CSpec

Is this an Uncamo'd shot of the New Cobalt?

73 posts in this topic

Link to Story

This appears to be a rare, camo-free shot of the 2011 Chevy Cobalt replacement.

The yet-to-be-named compact would ride on the Delta platform and is expected to begin production at General Motors’ Lordstown, Ohio, plant in mid-2010. It’s likely to be revealed it at an auto show this fall.

This car reportedly gets 40 mpg, and with fuel prices soaring, it can’t get here soon enough.

The photos show that it will get what is becoming Chevy’s signature front grille, similar to that on the Malibu. It also has more aggressive headlamps and appears to be a bit larger than the current-generation Cobalt.

It’s being developed by GM’s South Korean unit, with considerable input from North America and Europe. In previous shots of the car, it appeared to wear an Opel badge and grille.

The car is likely to get a version of GM’s turbocharged 1.4-liter four-cylinder global powerplant, adding fuel economy and performance. It will also come in coupe and sedan versions, with the coupe likely to have a sportier vibe.

That C-pillar trim thing is still there, but the trim doesn't even look like it matches. Maybe it is fake?

That C-pillar trim thing is still there, but the trim doesn't even look like it matches. Maybe it is fake?

I hope so. I hate this styling practice. It makes the car look cheap instead of making the roofline more interesting or attractive. I am doubtful that it will disappear, however. If the car is out and about without any camouflage, why would they keep this small patch on the car?

did they just take Accord headlights and mount them on this car?

I get that impression too. Nevertheless, this is a very good looking car.

i think it looks ok... at least in that pic. it looks to importish & malibu to really like it at the moment.

So this new car is what was referred to a week or two ago as the new GM high mileage compact? I wonder if they will keep the Cobalt name.

I think they should keep the name. I've always liked it, and it was never a ssociated with a horrib;e car that sat without a design for more than a decade like the Crapalier was. It also had the SS varients to help build crediblity.

One thing I don't like about Lutz is that he loves to change names with every redesign, which never lets a model build a reputation. Even Hyundai and Kia keep their names in the new generations, even if older versions were terrible.

Welcome to the new homogeny of letting GME design all of your cars.

Soon enough, we'll have 60 different version of Opel to sell in america.

This has to be sooner than 2010 to be that far along in development.... unless they're releasing it in Feb '09 as a 2010.

Welcome to the new homogeny of letting GME design all of your cars.

Soon enough, we'll have 60 different version of Opel to sell in america.

I thought it was GM-DAT? GME is doing Epsilon.

I thought it was GM-DAT? GME is doing Epsilon.

Yeah, I heard GM-DAT is doing the development with a lot of input from GMNA and GME.

Yeah, I heard GM-DAT is doing the development with a lot of input from GMNA and GME.

As the article says,

"It’s being developed by GM’s South Korean unit, with considerable input from North America and Europe."

So it's reasonable to assume over the next few years there will probably be Daewoo, Chevrolet, (and Pontiac ?) badged versions of this model. And the next Astra on this platform will be in Opel, Vauxhall, Holden and Saturn flavors, I presume.

And maybe a SAAB 9-1. And probably a Buick Excelle for China. And add a big chrome grille for a HUMMER H4 version (J/K). :)

Edited by moltar

As the article says,

"It’s being developed by GM’s South Korean unit, with considerable input from North America and Europe."

So it's reasonable to assume over the next few years there will probably be Daewoo, Chevrolet, Pontiac, Saturn, Vauxhall, Opel, and Holden badged versions of this model.

I think that's a stretch--Opel and Saturn (and Vauxhall) are getting the Astra from the same platform, though Holden will probably get both this and the Astra.

Looks photoshopped.

Or it's still a mule with poorly fitting body parts and fixtures.

I think that's a stretch--Opel and Saturn (and Vauxhall) are getting the Astra from the same platform, though Holden will probably get both this and the Astra.

I got the impression this is the next Astra also? (Or on a shared platform with it?)

I'm baffled by how (according to the article), production won't start until Mid 2010, when the portotypes are this far along.

I got the impression this is the next Astra also? (Or on a shared platform with it?)

Astra is sharing a platform, as is the Saab 9-1 (or the NG Saab 9-3 range, if one believes the rumours that it will be on DeltaII instead of a shorter EpII).

Astra is sharing a platform, as is the Saab 9-1 (or the NG Saab 9-3 range, if one believes the rumours that it will be on DeltaII instead of a shorter EpII).

So Saturn will probably have it's Astra version. I wonder if their will be a Pontiac G5 and it will be badge engineered from the Chevy or more differentiated than the current model.

Edited by moltar

So Saturn will probably have it's Astra version. I wonder if their will be a Pontiac G5 and it will be badge engineered from the Chevy or more differentiated...

Considering how good the propotions are, if they gave it unique styling, maybe AWD, and performance tuning/engines it could work. The cyrrent car is a joke, since it doesn't even get a GXP version...the Chevy is the sportier car.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor