Sign in to follow this  
Bimmer325

More Aura XR Shots

Very nice! The headlights are still on the "bug-eyed" side, but only at certain angles (like low-level, head-on). The rest of the exterior looks great. The interior looks sweet, and the brown leather with "wood" works fine.

you beat me to it! nice photos!

photo 2, it REALLY looks like a G6........

rear photo looks G6ie also.......

same corporate GM steering wheel.......

nice G6 rebadge job.......no coincidence the G6 gets the new powertrain and tranny at the same time......

Edited by regfootball

This is a great looking car. From ever angle. And the wheels I used to hate... I love them now. The navy exterior with the Morrocan interior is my favorite color combo.

Its like GM didn't even TRY to design a nicely integrated center stack.

And the exterior doesn't come off as very original either. Good thing this model will only live a couple years...

178378[/snapback]

Good grief - get over it. At least they color matched it, and it's not just plain black.

I'm not feeling the rims, overly G6-like rear end and center stack. It's like GM busted its balls but ran out of air at the last minute. Honestly, that interior is great until you get to the peel-and-stick center stack.

I'm not feeling the rims, overly G6-like rear end and center stack.  It's like GM busted its balls but ran out of air at the last minute.  Honestly, that interior is great until you get to the peel-and-stick center stack.

178393[/snapback]

Word.

The center stack could be a lot better, and I'd perfer different wheels, but it's still a handsome car, and if the interior materials are good, then that makes it a good car.

I'm not a fan of the interior, but maybe once we see some decent shots with the fake aluminum I would change my mind.

This is an example of badge engineering at its finest. The Aura is a great looking car on its own right and looks NOTHING like the G6, Malibu or Saab.

Now, if the next gen Malibu looks as good as this, GM will officially be on the road to undo the '90s.

Very nicely done. Unique enough. Conservative, buttoned-down exterior, elegant interior for the price. A dash of sporty spice. Excellent new Oldsmobile.

And the exterior doesn't come off as very original either.  Good thing this model will only live a couple years...

178378[/snapback]

You can tell they started to put effort into it, but then the bean counters stepped in when they put the finishing touches on like the radio and the wood paneling.

The headlights are still on the "bug-eyed" side...

So, I'm not the only person in the world who thinks so! :thumbsup: :AH-HA_wink:

It looks like a Chrysler Cirrus to me, especially with those wheels.

The Aura is GM's most competent midsizer to date.

Is it the Saturn badge that garners so much hostility? Otherwise, I'm at a loss.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Oh, and while they didn't use the most flattering picture we've seen, this put a smile on my face. :)

Posted Image

Hey Bimmer what did the Autoweek have say about the Aura looked pretty positive from the front page but give the scoop.

inquiring minds

stillen

Is it the Saturn badge that garners so much hostility?  Otherwise, I'm at a loss. 

178777[/snapback]

Honestly, I think it's just a classic example of "stupid is, stupid does."

For me, the Saturn badge means nothing in terms of how I would rate the car. I guess I feel GM over promised and under delivered.

Well, David Booth writing in the National Post today just raves about the Aura. Other than lamenting about the absence of a 5 or 6 spd auto in the base model, he finishes by saying: "the Aura is definitely the class of this class, which includes the Camry, Accord and Mazda6." High praise, indeed, from a paper that idolizes all things imported.

Yes, on pictures it does look like the G6's rear, but I reserve judgement till I see the real thing in person. But from what I see now, the roofline is different, the wheel flares (sp?) are different

But the thing is, the design is completely identical to the concept, and almost everyone approved of it and raved about it. What's up with all the moaning and groaning now?

Edited by ToniCipriani

Is it the Saturn badge that garners so much hostility?  Otherwise, I'm at a loss. 

For me, it's the huge grille and bugeye headlights that I can't stand. I like a sleek, low profile nose like that of the Mazda 6. Also, I'm not a big fan of chrome trim. I find it to be gaudy.

And as a former Saturn fan, I'm disappointed in the lack of polymer body panels. A few months ago when I was looking to replace my 1997 Saturn SL2, I was tempted to buy a Pontiac G6. But instead, I purchased a used 2000 Saturn SL2. I'm glad I did. On top of the money I saved, the polymer panels have already saved me from at least a couple of minor dents. Had I bought a new G6, it would already have a couple of ugly scars on it.

The Autoweek article did provide some positive comments, but mind you they were driving a prototype Aura, not a full-production model. Here are some of the things worth noting...

"Finally merits comparison with the competition"...[Accord and Camry].

They apparently liked the interior and thought everything "from the embossed 'Moroccan brown' leather to the cast-skin dash top to the console mounted shifter, most everything the eye sees and the finger touches is up to snuff". And they continue to say it "surpasses expectations inside the cabin".

They do call out the fact that it is not as sporty looking as the concept, but we all already knew that.

Along with the interior looks, they said it is quiet, had nice rear seat room thanks to the longer wheelbase as used on the Malibu Maxx. And handling was more european feeling like that of a Saab.

Supposedly the car was originally intended for introduction in July(rather than Fall), but Jill Lajdziak(Saturn General Manager) didn't like the armrest/console storage-bin assembly. Autoweek stated that the delay was not just due to the console, but because of Saturn's "general philosophy this car has to be right from the outset".

Based on standard equipment, costs, and fuel mileage, the Aura is very close in nature to the Accord and Camry.

They go on to say, "Aura launches smartly from a stop with sharp upshifts from the new transmission that pleased our drivers who approached it as a sporty sedan, but annoyed those who sought the silky smoothness of Camry".

Next spring will bring the 4-cyl Aura Hybrid, but there was no mention of when the Red Line would be available. Overall they seemed to be very pleased with it and do expect it to sell well. Can't wait to see some in person and see what the press will have to say after a longer period of time with a full production model.

Edited by CreativeVision

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook