Camaro for 2008 - From Detroit Free Press

jrockb4

Having a comfortable interior with a somewhat useable back seat will also help sell all trim levels. If hp were the only thing that sells cars then the Mustang would be the one on hiatus right now, but the Mustang was a little more comfortable, a little more practical and just held greater overall appeal to the masses.

I agree with you 100%. I just didn't say it because, assuming the car makes it to production relatively unchanged, it looks to be infinitely more comfortable and usable than the 4th gen.

I agree with you 100%. I just didn't say it because, assuming the car makes it to production relatively unchanged, it looks to be infinitely more comfortable and usable than the 4th gen.

177114[/snapback]

It will be interesting to see how much the car changes overall..I assume there will be detail changes--smaller wheels, things like the headlights, larger side mirrors, interior trim, etc. But I wonder if they will raise the roof or enlarge the windows any..the windshield opening looks awfully small from the pics (I wonder how the headroom and outward visibility of the concept are)..

Edited by moltar

YES!  :ohyeah:

Now just build a Trans Am too and I'll be really happy.

176707[/snapback]

No kidding! Great that the Camaro is coming back but I am a di-hard Firbird guy. I have owned both in the past. So a real nice 3rd gen for me I think.

Of course I could change my mind.... :AH-HA_wink:

Edited by avro206

The key to widespread acceptance of the Camaro will be the credibility of the V6 model. We all know that the V8 models will be nothing less than awesome. The last gen base model was a pretty bad ride for the non-enthusiast. The 3800 in stock form just did not move that car well at all. A base 5th gen with a 250-260hp V6 with a nicely tuned suspension and steering setup could sway a lot of G35 and 350Z buyers.

177101[/snapback]

Right on. We know they can nail the 400HP V-8 version but they will have to have an excellent base or mid level model that can get 30MPG to be able to market this car effectively. I've already saw one TV report today and heard a radio show today about the Camaro announcement and people were asking why GM is bringing out a 400HP car when gas is at $3.50 a gallon. Unfortunately for GM this annoucement comes at a bad time.

Has anyone considered that the Transformer movie is due in July of 07 and they are calling the new Camaro a 08.

Hmmm could the movie be a big lead in to the release of the car in August or September as a 08,

The movie transforms a Second gen into a 08 Camaro that fights bad Mustang police car autobots. I am sure GM made sure $$$$ this was not all by chance. If so I would expect the movie to be part of the roll out lead in.

I guess we will know by Thursday.

<_< I am getting damned tired of this: The Camaro will get as good or better mileage than the current Corvette. There will surely be a DOD system to deactivate cylinders when not needed, and if they are anything like the current LS2 - they should get anywhere from 26-32 MPG on the highway. Keep your foot out of a vette and you will ALWAYS see mid to high 20's in mixed driving.

Stop this misinformation before it starts! If you get enough Toyota ecoweenies bitching about GM bringing out another GAS HOG then the press will be all over GM to NOT bring us back our Camaro. Get the word out on how efficient your LS1 is, or your 3800 - or your LS2 Vette...get THE TRUTH into people's heads that these cars can perform well on the street and at the pumps.

Guest YellowJacket894

'Fraid you dont know what your talking about on that on YJ. GM has yet to prove they have anything better and the imports for the most part just surpassed it this model year. Thats the truth. Ain't no leper and it never needed life support. However it has been life support for Pontiac and Chevy that simply had no decent V6. The crowds cheered when the finally recieved the L67. Thats the truth.  8)

176839[/snapback]

We're talking about the W-Body here, right? One of the only platforms in GM's repitore that's just as old as I am (which, in the auto world, is pretty gosh-damned old) and crusty as a scab around the edges?

I didn't mean to imply that the W-Bones are bad thing, there is worse out there, but they are stale and feature a cartoonish front-overhang, hence the wide-eyed about-to-cry headlamps on the Impala and Impala-Carlo. To me, the platform is long-in-the-tooth and stale as an old pack of Zesta crackers. And there really is nothing special about the W-Cars other than the fact that you can shoehorn a V8 in there (and pick up gobs of torque-steer in the process). No, the W-Body should have died in 2000 or 2001 and GM should have had Zeta out then. Then they could make the Chrysler LX's look like a bunch of rear-drive K-Cars.

And the "high-value" engines are just as stale, crusty, and old. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but isn't the High-Value 3900 engine a deritive of the 3500? If so, that 3500 is a derivitive of a Buick engine of the Sixties, an engine that managed to watch Nixon resign and listen to crummy old disco pour out of car speakers. To me, that's downright geriatric.

Edited by YellowJacket894

And the "high-value" engines are just as stale, crusty, and old. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but isn't the High-Value 3900 engine a deritive of the 3500 in the top-of-the-line Impalas (not SS) built between 2000 and 2005? If so, that 3500 is a derivitive of a Buick engine of the Sixties, an engine that managed to watch Nixon resign and listen to crummy old disco pour out of car speakers. To me, that's downright geriatric.

177283[/snapback]

no, the 3500 and 3900 are the youngsters in the line that started as the 2.8 in the mid 80's...then the 3100 then the 3400.

but if they do use the 3900, again , hopefully at least 260 can be coaxed from them stock.. either w/ 3V or just good tuning...

:huh: like I had said when I started on about the high-horse V6 spoken to me by the engineer I met at the Heritage Center he definately spoke of a new engine. How this erupted into bitching about the old V6's and the W-body (thread hijack?) is beyond me.

I have never liked FWD cars. Cannot give me one. (Although the HHR has me thinking) This is why most of us here are EXCITED about the Camaro coming out. It is a sight that the heads are out of the asses at GM, or those with them still lodged up there are dying off or suffocating from the afliction. Good riddance to a bad design if you ask me. There is a reason why 100% of the uber-performance cars are RWD or AWD...it is the balance and excitement the formula delivers.

RWD is my choice when the car is well balanced and well powered to give me understeer or oversteer with a tap of my foot. Never had that thrill in a FWD car. Ever.

So, that is why I am excited for the return of the RWD cars from GM. I am living with hope above hope that they are so good they make the other automakers weep with dread of what they have to come up with to compete.

:huh: like I had said when I started on about the high-horse V6 spoken to me by the engineer I met at the Heritage Center he definately spoke of a new engine.  How this erupted into bitching about the old V6's and the W-body (thread hijack?) is beyond me. 

hope i wasn't part of that group <_<:P8)

a NEW engine you say... well... i'll say no more untill it's verified :) but sounds exciting! :thumbsup:

We're talking about the W-Body here, right? One of the only platforms in GM's repitore that's just as old as I am (which, in the auto world, is pretty gosh-damned old) and crusty as a scab around the edges?

I didn't mean to imply that the W-Bones are bad thing, there is worse out there, but they are stale and feature a cartoonish front-overhang, hence the wide-eyed about-to-cry headlamps on the Impala and Impala-Carlo. To me, the platform is long-in-the-tooth and stale as an old pack of Zesta crackers. And there really is nothing special about the W-Cars other than the fact that you can shoehorn a V8 in there (and pick up gobs of torque-steer in the process). No, the W-Body should have died in 2000 or 2001 and GM should have had Zeta out then. Then they could make the Chrysler LX's look like a bunch of rear-drive K-Cars.

And the "high-value" engines are just as stale, crusty, and old. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but isn't the High-Value 3900 engine a deritive of the 3500 in the top-of-the-line Impalas (not SS) built between 2000 and 2005? If so, that 3500 is a derivitive of a Buick engine of the Sixties, an engine that managed to watch Nixon resign and listen to crummy old disco pour out of car speakers. To me, that's downright geriatric.

177283[/snapback]

Nope, but this is not the topic for this discussion. Nearly all your assumption are totally off. You should learn more make fewer assumptions and definantly not repeat "wifes tales" picked up around narrow circles.

You should read the link Loki posted in the tec section under the topic http://www.cheersandgears.com/forums/index...showtopic=10630

link http://www.media.gm.com/us/powertrain/en/p...20%28LZ9%29.pdf

uses tecnology applied to the LS series engine

never related to the Buick V6 other than use of the word V6........futhermore

the last 3800 is no more related to the first 3.8 than Hondas Vtec is to the old CVCC

unless you consider something that has 6 cylinders, block, heads, pistons, crank, camshaft and various nuts and bolts all thats necessary to be "deritive"

8) Actually, from what the engineer was telling me ( he drives cars for GM all day long - punishing them - then taking home one of the comparison cars from the fleet - maybe a 7-series today, a Lexus Hybrid (yucky :yuck: ) or some other 'high-line' car before it is disected by engineering to see if things can be leared from it's construction. We were discussing his "job" and he was more than happy to share that the powertrains that we have today - as good as the LS series engines are now - ARE NOTHING compared to what we will see down the road. Efficiency is up, power is up - and he never said words like Turbo or power adder...so I am excited. This guy is a car guy - and he positively GLEAMED when he spoke of the skunkworks ( He also saw the next possible Impala and was MORE than enthusiastic...his exclamation about that car was something you would say to a supermodel if you were daring!!! :AH-HA_wink: Sarts with an F and ends with a me!)

The future is bright at GM. I think we may have a problem though - we may want more than one of everything!

If they want that car to "fly off the showrooms" they will release it in the spring when everyone has that feeling. I do not get this fall debut thing at all. Who feels like a new car with the gloom of fall and winter around the corner. Then you get all the bad prees about how a model is not selling, ect. I realize there will be alot of interest in this Camaro, regardless of season but I bet more buyers would be impulsive with spring fever callin and the general better outlook feeling that comes with the spring. All cars should debut as a _ _ 1/2 MY.

Just a thought.

176865[/snapback]

Not sure where you come up with that hypothesis. Car sales are seasonal to begin with, so it really doesn't matter when a car comes out.

The newMustang came out in the fall (and the 1994 SN95 Mustang a couple of days before Christmas) & did exceedingly well. Chrysler's LXs came out succesive summers and did very well. Solstice hit the showrooms late fall-early winter. Still have a waiting list for 'em.

I realize that the Camaro is not SUPPOSED to be in the same price range, but when you can choose between a hard loaded Camaro or a decent BMW 330i or G35...the decision gets a little fuzzy.  When you throw in the ricers at $12-22k there is a lot to be concerned with.  It can become hazy.  The GT500 Mustang is $42k - that is BMW 5 series/Corvette/Used M3 category...you cannot tell me that a Z28 SS ZL1 is not going to be pushing that envelope...and that is serious money...I just want GM to give us a Camaro that Motor Trend is not bitching about sub-par levels of plastic or some trim falling off.  It will have to compete on a 'Global' scale for the buyers in this market. 

I want people to get into it, not knowing what it is, and say "Holy $hit! This is a Chevrolet Camaro?  NFW!?"  I think aiming at the Mustang is aiming too low and giving the blue oval something to be proud of.  And don't get me wrong - I think this is the nicest Mustang to come out on the market since the 60's.

Am I asking too much?

177091[/snapback]

Yes..... yes, you are.

Camaro isn't a "Global" car. The BMW buyer is going to buy a BMW. Ricers are overrated.

Do you know what the #1 and #2 selling sports coupes in America were in 2002?

Mustang was 1. Number 2 was........CAMARO!

Currently, Mustang is selling more coupes than all other competitors combined.

Think about that while you are pushing for a G35 or BMW 3 series Camaro. :lol:

Track prepared BMW's, Audis, Porsches are proving no superiority over Mustang or GTO, so I dont think they will prove any over this Camaro either, so thats the performance part.

Camaro interior quality is in the hands of GM's designers and lastly bean counters, the latter is the worry, we can only hope they have "learned their lesson"

I dont think we could expect a Camaro to be as handy in the back seat as a BMW or Audi sedan but I sure hope they do better than the Mustang which nearly has a pointless rear seat.

Then when it comes to styling if this is not sterilized and well built, I believe according to my tastes it has no competition, NONE ! Still the BMW crowd will never surrender or be seen in such a styling statement. The point would be to pull someone only considering a BMW or Nissan/Inifinity or Chrysler or Mustang or whatever potential performance car into buying the Camaro.

With maximum performance, quality and packaging mix this car could be a winner.

I'm with YellowJacket... the only reason the 2006 W-bodys do not

plain flat out suck is three simple reasons:

1. They're not made by Honda

2. THey're not made by Toyota

3. They're Domestic, and GM to boot

Other then that I have absolutely no reason to ever want to

rent one or even ride in one, and I'll never buy one since, as

most of you know I'd rather get a RWD Japanese/German car

then sell out to a car who's crank sits sideways like in some

&#036;h&#33;ty economy car with a four banger.

I'd say Spring 2008.  :scratchchin:

176795[/snapback]

My guess... based on GM's history:

They'll shoot for April/May of 2008 as a 2009 and

it will launch like Nov. of 2008, (as a 2009.)

I realize that thinking that people would cross-shop a BMW 3-er to a Z28 is a far fetched example, and we are not going apple to apple here - what I am hoping for is that there is an attempt to build the new Camaro into a stylish car that can also be practical...a rear seat that is more user freindly than the second and third gens were. The word ERGONOMICS being introduced to the Camaro lexicon in the place of the word mullet. A car that is practical and comfortable for a cross country drive or a 1/4 mile jaunt. :P A car that has the driving characteristics of the benchmark cars (3-er coupe) without the expensive upkeep and the balls to back up the looks. The option of NAV, Bluetooth, Homelink. A/C, and the bells and whistles that some people want while others say; "Nah, just give me a big block, 6 speed and a 12-bolt posi..."

I don't think this is too much to ask in todays market. Global car? NO. But good enough to make the people who cannot have one wish they could. My Tahoe is the step in the right direction (already talked two BMW X5 buyers into Tahoes - thank you very much!) I have seen and shown the GM light - so I know they can do it.

:yes: :AH-HA_wink:

Speaking of AH-HA winks, he did say something about 40th Anniversary parties. Wonder if we'll see it in '07?  :scratchchin:

177355[/snapback]

That was before the "cancelling" of Zeta which turned into just a delay. Unless it's being built in Wilmington or somewhere other than Oshawa, it won't be here before CY08.

This is absolutely stellar to hear about. I've been drooling at used F-bodies around here as a "last fling" before the baby comes, but with this announcement. I might just wait, save my pennies and put down the cold hard cash when the new toy comes out. As far as engines are concerned, I'm thinking 3.6 VVT V6 with about 250-275 horses, then moving up to a 5.3 DOD V8 with about 300-340 horses, then a SS-model engine, either 6.0L, or 6.2L w/ DOD with about 360-400 horse, and finally, and in very limited production runs a very special-edition Camaro with the wonderful hand-built 7.0L with about 470-horses. Something that would bring you right up into middle-Vette country without stepping on toooo many toes. Besides, a car like that would be VERY low production, so no harm, no foul.

I just wish it could be original and modern instead of an 05 Mustang ripoff.

177484[/snapback]

If you think the Camaro looks like the Mustang you need to go

get your eyes checked dude. If you mean the Camaro is more

retro than you would have liked, be glad I was not designing it

becuase I'd have left the more retro big headlights & speed

lines down the side on it as well. Retro kicks ass when done up

in a good fashion, and the Camaro conceot is said by most to

be one fo the best & cleanest examples of retro.

If you think the Camaro looks like the Mustang you need to go

get your eyes checked dude. If you mean the Camaro is more

retro than you would have liked, be glad I was not designing it

becuase I'd have left the more retro big headlights & speed

lines down the side on it as well. Retro kicks ass when done up

in a good fashion, and the Camaro conceot is said by most to

be one fo the best & cleanest examples of retro.

177530[/snapback]

Thats exactly what I mean. I'm not a fan of retro designs in the least amount. I'd much prefer an SS-styled Camaro to a retro'd one. But thats just my .02. I don't like the new Mustang either, but its selling at 200k+ a year.

Well it's kind of exciting to see a Mustang, Challenger and now a Camaro all for sale. Unfortunetly for Chevy, Ford probably will have sold 500,00 Mustangs by 2008. They are set to do an update then as well. Knowing how good the Mustang looks and performs They will tread litely, and design another winner. Jury is stillout whether the Challenger and Camaro will hit the mark . I think they will do just fine unless Chevy does what Pontiac did in 04 with the GTO ( sticker prices etc ) Theres room for all 3but in the End the Mustang will still be at the top.

It will be nice to see all 3 on the market....I'm a big fan of the Mustang, looking forward to the Camaro (glad they went with the '69 cues, since the '69 was the best looking of the older Camaros, IMHO), and am also looking forward to the Challenger (my favorite 1970 design). All are retro yet modern..

It will be nice to see all 3 on the market....I'm a big fan of the Mustang, looking forward to the Camaro (glad they went with the '69 cues, since the '69 was the best looking of the older Camaros, IMHO), and am also looking forward to the Challenger (my favorite 1970 design).  All are retro yet modern..

177565[/snapback]

I'm sorry, I missed what was modern on the Challenger..? Oh, just the suspension? kay, gotcha :AH-HA_wink:

im so glad they are bringing the camaro back.. there wont be T-tops in the new one though.. but it will have a power sunroof as an option.. the convertible will probably come out for model year 2010.. id like to know where the heck they plan on assembling this car? Oshawa ontario is rumored to be the top choice but the current impala, grand prix and lacrosse will be in production through the 09 model year.. the next logical choice would be Wilmington Del. on the old L-series assembly line.. yes the solstice and sky are built there currently but they dont use the old L series line.. the next choice would be Spring Hill Tn.. the Ion will go out of production next spring and its replacement will be imported from europe..

the fourth choice would be Oklahoma city OK.. it is currently idle.. where ever the camaro is built the next GTO will be assembled there as well.. so with both cars they would have no problem selling around 170,000 annually.. it also could be used to build the next Holden Monaro for export to australia.. right there could be another 20,000 units a year..

as for engines.. the base car will probably have eiether the 3.5L or 3.9L ohv V6.. with 224 or 240 hp this would still be a quick car.. the 3.6L DOHC V6 could also be used but the 3.5 or 3.9L seems more likely.. the next engine will be a 5.3L OHV V8 with 335 hp.. id also like to see this engine with E85 capability.. the next engine will be the stormer.. it will pack a 6.0 or a 6.2L V8 with over 400 hp..

One, more day, only one more day. This is almost as exciting as Christmas. One of the areas that the new Camaro needs to address is the ever expanding American waistline!! This is critical and I think it is where the Mustang finally put the Camaro into a coma. I know, I know the last Camaro way outperformed the Mustang, but it was not something comfortable for the average, midlife crisis American to drive. The Mustang never got caught up in the sports car low to the ground seats and stayed as a pony car (IMHO), it was actually almost a joke performance wise on many models, but that left it accessible to a large cross section of American buyers. Anyone who wanted something sporty (librarians, accountants, etc :->) found the Mustang to be their car of choice. Enthusiats like the members here can not support 200,000 units a year. I hate to say it, but people like my wife (SRX and 9-5 driver) have to sit in it and feel comfortable.

Media Advisory: GM Product Celebration and Rally

Warren – You are invited to attend a General Motors product celebration and rally on THURSDAY, August 10, with an anticipated 7,000 guests including employees and automotive enthusiasts. The event will be hosted by GM North America Engineering Vice President Ed Koerner. Special guests include Chevrolet General Manager Ed Peper and Vice President GM Global Design Ed Welburn who will share information about an exciting new vehicle.

The outdoor event will be held in Warren at the GM Tech Center Event Island, the hill located north of the GM Vehicle Engineering Center and just west of Van Dyke. Media should enter at Gate 9 located on Van Dyke, south of Chicago Rd. and follow signs for “Media Parking.” A media Q&A and photo session will follow. The program will start at 11 a.m. and will conclude around 11:30 a.m.

Warren – You are invited to attend a General Motors product celebration and rally on THURSDAY, August 10, with an anticipated 7,000 guests including employees and automotive enthusiasts. The event will be hosted by GM North America Engineering Vice President Ed Koerner. Special guests include Chevrolet General Manager Ed Peper and Vice President GM Global Design Ed Welburn who will share information about an exciting new vehicle.

The outdoor event will be held in Warren at the GM Tech Center Event Island, the hill located north of the GM Vehicle Engineering Center and just west of Van Dyke. Media should enter at Gate 9 located on Van Dyke, south of Chicago Rd. and follow signs for “Media Parking.” A media Q&A and photo session will follow. The program will start at 11 a.m. and will conclude around 11:30 a.m.

177935[/snapback]

What time is the event in Traverse City? Is it going to be at the same time?

177935[/snapback]

Alright forget confirmation by the insiders, it seems they don't know or don't want to talk about it anyways, HERE COMES THE CAMARO!!! :pbjtime:

Hey Guy, remember when I said the Camaro would be made in 2007 ;)

177353[/snapback]

Awww shucks sweetie. Wrong AGAIN. Well at least you didnt say it was "shelved."

On the bright side, now you and Camino can stop living in that "I'll be able to buy it next year" fantasty land. :)