Camaro for 2008 - From Detroit Free Press

jrockb4

Well, time to keep that money in the bank!!! I was considering upgrading the truck with a turbo and exhaust kit, but now I'll just put it to the Camaro!

:ohyeah:

Lets hope they give us some engine numbers on this thing!

Camaro --->  :fryingpan:  <---Mustang.

176653[/snapback]

That has got to be the first time I've ever seen the :fryingpan: used!

Edited by Captainbooyah

and in response to the $3.15 gas, I drive my Vette all the time because it DOES get great gas mileage. I cannot think of a reason to NOT by the Camaro if it is even close to the Vette in performance at the pumps. The four/five seats will be instrumental in that decision as well. Add that to the ability to :fryingpan: all the frowny faced Mousetang drivers make it even better.

If that 300+ horse V6 is as good as rumours say it is...I may even go that route!

Fan-Effin-Tastic!

At least now they have a reason for having such a droopy face!

176648[/snapback]

Boo-Yeah! :yes:

I was waiting for the RWD Lucerne to come out, then I saw pictures of the new trucks and thought.....maybe I needed one of those......now I'm thinking I may need to wait for the Camaro to come out.......Who'd a thunk it? So many choices from the world's greatest car company. I love it.

You guys talking bad about the mustang.....I've never been a mustang fan, but I think the current one is the best looking one so far. The Camaro, though, is much better looking and if produced like the concept will be an instant classic.

What foreign car can come close to the kind of style and performance for the kind of money the Camaro will likely be???

If that 300+ horse V6 is as good as rumours say it is...I may even go that route!

176665[/snapback]

what rumors of the 300+hp v6? care to share? talking the 3.6?

hmmm... they think they'll announce 1 v6 and TWO v8s.... is it going to the ls4 and the ~6.2L or the 6.2L and something else? yes i know we have a thread for that, actually we've had more like a few. LOL

can't wait till thursday then if engines are announced people will be throwing the told you so's everywhere!!!! duck and cover!!!

3.9 V6, 5.3 V8, 6.0 V8 maybe?

176696[/snapback]

w/ ~260hp .... ~330hp .... and ~ 420 hp ? weeeeee!!!!

you mean ~6.2?

cause i thought they said the 6.0L (in the concept) would not be the engine in it by the time it was produced.

am i right?

Edited by loki

w/ ~260hp  .... ~330hp .... and ~ 420 hp ?      weeeeee!!!!

you mean ~6.2? 

cause i thought they said the 6.0L (in the concept) would not be the engine in it by the time it was produced. 

am i right?

176705[/snapback]

I was thinking 6.0 since that is what the '06 GTO had and the Corvette has...

This car is perfect. I hope they keep it edgy and dont sterilize it to production. Our plan was to be able to trade the G6 GTP for this car or maybe whatever Pontiac or Buick has on this platform in 2010. I think this edgy styling of the Camaro will win me over.

I gotta say for a V6, I feel they should put the very best output possible out of the 3.6 in there. There is the competition to think about. This car should have GMs very best V6 in it, they will get way to much flack if they use the 3.9.

This car is perfect. I hope they keep it edgy and dont sterilize it to production. Our plan was to be able to trade the G6 GTP for this car or maybe whatever Pontiac or Buick has on this platform in 2010. I think this edgy styling of the Camaro will win me over.

I gotta say for a V6, I feel they should put the very best output possible out of the 3.6 in there. There is the competition to think about. This car should have GMs very best V6 in it, they will get way to much flack if they use the 3.9.

176801[/snapback]

Yeah, I'd say go for the 3.6 also...but knowing GM, the bean counters will push for the 3.5 or 3.9 I bet..

Guest YellowJacket894

If GM doesn't install a 300-horsepower 3.6, it'll be a bad move. Well, not unless GM plans to use it for the trim level between the base model and the SS.

I dunno. They gotta make a real splash with this thing. I figure the 3.6 will be the one in here, because it'll match or exceed the V6 power supplied by say, the Nissan 350Z and the Mustang. It'd be funny if the V6 made similar horsepower to the Mustang's V8, if maybe having less torque....

...but horsepower is what sells vehicles. <_<

Guest YellowJacket894

I dunno. They gotta make a real splash with this thing. I figure the 3.6 will be the one in here, because it'll match or exceed the V6 power supplied by say, the Nissan 350Z and the Mustang. It'd be funny if the V6 made similar horsepower to the Mustang's V8, if maybe having less torque....

...but horsepower is what sells vehicles.  <_<

176806[/snapback]

Let's just hope they don't repeat a W-Body move and have an old nail of an engine planted under the hood. It irks me when something that should have put out to pasture five years before it finally dies sticks around. It's like living with a leper on life support.

Let's just hope they don't repeat a W-Body move and have an old nail of an engine planted under the hood. It irks me when something that should have put out to pasture five years before it finally dies sticks around. It's like living with a leper on life support.

176812[/snapback]

I bet the base model will have the 3.5 or 3.9 with a 4-speed auto...

176812[/snapback]

Fraid you dont know what your talking about on that on YJ............GM has yet to prove they have anything better and the imports for the most part just surpassed it this model year. Thats the truth. Aint no leper and it never needed life support, however it has been life support for Pontiac and Chevy that simply had no decent V6. The crowds cheered when the finally recieved the L67. Thats the truth. 8)

what rumors of the 300+hp v6?  care to share?    talking the 3.6?

hmmm... they think they'll announce 1 v6 and TWO v8s....  is it going to the ls4 and the ~6.2L  or the 6.2L and something else?  yes i know we have a thread for that, actually we've had more like a few.  LOL

can't wait till thursday then if engines are announced people will be throwing the told you so's everywhere!!!!    duck and cover!!!

the engines will probably be a 3.9L V6 with 245 hp, a 5.3L V8 with 335 hp, and the top engine will be a slightly detuned version of the vette engine with about 390 hp..

Camaro to roar back in 2008... Does that mean it will be in showrooms a year from now or that GM will start setting up manufacturing and tooling in 2008 (meaning 2010 or later production)?

it will go into production in the third quarter of 2008 as a 2009 model.. which means they will be building them two years from now

it will go into production in the third quarter of 2008 as a 2009 model..  which means they will be building them two years from now

176857[/snapback]

If they want that car to "fly off the showrooms" they will release it in the spring when everyone has that feeling. I do not get this fall debut thing at all. Who feels like a new car with the gloom of fall and winter around the corner. Then you get all the bad prees about how a model is not selling, ect. I realize there will be alot of interest in this Camaro, regardless of season but I bet more buyers would be impulsive with spring fever callin and the general better outlook feeling that comes with the spring. All cars should debut as a _ _ 1/2 MY.

Just a thought.

Cool news! I wonder what else will be announced?

So this week is Traverse City? We should be getting lots of news then.

176618[/snapback]

I had a funny feeling something was up when Scott was asking for Camaro's for next Thursday. This is the kind of thing they do when they amounce something.

If you can attend this is a historic event and should be gotta be there big deal.

there is a used 2002 Z28 Convertible sitting up the road for sale, I should buy it and head North for the announcement.

I had heard the rumors of the 300+ horse V6 at the concept debut from a powertrain engineer who was talking about some of the toys they have behind the scenes in testing.

Guys: I know you want the Camaro of old...but my hope beyond hope is they are targeting other cars than the Mustang as the benchmark for this car. Cars like the G35 or BMW 330I - it is NOT 1969 anymore - and this is the failure of the Mustang in my opinion - the car has to be as good or better than the Mustang could ever want to be. It has to be on par with the best Import offerings to attract new buyers, and it still has to have enough of the Camaro-ness we all know and love to keep us interested.

Guys: I know you want the Camaro of old...but my hope beyond hope is they are targeting other cars than the Mustang as the benchmark for this car.  Cars like the G35 or BMW 330I - it is NOT 1969 anymore - and this is the failure of the Mustang in my opinion - the car has to be as good or better than the Mustang could ever want to be.  It has to be on par with the best Import offerings to attract new buyers, and it still has to have enough of the Camaro-ness we all know and love to keep us interested.

176976[/snapback]

But those aren't supposed to be competition of the Camaro... the BMW 330I and G35 are luxury sports coupes... the Camaro is a muscle car that doesn't really touch that price range.

I realize that the Camaro is not SUPPOSED to be in the same price range, but when you can choose between a hard loaded Camaro or a decent BMW 330i or G35...the decision gets a little fuzzy. When you throw in the ricers at $12-22k there is a lot to be concerned with. It can become hazy. The GT500 Mustang is $42k - that is BMW 5 series/Corvette/Used M3 category...you cannot tell me that a Z28 SS ZL1 is not going to be pushing that envelope...and that is serious money...I just want GM to give us a Camaro that Motor Trend is not bitching about sub-par levels of plastic or some trim falling off. It will have to compete on a 'Global' scale for the buyers in this market.

I want people to get into it, not knowing what it is, and say "Holy $hit! This is a Chevrolet Camaro? NFW!?" I think aiming at the Mustang is aiming too low and giving the blue oval something to be proud of. And don't get me wrong - I think this is the nicest Mustang to come out on the market since the 60's.

Am I asking too much?

They need to make the Camaro appeal to car buyers, not just Camaro buyers. If you cant convince people who would otherwise buy a G35 or 3er or stuff like that, whats the point? If its not going to bring in new buyers, it really isn;t going to do much for the bottom line.

But those aren't supposed to be competition of the Camaro... the BMW 330I and G35 are luxury sports coupes... the Camaro is a muscle car that doesn't really touch that price range.

177076[/snapback]

Don't be so sure......

I just got a chance to borrow an '06 Mustang GT for a few days and the MSRP on this (admittedly-loaded) car was over $32K (it had, for example, the $1,200 Shaker 1000 stereo.)

That's touching BMW 325i and (base) Infiniti G35 Coupe pricing.

(oh by the way.....the car is WAY nicer than I ever thought I'd be giving credit to a Mustang for....much smoother and more solid than I really thought it would be.)

Don't be so sure......

I just got a chance to borrow an '06 Mustang GT for a few days and the MSRP on this (admittedly-loaded) car was over $32K (it had, for example, the $1,200 Shaker 1000 stereo.)

That's touching BMW 325i and (base) Infiniti G35 Coupe pricing.

(oh by the way.....the car is WAY nicer than I ever thought I'd be giving credit to a Mustang for....much smoother and more solid than I really thought it would be.)

177095[/snapback]

True enough, but I think the core market is going to be existing Camaro fans and owners, and to a lesser extent Mustang owners, and people considering the Mustang.

I'm both a Mustang fan/owner and a BMW fan/owner (yes, I'm an anomaly--I like domestics and imports, old school and modern) and am definitely in the target demographic for a G35 or 3-series. But I'd definitely take a look at a Camaro, esp. if it was available in a convertible (the Mustang GT convertible is high on my 'next fun car' list), as I still like the old-school muscle cars. I've priced out the Mustang GT a couple times, the way I want one would be $36k which isn't bad for a V8, IMHO.

As long as the price is comparable to the Mustang, I'd consider a Camaro..

The current Mustang GT is a good value for the money...what I'd really like to see from a Mustang (or Camaro) are more options (sunroof for the coupe, nav system, etc) and nicer fit/finish for the interior..

Edited by moltar

The key to widespread acceptance of the Camaro will be the credibility of the V6 model. We all know that the V8 models will be nothing less than awesome. The last gen base model was a pretty bad ride for the non-enthusiast. The 3800 in stock form just did not move that car well at all. A base 5th gen with a 250-260hp V6 with a nicely tuned suspension and steering setup could sway a lot of G35 and 350Z buyers.