Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Drew Dowdell

LAIAS: 2009 Lincoln MKS

56 posts in this topic

Link to Article and Pics at Autoblog

For the past two decades, the only thing consistent about Ford's Lincoln division has been its inconsistency. To put it lightly, the brand has struggled to find it's place in the automotive landscape. The vehicles from Ford's premium domestic division haven't had a coherent look since the early '80s. Several of its models, such as the LS and the Navigator, have sold well at times, but the absence of a Lincoln DNA hasn't helped. In 2006, North American Design chief Peter Horbury set about changing all that. He gave his team the task of examining past Lincolns to determine what set them apart.

The first new model intended to set Lincoln on it's path to rebirth is the 2009 MKS, which is making its debut in production form at the LA Auto Show later today. The MKS first appeared as a concept at the 2006 Detroit Auto Show. It's based on the same platform as the Ford 500/Taurus, which originated at Volvo under the S80/XC90. When the concept first appeared it was reasonably well received as a pleasant if not daring design for the marque. Subsequently, Horbury's team began its quest for the soul of Lincoln and came up with a list of seven elements that would be part of future Lincoln designs. Most of these appeared on the 2007 MKR concept that we saw in Detroit. While most of the MKS was already locked in for production, after the show Ford management made the decision to adopt one of most prominent elements from the new MKR concept, its grille.

the 3.7L will beat 90% of the ~3.5L's now... wonder how powerful the DI/turboed version will be....

the pics of it look good. not as stunning as the cts though

This car's hallmark is clearly the engine. The exterior - while nice - is not flagship material in any way, shape or form. I don't understand the insistance on outmoded door buttons.

I will also add that certain photos I'm about to post make it look strikingly LaCrosse-like in profile.

Well, I'll see this car tomorrow.....so final judgements must wait.

I think taken in isolation, this looks pretty good. However, it's very apparent in the front-overhang that this car is FWD-based.....and from reading the specs, it looks like FWD will be standard with AWD optional......I just can't get my arms around any Lincoln being FWD. I also can't get my arms around the vertical taillights. That's a Cadillac trait in my mind....hasn't Lincoln typically used horizontal taillights?

Funny how much this car looks like a copy of the new Jaguar XF......LOL......

Interior is nice overall......but after the CTS' artistic display of the HVAC and radio/nav controls, this Lincoln center stack looks WAY boring. Perhaps if they would have cascaded the wood trim down the center stack, instead of black plastic, it would have looked nicer.

It's a nice car...and I hope it does well for Lincoln. I'm sure, price-wise, it will cause some serious cross-shopping with CTS....and may even take a few sales.....but I don't see this MKS EVER doing for Lincoln what the first-generation CTS did for Cadillac.

....and that's sad....because that is just what Lincoln needs right now. Not a reskinned and rebadged Taurus!

It's a nice car...and I hope it does well for Lincoln. I'm sure, price-wise, it will cause some serious cross-shopping with CTS....and may even take a few sales.....but I don't see this MKS EVER doing for Lincoln what the first-generation CTS did for Cadillac.

Doubtful even there. The CTS appeals to a completely different expectation and mindset when it comes to luxury sedans. STS vs MKS? Most certainly more likely.

Doubtful even there. The CTS appeals to a completely different expectation and mindset when it comes to luxury sedans. STS vs MKS? Most certainly more likely.

MKS = gives town car buyers something new, provides upgrade from MKz. Provides a better alternatives to some Japanese lux sedans like Lexus ES, Honda RL and TL. Buick, DTS and STS buyers will cross shop this. Volvo buyers might even consider this.

Fly again is spot on. This was never meant to duel the CTS. Lincoln is positioned itself below caddy these days.

Not every luxury sedan needs to shred pavement like the BMW's. This package is a nice blend of euroasian bland luxury and tradtional lincoln style. It immediately is Lincoln's best product and has a long life cycle of updates planned.

I hate how much the interior still reminds of my 500. The shifter and console area sucks. The front looks like my old Diamantes mated with a grand am. But I do like the new front. Ford was wise to redesign it before production.

Truth is, I LOVE the CTS, but I would totally shop the MKs myself because its more commodious and still looks elegant. I bet it handles well enough for me. Twin Force and powershift would rule.

Some might argue that Lincoln's current lineup can attract more buyers at retail than Caddy now. MKx sells well. The MKs should do well out of the gate. MKz has done well. STS and SRX are not busting sales charts for caddy. XLR barely sells. If you are a Lincoln+Merc dealer, you are doing better than standalone caddy dealer for sure.

Edited by regfootball

The biggest downfall of this car is...FWD!!This is where the CTS will trump it everytime in my book, that and the CTS is a far far better looking car inside and out.

I kinda like this car. Yes, the taillights are stolen from a Maserati, but I kinda like that too. However, as mentioned, this is nowhere near a luxury flagship model for a number of reasons, but particularly I would point to the lack of a V8. So you can all stop comparing this to Cadillacs now and start comparing it to what its true competiton will be...Buick.

Looks like a nice car..but 272 hp is not flagship material...

OMG! IT will NEVAR outhandLE teh 3-series! Lincoln is teh suxors! OF course it competes with Teh 3-series since teh prise is teh same

I had to chuckle at the comparison of the MKS to the STS. There really is no comparison between the two. Even though the STS is dated (I still love it tho), it is worlds more sophisticated than the MKS on its Volvo chassis thats front wheel drive biased.

I kinda like this car. Yes, the taillights are stolen from a Maserati, but I kinda like that too. However, as mentioned, this is nowhere near a luxury flagship model for a number of reasons, but particularly I would point to the lack of a V8. So you can all stop comparing this to Cadillacs now and start comparing it to what its true competiton will be...Buick.

The LaCrosse or the Lucerne?

OMG! IT will NEVAR outhandLE teh 3-series! Lincoln is teh suxors! OF course it competes with Teh 3-series since teh prise is teh same

No, this is more an ES350 competitor, something the MKZ can only dream of doing.

so funny all the backlash considering this car is better than 90% of the rolling piles of $h! that are in everyone's garage now.

i can't recall what the power figures are going to be for the twinforce version of this car....like 370 or something.

again, this car was not conceived to duel a 5 series. But to be a decent alternative to say, an ES Lexus...sure.

Audi, Volvo and Saab and Honda have been selling luxury cars for years built on FWD platforms. Not ideal, but they still maintain a decent standing in the lux car pecking order. Look at Acura, the RL (really lame, with SHAWD!) TL (totally lame or thoroughly lame, take your pick) RDX (really dumb Xover) and MDX (just mildly dumb crossover). All front drive. Not to mention the Canadian exclusive EL (extremely lame).

I think the front end looks nice, but why does that rear end remind me of the Chevrolet Nubira?

so funny all the backlash considering this car is better than 90% of the rolling piles of $h! that are in everyone's garage now.

You know why I don't like this car? One reason:

Posted Image

We could have had that.

That would get me to jump ship from GM. That would get Chrysler 300C owners to jump ship. That could likely even get non-snob E-class and GS owners to jump ship. Even if it didn't have all the cool concept stuff and suicide doors or weird trunk. Just keep the outside shape and styling, put it on the DEW98 platform. Profit.

Thats a pretty cool 300C.

Considering that this was a 2002 concept and the 300c came out as a 2005 in early 2004.... Lincoln could have beaten Chrysler to the punch because they already had the platform ready to go.

By way of Comparison:

Premium Sedans	   Pass.  Cargo Total  Weight	 Wheelbase   Length	  Width	  Height
Buick Lucerne		108.0  17.0  125.0  1707 3764  2936 115.6  5161 203.2  1874 73.8  1473 58.0
Buick Park Avenue (new)				  1875 4134  3009 118.5  5175 203.7  1899 74.8  1480 58.3
VW Phaeton		   108.0  13.0  121.0  2187 4822  3001 118.1  5175 203.7  1903 74.9  1450 57.1
BMW 730Li			111.0  18.0  129.0  1910 4211  3128 123.1  5179 203.9  1902 74.9  1484 58.4
Lincoln MKS		  105.9  18.4  124.3  1872 4127  2867 112.9  5185 204.1  1927 75.9  1565 61.6
Audi A8L 3.2 FSI	 106.8  14.6  121.4  1740 3836  3074 121.0  5192 204.4  1894 74.6  1455 57.3
Mercedes Benz S350L  109.4  16.3  125.7  1925 4244  3165 124.6  5206 205.0  1872 73.7  1473 58.0
Jaguar XJ8 L				16.4		 1714 3779  3160 124.4  5215 205.3  1942 76.5  1455 57.3
Buick Park Avenue	112.1  19.1  131.2  1714 3779  2891 113.8  5253 206.8  1897 74.7  1458 57.4
Toyota Century						   2050 4519  3025 119.1  5270 207.5  1890 74.4  1475 58.1
Cadillac DTS		 113.2  18.8  132.0  1818 4009  2936 115.6  5274 207.6  1901 74.8  1464 57.6

BTW, the estimated price for the 270 hp MKS is close to that of the 275 hp Lucerne CXS.

No, this is more an ES350 competitor, something the MKZ can only dream of doing.

It's most direct competition is the Buick Lucerne CXS, and despite the slight power disadvantage and the greater weight, I can see people preferring the MKS. Next closest will be the Cadillac DTS, but with more power and a higher price, that's a step up from the base MKS.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0