• Greetings Guest!

CheersandGears.com was founded in 2001 and is one of the oldest continuously operating automotive forums out there.  Come see why we have users who visit nearly every day for the past 16+ years. Signup is fast and free, or you can opt for a premium subscription to view the site ad-free.

Variance

GM Minivan Plans Panned

GM Minivan Plans Panned

Posted Image

General Motors Corp. may be bowing out of the minivan business.

Faced with a steep drop in demand for the family vehicles, GM confirmed Tuesday that it has scrapped plans to build new minivan models that would have debuted as early as 2009 under Chevrolet, Saturn and other nameplates.

While GM declined to comment on future vehicle plans, company insiders told The Detroit News that the company has no immediate plans to build minivans after it closes its last minivan-producing plant. The Doraville, Ga., plant builds the slow-selling Chevrolet Uplander and Buick Terraza minivans. It recently stopped producing the Saturn Relay.

The Detroit News

Their products were so inferior. If they built a truly revolutionary minivan, it would sell.

I think this makes sense. Demand for minivans has been falling greatly, and GM was reducing sales estimates repeatedly for these new vans. This frees up production capacity and resources for making other models.

Too bad GM simply gives up instead bothering to try and do something right, in this case anyway. I only like the wheels, some colors, and Chevy front end, but otherwise I have always hated these vans, and so has everyone else. The poor crash ratings haven't helped the ancient/average-from-the-start design either.

Why not build a Lambda variant with sliding rear doors?

Wouldn't that qualify as a "minivan"?

218697[/snapback]

Exactly! Just build a lambda with sliding doors and unique sheetmetal, slap a bowtie on it, and at least you have a product for that segment! To not have any minivan in the whole company just seems shortsighted.

GM could solve the minivan problem easy. The solution is in this thread.

Posted Image

Chopped image (courtesy of familycar.com)

That minivan in this thread would solve two problems.

GM could create minivans off the crossovers and change the rear styling and add the sliding doors( minivan features). They could use the lambda platform as stated and the crossovers and minivans would occupy the same space on the dealer lots. It is cost effective too. The product would adjust whatever is popular in the market. Chevy would get a version which would be the minivan. The interiors would be similar for the minivans and crossovers.

The set up would be:

Chevy - minivan( the front end would be unique to Chevy, but share Saturn headlights)( interior would be very Chevy (akin to the new 2008 Malibu)

Saturn minvan and crossover ( just like the photo in this thread). They would differ in the doors and the rear styling.

Buick- minivan (share front end with Enclave and "some" interior features, but different rear styling.)

GMC crossover(Acadia)

The Chevy,Saturn and Buick would share the liftgate,the taillamps in the back.

You could use the existing factory scheduled and other factory not being used.

3 minivans, 3 crossovers. A total of six vehicles off the same platform share partsa you do not see and some you do.

AWD would be offered too.

Edited by NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

I agree - at least one GM minivan is needed. Why, because there are those out there that default to buying a minivan once they get kids. Honestly, the Lambdas might be a hard sell to those people, who think the stigma of owning a minivan is a lesser evil than the stigma of owning an SUV. Even if they just make one - a Lambda CUV with sliding rear doors would do the trick - it'd be better if they stayed in the segment

I wouldn't do the Buick, just the Saturn and Chevy.

Saturn is moving upmarket and fast, it is easily going to take over Oldsmobile's space in a few years. Oldsmobile is more of a family/people's car than Buick is.

Chrysler, the biggest minivan seller gets by with just Dodge and Chrysler. There is no way that GM, one of the lowest minivan sellers needs more than that.

Chevy Biscayne = Dodge Caravan/Chrysler Voyager

Saturn Relay = Chrysler Town & country

The only problem with just putting sliding doors on one of the crossovers and calling it a minivan is that very few are going to pay $27000+ for a minivan. Minivans are priced right for new families and that is why many buy them.

I might catch hell for this, but I don't think GM should build minivans.

I do think they should build microvans like the Zafira, etc. and badge them as Saturn's.

Besides, the Lambda's are not SUV's. They are FWD crossovers. If GM markets them properly, families may actually be willing to get a Lambda instead of buying a "mommy-mobile"

The Lambda Crossovers are the replacement for all minivans. Expect Toyota & Honda to follow up by dropping or phasing out their Minivans in favor of Full-size Crossovers.

GM should build a midsize theta to compete with the Highlander & Pilot.

Crossovers should all be like this,

Compact CUVs with only an I-4

Midsize CUVs with either an I-4 or a V-6

Full-size CUVs with only a V-6

Well, Chevy def. needs a Lambda.

I really, really hope that GM is simply calling this project by other name than "minivan", instead of abandoning it, because abandoning this segment would be quite stupid. There's the new DCX vans coming, the Ford Fairlane (with a Lincoln version, BTW), and surely Honda and Toyota will have new Siennas and Odysseys before 2010. That's too much market to ignore.

The simple fact is, some people are buying these CSVs we all make fun of and a lot more people would purchase GM vans if they were good. Abandoning this market completely just isn't smart.

The Lambda Crossovers are the replacement for all minivans. Expect Toyota & Honda to follow up by dropping or phasing out their Minivans in favor of Full-size Crossovers.

GM should build a midsize theta to compete with the Highlander & Pilot.

Crossovers should all be like this,

Compact CUVs with only an I-4

Midsize CUVs with either an I-4 or a V-6

Full-size CUVs with only a V-6

Well, Chevy def. needs a Lambda.

218730[/snapback]

I guess if you wanted an absolutely gutless Equinox 4-cylinder that might be a good idea-I know I don't.

I guess if you wanted an absolutely gutless Equinox 4-cylinder that might be a good idea-I know I don't.

218757[/snapback]

I bet you would if it had an "H" on the grill </sarcasm>

Exactly! Just build a lambda with sliding doors and unique sheetmetal, slap a bowtie on it, and at least you have a product for that segment!  To not have any minivan in the whole company just seems shortsighted.

218710[/snapback]

Agreed,without atleased 2 minis the whole segment would be missed.

atleased for the bowtie and the planet! BPG has too much overlap as it is.

I for 1 STILL get a minimum of 5 peeps a week looking for a mini. Maybe...just maybe if we design an ATTRACTIVE minivan with ALL of the options people ask for standard under $36k with the 5/100,000 pt warr and a 4/50k btb warr.............who knows. (abs w/tc and stabilitrac, airbags all around, fold in floor seats,dvd w/ phat noise, fwd w/ awd option, 6 speed trans with new hybrid stop and go power,3.9 v6 w/ afm and vvt, ...oh yah , and about a bajillion cup holders and a under floor storage. all of that in a great looking package! estimated mph of about 24 and 36 ay 240 hp. HOME RUN!jimo 8)

Edited by prototype66

I really, really hope that GM is simply calling this project by other name than "minivan", instead of abandoning it, because abandoning this segment would be quite stupid. .

218735[/snapback]

How about the new GM FLEXUV . The flexible use vehicle! :pbjtime:

Posted Image

Edited by prototype66

218757[/snapback]

The Equinox is not really a compact, and neither is the Vue.

There is too much gyrating going on at the top. First, they abandoned the car market altogether while focusing on trucks, then they realized the car market was crashing for them and they revamped their car lines while ignoring trucks again.

The Venture was a strong seller. It is a shame that GM never updated it with an all new vehicle a couple years ago. Instead, we got the Uplander. The Tracker was another vehicle that started off strong (although Chevrolet got screwed by not having a 6 cylinder available until the year they canned it!) but was allowed to rot.

Chevrolet needs a 5 cylinder CUV, a minivan, a mid-sized SUV and a decent cross-over. THAT is where the market is going. Somebody in Detroit is asleep at the switch again (or they just aren't telling us what is REALLY going on) if they think they can axe the Uplander and not replace it - especially with the Enclave, Acadia, etc. going to everybody else BUT Chevrolet!

I wouldn't say that a 24% drop in 5 years was a sinking ship! The entire truck market has dropped since Katrina. There are still over a million minivans being sold - they are everywhere up here!

CLEARLY, THERE JUST ISN'T ENOUGH MONEY TO GO AROUND. THERE ARE TOO MANY LEAKS IN THE DYKE, AND NOT LUTZ, NOT ANYBODY CAN KEEP UP WITH THE RAPIDLY CHANGING MARKET. SOME BRANDS WILL HAVE TO GO IF GM IS TO KEEP AHEAD OF THE MARKET.

We are having our lunch eaten by Mazda and others who are quickly filling niches as they see them.

HAS ANYONE SEEN THE MAZDA CX-7????? That is what we need.

I just hope all these rumours flying around are just designed to keep the media (and us) off the scent of what they are really up to.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.