GENEVA: Opel GTC Concept

My educated guess: This is really Epsilon II but with rear-wheel-drive AWD. Rear-biased AWD was already planned for the platform, but I suppose they wanted to show it off in this concept in full RWD mode.

It's goregous. I thought it was Epsilon based, and basically a cousin to the G6 coupe. But if it's RWD, I guess it's based on the shortened Zeta platform that the next Camaro's riding on... very cool. Can't help but wonder though, such a wonderful and diverse platform could probably house a Velite.

Just turn saturn into opel.

Thats stunning, i guess every GM brand needs their zeta coupe (hopefully caddy next).

I like this one a lot, its the most modern. It reminds me of the new nissan skyline but I prefer this to that anyday.

Hello, you beautiful Insignia you! Oh wait.. it's just a concept. :AH-HA_wink:

This is very promising for the future of Opel design. It makes the new Mondeo look outdated. Now, whether or not the production version of this car actually happens, as is, remains to be seen, but I doubt Opel will debut a new and very production ready vehicle and not build it. That's GMNA's job.

Can't wait for this to hit our shores.

Beautifully-styled concept, of Infiniti G35/BMW 6-Series fame. But it is kind of derivative, even moreso the GTC name, which we've seen on let's see: the 2006 Antara GTC concept, Opel's SS-type performance trim, the Astra GTC...

A strake is a stripe or streak of something, especially used to refer to one of a series of parallel lines, such as the stripes made by the planking on the side of a wooden boat, or the strakes on the side air intake of a testarossa, or across the front air ducts or grilles of many cars.

i love it! yes the fron end isn't conventional but that's exactly why i like it. who needs a car that looks like everyother car on the road.

this better come here as the next saturn aura - or a refresh. the aura NEEDS this interior! it also shows that gm can build nice interiors. now they just need to put them into production!

Quite disappointing considering some previous Opel concepts.

A derivative shape & style with clutter-inducing intakes abound to show some "risk-taking." Can't hide the fact that this concept evokes current Infiniti G35 & brings nothing new to the table.

Stance isn't that great - and this is a concept!

Interior is very production ready...promising.

Front end, ugly.

Profile, Nissan Altima Coupe

Rear, Gorgeous.

Interior, amazing.

Nice, but really needs work and TLC.

The faux brake duct?

Yeah, that's what I meant.

A strake is a stripe or streak of something, especially used to refer to one of a series of parallel lines, such as the stripes made by the planking on the side of a wooden boat, or the strakes on the side air intake of a testarossa, or across the front air ducts or grilles of many cars.

Ah, ok. Thanks for the lesson.

That's one sexy car. I love the rims, the center blackout makes it appear to have a "floating" effect. Sweet. And the interior, with the red stripe on the seats, continuing onto the steering wheel rim, a nice marker for the driver. Yes, it does have FWD proportions. If GM brings this to production as an AURA coupe, they will go even further toward making Saturn a real aspirational brand. With ASTRA coming online, they'll already be there. This thing would be some sweet icing on the cake.

Beautifully-styled concept, of Infiniti G35/BMW 6-Series fame. But it is kind of derivative, even moreso the GTC name, which we've seen on let's see: the 2006 Antara GTC concept, Opel's SS-type performance trim, the Astra GTC...

Opel's performance trim is OPC.

GTC is simply GT Coupe. The Vectra fastback is the GTS, the 3-door Astra the GTC. You can expect this to be the —a GTC in production form. OPC is the performance arm, a JV with Zender, the equivalent of Vauxhall's VXR and Holden's HSV. The semi-official tuner is Irmscher.

It's symptomatic of the much tighter European price differences, and the higher premium Peugeot asks for the coupe.

For a segment comparison (sans prices):

E-segment coupés	   Wheelbase	Length	   Width	   Height	  Front track Rear track
Honda Accord Coupé	 2670  105.1  4770  187.8  1810  71.3  1415  55.7  1552  61.1  1555  61.2
Jaguar XK-Series	   2752  108.3  4791  188.6  1892  74.5  1322  52.0
Pontiac G6 Coupé	   2852  112.3  4802  189.1  1749  68.9  1450  57.1  1519  59.8  1534  60.4
Peugeot 407 Coupé	  2725  107.3  4815  189.6  1868  73.5  1400  55.1			  1575  62.0
BMW 6er-reihe		  2780  109.4  4820  189.8  1855  73.0  1373  54.1  1558  61.3  1596  62.8
Pontiac GTO			2789  109.8  4821  189.8  1841  72.5  1397  55.0  
Opel GTC Concept	   2737  107.8  4830  190.2  1867  73.5  1432  56.4  1627  64.1  1629  64.1
Toyota Camry Solara	2720  107.1  4892  192.6  1815  71.5  1425  56.1
Chrysler Sebring	   2692  106.0  4921  193.7  1763  69.4  1398  55.0  1529  60.2  1529  60.2
Chevrolet Monte Carlo  2807  110.5  4995  196.7  1851  72.9  1418  55.8  1586  62.4  1562  61.5
Edited by thegriffon

Full Press Release:

Opel GTC Concept Heralds New Design Era for the Brand

* Dynamic and unexpected: New interior and exterior design language

* Striking and elegant: Lighting concepts provide new signature style

* Flexible and innovative: From four to two-seater at touch of a button with “Flex4”

* Intelligent and variable: Four-wheel drive for optimum traction in all driving situations

Rüsselsheim/Geneva — The world premiere of the GTC Concept (Gran Turismo Coupé) at the 77th Geneva Motor Show gives an insight into how dynamic and refreshing Opel's new design language will look in the future. “This concept car demonstrates the new interpretation of the Opel brand,” explains Alain Visser, Executive Director, European Opel Marketing. “The GTC Concept embodies the confident, emotional direction we're taking with Opel. Its exciting lines combined with its high driving dynamics and interior flexibility reflect what the Opel brand trademark characteristics will be in the future.” Even a new, more refined brand emblem, with the Opel name proudly embossed into the Blitz ring, is suggested. more … (including GTC video clip)

Has this been posted yet?

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2007/autos/...y.geneva/4.html

Posted Image

Opel cars are sold in the U.S. with the Saturn badge.

A car like this could come to the U.S. as a next-

generation Saturn Aura.

Opel GTC concept

Posted by Michelle Krebs, AutoObserver.com

Imagine a Saturn badge on the Opel GTC concept car and you've got a pretty good idea of what the next-generation Saturn Aura looks like. The GTC, unveiled by General Motors at the Geneva Motor Show, is nearly identical to the upcoming production version of the European-sold Opel Vectra.

The current Vectra serves as the basis for Saturn's Aura, introduced only last fall and already crowned as the winner of the 2007 North American Car of the Year by journalists. Similarly, the next Aura will be based on the next Vectra since GM has closely aligned the two divisions.

Saturn unveiled its new Astra small car at the Chicago Auto Show last month; it sprang from the Opel of the same name. Saturn's upcoming Vue is patterned after the Opel Antara crossover. And the soon-to-go-on-sale Opel GT in Europe is based on the Saturn Sky (and Pontiac Solstice).

-RBB