Flybrian

Chevy Traverse to be priced ~$23,000

60 posts in this topic

GM to Build New Chevy in Tennessee
Posted Image
Jamie LaReau and David Barkholz | Automotive News | October 1, 2007

DETROIT — General Motors will build a new mid-sized Chevrolet crossover at its Spring Hill, Tenn., plan beginning early next year.

The vehicle, to be called Traverse, will arrive in showrooms as a 2009 model, sources say.

The Traverse will be based on GM's Lambda architecture, which is used for the GMC Acadia, Saturn Outlook and the Buick Enclave. Those three crossovers are assembled at GM's plant in Delta Township, Mich.

United Auto Workers and management officials have told Spring Hill workers that the new Chevy will be priced about $10,000 below the Enclave. The Enclave starts at $32,790, including shipping.

The Chevy crossover is expected to target Chevrolet TrailBlazer and minivan owners. GM is phasing out the TrailBlazer and minivan sales continue to decline.

We need it, we need it desperately,” said a large Chevrolet dealer who asked not to be named. “We don't have a van right now, the closest we have to it is the TrailBlazer, so we're losing a lot of business because of it. The crossover is a very popular segment right now.”

The dealer said Chevy wants capacity for 250,000 crossovers annually.

Spring Hill, where the Saturn Vue crossover was produced, has been down for retooling since April. It is set to re-open in January. An engine plant on site continues to operate.

I never understood why Chevy didn't get a version first, another example of poor planning. The end of the Trailblazer will put the Moraine,Ohio plant in jeopardy but nothing has been said about it latley since its part of another union.

they needed to sell it as GMC and Buick and Saturn first to bring higher sell prices and more profit margin.

wait, when do these hit the showrooms then? This MIGHT be an option for me now if its out before my 500 lease is up and I am am bankrolling GM card money. This could make a lambda doable for me.

Edited by regfootball

I never understood why Chevy didn't get a version first, another example of poor planning. The end of the Trailblazer will put the Moraine,Ohio plant in jeopardy but nothing has been said about it latley since its part of another union.

hardly poor planning. it was excellent planning. hit the market with the more expensive models, and then bring in the cheaper ones. it's a no brainer!

i wonder if there could be a traverse sut or something in the future? A GM version of the chrysler rampage? i think. maybe?

Edited by jbartley

How are these going to be equipped if these start at $23,000 or so? And these will have the same 270hp, 3.6-liter DOHC High Feature V-6 engine and 6-speed automatic transmission, right?

No way this starts at $23k. Perhaps $25k is possible. The Malibu starts at $20k with a 4cyl, 4-speed, and a cheap interior.

That estimate is also more than they were planning on unless they upped their target.

It will be built at both Spring Hill and LDT.

No way this starts at $23k. Perhaps $25k is possible. The Malibu starts at $20k with a 4cyl, 4-speed, and a cheap interior.

That estimate is also more than they were planning on unless they upped their target.

It will be built at both Spring Hill and LDT.

Maybe with a Chinese-made 3.4L V6/4-AT combo?

:ph34r:

-RBB

seriously....will we have pushrods and no third row seat and no cruise control?

drum brakes?

detuned 3.6?

this also opens the door for the other 3 lambdas to get higher output v6's and 8 cylinders now that chevy can take the low end.

i wonder if they can cut out some curb weight too.

From the price and variety stand point, it seems as if GM is trying to make these cross-overs what the Caravan and Town & Country are to Chrysler.

To compete with the minivans out there, they will need to have one starting at the $23,000 range. Question is; how do you do that without taking too much content out?

To compete with the minivans out there, they will need to have one starting at the $23,000 range. Question is; how do you do that without taking too much content out?

Squeeze your margin so the most basic model barely breaks even, and expect/hope/pray very few of those will be sold. Edited by ZL-1

That pretty much explains two things to me that I was in denial about. The first is the Equinox is doing away. The Traverse will replace it price wise (not size wise) and then a U.S. version of the Captiva is coming. I like the Captiva. This removes one model for Chevrolet since they supposedly have too many right now. Thats 3 models gone, he Equinox,TB and Uplander, and one model added. :scratchchin: hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Maybe the base model will have a 4cyl, 4spd auto configuration.

So when does Pontiac , Cadillac and Saab get there versions too ? I thought the endless cloning was over at GM ?

I really like the Opel'ish Saturn version ...especially the interior , but in all honesties , it shoulda had a Chevy badge from the get go . And since Chevy is a full line dealer .....the cheaper Traverse version shoulda been where chevy starts and the top of the line Outlook is where the chevy shoulda stopped . Keep the GMC , Definately keep the Enclave and leave it at that . All price points and market preferences covered ;)

Edited by silverss/sc

Why did Chevy get the vehicle as Saturn, GMC & Buick????

In the hierarchy of things the cheap version should be Saturn. Now, Chevy squeezes in and shifts Saturn to no purpose what so ever!!!

They should have given Chevy a true minivan!!!

This would kill any resale value of the Outlook, which itself is pretty miserable in base XE form: black moldings, drab interior, manual seats, no steering wheel audio controls, and no trip computer. I guess they could get rid of the privacy glass, alloys, rear air conditioning, and third row.

Thats 3 models gone, he Equinox,TB and Uplander, and one model added. :scratchchin: hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I read speculation that Chevy was getting the new 7 passenger delta mini van.

250k units a year is a little ambitious I think. It is much bigger than the Trailblazer, so Trailblazer seekers may go to Jeep or Highlander or Explorer, and it isn't a minivan. Minivans are lower and easier to get into than the lambdas, moms with kids are going to still like a minivan for that reason. I am sure it will steal some sales from the minivan segment, but it doesn't make up for not having a van at all. Being 10 inches longer and 500 pounds heavier than a Trailblazer could hurt it, or it might sell at 250k a year by eating into sales of Tahoes and Acadias. I bet they price it around $25,000 base, a Honda Odyssey is that much base, and that allows them to have a smaller SUV around 23k.

Chevy needs product badly though, the Impala, Cobalt and Equinox are all dated and in need of replacement. GM needs to cut the models, they can't update them fast enough, by the time they get the new impala, Equinox and Cobalt out, they will need an all new Malibu again.

4 rebadges is a horrible mistake too, they flood the market and drive down resale value. They just recreated the Envoy/Trailblazer/Bravada problem, and look at where they are now. 5 years from now the Lambdas will be the same, low resale, too big, too slow and thirsty and dated looking because of the plastic body moldings on the sides of them all, including the Enclave. The Lambdas have a smaller, less powerful engine than the GMT360s had, but the Lambdas are 400-500 pounds heavier. While they spend 2-3 years getting these out, stuff like the Impala and Cobalt get put on the back burner, and those are the vehicles that need help, as well as the Cadillac line.

4 rebadges is a horrible mistake too, they flood the market and drive down resale value. They just recreated the Envoy/Trailblazer/Bravada problem, and look at where they are now. 5 years from now the Lambdas will be the same, low resale, too big, too slow and thirsty and dated looking because of the plastic body moldings on the sides of them all, including the Enclave. The Lambdas have a smaller, less powerful engine than the GMT360s had, but the Lambdas are 400-500 pounds heavier. While they spend 2-3 years getting these out, stuff like the Impala and Cobalt get put on the back burner, and those are the vehicles that need help, as well as the Cadillac line.

Rebadges? Plastic cladding? Low resale on vehicles that hit the lots five months ago? Where exactly are you getting this inaccurate information?

My only response is

Posted Image

You're just a sucker for punishment aren't you? I already pwned you on the CTS v. various BMWs earlier..... hell, why not this too.

The Lambdas seat seven.... which meant the appropriate comparison to a Trailblazer is the Trailblazer EXT.

First, I doubt anyone could successfully argue that the Trailblazer is more user/family friendly than any of the Lambdas. The rear seats in the Lambda are usable by adults while the rear seats in the Trailblazer EXT are only good for people age 10 and under.

Now about the weight issue. The Lambas weigh in at 4925 in AWD form. The Trailblazer EXT 4WD weighs in at 4954. There goes your weight arguement.

On the engines... Horsepower on the Trailblazer EXT 6 cylinder is 291... yes, higher than the 275 on the Lambdas. However, the Lambda engine hits it's torque peak of 251 ft/lbs at 3200 rpm rather than 4800 rpm for the torque peak in the Atlas I6. Transmissions being the same, that means better around town scoot..... but the transmissions aren't the same. The Lambda has two more gears than the GMT360... which means better acceleration and better fuel economy.

But wait, there's more. Read just about any review of the Trailblazer EXT with an I6 and the reviewer will call it a slug and either recommend opting for the V8 or just moving up to the Tahoe. Most reviews of the Lambdas tell readers that they can opt out of the Tahoe now and get a Lambda instead. Considering the GMT-900 Tahoe is one of the best full size SUVs on the market, that is pretty high praise.

As for "plastic cladding" on the lambdas, I see none. I invite you to post a picture of a lambda, your choice, and circle in red the areas that have cladding.

Now.... are you done or do I have to call Dr. House to find out where in your colon this drivel is coming from?

wish the traverse was out already, my married cousin, going on her 3rd kid needs a lambda with this price tag. she loves the outlook and the acadia, just not the price...she's mainly looking at a used explorer last i talked to her.

Glad I wore my boots. 'Cause the $h!s gettin' deep in here...

LOL @ all the bitching about Lambda vehicles... Seems that these vehicles are a little too good for comfort when it comes to import fans.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor