Come out of the closet...

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I usually wear faded jeans, flip flops, and a T-shirt (university, automotive, band-related, etc). Sometimes I'll wear polos or a long-sleeved over-shirt with the sleeves rolled up, but most of the time I'm pretty laid back.

I have the hardest damn time finding clothes that fit properly though...why is why I have to go to certain stores. American Eagle usually fits me pretty well, but Old Navy....$h! (one-size-fits-all mentality there). The problem is that I'm tall and skinny (6'4", 170 lbs), so shirts are always too wide and short for me. I've never stepped foot in A&F, but sometimes I'll buy from the Buckle, Hollister, or Aeropostle...but I usually go for the stuff on sale.

You'll never catch me in emo clothing...period.

I usually wear faded jeans, flip flops, and a T-shirt (university, automotive, band-related, etc).  Sometimes I'll wear polos or a long-sleeved over-shirt with the sleeves rolled up, but most of the time I'm pretty laid back. 

I have the hardest damn time finding clothes that fit properly though...why is why I have to go to certain stores.  American Eagle usually fits me pretty well, but Old Navy....$h! (one-size-fits-all mentality there).  The problem is that I'm tall and skinny (6'4", 170 lbs), so shirts are always too wide and short for me.  I've never stepped foot in A&F, but sometimes I'll buy from the Buckle, Hollister, or Aeropostle...but I usually go for the stuff on sale.

You'll never catch me in emo clothing...period.

172320[/snapback]

i hear ya thats why i take forevre to shop for clothes and i end up buy expensive shirts so i dont have a parachute

euro/slim fit are my best friend in shirts

and beleive it or not its actually easier for me (6.0 tall) to find girls pants that fit me as opposed to guys pants which are too wide or short

i end up buy expensive shirts so i dont have a parachute

172357[/snapback]

Perfect description...I couldn't put the words to it before.

There's a store here that has awesome fitting shirts called Express (not sure if it's a chain), but it's a checking account cleaner...

I admit it: Except for my suits and Fedora hats, all my clothes come from Wal-Mart. There are a couple reasons for this:

- I have neither the time, money, nor inclination to look "trendy"

- I abhor clothing that promenantly displays brand names, and Wal-Mart clothes are about as generic as you can get

- This way, when your clothes (esp. pants) wear out, you'll only have to spend $20 to replace them, rather than spending $70 for a pair of Dockers that are no more durable (all CDN. money, BTW).

Or you can get quality designer items that don't wear out. The only brand I own that wears out is American Eagle, and they last me 4-5 years, so I can live with that.

Bluefly.com is a godsend. Where else can you get Camp Beverly Hills for $30?

Prep.

J.Crew, A&F, Hollister Co., AE.

Love J.Crew.

Edit:  Since I would rather not spend tons on my clothes, I turn to eBay for help.  Sell my own stuff to get some dough and buy some stuff when I don't have a lot.  You should try it.

171910[/snapback]

I forgot J. Crew....

I love my J. Crew catalogs.... :lovey:

And they last a while too...

The only thing that brothers me is that they change their jeans so much from year to year...

Right now I'm wearing a T-shirt I've had for about 5 years now...

It has a few 1/2 gen Camaros on the front & a 3/4 on the back.

In my car, in case I get sweaty (no AC in the Q45 right now) is a

T-shirt I got from GM for free (live green, go yellow) & the khaki

shorts I'm wearing are dusty & a little crinkled. We are in the

middle of moving right now but that aside I still do not make a

great effort to look like I spend a lot of money on my clothes.

I'm not in H.S. anymore and I don't feel the need to impress any

one with my clothing. Besides I get a kick out of driving the Q45

which looks pretty mint but I'm wearing a scummy old Dukes of

Hazzard T-shirt & a faded & ripped pair of Jean shorts.

I hate Yuppies. Not all rich people are Yuppies but most Yuppies

are rich or at least living well above their means.

Or you can get quality designer items that don't wear out. 

172405[/snapback]

Yeah, right. :rolleyes:

I used to always wear Dockers, until I discovered that Dockers are garbage. The no name Wal-Mart pants I'm wearing now have lasted longer than any pair of Dockers I have ever owned, and they were a fraction of the price.

Actually, I agree with Croc...I do think there is a direct relationship between cost and quality. I used to buy cheap jeans from a store called Rue 21 and from Old Navy...you know, when they had the $20 deals and all that (sometimes Rue 21 was even down to $17). Yet, all my jeans from there would start getting holes in the knees after six months and, worse for me, the fabric would shrink after a few washes so that I would end up with floodwaters.

Then I started buying from American Eagle and noticed that the jeans didn't shrink and I could wear them for a couple years before they started getting getting worn. Most of my AE jeans were retired because I outgrew them, not because they wore out. There was a definite difference in the quality of the fabic as well.

I also have a pair of Arizona jeans that have held up well, look good, and are among the most comfortable pair I have ever had. And I only paid $30.

Guest YellowJacket894

As a side note, I went to a new, local store called "Gabriel Brothers" and bought two new pairs of jeans for sixteen ninety-eight.

Can you guess what they are?

Yes, that's right. Levi's bootcut jeans, only these were Silvertab jeans that cost about fifty bucks at Macy's or insert-random-clothing-store-here. The only thing I had to do was remove a few uneeded seems from the pockets on one pair.

I think I might go back and buy a few more... :scratchchin:

Edited by YellowJacket894

I still own a pair of Tommy jeans that i bought 6 years ago at 65 bucks, not worn spots really, plus I owned a pair of POLO jeans for five years at a cost of 50 bucks, so sometimes you DO pay for better quality. Another example was the pair of ADIDAS I bought in 2001 for $85, I only tossed em out becuase the suede got ruined becuase my moms neon broke down and I had to walk home after it rained, but I wore em until 2005 w/ no wear on em.

Yeah, right.  :rolleyes:

I used to always wear Dockers, until I discovered that Dockers are garbage. The no name Wal-Mart pants I'm wearing now have lasted longer than any pair of Dockers I have ever owned, and they were a fraction of the price.

172622[/snapback]

I said "quality designer" items. Old Navy and Dockers do not count. I had the same experience as mustang84 with Old Navy.

There is also a direct correlation between price and comfort. You might scoff at the $65 retail Camp Beverly Hills Tshirts, but I guarantee you that I have never felt a softer more comfortable cotton shirt in my life. Of course, I paid less than half of the retail price :AH-HA_wink: .

The overall construction is dictated by the price...how do companies sell clothes so cheaply? Cutting corners. Ever notice how buttons come off a lot of pants? Trust me, it's because they are the cheaper brands that didn't properly and securely sew the button on in the first place. If properly sewn (takes more effort/precision) that button won't go anywhere unless you cut the thread.

Double-stitched seams are another example. Thickness of fabric (sturdier) and thread are another more expensive but necessary "upgrade."

Slim-fits and other tailorings also add to the cost.

I get more mileage out of the higher-priced items I have, not only because of the added comfort, but also because they look more tailored and therefore look better on me than the standard one-size-fits-all clothes. Economically, if I pay twice the price for something but wear it three times as often as the alternative, it is technically a better value.

I guess I'm not alone then.  I will not buy clothes with the brand name displayed on the outside, like I want everyone to know where I shopped.  That's kind of snobby.

172538[/snapback]

Yo, PB dude, you can do the label thing by going to Costco (CK or RL jeans for $ 20, typically, or polos from outlet stores for about the same price).

I tend to buy stuff at Macy's when there's a sale, a chunk from catalogs (LL Bean, Territory Ahead) but most of it from OUTLETS.

But I'm more of an Old Navy jeans kind of guy. CK jeans always remind me of disco wear, and I'm not glam like that. I go into A&F to look at the posters on the walls, but the clothes don't impress me. They are way too expensive and they look like thrift store stuff that's been worn for years before being dropped off in a Hefty bag.

Besides, CB, I let my Costco membership lapse. Maybe the next time I need TP (in about 2 years), I'll renew my membership.

my old navy jeans have held up well.

Eddie Bauer. that stuff lasts, even if its 'Des Moines 96' like the SP episode said. Hell, my BIL gave me like 6 Eddie Bauer shirts he was no longer wearing like 5 years ago and I still wear them, they are just now starting to fray abit and stuff.

I also inherited his Nordstroms shirts which are exceptional.

outlets are the way to shop as long as the merch don't look repulsive

I guess I'd deffinitely be considered "preppy" with my pretty much all A&F wardrobe. They are very comfortable for me and are very durable as well. During the warmer climates I sport the cargo shorts and t-shirts...Suprisingly I have a couple that are over a year old and they have held up pretty well, though now they're a bit worn...They are comfortable though and fit me well...I also have a few polos which I used to wear all the time. I guess I went out of that phase...Went from Polos to t-shirts. Haven't worn one in a while.

During cooler climates I sport their jeans and long sleeve button down shirts/long sleeve polos. That's my ideal outfit actually...I accidentally picked up an extra worn pair of jeans there once and didn't really bother trying them on to see...I was about to take them back, but I ended up getting a lot of compliments on them and I have grown to kind of like them...These were pretty worn too...I don't usually care for buying heavily worn jeans...semi-worn is fine, but they turned out alright. They have still held up well and are very comfortable. Not too long ago I got a really nice white A&F button down. It's made of pretty heavy cotton. Nice and thick. I like it a lot and it looks good, but it's a bit warm for summer. THough, I also picked up a couple lighter striped Ezra button-downs which are really comfortable and light. Has been pretty good in the heat.

CK jeans always remind me of disco wear

173294[/snapback]

Funny! Not to worry, CK and RL have evolved. They look like regular jeans now, loose fitting and they sometimes have the pre-washed look. And $ 21.99 !

Man. I shop at the outlet mall, Bealls, and Ross. I spend less than $20 on a button-down shirt and less than $25 on pants/slacks. They all wear very well and are very confortable.

Sometimes, I walk around Nordstroms or Saks and just laugh at the ugly overpriced crap people buy. However, one day I will have a tailor-made Saks suit. But for everyday clothes, its foolish to spend that much.

Also, I refuse to spend more than $25 on non-dress pants and more than $20 on non-dress shirts.  I've never set foot inside an AF nor have I ever purchased anything American Eagle.  Anyone that pays $50 for a pair of ratty-ass, shredded jeans is a f@#king moron, IMO.

171413[/snapback]

I agree...I used to shop at the GAP/OLD NAVY outlet...shirts for 4 bucks and pants for 10. I'm too cheap...but I do have a couple A&F shirts and aeropostale...because one of my 'friends' bought them for me as presents...she thought I would look good in them...good thing her parents had the money to buy me that clothes...ha ha...

Im deffinelty on the Prep side here.

I have very good taste in dress clothes which comes in handy since I am in court so much (since I am an hourly paralegal)

I have suits from Hugo Boss, Expres and a few others (6 total) and while some retail at close to 600 I never spent more than 300 since I am a shrewed negotiator and always pay cash, you can tell which sales reps/ stores so I deal under the table.

Dockers kakis I get on sale from bobs in bulk. Just bought 8 pairs today for 158 on sale with discount card.

I ocassionaly go nuts a by a crazy expensive dress shrit tie combo if I see it and like it at nordstrom though I try to stay clear of there so I dont go broke lol.

For what I call Prssentable/bar casual I where generic cargo kakis shorts with A&F tshirt or polo. I am close to the limit with A&F sizes though as I currently wear XL and they only go up to XXL.

Thats one thing that pisses me off, Im not that big. Atually im not at all Fat, I am 5'10, 200lbs at about 9 percent body fat I just work out a lot. the t shirts stretch better but the polos i tend to fray the sleaves slightly just by wearing them.

When im just hangin in my place I usually where gym type clothes, mesh shorts and a t shirt. Thats pretty much it

I walk aroubd naked but my massive wang wraps around my body so it looks like I'm clothed in Wang Wear.

But really, I dont spend much time or effort on clothing, random t-shirts and polos, depending on the situation. I do have a couple L.L. Bean t-shirts, but thats pretty much all for the brand-name, overpriced crap.

Hmm...let's see. Designer wardrobe, or ZZ502 for the Corvette. Decisions, decisions. :P

• 2 years later...

Holy crap...back from the dead.

Funny looking back on my style 2 years ago and comparing to now...

I've gone from preppy douche to clean-cut and simple.

I predominantly wear Levis and solid color t-shirts (mostly black) now.

I'm not even going to bother re-reading my old posts...but a quick look around:

A&F skinny jeans

Reef flip flops

Sperry Topsiders

Ed Hardy sneakers

Puma athletic shoes

Lacoste polo shirts

many, many random Ts from all over the place, most recently surf/skate styles

a $h! ton of zip-up hooded sweaters, surf/skate style

patterned surf/skate shorts (PacSun)

various argyle items

yeah, I've become a lot more SoCal in the last couple years.

Albert says that my two favorite designers are Mark Down and C.L. Rance.

Marshalls, Ross, TJ Max, Filene's Basement - high quality, designer clothing at not high prices. Sure there is crap there, but you just have to look to find the good stuff. Many of the mall stores, Guess, American Eagle, Gap, Banana Republic, have good clearance sections. I rarely buy from H&M anymore because I find that their stuff falls apart way too easily despite generally fitting very well.

I've been all about high level outlet stores like nordstrum rack latley. I got a final clearance chasmere Hugo Boss coat that I saw going for 1200 in the winter for 190 with tax. With the economy being so $h!ty theres a lot more good stuff filtering down to the outlets.

Around the house - UPS shirts that have been given to my wife and I over years & jeans or pj bottoms

Out and about - Organic T-shirts made in Texas & Levis with Doc Martin shoes

Semi-dressed up out and about with wife - Long sleeve shirt & Levis with Boots

Work - See around the house, as I am on temporary disability.

Government meetings / BumperFuel Presentations / "Dress Up" - Burberry suit & dress up shirt, black shoes

For the most part we make a point to buy US Made products, even if it means it costs a little more. We find that they last longer and are of better quality.

Albert says that my two favorite designers are Mark Down and C.L. Rance.

Marshalls, Ross, TJ Max, Filene's Basement - high quality, designer clothing at not high prices. Sure there is crap there, but you just have to look to find the good stuff. Many of the mall stores, Guess, American Eagle, Gap, Banana Republic, have good clearance sections. I rarely buy from H&M anymore because I find that their stuff falls apart way too easily despite generally fitting very well.

Agreed on H&M. I got three shirts from them when visiting NYC (before the expanded to Indianapolis, and before I moved to CA), and one shrunk very unevenly (button-down) after the first wash, the other had held up alright despite not being cut entirely evenly to begin with, and the other fell apart within a week. They are high style, poor quality, and poor construction. You get what you pay for.

I also gotta agree with the clearance racks. Saks has amazing clearance racks, and I always end up getting really cool $120 Ts for $30-$45.

Jeans, Polo shirts or the occasional t shirt. Have only a few pairs of dress pants and nice shirts to match for the occasion, but as an engineer, I do not need to look sales man style, so I keep it pretty casual. :P

I'm old and not a fashionisto (or whatever they hell they are called), but here's whats in my closet.

Casual clothes

Levis Jeans (550, 505, 517, 565)

Carhartt duck work jeans

Carhartt carpenter jeans

Carhartt bib overalls

Polo shirts

Plain tshirts, assorted colors

a hat or cap of some kind, skull caps,too

work western boots, work boots, biker boots, hiking boots

House clothes

Lounge pants

wife beaters

Dress up

Suits (black, navy, charcoal)

Button up shirts (assorted colors)

Ties

dress slacks (tan, black, navy, charcoal)

polo shirts

exotic skin boots (I hate loafers and dress shoes of any type)

Jackets

Levis blue jean jacket

Leather jacket

Oilskin duster

I also have swim wear and stuff for water tests with the Newfs.

I guess my oddest wardrobe malfunction is that I buy nothing but Levi's jeans. I've got...about three drawers full of nothing but that one brand of pants. Most of them are boot cut, too. As a matter of fact, that's what I'm wearing right now.

Some of them have holes, too. Big deal. One pair I actually distressed myself; they were an old pair I bought at a yard sale for an Abe Lincoln and I just sat down with a piece of sandpaper I got out of Woodshop and started sanding away at the knees. I ended up doing that to one other pair; the rest are...factory installed and cost thirty big ones to buy.

I never wear dress pants. Never. Not even to a funeral. I hate the way that khakis ride up in the legs like a pair of damn high-waters and how they give you an ugly psuedo-boner when you sit down. Dockers can kiss my white ass. (Second Thought: Okay, I'll wear a pair if they're about...two or three sizes too big. The pleats....take them or leave them, I don't give a $h!. And, yes, I have worn jeans to a funeral although I'd wear a pair of khakis if someone bitched at me long enough.)

As for shirts, I like band t-shirts (ones you buy from places other than Sears, JC Penny, and Goody's), auto t-shirts, nice polos, and a button-up for special occasions.

And I like caps. Baseball caps. Makes my hair look cool.

I don't know what in the f@#k you'd consider my style as...but it sure as hell ain't Emo and way more tasteful than what you buy from the Monopoly Store Chain Second-Hand White Trash Department.

Wow, blast from the past.

It's like I was a totally different person.

It shows that I was seriously sex deprived two years ago.

(Thread is now dead; fades back to page 98.)

Edited by YellowJacket894

Whatever I get as hand me downs from other family members and whatever is on sale on Target/Kmart/Shopko. Some days it's business casual, some days its jeans, some days its a floral mumu; I never know what I'm going to find when I open the dresser drawer. :smilewide:

Mumu - Now that has got to bring the girls running . . . away.

• 2 months later...