Pontiac G8/Holden Commodore Confirmed

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Turbo is saying that this vehicle is not going to last for your typical 5 years on the market. This will be an '08 model, and somewhere around the 2011MY a new, North American designed and tested Pontiac Zeta will replace it. It is the next-gen GP/G8, but it's not going to be here for long.

As for the interior: I think it looks better than anything outside of Cadillac GM has to offer. I wouldn't be surprised if it's slightly driver-oriented, too. The GTO is, but it's hard to tell. Sit in the passenger seat and it becomes apparent.

95% of the people who mock the Bonneville's interior have never been inside one, much less driven one. Its more ergonomic than most of these 'international'-designed cars with perfectly symmetrical layouts. That's what I mean. Plus, foreign color combinations on midlevel vehicles leave nothing to be desired. This Holden is no exception. The orange is disgusting but the fact that its not broken up by an easily-placed chrome/black/whatever strip between the upper and lower dash is confounding. And, again, console window switches are junk. They signify cheapness and partsbinitis.

Why couldn't they sell 50k/year. Won't this be imported after the 2007 contract talks in September? Also, I see no reason why this won't sell 50k/year. It has a much nicer interior than the Charger, more power than the Hemi (except the SRT-8 ), and it looks better (IMO). This is basically a poor-man's last-gen BMW M5 or CTS-V.

Per GM down under they were stated at 30K and more if needed. I think they are making conservitive estimates and if demand is there they will find ways to build more. This will be a well optioned more expensive car than the GP and not a volume leader. The Bonneville was the kind of car this will be but have the RWD the Bonnie needed. FWD is a hard sell in a sedan over 35K.

I would bet they could add this car to the Camaro, Impala line if demand it that great and more are needed. No sense building them to sit on lots if gas goes up and V8 sales go down like the 300 did. This is just not a bet the house kind of car like the Malibu is going to be against the Camry and Accord.

I bet Volume is going to the Malibu and G6 replacment and the large RWD are not going to be expected to carry the volume role. The RWD are profit centers and are only expected to make money in a nich market. The RWD program is built more around making money vs just selling cars.

Just keep in mind with pricing this car it is going to be more than a G6 and Impala so 29K may be base at best and I expect we will see top line at or near 40K. If give a great interior like many of the new GM cars are getting and a 430HP+ engine it will still beat the 10-20K more BMW and Mercedes cars. But it is important to get the quality right.

I too find it funny how many complain about this car and none of us have really seen the G8 yet.

No matter if anyone likes it Pontiac is going to evolve and become the more Euro type car it always tried to convince us it was. This time they will get it right and not give us a 73 Grand Am or 85 STE that they claimed was a Mercedes compeditor. I love Pontiac but never bought that myself. This will be the kind of car John Deloean was always prevented from bringing to market.

Edited by hyperv6

It's not aggressive enough for me, at least the front end. Not even close. The Charger's exterior beats this anyday. That being said, if the window/door lock controls are moved to the door and the color combinations are a bit more muted the interior would be fine, IMO. GM must price this correctly in order for these cars to move. I hope the "it's a RWD, V8, fast car" mentality is thrown out the window when it the pricing is done. I would like to see a high end V6 but I understand the arguments against it.

Lose the GTP as that name is going bye bye the top line is GXP.

BMW can sell RWD and AWD sports sedans and no one complains that they need FWD.

People in this class prefer RWD and know how to use it and are not afraid of it.

I am typing this in a near white out in the Lake Erie Snow Belt and know what real winter driving is about with RWD.

At this point everyone here has little to say of what Pontiac is doing is right and no one here can give a opinion of what will work.

So at this point I say let Lutz do what he wants and let the chips fall as they may. He may not hit them all out but he is right more times than wrong.

If he does nothing Pontiac dies, if he fails Pontiac dies and if this works and sells and Pontiac wins.

I don't see anyone here with any better ideas that GM can afford.

I think may will be suprised how a this sedan will out sell the GTO. There really is little market over 30K for coupes with no trunk and hard to reach back seats. Under 30K it is a easier sell.

Sedans sell at any price in any flavor.

Better idea #1: Make Kappa what it originally was supposed to be....

And I know the whole spiel about how Kappa was an old platform with limited flexibility, etc.. yadda, yadda... But, when the production Solstice was debuted along with the newest Nomad concept and Saturn Curve it was supposed to be a revolutionary program that could've changed the face of the industry. Why not pick up that montra with the second generation of the platform? If Pontiac had a Solstice coupe (BTW, whatever happened to the supposed coupe?) to go along with the convertible as well as a small sedan on the same platform and maybe even a wagon, that alone would be more than enough to get the division moving in the appropriate direction. Especially with the solid success of the G6 and the obvious appeal of the Solstice.

Pontiac more than any other division needs STYLE to sell! Use the Solstice (which lead the kickoff of style at GM again) as an example. People who had never considered a Pontiac in their lives were able to look past the divisions supposed stigma because the car was 'just so damn pretty' The G8 will not sell on merit alone as many of you think, ESPECIALLY since it's from GM's "Excitement" "Performance" [insert extreme adjective here] division.

Pontiac simply does not have the appeal with this segment of the market for it to sell on merit alone. If it did, the GTO would've sold better. We, as enthusiasts KNOW what Pontiac is and how good the cars are, but it's a hard sell when you're trying to get people to trade out of their BMWs and Acuras (People who couldn't care less about what it meant to own a Pontiac 35 years ago)

On top of that, the people that would've bought the car (The same people that bought the GTO based on loyalty or on actually getting the facts instead of "image") will be perfectly satisfied with the probably more stylish and most likely cheaper Camaro and Impala.

The Commodore SS is as lame as they come in the styling department. There are and will be MANY more appealing offerings (Charger, 300, Mustang, Camaro, Challenger, CTS coupe) GM half-assed the Oldsmobile "revival" and we see where that got us, lets hope they don't cheap out on the Pontiac revival.

:idhitit:

For the record:

Posted Image

Man that hurts my eyes... :puke:

Hey bud watch it I own a 2005 Bonneville SLE with 12,500 miles on it and just adore my car, even its interior. It is a little tighter than my Impala's but I love the air-ducts and the design of the interior its around the driver. Please save the dissing drive one and you will apperciate the car it has a very different personality about it. Thats why I LOVE mine, interior and all no matter how many buttons there are... What do you a Camri? *(J/K)*

It's not aggressive enough for me, at least the front end. Not even close. The Charger's exterior beats this anyday. That being said, if the window/door lock controls are moved to the door and the color combinations are a bit more muted the interior would be fine, IMO. GM must price this correctly in order for these cars to move. I hope the "it's a RWD, V8, fast car" mentality is thrown out the window when it the pricing is done. I would like to see a high end V6 but I understand the arguments against it.

Sci: Check with guionM who lives mainly over at camaroz28.com but posts here semi-frequently. He's seen the car in person in Australia, and according to him the shape is extremely sexy and aggressive in person - it's got the goods. I'll try to find his review of it for you, but trust me it's very positive.

EDIT: here it is: http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=483451

And some "real world" pics of it as well: http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=476049

We need this car over here as a Pontiac. Even if there is not much change in the design.

Some people prefer driving a car with understated design, but lots of power.

For that matter even if all they changed was the emblem in th middle of the grill, I would still want to buy it.

I have an idea!

Pontiac could re engineer it to be a 14 ton BOF car with a 7 million cubic inch, 20 barrel, 18 carb, inline 16, that makes 17 horsepower. Throw in solid axles front and back with leaf spring suspension, a 12 foot hammer-shaped spoiler, 7 inch wheels in front, and 39 inch wheels in back. Oh and how about digging out a steering wheel from the 80's and matching switchgear, all applied to a dash that was thrown up on and then a torch was taken to it to partially melt it. Top the whole package off with 2.3 acres of body cladding and make it 7 feet wide and 14 feet long...oh and add 19 scoops and a grill the size of a Dodge Caliber!

Or...

We could ignore all the strange, old-tech, and sometimes stupid ideas I've seen on this thread (and around the forums), and import this handsome car with a normal-sized Pontiac grill, and call it a day (and a car that doesn't suck).

Edited by Dodgefan

Better idea #1: Make Kappa what it originally was supposed to be....

And I know the whole spiel about how Kappa was an old platform with limited flexibility, etc.. yadda, yadda... But, when the production Solstice was debuted along with the newest Nomad concept and Saturn Curve it was supposed to be a revolutionary program that could've changed the face of the industry. Why not pick up that montra with the second generation of the platform? If Pontiac had a Solstice coupe (BTW, whatever happened to the supposed coupe?) to go along with the convertible as well as a small sedan on the same platform and maybe even a wagon, that alone would be more than enough to get the division moving in the appropriate direction. Especially with the solid success of the G6 and the obvious appeal of the Solstice.

Pontiac more than any other division needs STYLE to sell! Use the Solstice (which lead the kickoff of style at GM again) as an example. People who had never considered a Pontiac in their lives were able to look past the divisions supposed stigma because the car was 'just so damn pretty' The G8 will not sell on merit alone as many of you think, ESPECIALLY since it's from GM's "Excitement" "Performance" [insert extreme adjective here] division.

Pontiac simply does not have the appeal with this segment of the market for it to sell on merit alone. If it did, the GTO would've sold better. We, as enthusiasts KNOW what Pontiac is and how good the cars are, but it's a hard sell when you're trying to get people to trade out of their BMWs and Acuras (People who couldn't care less about what it meant to own a Pontiac 35 years ago)

On top of that, the people that would've bought the car (The same people that bought the GTO based on loyalty or on actually getting the facts instead of "image") will be perfectly satisfied with the probably more stylish and most likely cheaper Camaro and Impala.

The Commodore SS is as lame as they come in the styling department. There are and will be MANY more appealing offerings (Charger, 300, Mustang, Camaro, Challenger, CTS coupe) GM half-assed the Oldsmobile "revival" and we see where that got us, lets hope they don't cheap out on the Pontiac revival.

First off the Coupe Solstice will arrive when needed. Yearly inexpensive changes over the next few years are key to the Kappa and one will include the coupe. You don't martket all your cards on the first hand in the low volume 2 seater market, you need to give them a reason to com back in a year or two. I have a gut feeling the next Kappa if approved will also supply a RWD platform that will replace the G6.

Lets face it the G6 compared the Aura or even the new Malibu is not the stylish tool that Pontiac needs. It really looks like a large Neon in sedan form.

Also don't get too bent on the Holden as it is not as bad as you make it as I suspect we will see new sheet metal and interior to go with this car. Lutz is not a fool and would have had it for the GTO if he had the money. The money spent on the GTO to bring it here was begged borrowed ands stolen from anywhere they could get it and GM spent so little bringin it is the low sales was never an issue. The GTO did its job of giving Pontiac Performance it really did not hove outside a Supercharged GP that other sedans were catching up to in power fast.

Olds was long gone before the Half A$$ed effort you reply too. When they named several car lines Cutlass the damages was already done.

Pontiac needs to place this car at a higher level and can afford to with it being lower volume. It has to offer things that can't be found in the Impala but not out do the CTS. The fact is Pontiac need to be a better optioned car and at a little higher price.

GM I suspect will market Pontiac as they are GMC. They will give you a near Caddy experience at a little higher price than Chevy.

It is going to be hard enough to sell Pontiac to someone who would buy a Chevy but they really need to find what will pull in people who would buy the performance cars form Lexus, low end Audi, low end BMW, low end Mercedes. This will be tough to over come the precieved quality of Pontiac's past [80-90]. Don't get me wrong I still own a 80's Pontiac but many of the rusted out 6000, Grand Am's and blown up Sunbird turbo's are still on the mind of many import buyers and GM needs to change that preception.

With Buick, Pontiac and GMC in one dealer they all will be lower volume higher quality and higher priced cars. Read this as no fleet sales and fewer basic cars. The goal is to make more profit per unit. It really does not matter if you sell 100K cars and don't make any money when you can sell better optioned car at 50K and make money. GM is not making cars to just put smiles on faces they need to make a buck.

Good styling is important to any car. We here demand a little more than the general public as you will notice. Pontiac needs to refrain from the Charger different but ugly styling and find a new trend to move too. They have done this in the past like in 1963 with the GP or 68 GTO. Pontiavc need to refrain from cheap gimics they have resorted too in the past and not over complicate the cars design or interior. More is not always better.

But in all this thread I think in the end is going to be a lot to do over nothing.

Commodore is a boring car overall, with sporty parts attached, like the fascias, wheels, and ridiculous wing. It appears dated to me, uninspired. I hope Uncle Bob doesn't forget the outcry that accompanied the intro of the excellent but... bland GTO. Everything we've seen this show season from GM has reinforced the fact that GM's design mojo is back in full force. To import this car and merely change the badging will further weaken Pontiac as a brand. I am not talking about adding 500 pounds of cladding, that would surely be suicide. I am talking about something with some verve, sensuality and dynamicism built into the sheetmetal... adjectives that do not describe the uber bland Commodore.

And they need 3.6L V6 versions in addition to the V8s... and optional manual transmissions in all versions.

Edited by ocnblu

Another idea!

Have Chery design and engineer a Pontiac G8. It'll way 5,00 lbs and have a 1.2 4 banger with 57 horsepower, FWD, lots of plastic cladding, ugly interior, giant wing, 13 inch wheels, leaf springs, solid axles, and most of all ugly (hey that fits with teh current lineup for the most part). :P

Turbo is saying that this vehicle is not going to last for your typical 5 years on the market. This will be an '08 model, and somewhere around the 2011MY a new, North American designed and tested Pontiac Zeta will replace it. It is the next-gen GP/G8, but it's not going to be here for long.

Okay, that makes more sense. That said, while that may be the plan now, I would anticipate it will end up being here longer than planned. This is GM we're talking about.

I hope they're not doing a badge job similar in vein to the previous GTO, if so, it appears GMNA has learned nothing.

Design is the ultimate seller. While nicely executed and clean-looking (with a nice interior to boot), this vehicle is stylistically dated and derivative - just like the previous GTO. GM needs to take time to inject some life into this design to make it a real Pontiac.

I agree-this Commodore looks very similar to the last one, much in the similar (and not at all good) vain of the 1997-2005 Malibu/Classic and 2004-07 Malibu. On the plus side, Pontiac, let alone anyone, will have the first mid-sized, rear-drive sedan since the 1986 Bonneville (and 1987 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme). Its just too bad its a badge job-hopefully it will be a little more convincing.

*Better interior color combos.

*Window switches are garbage. Relocate them to the door where they belong.

*Color-matched trim needs to flow onto the door panels. They look plain and empty without it.

I know this is a foreign-market car and alot of my gripes have to do with it being easy-adaptable to the two markets where its mainly sold, but I for one would like to see a more dynamic, driver-oriented cockpit. In fact, all Pontiacs should have controls that wrap around the driver's seat (something very, very few cars do anymore) to give it that controlled, purposeful feel. Its also a boon for ergonomics. Even the current Grand Prix looks more driver-oriented and sporty than this dash due to its cant, especially if you take away the drilled pedals and scarring color scheme.

I like the candid reply.

i do think that other versions of the commodore and stateman have better interior trim and color combos. and yes, the window swtiches are in a dumb spot. I'm pretty sure they would address at least the color and trim issues before bringing it to the states. I think it would turn out lots better than this extreme picture example.

Even if its not a swooping cockpit ala, Aurora, Bonne or my old tbird, its generally seems a little more purposeful than say, an accord.

Edited by regfootball

oh man, you really didn't say that, did you?

95% of the people who mock the Bonneville's interior have never been inside one, much less driven one. Its more ergonomic than most of these 'international'-designed cars with perfectly symmetrical layouts. That's what I mean. Plus, foreign color combinations on midlevel vehicles leave nothing to be desired. This Holden is no exception. The orange is disgusting but the fact that its not broken up by an easily-placed chrome/black/whatever strip between the upper and lower dash is confounding. And, again, console window switches are junk. They signify cheapness and partsbinitis.

Posted Image

I dunno, this looks pretty damn sexy and purposeful to me.

Edited by regfootball

Um is this car smaller than the G6 or does it just look shorter in the pictures?

The Commodore looks shorter because it is taller and wider than the G6. Legroom is not much different, but it offers much better shoulder and hip room than either the G6 or Grand Prix. The 300 and Charger bracket the Grand Prix in length, but are as wide as the Commodore and offer even more rear legroom. I would expect a target price of $30-35K, similar to a Charger R/T or 300C, depending on whether this becomes an extension of the G6 range/GP GXP replacement ($30K), or a model above the G6 (equivalent to a Maxima/300), in which case a 3.6 V6 could squeeze in at around $29-30K. I would expect the latter.

Model										Headroom		   Legroom			 Shoulder room	   Hip Room
   Wheelbase  Length	 Width	 Height	Front	 Rear	 Front	 Rear	  Front	 Rear	  Front	 Rear
G6 2852 112.3 4802 189.1 1749 68.9 1450 57.1 1003 39.5 923 36.3 1073 42.2  955 37.6 1407 55.4 1366 53.8 1338 52.7 1318 51.9
VE 2915 114.8 4894 192.7 1899 74.8 1476 58.1  985 38.8 965 38.0 1071 42.2 1001 39.4 1501 59.1 1499 59.0 1439 56.7 1472 58.0
GP 2807 110.5 5038 198.3 1875 73.8 1420 55.9  978 38.5 928 36.5 1076 42.4  926 36.5 1472 58.0 1410 55.5 1388 54.6 1360 53.5
FYI the Grand Prix is dead for one big reason—aside from the availability of a cheap 4-cyl G6, and an expensive V8 GP, the GP actually sells for less than a G6. Dump the GP and you'll see sales of the G6 increase noticably, even if they lose some sales to other brands. Your average GTP buyer will look at a new Maxima and go white at the price. Edited by thegriffon

I agree with Ocn's post on all points.

But, I will say the Commodore looks hot in black.

Posted Image

That is actually quite sexy.

:idhitit: Hoky crap that's hot!

Posted Image

I dunno, this looks pretty damn sexy and purposeful to me.

That is pretty damn sexy. Cool how the hand brake integrate with the center console a la Saab 9-3.

Edited by Dodgefan

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. A lot of people I've talked to love the look, myself included.

My roommate, who said he wouldn't buy another GM when he got his Mazda 6 sport a couple of years ago seems to have had his mind changed by this car and said he'll probably get it when the lease on his 6 is out.

Lets face it the G6 compared the Aura or even the new Malibu is not the stylish tool that Pontiac needs. It really looks like a large Neon in sedan form.

Both are unfair comparisons. Yes, they are sold alongside each other right, but the Aura and the new Malibu are both the second iteration of Epsilon within the respective brands. G6 needs to be redesigned.

Sci: Check with guionM who lives mainly over at camaroz28.com but posts here semi-frequently. He's seen the car in person in Australia, and according to him the shape is extremely sexy and aggressive in person - it's got the goods. I'll try to find his review of it for you, but trust me it's very positive.

EDIT: here it is: http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=483451

And some "real world" pics of it as well: http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=476049

Wow! The real world pics do make the car look a lot better!

I don't get what all the fuss is about? I love the Commodore SS as is (well, like Fly, I think the interior could be improved a bit). Sure it's not as racy or sumptuous as other Pontiacs, but it sure beats the hell out of the G6. It's sexy. In any color. As noted, with minor changes this will make more of a Pontiac than some of you might think.

I'm torn. I like the design, but I don't think it could pass well enough as a Pontiac. Like the greenhouse, esp. from the sides...looks too much like it is from a current-gen Malibu to be a Pontiac. The rear, as a previous poster stated, looks a little too common-place; however, I believe it would work well enough as it is. The front needs more work, also. I suppose it depends on what the nose of the next GTO looks like, but I'd like them to draw some more specific cues from that (not a transplant, mind you). I'm under the impression that the next GTO is supposed to be a little more angular-twin-port and such.

As far as the interior...

Posted Image

...move the window switches, and it's good.

The Commodore is a prettty sharp looking car and the interior puts any current Pontiac to shame. Although it is not as aggressive looking as I would like, I could definatley see myself in this car down the road. It is lightyears ahead of the current gaudy and outdated Grand Prix.

I'm torn. I like the design, but I don't think it could pass well enough as a Pontiac. Like the greenhouse, esp. from the sides...looks too much like it is from a current-gen Malibu to be a Pontiac. The rear, as a previous poster stated, looks a little too common-place; however, I believe it would work well enough as it is. The front needs more work, also. I suppose it depends on what the nose of the next GTO looks like, but I'd like them to draw some more specific cues from that (not a transplant, mind you). I'm under the impression that the next GTO is supposed to be a little more angular-twin-port and such.

As far as the interior...

Posted Image

...move the window switches, and it's good.

if they bring me this car, with the interior as shown in the picture, and with all wheel drive and the 300hp v6, then I can live with the window swtiches where they are....I can be flexible that way :)

Oh $#!% Handles on the center console. Brilliant! :cheers:

listen if my friend can generate the need for oh Sh!t handles in his 180hp tired Monte Carlo SS, i think that car should have as many as possible!...

once his gf reached up for a handle (going a little too fast, maybe?) and almost grabbed the T-Top release..... that could have ended badly

The Commodore is a prettty sharp looking car and the interior puts any current Pontiac to shame. Although it is not as aggressive looking as I would like, I could definatley see myself in this car down the road. It is lightyears ahead of the current gaudy and outdated Grand Prix.

You understand that the picture embedded in your post is of a model that went out of production in early 2003, don't you?

You understand that the picture embedded in your post is of a model that went out of production in early 2003, don't you?

You understand that the picture embedded in his post is actually his "signature" of the 2001 Grand Prix he owns, don't you?

:idhitit: Hoky crap that's hot!

That is pretty damn sexy. Cool how the hand brkje integrate with the center console a la Saab 9-3.

Oh man, where have you been all my life?! I hope the styling is more aggressive, but even if it isnt I will be happy to finally see these cars over here. There will definitely be one in my driveway. I got a garage slot for one just waiting.

I tried to include the pics in his post, but it didnt work. It was the pic of the black SS and the black leather interior. Still learnin this whole bulletin board stuff. Sorry.

Edited by K.C.

Oh man, where have you been all my life?! I hope the styling is more aggressive, but even if it isnt I will be happy to finally see these cars over here. There will definitely be one in my driveway. I got a garage slot for one just waiting.

I tried to include the pics in his post, but it didnt work. It was the pic of the black SS and the black leather interior. Still learnin this whole bulletin board stuff. Sorry.

Me or the car? :huh:

Anyway, when you hit reply button it should automatically have the image source in it still, but if it doesn't do this:

Right Click on the image. Select Copy Image Location (if on Firefox), then paste it into the text window. Then highlight it sand press the "Insert Image button" to add image tags. It should look like this:

Posted Image

Hope that helps!

The interior of the Commodore is beautiful and one of the best GM is producing. It would suit Pontiac beyond perfectly in the mid to high 20s that has been projected. I wish the car would come as is. Keep the current grille unless you can make something that looksbetter; don't try to make something look like a Pontiac and then end up ruining the fluidity of the front end that is there now.

I believe that I read in the Detroit Free Press today that this will replace the Grand Prix. I really hope the styling is altered much from just a nose and tail job, though. But please, no G6 GXP nose. Yuck!

I would have rather seen a from-scratch effort, rather than another Australian import. I was just at the PMD dealership this morning getting my car serviced (they work on other GM brands) and was looking at GTOs in the showroom. Good, but not great.

It almost seems like we are running out of ideas, but then, are we? In the same showroom was a wonderfully executed GMC Acadia...tasteful exterior and beautiful dashboard/cabin...come on, get the creative juices going and give us a compelling all-American Bonneville replacement on Zeta that's right for the times.

I would have rather seen a from-scratch effort, rather than another Australian import. I was just at the PMD dealership this morning getting my car serviced (they work on other GM brands) and was looking at GTOs in the showroom. Good, but not great.

It almost seems like we are running out of ideas, but then, are we? In the same showroom was a wonderfully executed GMC Acadia...tasteful exterior and beautiful dashboard/cabin...come on, get the creative juices going and give us a compelling all-American Bonneville replacement on Zeta that's right for the times.

GM didn't the have $$$ or time to develop a car like the commodore for the NA separately.