Spied: Dodge Avenger (non-R/T)

Variance

I liked the concept so much better. It looks very narrow. It also at the same time, looks pudgy (how is that possible?) It may be the camera, and bad angles...and hub caps...and the lack of a spoiler...it all conspiers to...suck. Hope some better photos will improve this, also I hope the R/T looks like the concept, cuz I loved that.

It'll be nothing short of a miracle if this mess (and it's equally horrid Chrysler sibling) can sustain DCX for the next 5 years. These are the cars they expect to compete in the midsize market?

Mark my words, DCX is headed for some really tough times.

What I find amazing is that DCX has stated repeatedly that it intends to make Dodge a legitamate player in the Europe market and yet after seeing the Caliber and this, I'm really starting to wonder how building ugly and extremely uncompetitive (to Euro standards anyway) vehicles will help them accomplish that lofty goal.

I think the rumors of the Chrysler/Daimler split are looking more realistic when you look at the future lineup of both Dodge and Chrysler.

Looks almost ready for production.  All it's missing is a green E affixed to the trunklid.

-RBB

226402[/snapback]

Just what I was thinking...and actually something I almost expect as an OEM emblem of sorts on a lot of cheap blah-mobiles like this. Actually, this base model Avenger has a level of dullness and bad proportions that make it seem outside like a third world mishmash.

I WANT to like what they're doing anymore, but once the LX cars were intro'd, all hell just broke loose and no one seems to have any focus on anything positive. Some styling is decent and still cool, others are garish or horribly cobbled together like barn cars. Couple that with horrid interiors and numerous other issues, and it's just not a positive light ahead, or right now.

It looks like it's trying too hard to be different, sporty and affordable.  It doesn't patch all three together into one good package.

226454[/snapback]

a 2002 grand am all of a sudden looks like an Audi........

you know DCX shafted mitsubishi and now it looks like mercedes is gonna do the same bichslap to chrysler.

IMO it was a total mistake to abandon the cab forward cars in lieu of this. It was also a mistake to spurn the galant twin for this.

chrysler went from zero to crap in about 5 years time under mercedes. So much for the foreign way of business.

Edited by regfootball

It'll be nothing short of a miracle if this mess (and it's equally horrid Chrysler sibling) can sustain DCX for the next 5 years.  These are the cars they expect to compete in the midsize market?

Mark my words, DCX is headed for some really tough times.

226503[/snapback]

Headed? They're already there. Future programs being cut left and right.

226519[/snapback]

No... it's only the beginning... the worst is yet to come.

Chrysler did a good job designing the LX cars, the Pacifica, and the Crossfire, but everything since then has been progressively getting worse. The PT was like they stuck it in a microwave and warmed it up a little (leftovers that don't taste as good as when it was fresh), Jeep is a mess, Sebring/Avenger disaster, the ho-hum Aspen, the ugly Imperial concept...the Caliber is ok to me though. About the only bright spot is that Chrysler Nassau sketch...but knowing how they botched the beautiful Airflite into the horrid Sebring, I'm sure the production Nassau will have about the same good looks and charm of a Christmas fruitcake.

The designers at Chrysler must be on crack...that's the only explanation I have.

Edited by mustang84

Why is it that Chrysler (Or american divisions in general) have such a DIFFICULT time coming up with a competitive car for this segment?!?!?

They knocked the 300/Charger/Magnum/(Challenger) out of the park, yet this and the Sebring (although I like them both) seem like grounders at best...

Is it really that hard to come up with a legitimate competitor in this segment? I guess Chrysler will be the first great american automaker to truly completely fall. Didn't see that one coming.

As if this would be any surprise. Of course it looks cheap and unpleasant. It is, it will be. And on top of everything, although it's better looking than the Charger, its mecahnicals are technically inferior, and it's still ugly.

One would really think and hope that Chrysler could have learned from the success of the 300 and apply quality, affordability, and desirability into all of its products. Or perhaps they need to remember that all that is needed to sell something is a great look. Like the LH Mk I cars. I'm sure that the early LH's had a like, 100% failure rate of the dreadful Ultramatic transmission. Maybe they need Bernhard back, or to be in American hands again.

Who knows about what needs to be truly done, other than higher the old designers back, get new ones, or stop forcing the current ones into creating such hodge-podge crap pieces. Maybe get rid of the bean counters that are plundering Chrysler's lower market cars.

Where is the innovative Chrysler I love that is daring AND attractive?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Just a couple examples of Chrysler is actually capable of, but not allowed to, I'm sure. How could they possibly have better looking products than Mercedes-Benz?

As if this would be any surprise. Of course it looks cheap and unpleasant. It is, it will be. And on top of everything, although it's better looking than the Charger, its mecahnicals are technically inferior, and it's still ugly.

One would really think and hope that Chrysler could have learned from the success of the 300 and apply quality, affordability, and desirability into all of its products. Or perhaps they need to remember that all that is needed to sell something is a great look. Like the LH Mk I cars. I'm sure that the early LH's had a like, 100% failure rate of the dreadful Ultramatic transmission. Maybe they need Bernhard back, or to be in American hands again.

Who knows about what needs to be truly done, other than higher the old designers back, get new ones, or stop forcing the current ones into creating such hodge-podge crap pieces. Maybe get rid of the bean counters that are plundering Chrysler's lower market cars.

Where is the innovative Chrysler I love that is daring AND attractive?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Just a couple examples of Chrysler is actually capable of, but not allowed to, I'm sure. How could they possibly have better looking products than Mercedes-Benz?

226799[/snapback]

Why did they never build the Firepower? I loved that car.

I hear a lot about how beautiful the Airflight way...but I never really cared for it.

WHERE THE HELL DOES DCX GET THEIR MATERIALS FROM?!!?!!? (Seriously I wanna know where they get them from compared to GM, Ford and Toyota). Surely they can do better than this. Hell I could do better than this. I mean i know this is the base model, but if the base model doesnt look so hot, how would the higher models look?

I wish I had enough money to buy 51% of DCX stock to end this string of horrid designs and cheap materials.

Chrysler is an odd company; they make beautiful concepts and yet they produce vehicles such as Commander, Aspen, and Sebring (altho if you look at it long enough, looks pretty good). Although sometimes they do get it right, as of late no. I fear for the design of the NG Ram and Viper, and Magnum refresh.

The Chronos is a looker, but that 300C 'vert...amazing. Chrysler had some of the best-looking cars through the 90s (LHS, 300M, NS minivans, Prowler, assortments of concepts)...what happened to that?

I wish that I could buy up Chrysler as well.

Get better materials.

Produce more of those awesome concepts, and put them on the road. The hardware of other platforms is there, so it's feasible.

Firepower=Viper among others.

This is my main argument for why Chrysler needs to be All-American or at least its own, independent international company a la GM and Ford.

Well, on second thought, Chrysler may hook back up with Mitsubishi as soon as DaimlerBenz lets them off the leash. (For an example, Chrysler and Mitsubishi were woprking on the design of the first generation Eclipse, but eventually a Japanese design was chosen. Hell, the non-turbocharged cars featured Chrysler's 2.0L DOHC 16V I4 with 140 horsepower. But teeming up with Mitsu again can't be worse than what's happening now.

This looks like a car that's going to compete with Aveo, Yaris, Fit, and Versa, not Accord, Camry, Altima and Aura.

227037[/snapback]

I guess it will compete more with the lower price end of the midsize market---Malibu, Sonata, Optima...

Now that one looks pretty good....

I think a lot of the new DCX cars have been nice. I mean, I didn't like the refreshed Durango until I saw it in the flesh. I LOVE the Caliber and Nitro. The Compass isn't half bad, the new Wrangler is sweet and I actually like the new Sebring too (But I admit, I did like it better in pictures)

As for the concepts... The Chronos was fugly IMO and it was also a Bob Lutz era concept... You can tell as even now at GM his concepts carry the same "weighty-ness" and bulbous curves. The Airflight on the other hand; THAT was a sweet concept! The Hemi convertible and Firepower were also lookers.