More Aura XR Shots

Very nice! The headlights are still on the "bug-eyed" side, but only at certain angles (like low-level, head-on). The rest of the exterior looks great. The interior looks sweet, and the brown leather with "wood" works fine.

you beat me to it! nice photos!

photo 2, it REALLY looks like a G6........

rear photo looks G6ie also.......

same corporate GM steering wheel.......

nice G6 rebadge job.......no coincidence the G6 gets the new powertrain and tranny at the same time......

Edited by regfootball

I'm not feeling the rims, overly G6-like rear end and center stack. It's like GM busted its balls but ran out of air at the last minute. Honestly, that interior is great until you get to the peel-and-stick center stack.

This is an example of badge engineering at its finest. The Aura is a great looking car on its own right and looks NOTHING like the G6, Malibu or Saab.

Now, if the next gen Malibu looks as good as this, GM will officially be on the road to undo the '90s.

Its like GM didn't even TRY to design a nicely integrated center stack.

And the exterior doesn't come off as very original either.  Good thing this model will only live a couple years...

178378[/snapback]

You can tell they started to put effort into it, but then the bean counters stepped in when they put the finishing touches on like the radio and the wood paneling.

The Aura is GM's most competent midsizer to date. 

Is it the Saturn badge that garners so much hostility?  Otherwise, I'm at a loss. 

178777[/snapback]

Honestly, I think it's just a classic example of "stupid is, stupid does."

Well, David Booth writing in the National Post today just raves about the Aura. Other than lamenting about the absence of a 5 or 6 spd auto in the base model, he finishes by saying: "the Aura is definitely the class of this class, which includes the Camry, Accord and Mazda6." High praise, indeed, from a paper that idolizes all things imported.

Yes, on pictures it does look like the G6's rear, but I reserve judgement till I see the real thing in person. But from what I see now, the roofline is different, the wheel flares (sp?) are different

But the thing is, the design is completely identical to the concept, and almost everyone approved of it and raved about it. What's up with all the moaning and groaning now?

Edited by ToniCipriani

The Aura is GM's most competent midsizer to date. 

Is it the Saturn badge that garners so much hostility?  Otherwise, I'm at a loss. 

For me, it's the huge grille and bugeye headlights that I can't stand. I like a sleek, low profile nose like that of the Mazda 6. Also, I'm not a big fan of chrome trim. I find it to be gaudy.

And as a former Saturn fan, I'm disappointed in the lack of polymer body panels. A few months ago when I was looking to replace my 1997 Saturn SL2, I was tempted to buy a Pontiac G6. But instead, I purchased a used 2000 Saturn SL2. I'm glad I did. On top of the money I saved, the polymer panels have already saved me from at least a couple of minor dents. Had I bought a new G6, it would already have a couple of ugly scars on it.

The Autoweek article did provide some positive comments, but mind you they were driving a prototype Aura, not a full-production model. Here are some of the things worth noting...

"Finally merits comparison with the competition"...[Accord and Camry].

They apparently liked the interior and thought everything "from the embossed 'Moroccan brown' leather to the cast-skin dash top to the console mounted shifter, most everything the eye sees and the finger touches is up to snuff". And they continue to say it "surpasses expectations inside the cabin".

They do call out the fact that it is not as sporty looking as the concept, but we all already knew that.

Along with the interior looks, they said it is quiet, had nice rear seat room thanks to the longer wheelbase as used on the Malibu Maxx. And handling was more european feeling like that of a Saab.

Supposedly the car was originally intended for introduction in July(rather than Fall), but Jill Lajdziak(Saturn General Manager) didn't like the armrest/console storage-bin assembly. Autoweek stated that the delay was not just due to the console, but because of Saturn's "general philosophy this car has to be right from the outset".

Based on standard equipment, costs, and fuel mileage, the Aura is very close in nature to the Accord and Camry.

They go on to say, "Aura launches smartly from a stop with sharp upshifts from the new transmission that pleased our drivers who approached it as a sporty sedan, but annoyed those who sought the silky smoothness of Camry".

Next spring will bring the 4-cyl Aura Hybrid, but there was no mention of when the Red Line would be available. Overall they seemed to be very pleased with it and do expect it to sell well. Can't wait to see some in person and see what the press will have to say after a longer period of time with a full production model.

Edited by CreativeVision

One more thing I need to add after looking at the photos a bit more...the foglights are WAAAAYYY too small on that front end. They look out of place alognside the Huge headlights and big chrome grill bar. Just seems like they should have had more presence given the other attributes of the front end. ...The tailpipe tips are too puny as well, especially for a so-called "sports sedan".

I also am also not a fan of the trunk opening. Seems extremely small and high for getting large packages in the car. I can see that rear bumper getting marred up quick. Maybe I just need to see it in person to pass judgment. However I do like that the pass thru from trunk to interior compartment is a full rectanlge versus some of the more rounded off styles I've seen in the past, just wish there was a better way to deal with that middle shoulder-style seat belt attached to the seat.

Saw an Aura XE tonight at the Irving mall, me and brittnie went to watch world trade center, and wow, I will tell all the people that put off the car saying it looks like a G6 that those comments will be silenced right away when they see it in person. I have NEVER seen a more elegant looking mid-size non-luxury on the market.

I see this as a link car - last of the non global GM midsize products.

Its clear from the shots that its no Opel - its a G6 with an Opelesque front clip and a moderate interior upgrade. No 6 speed on the base model and the steering wheel looks cheap.

But still the probably best GM NA midsizer, will carry them through to the EP2's

Yes, on pictures it does look like the G6's rear, but I reserve judgement till I see the real thing in person. But from what I see now, the roofline is different, the wheel flares (sp?) are different

But the thing is, the design is completely identical to the concept, and almost everyone approved of it and raved about it. What's up with all the moaning and groaning now?

179035[/snapback]

It's not completely identical to the concept. That's what's up.

>does not have anything close to the aggressive wheels

>sill on bottom sides and is diminished

>front facia is different

>centre exhaust is gone

>rearview mirrors are not the same

These things added up gave the concept an incredible visual assertiveness. The production car is now just a safe, middle of the road, perfectly nice Saturn. But I find it disappointing. I am still hoping the RedLine will save the day and kick it up a notch.

Saturn Aura Concept:

Posted Image

Saturn Aura Production:

Posted Image

Edited by HarleyEarl

It's not completely identical to the concept.  That's what's up.

>does not have anything close to the aggressive wheels

>sill on bottom sides and is diminished

>front facia is different

>centre exhaust is gone

>rearveiw mirrors are not the same

These things added up gave the concept an incredible visual assertiveness.  The production car is now just a safe, middle of the road, perfectly nice Saturn.  But I find it disappointing.  I am still hoping the RedLine will save the day and kick it up a notch.

179383[/snapback]

You were expecting it to look exactly like the concept? GM said it would look 90% like the concept, and I think they were correct.

>What midsizer has blingy 19s from the factory? I don't think any...

>I'll give you that one, though they're still there and look better than most slab-sided midsizers

>The fascia is pretty similar. The upper grill and headlights are very similar, and while the bottom is different, I think it suits the segment's potential buyers' tastes better. Plus, the RL will probably be very similar to the concept anyways.

>I've never heard of anyone buying a car because it has center exhuast. It looks rather dumb anyways.

>If the rearview mirrors were ugly, then maybe you'd have a ponit, but they look fine.

"The production car is now just a safe, middle of the road, perfectly nice Saturn."

Wow, couldn't have summed it up better myself. And because of that, it will sell in droves. Why? Because, if you've noticed over the past 10 years how many "safe, middle of the road, perfectly nice" CamCords have been sold, then you'd see GM"s reasoning.

Now, does the concept look better? Yes. But, will the production car appeal to a larger amount of people? Yes again.

If you want the concept car's looks, wait for the RL.

I don't see what's with all the bellyaching....the Aura looks great in the Autoweek pics. I guess you just can't please some people.

The aggressive front fascia and side molding will probably be reserved for the Red Line anyway. Save the cool looks for the performance model so you can justify the higher pricetag and make it a little more exclusive.

This is an example of badge engineering at its finest.  The Aura is a great looking car on its own right and looks NOTHING like the G6, Malibu or Saab. 

Now, if the next gen Malibu looks as good as this, GM will officially be on the road to undo the '90s.

178504[/snapback]

The correct term is platform engineering. The Cobalt/G5 and Equinox/Torrent are badge engineered jobs... The Aura uses the G6 platform and powertrains - but the exterior and interior are completely different.

The is a fine example of vehilces sharing a common platform. The Autoweek article is glowing. This is an excellent sedan. GM is clearly on the road to recovery. Since when have they ever invested this much effort in a sedan outside of anything from the Cadillac brand.

The car I see taking the biggest hit is the Buick Lacrosse. This car is more luxurious, better engineered, offers a better engine and transmission options (the 3.6L in this application makes more power and has a better transmission. The car is on a more modern platform, has a bigger interior (the Lacrosse back seat is cramped) and the car is cheaper!!! Who in their right mind would buy a Lacrosse over this. Rumor is that the next generation Lacrosse will be based on the EPII. That can't get here fast enough. I really doubt that the Lacrosse Super will do much to save the sales for the Lacrosse.

I'm with Harley.

180119[/snapback]

But the Camry doesn't have any of those things he listed and you don't care?

It's unfair to compare the Aura to the concept, because the concept is not mainstream enough to sell in large numbers. Everyone should stop their bitching until the RedLine comes, and if it doesn't look like the concept, then you can bitch all you want. Many sports sedans (READ: Not a FAMILY sedan) don't look as racy as the Aura concept, so I don't see what the problem is if the production Aura doesn't.

What everyone seems to forget is many of us car enthusiasts are not the Aura's target market. That's what the RedLine is for.

My only disappointment is the 18" wheels are too conservatively styled, guess you'll have to pony up for the redline if you want sporty looking rims.

I haven't seen an interior with NAV yet?  Is that not an option?

180137[/snapback]

Not yet...but since the NAV fits in the same space as the corporate radio I suspect GM will get in there by the end of the first model year. Maybe by this fall. It really surprises me that GM will offer the navigation on the MCE Equinox and Torrent - but not on this Sedan. The Aura has everything else the competitioni has - except a navigation unit. This is easily fixed. Hopefully Saturn will fix this ASAP before the Media and the competition has time to design campaigns against this car.

Curiously the Lucerne was launched without a Navigation unit...I believe it is available now.

The Aura is at most stores now.

The complaints on this board are not being echoed there.

So what if the Aura doesn't look like a boyracer would drive it. The style flows front to back without needless and silly lines.

Best part about the Aura is there will never be a Darrell Waltrip Edition.

The Aura is at most stores now.

The complaints on this board are not being echoed there.

180363[/snapback]

Do they know there was even a concept version and, if they do, do they remember what it looked like?

It's funny how peope bash Camry/Accord buyers for their "bland," "safe," "conservative" choice but suddenly cheer for the Aura that exhibits those same qualities. Yes, we all know the production Aura and concept Aura are not that different (:rolleyes:), they're 90% the same (:rolleyes:), so what's the problem with having it look a little bit sportier, somewhat different and bolder, especially considering the competition it is up against?

Then again, :deadhorse: