2020 Genesis G90 Debuts for America: Comments

1655-Thenew2020GenesisG90premiumluxurysedaninmotion.jpgLos Angeles - The Genesis G90 made its North American debut this evening at the Los Angeles Auto Show. The new G90 introduces the next design theme for the Genesis family. It is a total reskin of the existing car. Genesis calls the design Horizontal Architecture and Athletic Elegance and it is reflected inside and outside the car.

The interior embodies the Horizontal Architecture theme with harmonious flow of horizontal surfaces such as the HVAC vents, audio controls, and wood trim. 

On the connectivity front, it is the first Genesis vehicle to offer over-the-air wireless updates for maps and software. Its 12.3-inch display navigation system is now touchscreen and a uses a copper user interface with copper accents. Standard are Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, and Mirror Link. Intelligent Car Management Service personalizes the driving experience by using data to analyze driving patterns and informs the driver of necessary maintenance and vehicle wear.

The interior environment is more serene, thanks to Active Noise Cancellation, which reduces noise, vibration and harshness using leading audio technology to reduce unwanted noise intrusion. Occupant convenience is enhanced by when entering tunnels through automatic external air prevention. The adaptive control suspension minimizes vibration in real time and precisely manages body motions throughout the range of dynamics with minimal compromises to ride comfort.

Safety technology that comes standard is Lane Follow Assist, Rear Cross Traffic Collision Avoidance, Forward Collision Avoidance Assist, Safe Exit Doors, and Highway Driving assist. There are 10 standard airbags.

Powering the G90 is a choice of 3.3-liter turbocharged V6 producing 365 horsepower and 376 lb.-ft of torque or a 5.0 liter V8 producing 420 horsepower and 383 lb.-ft of torque.  Both engines are mated to an 8-speed automatic and are available in rear-wheel drive or all-wheel drive configurations. Fuel economy for the V6 Turbo is 17 city / 25 Highway while the V8 16 city / 24 highway (RWD) or 15 city / 23 highway (AWD)

1656-Thenew2020GenesisG90premiumluxurysedaninmotion.jpg

The 2020 Genesis G90 goes on sale in North America in December 2019

View full article

A reskin of the existing car.  The genesis didn’t drive that great and they only reskinned it?   Kind of a GM move....

with sedans dying I guess I can understand the effort.  The USPS must be really happy because Hyundai is ‘mailing it in’

I’d find a 3 year old CT6 and drive that. 

26 minutes ago, balthazar said:

How is that not an Acura???

It’s missing the ‘meat slicer’ grille

Edited by regfootball

About  how it not be an Acura.

It does not have the "jeweled" headlights...but yeah, I guess Hyundai could call that look, Acura inspired. 

And talking about Chrysler, which I love that car Blu posted, but I do prefer the previous year's fins better...

How does the logo on the steering wheel  not be a Chrysler?

Edited by oldshurst442

At least it looks different, and the wheels are unique.  The plus is it isn't a knock off Lexus or os S-class of the past like previous Genesis cars, this does stand out.   I do think it could look dated quickly though.  Interior is nice for the price point, obviously it isn't A8 level, but it is much cheaper too, so you get what you pay for.  I think the letdown is carryover powertrains and that 5.0 liter V8 went on sale for 2012 model year, so now 8 years later it is the same thing.  I think that turbo V6 is 7-8 years old too.  Those are dated, no hybrid system or anything, it is just old when people want cutting edge.

25 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

About  how it not be an Acura.

It does not have the "jeweled" headlights...but yeah, I guess Hyundai could call that look, Acura inspired. 

And talking about Chrysler, which I love that car Blu posted, but I do prefer the previous year's fins better...

How does the logo on the steering wheel  not be a Chrysler?

But it does have Volvo'esque headlights with the horizontal LED lightpipes through the center of the assembly.

Interesting...diamond shaped grille...but where will the license plate end up.   And yet Genesis is still only 3 sedans and no CUVs...in a CUV-crazy market. Seems like they think it's still 2010 and not almost 2020.

6 minutes ago, ykX said:

I still think Lexus wins in this contest :)

I think BMW joined that contest

image.png.58e7d4106c692076703ff98dbddfaf6c.png

Lol! With honorable mention to the Acura “beak”!

And at least the Lexus LC wears it well somehow. That Genesis grill though, ugly stick city no matter what it gets slapped on!

Edited by surreal1272
  • Haha 1

On the CUV front, all Genesis has to do is take the Palisade and gussy it up.  Problem solved.

As for the grille, Nothing is as bad as the Lexus Predator mouth or as silly as the new BMW kidney grille.  The new G90 grille looks almost dignified by comparison.

• Like 1

S

26 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I'm definitely in the minority here. I think the grille could be about 10-15% smaller but the rest just looks really classy. I'd drive one of these. 

I like how they did G70.  Not fan of the oversized G90

17-2019-genesis-g70-drive.jpg

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, dfelt said:

Looks just like their ubber pricey luxury version in Korea. Guess they figure, to recover R&D, gotta sell it in more markets. lol 😛 

What R&D? Lol!

I know it's an unpopular opinion, but after looking at it and sitting in it, I came away really impressed. It's taking the Cadillac path of offering more space for your money and that space in the interior is really good.  Seeing as this will be priced about the same as a well equipped E-Class, but with S-Class space, it might gain some traction.   Glad they finally offered AWD in the 5.0 version. The old one the 5.0 was RWD only. 

• Agree 2

On 11/21/2019 at 2:29 PM, Drew Dowdell said:

I know it's an unpopular opinion, but after looking at it and sitting in it, I came away really impressed. It's taking the Cadillac path of offering more space for your money and that space in the interior is really good.  Seeing as this will be priced about the same as a well equipped E-Class, but with S-Class space, it might gain some traction.   Glad they finally offered AWD in the 5.0 version. The old one the 5.0 was RWD only. 

Cadillac spent most of the 2000's making mot of  their cars smaller...... 

On 11/21/2019 at 1:29 PM, Drew Dowdell said:

If they would do something about that hideous grill, they would be in better shape in the looks department but that grill simply looks about two sizes too big for it. The interior does look pretty nice though. 

2 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

If they would do something about that hideous grill, they would be in better shape in the looks department but that grill simply looks about two sizes too big for it. The interior does look pretty nice though. 

Big grilles are in these days.  See 7-series, A8, and LS.  I actually like this one. 

2 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Big grilles are in these days.  See 7-series, A8, and LS.  I actually like this one. 

Very true, Will take this over the Predator mouth of the Lexus auto's every day! :)