mustang84

Earth-shattering Chrysler info

53 posts in this topic

For Chrysler's sake, I hope someone wises up...this just has "bad idea" spelled all over it. The only part that doesn't sound to bad is Jeep selling the company's SUVs only...I could see that. But getting rid of Dodge cars...are they frickin' nuts?

Chrysler LLC dealers have been briefed on a plan by Chrysler to cut as many as a thousand U.S. franchised dealers in tandem with new, earth-shaking branding changes, according to a just-published article in The Wall Street Journal. The branding changes would entail limiting all passenger car sales to the Chrysler brand only, with Dodge dealers having only light-duty trucks and commercial vehicles to sell and Jeep dealers having only Jeeps and SUVs to sell.

The dealers said that Chrysler has not decided to definitely go through with the plan at this point, but will make a decision on whether to proceed with the changes by the end of the year.

http://www.autosavant.net/2007/11/chrysler...nd-changes.html

Getting rid of SUVs other than Jeep? Sure.

Getting rid of Dodge cars? Bad idea.

Also, where would this leave the minivans?

Stupidity written all over it. The Chrysler brand would never be able to move upmarket if it had to be saddled with selling the budget models too.

Please reconsider this plan, for the sake of your company.

Good Gravy, are they lunatics over there? Getting rid of Dodge cars is a very stupid idea. Dodge and Chrysler cars can, and DO, have their own distinct identities.

Just when there seemed like hope for the company news like this comes out. This has got to be the stupidest move in the history of auto manufacturing. I hope like hell it's not true.

a couple years ago, chrysler tried limiting dodge to just trucks here in canada. that's why we had chrysler intrepid r/t's running around the place. that didn't last two long though.

Wasn't Dodge supposed to become all wagons/hatchbacks a few years ago?

It's even more retarded when you consider that 1.) The truck and SUV market is shrinking, so limiting Dodge to trucks is basically a death sentence. 2.) Chrysler has a long history of selling cars, and the cars they make that are very good, like the Charger, sell very well. You can't blame poor performance on the fact that they sell cars, you blame it on the fact that the cars weren't good enough, you make world class cars, and they will sell.

If they're dropping a thousand dealers then I assume that means that the remaining ones would sell both Chrysler cars and Dodge trucks under the same roof. Sort of like Pontiac/Buick GMC. Jeep could continue to stand alone in larger markets or could be sold in a one-stop Mopar store in others.

It could make sense. It certainly isn't necessary to have both Dodge and Chrysler minivans. for example. If it were me and I could be sold on the economics of the consolidation idea, I think it would still be good to keep one or maybe two Dodge cars, maybe the Challenger and the Viper.

The economics still escape me though. Isn't it easier to build at Brampton's capacity by making both Chargers and 300s?

Edited by Jazzhead

:rotflmao: OHHH MANNNNN!

Passsss the popcorn for this!

Talk about major brand restructuring.... Hmmm...

JEEP = HUMMER

Dodge = GMC

Chrysler = Pontiac/Buick combined as a single premium entity... (interesting concept :scratchchin: )

What happens to the Challenger?

What happens to the Challenger?

Chrysler Challenger...

Chrysler Viper...

Chrysler Caliber...

Nope, those sound as good as Chrysler Voyager...

keep in mind this is the sort of thing you do if you are simply trying to prepare a business that is easier to sell. the notion of paring models and such and cutting dealers is in vogue with the analysts and press (the media, not JIM press neccessarily) so yeah i could believe this.

but to me it falls apart because dodge really needs to have passenger cars. it really wasn't long ago that the intrepid and stratus were big mainstream sellers. of course, they made the intrepid into a rwd charger and killed that market base and then turned the stratus into avenger which killed that group too. the 300/LHS/Concorde had wide appeal and then they went bling and gangsta with the polarizing 300 and now they have issues because of that.

this move will really drag the chrysler brand. chrysler will become a commodity car.

this whole things reeks of doing what they can to gain enough favor from the media and industry pundits, to prop up the worth of the company and sell it. this really does not sound good. at all.

Edited by regfootball

Jeep getting all the SUVs isn't an entirely bad idea...but killing off Dodge cars?

That's it. Chrysler's new management is an official failure. That is THE stupidest idea I've ever heard come out of any automaker. Its worse than Ford's plan to massmarket the Mustang...it tops that tenfold, and that's saying something.

No Charger, Viper or Challenger? All the small economy cars imported from China going to Chrysler? What a pack of f*cking morons.

Edited by AxelTheRed

I thought about this after reading Reg's comment... If the Chrysler Group were to be sold off in pieces, this would be perfect. There would be very little (if any) platform sharing and each brand could go to the highest bidder... think about it:

JEEP sold off by itself... GM would want it hands down and sell them along side HUMMER.

Dodge sold off by itself... who needs a successful and established light truck/commercial vehicle brand? Just about any Asian manufacturer.

Chrysler sold off by itself... who needs a turn-key premium car brand in the US market? Hyundai? Chinese? India?

I agree with a lot of you on this topic. This doesn't look like a restructuring plan to revive the company in the market. It looks like preparatory measures for a sell-off. If it isn't a sell-off measure, then it is the most clear-cut case of stupidity in the current auto market.

Like many of you, I agree that Jeep should be the only brand to offer traditional SUV products. That segment has shrunk to niche-size proportions and Jeep has traditionally been a niche player in the market (as well as being well-known for this type of product).

I envisioned Dodge becoming Chrysler LLC's version of Chevrolet; it would be a sporty, affordable, mainstream, mass market brand. It would sell the widest range of vehicles and become the volume player in the brand hierarchy.

The Chrysler brand would morph into a true near luxury niche brand. It's main competitors would be second tier near luxury brands such as Lincoln, Buick, and Acura.

Oh well, so much for my hopes of a bright future for Chrysler LLC.

Yeah, I think we all remember the fears laid out about Cerebrus' (sp?) plans for Chrysler Corp before the purchase... that an investment group is not interested in nurturing a company like this, but breaking it up and selling it off for profit. Disgusting. Edited by ocnblu

Yeah, I think we all remember the fears laid out about Cerebrus' (sp?) plans for Chrysler Corp before the purchase... that an investment group is not interested in nurturing a company like this, but breaking it up and selling it off for profit. Disgusting.

Cerberus

Anyone surprised by the possibility of shrinking then selling off Chrysler hasn't been reading the Cerberus playbook.

This is what private equity does, in almost any endeavor...you really didn't think they were going to pony-up the $10+Billion needed to redesign and re-engineer the entire line-up, did you?

The cash intensive, low margin, risky nature of the auto industry is the opposite of what these guys are about...Chrysler's future as a full-line company is not bright-their best hope is Nissan coming in as a partner or buyer, unfortunately.

GM needs to buy Jeep and merge it with Hummer! :yes:

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

Criminally foolish.

Only the brain-damaged could come up with a "plan" like this.

it could just be hype, you know.

Stir up some controversy.

I sense it's already in the history books around here....

LOL

I guess I'll believe it when I see it. Sounds like National Enquirer got the scoop on this. I've seen so many rumors on the internet they all are becoming a blurrrr.......

:AH-HA_wink: