Hyundai said to release new BH to compete against luxury cars

Clownzilla

From this article, it seems that it is going to release the BH under the Hyundai name. Now, I think Hyundai's are decent vehicles, but they are in no position yet (in brand image or quality) to fight against luxury vehicles. I believe they will eventually get there, but they need to give it more time. Anyway, here is a link to the article:

http://money.cnn.com/2007/03/19/news/inter...sion=2007031907

It'll have a V8... and it sounds like it will be rear-wheel drive. It'll likely be a decent price too.

I doubt it'll be wise to write this bad-boy off just yet.

Agreed.

They've proven adept at reinventing themselves. I could imagine this thing coming in at a very reasonable (sub-$30k) price and finding enough takers to justify the effort.

It'll have a V8... and it sounds like it will be rear-wheel drive. It'll likely be a decent price too.

I doubt it'll be wise to write this bad-boy off just yet.

Ya, anyone writing them off so far has been proven wrong. Other car makers doing so, do so at thier own peril I'd say.

I for one, and bet there are others, could not give a rat's a_s about the badge. Give me near lux with a RWD V8 for less than 300C cash, with a great warrantee, and already now solid quality rep., and I am there.

Note they will be in the RWD v8 Sedan sector before Chevy and Ford. Thier enemy isn't Toyota or Honda anymore, its these guys.

the azera has been a flop. what makes them think their lux car effort will get rewarded?

What's interesting is, I've seen about the equal amount of Azeras on the road as LaCrosses... although I'd have to say in the past month or two, I'm starting to see more LaCrosses and Lucernes on the road.

I would watch out for these guys, if anyone was to top Toyota it will be this smaller Korean giant. I wouldn't write it off either the Azera proved how good they could build a Buick, and they did a better job than Toyota and at a better price point than both the Avalon and Lucerne. The fuel economy blows tho, no I don't like near as much as the organically styled Lucerne but it was an excellent atempt! Seriously GM needs to watch out and price the G8 right! I don't think Hyundai is ready for this yet, having said that if they put in around 30-33K they might sell. Then again they might not be ready to move that FAR up market. The Azera might have been a push. Once they get bigger it would be an even safer bet and better idea. Guess who is biting at Toyota's heals? Hyundai not Honda.

Ya, anyone writing them off so far has been proven wrong. Other car makers doing so, do so at thier own peril I'd say.

I for one, and bet there are others, could not give a rat's a_s about the badge. Give me near lux with a RWD V8 for less than 300C cash, with a great warrantee, and already now solid quality rep., and I am there.

Note they will be in the RWD v8 Sedan sector before Chevy and Ford. Thier enemy isn't Toyota or Honda anymore, its these guys.

How can they have a "solid quality rep"? They have really only been around for like 15 years, and for about 10 of those years they have been building total crap!

How can they have a "solid quality rep"? They have really only been around for like 15 years, and for about 10 of those years they have been building total crap!

Like you didn't just set yourself up for someone to say something about the quality of DCX vehicles. But I won't be the one to make any of "those" comments...

Like someone said above, it all comes down to what it's going to look like. I don't care if it's got RWD, AWD, 4WD, or even *gasp* FWD. If it looks like crap I'm not going to want to drive it everyday.

It won't be called Hyundai. It will have some luxurious American sounding name like Lexiniti, and stupid consumers won't even know who makes it.

Weren't they floating the name 'Genesis' around? The name Genesis sounds pretty cool, and most things that have that name on them tend to be awesome... like, the 'Genesis' section of the Old Testament... or the 'Sega Genesis!'

Like you didn't just set yourself up for someone to say something about the quality of DCX vehicles. But I won't be the one to make any of "those" comments...

So... anyone sit in a Jeep Compass lately? :P

Weren't they floating the name 'Genesis' around? The name Genesis sounds pretty cool, and most things that have that name on them tend to be awesome... like, the 'Genesis' section of the Old Testament... or the 'Sega Genesis!'

So... anyone sit in a Jeep Compass lately? :P

The one and only Genesis:

Posted Image

:lol:

What does the Compass' crappy interior material composition have to do with vehicle quality? Most reviewers like the Compass except for the graining on the plastic, and others don't like the looks.

Posted Image

What does the Compass' crappy interior material composition have to do with vehicle quality? Most reviewers like the Compass except for the graining on the plastic, and others don't like the looks.

I dunno. Just felt like being an asshole. :D

Jesus. I don't see any enthusiast who is dead f-ing set on having RWD rushing out to part with their $$$$ for a Hyundai. That's like saying you want to date a hot blonde cheerleader and then going to the trailer park for a 400 pound fleshy fattie just because she's blonde and willing.

This is just another reason why the Buick 'dealers' should GFT and STFU and support Buick importing the Holden Stateman as a Buick. I can't see any effort for this sort of car turning out anything besides cheesy for Hyundai. i would try to smuggle a statesman into this country before I would buy a cheesy ugly frail Korean RWD car that is trying to be something its not.

Statesman or Hyundai? Statesman or Hyundai?

Jesus. I don't see any enthusiast who is dead f-ing set on having RWD rushing out to part with their $$$$ for a Hyundai. That's like saying you want to date a hot blonde cheerleader and then going to the trailer park for a 400 pound fleshy fattie just because she's blonde and willing.

This is just another reason why the Buick 'dealers' should GFT and STFU and support Buick importing the Holden Stateman as a Buick. I can't see any effort for this sort of car turning out anything besides cheesy for Hyundai. i would try to smuggle a statesman into this country before I would buy a cheesy ugly frail Korean RWD car that is trying to be something its not.

Statesman or Hyundai? Statesman or Hyundai?

You must have owned an '85 Excel and never got over it. :AH-HA_wink:

Posted Image

Actually, if I am not mistaken, Peter Gabriel was part of Genesis once, so that wouldn't really be the "one and only" Genesis, techically, a la Nissan, it's Genesis 2.0 :P

That's because Ford's rear drive V8 sedan is an outclassed joke these days, a living relic hanging on only for police fleets and taxi companies.

If this new Hyundai looks as good or better than the concept that was recently previewed, and the price is right, they are ones to watch out for.

Posted Image

HYUNDAI GENESIS PREMIUM SPORTS SEDAN : SPECIFICATIONS

* Configuration: Front engine rear-wheel-drive sports sedan

* Wheelbase: 2935 mm / 115.6 inches

* Overall length: 5005 mm / 197.0 inches

* Overall width: 1863 mm / 73.3 inches

* Overall height: 1490 mm / 58.7 inches

* Track, f/r: 1575 mm / 62.0 inches, 1580 mm / 62.2 inches

* Wheels: 20” multi-spoke alloy

* Engine type: V8

* Estimated max power: Well over 300HP (+223kW)

* Estimated max torque: Over 300 lb. ft. (+407Nm)

* Displacement: 4,627 cc

* Block material: High pressure die casting aluminium block

* Cylinder head material: Aluminium

* Valvetrain: Dual Over Head Camshafts (DOHC) per bank

* Valve timing: Continuously variable

* Variable induction system

* Fuel delivery: Multi-port fuel injection

* Bore & stroke: 92 x 87

* Estimated 0-60 mph (96km/h): well under 6.0 seconds

* Top speed: 130 mph (209km/h) (restricted)

* Recommended fuel: Unleaded petrol.

* Transmission type: ZF 6-speed automatic with SHIFTRONIC manual control

* Suspension: Front: multi-link (5-link) / Rear multi-link (5-link).

* Stabilizer bar (front/rear): 26 mm/18 mm

* Weight distribution front to rear: 53:47

* Brakes: Power-assisted 4-wheel disc with ABS,EBD & BA.

* Front brake diameter (mm / in): 320 / 12.6 ventilated disc

* Rear brake diameter (mm / in): 315 / 12.4 solid disc

* Steering type: Speed-sensing rack-and-pinion

* Steering ratio: 14.86

more details

Man oh man!!! I want one! Looks like the new lexus LS for probably half the cash :)

This car is going to rock!

It certainly sounds impressive on paper... all the right buzzwords--DOHC, RWD, 6-spd, IRS, etc. It will be interesting to see if Hyundai can pull it off. I'm curious about the engine...

You must have owned an '85 Excel and never got over it. :AH-HA_wink:

hehe...I owned an XCL or however it was spelled and I never got over it! It barely turned over 100,000 miles in 1995 and the motor blew. When I took it too a mechanic for a rebuild, he laughed and said to buy a new car. That's when we bought our 95 Saturn which we put on 177,000 miles in five years before I crashed it in a solo incident. The Saturn was a great little runabout town car.

hehe...I owned an XCL or however it was spelled and I never got over it! It barely turned over 100,000 miles in 1995 and the motor blew. When I took it too a mechanic for a rebuild, he laughed and said to buy a new car. That's when we bought our 95 Saturn which we put on 177,000 miles in five years before I crashed it in a solo incident. The Saturn was a great little runabout town car.

I guess it works both ways. I had a 1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme that blew the motor at 130,000 miles. It was constantly in the shop for brake problems, cheap switchgear, and broken handles. When it blew, my mechanic told me the same thing.

Other than the grill, I think it actually looks pretty good. Completely unoriginal, but good.

Motor Trend said the grill is subject to change on release of the Concept Genesis in their latest issue.

I guess it works both ways. I had a 1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme that blew the motor at 130,000 miles. It was constantly in the shop for brake problems, cheap switchgear, and broken handles. When it blew, my mechanic told me the same thing.

Motor Trend said the grill is subject to change on release of the Concept Genesis in their latest issue.

I actually like the grill...but as it is it seems too much like a knockoff of the Camry's front end (albeit better than the Camry's front end), so maybe a grill change (but not the actually shape) would help...depends on how well they do it.

did you never change the timing belt?

i just done reading MT's article on this car. Several pages. Glowing. Like hyundai are the ones giving the bjobs to angus and bunch now, they must be writing bigger checks than toyota now, .....anyways....

after initially thinking the styling is ok, I still kind of do, in no way is it original, I think its even more derivitive than I did at first. and its not perfect.

So, they get no design points from me. Its like a BMW and Infiniti mated and there a hint of Lexus in the front also.

Its kind of got that 'generic luxury car' look. As far as imitation is, they've done a fine job of that.

30k for the v6. 35k+ for the v8.

What bothered me about the article is how 'GM' and toyota will be scared. this under the premise that this car will undercut a Lexus and the GM Zetas. They also mentioned the 300 and Infinitis.

OK, first off. No big GM fan who is in the market for a RWD car will buy a Hyundai. GM fans who have pent up desire for a GM rwd car will not just buy a Korean imposter of a Japanese/German car. So again, MT has no clue (just like usual).

Second off, anyone who wants a Lexus, wants a LEXUS. Enough said. THAT said, if Hyundai impresses with the driving experience and the interior, it will bring new customers into the luxury v8 RWD fold. Keep in mind AWD was not mentioned, so the Hyundai loses out anyways because they do not compete with AWD.

I could see them taking a few sales from Infiniti, but not enough to make a diff.

German car fans and Germans and people with a Euro bias or dare I say ancestry will not stoop and buy a second tier Asian make.

All the style setters in the world who are not car fans but buy luxury cars will not buy this car either. They buy Euro cars. Audi, Merc., BMW only for the fact its Euro and contemporary and artsy. Hyundai will never get that status because we all perceive korea as third world.

Lastly, to say the Hyundai will cream the 300 and is a better value, UM, NO FW. By the time this car hits, with a measly 300hp v8......how will that compete with a HEMI? DCX is subsidizing their cars also and the 300 will have it beat in price and style and power. The loaded Hyundai will approach or pass the price of a Hemi 300 with AWD or RWD. Heck the discounted SRT will bring more value. And even then, Caddies get discounted enough so that you will be able to get one for the same price.

This car will do just ok, but not because its pulling away anyone from established brands. It will merely provide luxury attributes to some who aspire but could never have it before.

I can't wait for this thing to hit the rental lots.

I'd much rather see the Statesman here. And I am guessing so would many others who are car fans. this Hyundai is the car no one really wanted.

Edited by regfootball

i just done reading MT's article on this car. Several pages. Glowing. Like hyundai are the ones giving the bjobs to angus and bunch now, they must be writing bigger checks than toyota now, .....anyways....

after initially thinking the styling is ok, I still kind of do, in no way is it original, I think its even more derivitive than I did at first. and its not perfect.

So, they get no design points from me. Its like a BMW and Infiniti mated and there a hint of Lexus in the front also.

Its kind of got that 'generic luxury car' look. As far as imitation is, they've done a fine job of that.

30k for the v6. 35k+ for the v8.

What bothered me about the article is how 'GM' and toyota will be scared. this under the premise that this car will undercut a Lexus and the GM Zetas. They also mentioned the 300 and Infinitis.

OK, first off. No big GM fan who is in the market for a RWD car will buy a Hyundai. GM fans who have pent up desire for a GM rwd car will not just buy a Korean imposter of a Japanese/German car. So again, MT has no clue (just like usual).

Second off, anyone who wants a Lexus, wants a LEXUS. Enough said. THAT said, if Hyundai impresses with the driving experience and the interior, it will bring new customers into the luxury v8 RWD fold. Keep in mind AWD was not mentioned, so the Hyundai loses out anyways because they do not compete with AWD.

I could see them taking a few sales from Infiniti, but not enough to make a diff.

German car fans and Germans and people with a Euro bias or dare I say ancestry will not stoop and buy a second tier Asian make.

All the style setters in the world who are not car fans but buy luxury cars will not buy this car either. They buy Euro cars. Audi, Merc., BMW only for the fact its Euro and contemporary and artsy. Hyundai will never get that status because we all perceive korea as third world.

Lastly, to say the Hyundai will cream the 300 and is a better value, UM, NO FW. By the time this car hits, with a measly 300hp v8......how will that compete with a HEMI? DCX is subsidizing their cars also and the 300 will have it beat in price and style and power. The loaded Hyundai will approach or pass the price of a Hemi 300 with AWD or RWD. Heck the discounted SRT will bring more value. And even then, Caddies get discounted enough so that you will be able to get one for the same price.

This car will do just ok, but not because its pulling away anyone from established brands. It will merely provide luxury attributes to some who aspire but could never have it before.

I can't wait for this thing to hit the rental lots.

I'd much rather see the Statesman here. And I am guessing so would many others who are car fans. this Hyundai is the car no one really wanted.

The 300 is built like a brick in the wind. The proposed curb weight of the Concept Genesis is 3740 lbs, whereas a 300 with a hemi weighs 4046 lbs, and AWD makes it even heavier. Add that to the fact that it doesn't have a 6-speed transmission either. If you really read the article, you'd notice that it said the Concept Genesis would have over 300hp and over 300 ft lbs of torque and is capable of expanding up to a liter in displacement with little modification. The V6 is proposed to have close to 300hp. If you also look at what MT said, you would have noticed that they thought it would sell even if they charged $5k for it. The only known number is the sub-$30k starting number. How can you really post comments on an article you didn't really read?

The 300 is built like a brick in the wind. The proposed curb weight of the Concept Genesis is 3740 lbs, whereas a 300 with a hemi weighs 4046 lbs, and AWD makes it even heavier. Add that to the fact that it doesn't have a 6-speed transmission either. If you really read the article, you'd notice that it said the Concept Genesis would have over 300hp and over 300 ft lbs of torque and is capable of expanding up to a liter in displacement with little modification. The V6 is proposed to have close to 300hp. If you also look at what MT said, you would have noticed that they thought it would sell even if they charged $5k for it. The only known number is the sub-$30k starting number. How can you really post comments on an article you didn't really read?

the gist of my comment was that the hyundai won't have any price advantage over more desirable cars like the dcx 300. the hyundai is an unoriginal design and will not have top notch performance attributes. so it will not scare any established competition.

only poseurs will be buying this car because they can't pony up the money for what they really want.

hyundai=imposters

the gist of my comment was that the hyundai won't have any price advantage over more desirable cars like the dcx 300. the hyundai is an unoriginal design and will not have top notch performance attributes. so it will not scare any established competition.

only poseurs will be buying this car because they can't pony up the money for what they really want.

hyundai=imposters

I think you're underestimating the number of "poseurs" out there. Most people can't afford the car they "really want" and settle for the best they can afford. Chrysler should be scared of what this means to the sale of the higher end 300's (3.5V6 and 5.7V8). A fully loaded 300 can hit $40k with an SRT-8 hitting $47k. Besides, Lexus has proven again and again with the ES series that unoriginal sells pretty well.

I think you're underestimating the number of "poseurs" out there. Most people can't afford the car they "really want" and settle for the best they can afford. Chrysler should be scared of what this means to the sale of the higher end 300's (3.5V6 and 5.7V8). A fully loaded 300 can hit $40k with an SRT-8 hitting $47k. Besides, Lexus has proven again and again with the ES series that unoriginal sells pretty well.

those 300's that were selling for 40k 2 years ago are selling for MUCH cheaper now