeks ago I was turning onto the street my school's off of.. well, there's always gravel at that intersection and because of where the person was positioned on the road I was turning onto, I had to make a sharp corner.. going a normal speed around a corner. I ended up losing grip on the gravel and smashing the Grand Prix's front corner rim.. so my dad got a new set because he didn't like that set anyway lol.

Glad to hear that you're all right Satty, also glad to hear that you totalled the Solora instead of yourself in some way, shape, form, or fashion. I had a similar wild ride in the Impala a few weeks back with me and the wife. Car started to hydroplane and we went for a little skid through the ditch, ended up back on the road and all and I was amazingly calm throughout the whole thing. The wifey on the other hand, WASN'T, she was crying, and screaming, and praying and everything (we were on the way to church surprisingly enough), and then afterwards, I was laughing and playing it off. Its still a sore subject for her though.

Sorry to hear that... so long as you;re okay this is

a perfect opportunity to get a 4dr which will be a

lot more conducive to the coming baby.

Wow, Satty ... very sorry :(.

Glad you are OK, tho.

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker

MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/

Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html

"Enough is enough, I can't take anymore" ... Alabama ... 'Can't Keep A Good Man Down'

Thanks for all of your kind words. And 68, I thought the same thing about a 4-door of some sort.

For now I'm rolling in a mostly blue '92 Accord LX coupe that cost me $182. It runs like a champ, pretty good considering it has 193xxx on it. Its nothing pretty to look at, but it'll do the job fine for now.

Once it comes time to replace it with something newer with less miles, I have a few ideas. First, and right now most likely, is for me to take my girlfriend's Rodeo (I really dont like the idea of her driving it while pregnant, much less with a baby, it screams death trap) and to get her something new. Next option would be just a plain 'ol early 2000's sedan, something like a Taurus or Impala. Next up would be my favorite option, but the one least likely to happen because the money could be better spent elsewhere, a Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan. I'd love to go that route, but with a baby on the way and both of us working towards degrees, I dont think its feasible.

Wow. I probably would have freaked the hell out if that happened to me. In any of the accidents I've ever been in, I'd end up a complete mess of high-tesile vibrating nerves.

And not to sound like a broken record, but I'm glad to hear you're okay. The American Idol part was priceless.

I'd make a suggestion for your next car, but you already know what I'd say... **coughcobaltcough** :scratchchin:

The 91-94 Accord is the best looking one IMHO and it is

from the years when Honda was at the top of their game

before they started watering down everythinng & making

bloated blobs & going backwards with the Accord & Civic

in terms of value-for-$.

The Taurus is a $hitbox for my opinion. It's the ONLY car

that screams "fleet" to me new or used. The 2000-5

Impala is a great bargain right now... even with the 3.4

it's got enough balls to haul you around in comfort. One

of the safest cars ever made in a T-bone... the unibody

structure is made from three single piece "rings" that form

the passanger compartment. That's your best bet.

I'll probably keep this Accord to use as a delivery/spare car. It needs side marker lights, which I'm getting next week, a grille, a new hood then a paint job, and it'll look pretty good. Mechanically it needs an exhause manifold gasket and new spark plug wires, there may be something up with the transmission, everytime I shift into second, it grinds, it doesn't do that in any other gear.

if you get a taurus at least you know its got great safety scores. the Fusion side imapct tests are not even matching the taurus IIRC. By the time you need one, you will be able to find a used 06 or 07 taurus for around 11 grand maybe.

i got my 500 and one big reason was the top in class safety, which you think a lot about with a kid. that said, its not fun to drive. I really wish i would have got something sporty, but at least if i crash, i've got a solid chance of me and kid doing ok. It really adjusts your thinking when car shopping.

there are lots of sedans that would fit the bill for you I bet. enjoy shopping.

see satty.......you are now a perfect candidate for one of those buy a Raider, get a Galant free deals.........HAHA! or better yet, buy a tahoe get a cobalt.

better yet, just get the minivan now. once your woman sees someone open a sliding van door with the remote control.....its over.

New chrylser vans, under 15k, get em while you still can and they are not ugly.....

Edited by regfootball

A minivanm isn't totally out of the question. A Sky is. Hmmm....maybe a Solara vert. Or a Mini vert. Or a....Damn, I just need to get a Taurus and get it over with. And yes, they're $h!ty to drive.

A minivanm isn't totally out of the question.  A Sky is.  Hmmm....maybe a Solara vert.  Or a Mini vert.  Or a....Damn, I just need to get a Taurus and get it over with.  And yes, they're $h!ty to drive.

i should have just got another tuarus, but when you have had 2 already and your dad has had three, the thought of getting another one made me physically ill.

actually, what about a Sable.....? Slightly unique in comparison. Still cheap.

as much as i loathe the sonata, you could make a case for it here. cheap transport and fairly ok. i would say galant v6 but i know you despise mits. if you drove one and experimented with car seats and long legged kids you'd enjoy the fact that its family friendly and spacious and still fun to drive.

What about a used Impala? I bet a used v6 Magnum might even be getting into the reasonably priced category.

Occasionally you can find used S60 Volvos that become affordable and you know those are safe, and they are spacious, at least in front. The S60's weakness is lack of leg room in back. its got plenty of girth though.

Edited by regfootball

I went lot-hopping tonight. I found a brand new Fusion S, I4, stick for $15k and change, but I really dont want to get a brand new car. They also had a 500 for $20k and change, I think it might even be a little more tempting. I also happened across a gaggle of Saab 9-2x's, a pair of Aeros for just under $23k a piece and a base with leather foe just over $21. FYI, I didn't look at any new Toyotas. On to used, let me say this first, there are a lot of Solaras, at least one on every lot I looked at, only one similar to mine, and I cant quit thinking about how much I liked that car. I realize that another one just wont be the same as the original "Sally Solara" so I'm probably not going that route. A few things I did come across piqued my interest. An '01 CR-V for $13k seems like it would be a pretty good ride for a father-to-be. They also had some Elements that I still really really like, and the door design seems like it would be rediculously easy to install a child seat, but the design of the rear seats makes me worry about putting a kid there. A little bit of a dark horse is a 1998 MB C230, sre its got a weak I4 and an auto, but at a price likely under $10k from an era when Mercedes didn't suck that much seems like its worth looking into.

Lot-hopping is fun, isn't it? I mean, maybe you're doing it with a bit more anxiety right now with your pending family situation and the sudden loss of your recently-purchased Solara, but it's still fun to consider all the possibilities. Please don't become an "old man" though. You can still sport your mullet and be practical at the same time, eh? That Fusion sounds good, actually, at least you'd have the piece-of-mind that comes with a new car with a warranty.

And no, I don't want to see any videos of Satty with a double chin and bottle-blond hair tooling along in his SUV with a munchkin on his lap. *shiver*

Edited by ocnblu

Next option would be just a plain 'ol early 2000's sedan, something like a Taurus or Impala. 

I'd stay away from a Taurus or similar. You'd regret it every day.

in theory the element is nice for loading kids but once you realize the front door has to be open to open the rear doors, its actually very kid unfriendly. another reason why we went for the aztek. its ugly like the element, but more usable and larger in real life. the stroller only takes up part of the trunk, not all of the trunk like so many small suv's and most sedans.

everyone curses SUV's but the reasons they do so well is they can swallow a stroller and a pack and play and still have tons of room left for adult things on a trip. something to think about.

satty, you probably don't have to worry about front or all wheel drive, do you?

I went lot-hopping tonight.  I found a brand new Fusion S, I4, stick for $15k and change, but I really dont want to get a brand new car.  They also had a 500 for $20k and change, I think it might even be a little more tempting.  I also happened across a gaggle of Saab 9-2x's, a pair of Aeros for just under $23k a piece and a base with leather foe just over $21.  FYI, I didn't look at any new Toyotas.  On to used, let me say this first, there are a lot of Solaras, at least one on every lot I looked at, only one similar to mine, and I cant quit thinking about how much I liked that car.  I realize that another one just wont be the same as the original "Sally Solara" so I'm probably not going that route.  A few things I did come across piqued my interest.  An '01 CR-V for $13k seems like it would be a pretty good ride for a father-to-be.  They also had some Elements that I still really really like, and the door design seems like it would be rediculously easy to install a child seat, but the design of the rear seats makes me worry about putting a kid there.  A little bit of a dark horse is a 1998 MB C230, sre its got a weak I4 and an auto, but at a price likely under $10k from an era when Mercedes didn't suck that much seems like its worth looking into.

i always got 20mpg all the time out of my v8 SHO and i get over 20 with my five hundred so i don't get why the 3.0 taurus won't get 22-23. and those are all in town. My 500 can get like 25-30 on the highway. I have test driven some 3.0 duratec taurus' that are pretty quick and not any faster or slower than the caminblock GM's. My 500 is pretty quick above 35-40 mph. Whoever was getting 16mpg with a v6 duratec taurus maybe needs to put a new air filter on there and run some fuel system cleaner through the car and maybe even get some new plugs.

Your not going to see an appreciable in town mileage difference between a GM boat anchor v6 and a duratec ford. In fact, nearly any sedan that is mid-large and weighs between 3300 and 3800 pounds is gonna get around 20 mpg in metropolitan driving.

Something like the 3800 does get exceptional highway mileage. it depends on how much real interstate driving you do in order for there to be a benefit vs. worrying about whether you're gonna have....'those issues'.....

Lot-hopping is fun, isn't it?

*grins*

Yes, yes it is ;). Even I enjoy going from lot to lot looking at the cars available ... it's cool to at least consider the possibilities!

Good luck, Satty!

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker

MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/

Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html

"Why can't that be me?" ... 3 Doors Down ... 'If I Could Be Like That'

Good thing you are alright!

How about considering an efficient Stratus SXT with the 2.4?

It features a suspension free of struts, which is unique in the midsize class.

Hey Satty... Sorry to hear about the accident but happy to know you're ok.

Here are a few (predictable) options that I came up with: :)

Vincel Buick (both LaCrosses are CXLs)

http://www.getauto.com/autolinks_cardetail...5DB03E85S560648

http://www.getauto.com/autolinks_cardetail...4WD532551245831

http://www.getauto.com/autolinks_cardetail...4HP52K844170093

-----------------------------------------

Marshfield's has several 2004 Buick Rainiers for around $20k and below...

Marshfield Motor Co (800-679-9131)

14963 State Hwy. 38 Marshfield MO

----------------------------------------

Black 2003 Rendezvous with Leather and metal interior trim finish:

VIN: 3G5DB03E83S521880

Stock: 1880

Mileage: 34920

Transmission: Automatic

Engine: 3.4L 6

Doors: 0

Exterior: BLACK

Pinegar Buick Pontiac GMC

163 Adair Road

Branson, MO 65616 Phone: (417) 334-6914

Fax: (417) 339-2895

----------------------------------------

Plenty of Buick Terrazas around for $20k and below also

Thanks Ven, I haven't gotten over to Vincel to see what they had around the lot. Its an Isuzu/Buick/Infinity lot across the street from Toyota/Scion/Lexus/BMW so odds are they wouldn't have too much that would interest a 21 year old and satisfy his wallet. LeSabres and PAs are out for me because they're a lot more car than I need, a LaX wouldn't be a bad choice, and I could really dig a Rainier. The most likely one out of what you suggested would be the Rendezvous, my sister bought onea month or so ago and loves it, I rode around in it the other day and its a great ride. I just really dont know if I want to get into somethingt hat big or mini-vanny yet. While the kid is young, he wont care about legroom or anything like that, and I can install a rear-facing child seat in any car with a back seat without dropping the kid, so that really wont be a problem. I'm not going to jump into anything yet.

Clickly Hopefully you'll be linked to the album with the pics of the car in its current, wrecked state.

I went and looked at a few places today. First place had a 2000 Frontier Crew Cab that I am pretty interested in, they were closed because its a holiday. The next place had an '03 Grand Prix that, in spite of my hatred for Pontiac and cheap interiors, I would be willing to settle for. Next up was the first place I went today that was open and they had a BMW 540i with 7er rims, 100k miles for $13k. the interior was showing signs of age and the radio cover wouldn't close over the cheap looking Alpine aftermarket radio. Tempting, but no. Next up was the Cadillac/Pontiac/GMC/Buick/Saab dealership where I saw what very well may be my next car. A 1997 Cadillac DeVille. Nothing about it seems very me at all, and Dawn said she'd laugh at me if I so much as said I was interested, but it makes sense, plenty of room for the kid and kid stuff, and it had pretty low miles on it. I'll check into it further tomorrow, which is when they're finally going to send an adjuster to look at my car.