Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

SPY SHOTS! 2008 Honda Accord sedan

Flybrian

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like they injected all the passion they had available into the coupe.

Seems to be the case.

It definitely doesn't look as good as I expected, but that's not to say it looks bad by any means. It's just... different in a not so different way. Disappointing after seeing the coupe.

Wow, that's disappointing to say the least. What's with the Japanese and bulging head/tail lights lately?

It looks like a 5-series knockoff...but the proportions look odd and the car itself looks awkward.

Oh well, at least the coupe is shaping up nicely.

I like the coupe a lot, but somehow this looks like a disjointed Hyundai ripoff...which is really odd. I don't know why they couldn't just keep as much of the coupe's goodness as possible (even for those of you who don't like it, it's still better), and just make that a sedan. Not exactly an expected transformation of the current smooth, if boring, shape.

Then again, it's a Honda, and at least it should drive and be built nicely enough to make up for it's aesthetics.

The proportions and overall styling scream "1999." It looks more out-of-date than the car it's replacing, which is never a good sign.

I respect Honda as a company, but their styling has been taking 6 steps backwards lately. Between this and the "Two different grills.....on the same car!" horror of the new CR-V, their new offerings have mostly been either bland or vaguely ugly. They really need to revamp their studios or something.

Good job! Who wants a Camry now... this is why I take Honda over Toyota-zilla anyday! In fact, I might prefer them over Chevy sometimes...yikes. They translated coupee to sedan well, but the 5er and Genisis is shining through that sheetmetal!

Now, it isnt as exciting as the 'Bu, but lets not trash Honda! The front end styling kicks the deer-lookin Malibu's ass, and any other mid-sizer's for that matter.The rear end looks better too.

It's not jaw dropping, but it's a definitee improvement... And 2 years ago,noone @ GM could hope for styling this good... so ya'll dont have to be calling this ugly!

Edited by dimitri0917

Honda ripping off Hyundai now? That looks like a Sonata

DAMN IT you beat be to it!

Actually it looks like a Hyundai Sonata mated with a Suzuki Verona and produced something direct to the 'big lots' store.

Wow, I did not expect

Posted Image

to lay an egg like this. New Bu is much prettier, as is the Fusion and Aura. TAURUS even has it all over this turd.

Why didn't Honda bother to just extend the design they have then?

Congrats on the scoop, Chris, even if it's not, ahem, PRIDDY.

The folks at Nissan must be popping champagne corks after seeing this. The Altima just shot up the charts. WOW.

Bob Lutz must be having a Cigar and some well aged scotch right now!

Edited by regfootball

Honda has never been very good with sheet metal. Most of their styling is bland, inside and out.

Speaking of inside, Id love to see what the production interior looks like.

The exterior is a solid "meh". I think its cleaner in execution than the Camry though. Thats not saying much.

I actually think it looks good. I still have a feeling that I will like the '08 Malibu better (the overhangs on this one pretty sizeable), but I could understand if people bought this Accord for looks instead of going by its reputation alone.

Edited by DetroitNut90

Honda has never been very good with sheet metal. Most of their styling is bland, inside and out.

I happen to LOVE their current interior... I think it's the most-stylish of midsize sedans.

It looks bigger to me but that just may be an illusion. Anyone know if they planned to increase the Accord's length at all?

I think how low it is riding on those ugly 15in wheels is really throwing off the whole look of the car. Look at the wheel gap in most of the pics, that isn't how it's going to be in the production version, no way. And the wheels themselves are very narrow and small, probably just mule rims like the ugly ones that were on the Coupe.

How original, I can almost tell it's not a Camry.

I think how low it is riding on those ugly 15in wheels is really throwing off the whole look of the car. Look at the wheel gap in most of the pics, that isn't how it's going to be in the production version, no way. And the wheels themselves are very narrow and small, probably just mule rims like the ugly ones that were on the Coupe.

For testing purposes, there could very well be some dead weight in the trunk that is messing with the ride height. The wheels, however, are probably production.

Edited by Chris_Doane

I thought the exact same thing about the wheel gaps.

Some thoughts:

- It seems to have taken a lot of elements from the TL (especially in the side shots)

- The rear end seems to be a let down compared to the rest of the car (a new accord tradition?).

- Does not seem as nice as the coupe.

- Fix the gaps/stance and remove the tape and it should be a winner.

Now we just need some shots of the interior.

Perhaps the Mazda6 you are meaning?

yup.

the mazda 3 kicks the civic's ass so there's no reason to think the next 6 won't kick the accord's ass. Mazda is licking their chops after seeing this Honda dung.

Honda is really going after the old folks homes with this thing. i wonder if they will be doing ride and drives at assisted living places.

Chris, do you really sleep with a camera under your pillow?

Edited by regfootball

in the interest of an open mind and fairness, i looked at those nicely snapped images of this thing again today.

and i realized it's even uglier today than i thought it was yesterday. wow. This thing is just flat out terrible.

is honda purposely making this ugly to appeal to the hyundai lovers (i.e. ugly car lovers) out there?

Are they making the accord ugly just so they can purposely sell more next gen higher priced TL's? i.e. make more $$$$ selling a prettier version of the same car.

The doors and greenhouse are not that objectionable but the front and rear ends and big overhangs are not nice. And yes, the fact that it's weighted down does not help the visual, but there are just many bad things here.

I almost see some Chevy Epica in this too. I might be crazy there, though.

http://www.km77.com/marcas/chevrolet/2006/epica/gama/g01.asp

Edited by regfootball

Which in turn looks like a smoothed out Sebring! Sebring looks like a 300... 300 looks like a bentley... bentleys look like Audis... Audis look like VW's (they are)... VW's look like Toyotas... Toyotas look like Lexuses (Lexi?) Lexuses look like BMW's/ Mercedes... I could go on FOREVER!

The point is, in Detroit and Stuttgart and Nagoya and Seoul and wherever else cars are made, not much is original. Even esteemed brands like Porsche have looks based heavily on retro designs.

So, sure the accord looks like a hyundai or whatever else, but where did the Sonata's looks come from? THE ACCORD what goes around comes around, I suppose...

in the interest of an open mind and fairness, i looked at those nicely snapped images of this thing again today.

and i realized it's even uglier today than i thought it was yesterday. wow. This thing is just flat out terrible.

is honda purposely making this ugly to appeal to the hyundai lovers (i.e. ugly car lovers) out there?

Are they making the accord ugly just so they can purposely sell more next gen higher priced TL's? i.e. make more $$$$ selling a prettier version of the same car.

The doors and greenhouse are not that objectionable but the front and rear ends and big overhangs are not nice. And yes, the fact that it's weighted down does not help the visual, but there are just many bad things here.

OMG, I figured it out!

Honda is making it uglier because this way when Hyundai copies it, they'll fail at sales. :AH-HA_wink:

The current Sonata clearly used the Accord as inspiration, so it's not surprising that the new Accord continues to have some resemblance to it, though BMW overtures are there. Overall, it's a dull look, but not as polarizing as the old one. It will therefore be more successful in being bought up by the masses.

What's with the Japanese and bulging head/tail lights lately?

The Japanese? They're not the only ones to be doing it. Take a look at the headlights of an Impala or a Solstice. Bulge. :P

The current Sonata clearly used the Accord as inspiration, so it's not surprising that the new Accord continues to have some resemblance to it, though BMW overtures are there.

Agreed.

Yet another car with a Nissan-inspired dog leg C-pillar. I swear those things are multiplying like a disease.

You mean BMW...