122 replies to this topic

bowtie_dude

OSV Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,714 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 12:33 PM

I hope they can sell more than 3,000 a month, though. :huh:

Edited by bowtie_dude, 26 November 2007 - 12:33 PM.

Northstar

Be afraid of Jake. Very, very afaid.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,304 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 12:54 PM

I hope they can sell more than 3,000 a month, though. :huh:

They're only planning on producing 3500 in the first month, so selling 3000 is exceptional. Obviously they will sell more; the Aura sells very slowly and sells about 5k/month. I expect the Malibu to do over 20k/month.

sciguy_0504

Denali Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,828 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 01:03 PM

I haven't seen any on the road but the ads on TV I've seen look pretty good (besides the fact the Malibu shown is CGI) and are fairly convincing. Good advertising from GM...are pigs flying?

jg95z28

Stock Member

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 01:05 PM

I was at the San Francisco Auto Show this weekend. There were more folks checking out the Malibus than any car Chevy had, save for the people lining up for the Z06. The interior finish on the 2LT and LTZ were top notch. I think I was the only one checking out the Impala SS. I definitely may consider a Malibu once the 4cyl/A6 combo becomes available on the LTZ later this year.

ZL-1

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,733 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 01:37 PM

:cheers:

RBB

GXP Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 01:39 PM

I haven't seen any on the road but the ads on TV I've seen look pretty good (besides the fact the Malibu shown is CGI) and are fairly convincing. Good advertising from GM...are pigs flying?

If it makes you feel any better, their photographers still suck.

-RBB

intrigued

GXP Member

• Editor/Reporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 594 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 01:47 PM

One of my teemates fathers just got a new loaded v6 ltz this weekend. When I saw him pull into the parking area at randall's island I was suprised to say the least. I asked him how his dad liked it and he said he loved it. I asked what his trade was and he told me a 2003 bmw 325! Interesting conquest to say the least.

gm4life

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,379 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 06:12 PM

That was intresting, I just saw another 2LT today with 4 cylinder in silver on the road. I have seen none dealers lots yet tho. All I can figure is around here there selling as soon as they get 'em.

Edited by gm4life, 26 November 2007 - 06:15 PM.

smk4565

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,408 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 08:28 PM

"The Saturn Outlook has been a little slower than we expected," he said. "I think that's partly because there aren't enough Saturn dealers, and secondly, there isn't the brand awareness for Saturn."

Exactly why GM should have killed Saturn off and kept Oldsmobile alive. Way more dealers and the brand still had equity. It's one of the biggest mistakes GM has made since it was founded.

Oldsmobile done right could have replaced Saturn, Saab, Buick and Pontiac. They could have had Chevy, Olds, Caddy a 1,2,3 hierarchy. Oh well.

The Outlook has lots of inventory because they made too many of them, it outsold the Enclave for a few months this summer, I think the Enclave is slightly ahead of it now. But the Outlook sales are bad because Saturn is geared to younger people, or people that want small, import style cars. Those types of buyers don't want an 8 seat SUV that gets 17 mpg. It would be like BMW making a 205 inch long front drive car, their customers don't want that.

smk4565

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,408 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 08:31 PM

If I were GM I wouldn't want this news out, because it makes them look bad that they can't launch a car. They do this a lot with slow launches, people can't get the car when they want it, then a year or 2 later they are sitting on lots with incentives. 3,000 a month is a joke, the Camry sells over 40,000 a month. The goal for the Malibu should be 30,000 a month minimum. They have home field advantage, being 75% as successful as Toyota shouldn't be too much to ask, especially since the Camry is such a poor driving car to begin with. All it has is reliability and tight fitting gaps.

K.C.

Denali Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,046 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 09:12 PM

Oldsmobile done right could have replaced Saturn, Saab, Buick and Pontiac. They could have had Chevy, Olds, Caddy a 1,2,3 hierarchy. Oh well.

The Outlook has lots of inventory because they made too many of them, it outsold the Enclave for a few months this summer, I think the Enclave is slightly ahead of it now. But the Outlook sales are bad because Saturn is geared to younger people, or people that want small, import style cars. Those types of buyers don't want an 8 seat SUV that gets 17 mpg. It would be like BMW making a 205 inch long front drive car, their customers don't want that.

If I were GM I wouldn't want this news out, because it makes them look bad that they can't launch a car. They do this a lot with slow launches, people can't get the car when they want it, then a year or 2 later they are sitting on lots with incentives.

3,000 a month is a joke, the Camry sells over 40,000 a month. The goal for the Malibu should be 30,000 a month minimum. They have home field advantage, being 75% as successful as Toyota shouldn't be too much to ask, especially since the Camry is such a poor driving car to begin with. All it has is reliability and tight fitting gaps.

It's easy to play Monday morning quarterback, but doing so is just mental masturbation. Oldsmobile is gone, and while alot of may be disappointed, they are gone and will probably not come back. Saturn is whats left, so acceptance is the key to happiness.

Now, back to the Malibu. I am glad the sales are up. I hope that this car becomes a sales leader for GM and the car market. The next thing that needs to happen is that the Impala needs to be remade into something completely different than the Malibu so it does not steal sales from the Malibu.

balthazar

Yoda of Vintage cars

• Members
  • 13,734 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 09:22 PM

>>"Oldsmobile done right could have replaced Saturn, Saab, Buick and Pontiac. They could have had Chevy, Olds, Caddy a 1,2,3 hierarchy. Oh well."<<
A fantasy- never would've come close to working.

>>"The goal for the Malibu should be 30,000 a month minimum. They have home field advantage, "<<
The 'home field advantage' in the U.S. is being a foreign brand.

>>"But the Outlook sales are bad because Saturn is geared to younger people, or people that want small, import style cars. Those types of buyers don't want an 8 seat SUV that gets 17 mpg."<<
A LOT of brands that 'shouldn't' be selling hulking SUVs do: porsche (sports), audi & bmw (euro drivers), toyota ('green' economical), the image stretch that porsche & BMW executed to greenlight theirs is a far longer reach than Saturn doing so.

>>"3,000 a month is a joke, the Camry sells over 40,000 a month. "<<
I guess the camry's mind-numbing acceptance rate makes EVERYTHING ELSE look like a joke, right?

hotrod747

Stock Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 09:27 PM

"The Saturn Outlook has been a little slower than we expected," he said. "I think that's partly because there aren't enough Saturn dealers, and secondly, there isn't the brand awareness for Saturn."

Exactly why GM should have killed Saturn off and kept Oldsmobile alive. Way more dealers and the brand still had equity. It's one of the biggest mistakes GM has made since it was founded.

This is a very good reason why GM should not try to emulate the competition. The brands in GM's portfolio have strong heritage that they should draw on for future models. Not everyone wants a "Camcord." Very good news for GM, Chevy and Cadillac.

smk4565

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,408 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 10:45 PM

BMW and Porsche make 5 seater SUVs that are geared to performance, that fits with their image (although a Porsche SUV is odd). Saturn's image since they were founded was friendly dealers and small 4-cylinder cars. An 8 seater, and a $35,000 one at that, doesn't fit with the low cost, small car image Saturn had all those years. Same reason the VW Pheaton failed, didn't fit the brand image. I am fine with Olds being gone (even though I have one) because GM had too much overlap and too many rebages, they could still drop a brand and be fine. GM's model lineup and dealer network is set up for when they had 40% market share or more, and they have 24-25% now. At least one brand had to die then, Olds was it.

Z-06

Ultra Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,845 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 11:03 PM

BMW and Porsche make 5 seater SUVs that are geared to performance, that fits with their image (although a Porsche SUV is odd). Saturn's image since they were founded was friendly dealers and small 4-cylinder cars. An 8 seater, and a $35,000 one at that, doesn't fit with the low cost, small car image Saturn had all those years. Same reason the VW Pheaton failed, didn't fit the brand image.

I am fine with Olds being gone (even though I have one) because GM had too much overlap and too many rebages, they could still drop a brand and be fine. GM's model lineup and dealer network is set up for when they had 40% market share or more, and they have 24-25% now. At least one brand had to die then, Olds was it.

Dude, it is part of the business, and life in general. Not every ball will be hit for a homerun.

Ask the greatest investor of all, Warren Buffet and even he will say it is not that all the investments that should make profits, it is most of them that should make remarkable profits.

The same theory goes here. Not all products from GM should be successful in order for GM to succeed. Saturn is a brand in rehab, and it will take some time for it to be a force. So what GM made a blunder in the Outlook the truth is investment of Lambda as a whole is successful that is what is important. I'll put it this way the sales of the Outlook are the sales GM would not have had if they would have had only three Lambdas. The amount of development and advertisement money gone in Outlook is negligible as compared to the Lambda as a whole. In general perspective, 2007 has been quite a good year for GM in terms of product portfolio. Are they perfect? No, and probably never will be. But at least they are going in the right direction.

balthazar

Yoda of Vintage cars

• Members
  • 13,734 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 12:06 AM

>>"Saturn's image since they were founded was friendly dealers and small 4-cylinder cars. An 8 seater, and a $35,000 one at that, doesn't fit with the low cost, small car image Saturn had all those years. Same reason the VW Pheaton failed, didn't fit the brand image."<<
Uhh, wasn't the phaeton like $85,000 ??? Who the f**k is going to pay that; the car failed before it was unveiled. Comparing that vs. the rest of VW's line, and the Outlook to the rest of Saturn's line is like comparing a 5-yr old kid jumping a mud puddle vs. an Olympic long jumper.
But Saturn isn't even 20 yrs old vs. VW's circa 70 yr history; that image is a lot deeper ingrained, esp considering it's on the humped back of 15 million beetles- a dirt-cheap car. Saturn has flown under the image radar for the most part- it's already moved upscale from the '90 coupe & sedan. The Outlook is more fitting to a family-vehicle-oriented brand than a vw-built SUV is to the hardcore sports-car porsche image (60-some yrs in the making).

>>"GM's model lineup and dealer network is set up for when they had 40% market share "<<
Really, how so? How many models & dealers did GM have in 1975 vs. today?

radioactivesob

Stock Member

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 12:18 AM

Not all products from GM should be successful in order for GM to succeed. Saturn is a brand in rehab, and it will take some time for it to be a force. So what GM made a blunder in the Outlook

Slap a bowtie on the new Outlooks coming out of the plant, and bam! Number one crossover on the market.

ZL-1

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,733 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 03:52 AM

That would never have worked in Europe, and I suspect it would never have worked anywhere else outside of North America.

Regalguy01

Red-Line

• Members
  • Pip
  • 181 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 06:40 AM

If I were GM I wouldn't want this news out, because it makes them look bad that they can't launch a car. They do this a lot with slow launches, people can't get the car when they want it, then a year or 2 later they are sitting on lots with incentives.

3,000 a month is a joke, the Camry sells over 40,000 a month. The goal for the Malibu should be 30,000 a month minimum. They have home field advantage, being 75% as successful as Toyota shouldn't be too much to ask, especially since the Camry is such a poor driving car to begin with. All it has is reliability and tight fitting gaps.

Are you saying the blandy sold 40k units in its launch month? Supported, factual documentation please............

silverss/sc

Red-Line

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 07:13 PM

3,000 a month is a joke, the Camry sells over 40,000 a month. The goal for the Malibu should be 30,000 a month minimum. .

They werent talking about a month to month goal of 3K . They were just talking about the 1st month of prduction while their ramping up ;) I think they plan selling more than 36,000 a year .

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users