New York '08 Preview: 2010 Pontiac sports truck

To my way of thinking, Pontiac's history with the Sprint name is entirely negated by GMC using it on vehicles of the same configuration. Besides, this vehicle is defined by performance not the thrift of the Pontiac OHC straight six.

When I chose a name, I asked myself this question. What name would exemplify a Chevrolet icon being reincarnated as a Pontiac? And then, what name could symbolize a product renaissance at Pontiac?

That led me to only one conclusion: Phoenix.

DAMN!!! Beat me to it!

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

God forbid we do something original and come up with a name that is new and not owned or registered by another enitiy.

Pontiac has too long lived off or old names that only matter to a handful of enthusiaist.

It is also our chance to show how Pontiac can and use new names for their new cars.

How would the 1964 GTO sold if it was called a Star Cheif?

If anything old was used I would rather see a XP 400 or Banshee [i knowe it was killed several times because it means wailing Ghost] Or some other show car name that has Pontiac ties but a fresh name for the market.

Sprint is out as I loved my Big Block Sprint SP but the name sucked. As for Phoenix it was already used on two lame cars.

Might be time to dig up some new original Native American name.

You would think those here could do better than what already has been posted.

we need time to think!

Navajo is pretty close to utility knife in spanish. but I wouldn't suggest it.

Cherokee? ;)

a name is probably one of the hardest things to come up with, imo, for marketing purposes. it literally has to speak all the different things you are saying with the car. This car really is a lot like a swiss army knife. multiple uses, rough and tumble, highly functional, and needs to sound cool and fast.

What about Pontiac Switchblade?

And I totally agree this car needs something new to enforce it's revolutionary nature for Pontiac.

oh and No Va does mean doesn't go, in literal translation, in Spanish there are a lot less complex wordings than English, which is why it's hard for Spanish speakers to learn the language

God forbid we do something original and come up with a name that is new and not owned or registered by another enitiy.

Pontiac has too long lived off or old names that only matter to a handful of enthusiaist.

It is also our chance to show how Pontiac can and use new names for their new cars.

How would the 1964 GTO sold if it was called a Star Cheif?

If anything old was used I would rather see a XP 400 or Banshee [i knowe it was killed several times because it means wailing Ghost] Or some other show car name that has Pontiac ties but a fresh name for the market.

Sprint is out as I loved my Big Block Sprint SP but the name sucked. As for Phoenix it was already used on two lame cars.

Might be time to dig up some new original Native American name.

I doubt that there are many enthusiasts for the cars that once wore the Phoenix badge. I don't see the name as paying homage to the past, but rather hope for the future and a new beginning for Pontiac. A Phoenix is what I hope Pontiac can be , flying high enough to confound the plans of those that would end the brand.

a name is probably one of the hardest things to come up with, imo, for marketing purposes. it literally has to speak all the different things you are saying with the car. This car really is a lot like a swiss army knife. multiple uses, rough and tumble, highly functional, and needs to sound cool and fast.

You sound just like my mother. :smilewide:

Phoenix would be a great name as well for the ST, but it does have the potential of having it's past baggage coming up and biting it in the ass, although I can guarantee you that most people of my generation have no idea what a Phoenix actually was.

I came close to suggesting Ventura last night, but I thought it maybe would fit a new coupe better, so I held it back.

"Vision," though ... I like. (Think "vision quest," for your Native American connotations.) Forget the fact that the name was on a forgettable Eagle, that name needs to be on a future Pontiac, perhaps even this one. And it has a connection with the brand, as well. :AH-HA_wink:

Edited by YellowJacket894

Simply G8 TUV (truck utility vehicle) can haul your sofa and haul ass. And on Pontiac underground another new Pontiac is being announced at 10pm Tuse. Could it be a G8 Coupe (GTO) or G8 Safari... Please do both, C&G underground did a thing for a Chevelle line-up well we are getting it at Pontiac! I am so excited for Poncho and see much promise no about cafe.

This reminds me of a guy I know who had a nicely tricked out Subaru Forester (:lol:...I know, right?)

Decided to take the badges off and paint them...while he had them off he decided to give the car a new name...

Among some of the choices were:

FUBAR

FARTBUS

TOFUBUS

TROUSERBUS

FASTBUS

BARFER

TRABUS (the guy's name is Travis)

ARFBUS

FEARBUS

The winner...

fartbus2.jpg

Simply G8 TUV (truck utility vehicle) can haul your sofa and haul ass. And on Pontiac underground another new Pontiac is being announced at 10pm Tuse.

Maybe the Tues announcement will be the G3 (US version of the Wave). :)

The literal translation is No go, not doesn't go. All I did was make that statement, you inferred I was taking about the urban legend, not me. :AH-HA_wink:

I respectfully disagree.

Spanish translation of "No va" into English is "it doesn't go".

English translation of "No go" into Spanish is either "no vaya" or "ningún vaya".

Babelfish and several other translation sites support this.

:huh::huh:

I'm not sure I know what you're talking about smallchevy.

I see letters and symbols, not sure what that is all about.

But yeah, that detail would be seriously important. They should try and capatilize on the G8's intro and get it here like tomorrow, before gas prices go much crazier. Realistically, I see no reason why we should have to wait any longer than the Aussies, so hopefully they've got thier act together and it won't be getting here late next year, like some of these crazy reports are trying to say.

I thought of a name, maybe already been said. the Pontiac G8 Haul Your ASS.

It would be cool if on Tuesday they showed the Solstice Targa and a concept Pontiac Coupe 60.

Pontiac Hauler

Pontiac Speedwagon (a little nod to REO)

Pontiac GTU

Pontiac Tailgate

Pontiac Caballero? (still not sure of this name, I think it's both very cool & dorky)

Pontiac GTT

Pontiac Ute

I doubt that there are many enthusiasts for the cars that once wore the Phoenix badge. I don't see the name as paying homage to the past, but rather hope for the future and a new beginning for Pontiac. A Phoenix is what I hope Pontiac can be , flying high enough to confound the plans of those that would end the brand.

I speak not of Phoenix Enthusiast [were there any?] I speak in terms of general Pontiac enthusiasts. They would be the only ones who would remember or care what Phoenix means. Pluse anyone over 35 would remember the X cars.

A new Pontiac needs a new name. Any use of a old name carrys some legacy [Good] and most times bagage [bad] with it.

I went through my Pontiac library and Pontiac had some good names and some really lame names over the years.

Edited by hyperv6

Ventura? I like that name...was thinking it could be interesting to bring back.

I wondered if Zeta would work as a name..it's distinctive.

Meh...I don't like Ventura.

Not only is it the name of the county my city is in (Ventura County is the northern/coastal county next to LA County...and I just never cared for the city of Ventura, or the majority of the city's located in it the county...though I think the bad rap it has with me is due to Oxnard which is a horrible name for a town...Ventura county after you go down the grade is all agriculture anyway...it gets nicer when you get more northern, closer to Santa Barbara (like in Caprenteria) otherwise...nothing special.

It also makes me think of Ace Ventura...which I wouldn't say is a great thing to be associated with...

Catalina or, ironically Custom-S would actually sound good.

Pontiac Trans Sport, Anyone? :smilewide:

I already posted Trans Sport but we should be able to do better as it has too much baggage with the plastic minivans.

Catalina just does not fit a truck and Custom S was a poor simple name name even back in the day. Even back in the 60's it was just as bad as the G numbers today. But few today remember that car is one positive.

Another cop out name was the T-37.

Lets face it when Pontiac has had a good name they have picked well like Trans Am. But when they failed they had some very poor names over the years.

I know GM could not use Royal Bobcat but they could go with Bobcat is is not registered as a car elsewhere. A little old and never an offical Pontiac model. Better yet buy the rights if they don't over price it.

My choices,

Trans Sport

Grand Camino

Unfortunately Torrent, has been used, would have been a cool name for this, or even instead of GTO, Torrent would make a powerful name for a G8 coupe or sports car. Now its pretty much unusable. I also prefered Pursuit to G5, but I digress....

I submitted "Trans Sport", as a couple of others here did too. That was the Pontiac "people-mover" and while it wasn't Pontiac's hottest seller, i'd bet not too many will remember it as a minivan, as "Montana" (stupid name btw) was used more since it's '97 re-introduction. And even though the G8 ST is not a people-mover, I think the name "Trans Sport" fits it well... being able to transport whatever you need (in the bed, within reason) and being able to handle and perform well (car-like qualities).

Now hopefully someone else (not just here at C&G) is more creative and comes up with a brand new name for this vehicle that represents it well. I think historical Pontiac names need to remain in "history" and not reused while trying to re-image this brand.

How about Pontiac Tomahawk?

Only issue I could see is the clash with the old Tomahawk concept.

tomhawk1.jpg

I think it would be a really cool, and fitting name for it. It has a lot of meaning behind it, as well as heritage, as a tomahawk is not only a weapon, but a tool as well (other than the obvious of it being related to Indians, and, well...the whole Pontiac and "arrowhead" thing... :P.)

Edited by Nick

tomhawk1.jpg

I think it would be a really cool, and fitting name for it. It has a lot of meaning behind it, as well as heritage, as a tomahawk is not only a weapon, but a tool as well (other than the obvious of it being related to Indians, and, well...the whole Pontiac and "arrowhead" thing... :P.)

Good name but I would bet Chrysler has it registered since they built the Viper powered Bike. That is the hard part of this as the name either has to be registered presently or can be regiseted to Pontiac.

I did submit Travois. The term is a Native American term for the two poles they drug on the back of a horse to transport their goods back in the day.

I Really liike Trans Sport but I figured it was already submited and I wanted to avoid old Pontiac names. I just don't think Pontiac is ready to rehash any old names while trying to creat a new image.

tomhawk1.jpg

Okay, I've followed Pontiac's concept cars throroughly throughout the '90s and into this century, have many books on Pontiacs and Pontiac's concept vehicles, but I've NEVER heard of the Tomahawk before. Can you provide some additional info, like year it was shown, and/or a link??? TIA :thumbsup:

Okay, I've followed Pontiac's concept cars throroughly throughout the '90s and into this century, have many books on Pontiacs and Pontiac's concept vehicles, but I've NEVER heard of the Tomahawk before. Can you provide some additional info, like year it was shown, and/or a link??? TIA :thumbsup:

I honestly have no clue at all...I can't find any info on it. I just did a search to see if Pontiac has used Tomahawk before because it sounded familiar, then I recalled the viper bike, then I saw the pictures of the concept.

I noticed a thread on GMI regarding speculation of the concept, and that was about it...no other information to be found...

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f20/pon...tomahawk-60095/

Edited by Nick

Catalina or, ironically Custom-S would actually sound good.

Pontiac Trans Sport, Anyone? :smilewide:

I always liked that name and thoght it was original and played on Pontiacs other name plates. I thought it was stupid of GM to rename it Montana instead of leaving the Montana as a trim package of the Trans Port. I could agree with the G8 ST being called Trans Port but with the Alpha numeric naming convention now undereway at Pontiac, it would not fit.

tomhawk1.jpg

Great idea and name except in this politically correct charged world we live in, the GM lawyers would be afraid it might offend Native Americans much like it is made a big deal in professional sport teams like in the NFL, NHL, etc.