Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
InvictaMan

Caddy Lambda confirmed

49 posts in this topic

Apparently the downsizing continues and two Lambdas are getting the ax. Must be Outlook and Acadia with huge Enclave sales.

Link To LeftLane Article.

Acadia has been selling really well, though!

Yeah but it and the Saturn are by far the ugliest of the bunch. GMC needs to either make real trucks or die. Another reason why Pontiac should have a Theta. Caddy can have a Lambda but a out for an Escalade that is nuts.

Edited by gm4life

Acadia has been selling really well, though!

Article says one, maybe two. We've known for some time now that the Outlook was on death row. Who knows, maybe the Acadia will survive. But three high end, or should I say expensive, Lambdas? GMC crossovers seem like Cadillac trucks, kind of out of place. GMC is the "professional truck" brand, they should stick to trucks and let the "car" companies sell cars and crossovers. JMHO.

Edited by InvictaMan

Great, more FWD for Cadillac. Just when you think the brand is about to become the Standard of the World again with the CTS/CTS-V, they shoot themselves in the foot. First with the FWD/AWD replacement for the SRX and now this. The Lambdas are good, but the platform shouldn't be whored out from everything from a Chevy to a Cadillac...again. GM never learns.

On another note, if they plan to close down GMC it would make sense that the Acadia would get the axe.

Edited by Dodgefan

Hmmm...I don't know about the FWD, since the big-league luxury SUVs are all still RWD based (X5, ML, GL, Range Rover, etc). But it would be nice to see something less truckish and obese for the big Caddy SUV. I'd rather have seen the SRX be redesigned and be the top of the line Caddy SUV.

Edited by moltar

Hey Chris, is this story true? :P

I would guess GMC and Saturn don't have replacements on Lambda.

Hey Chris, is this story true? :P

The story is brimming with truthiness, yes. :D

Am I the only one that remembers evok suggesting a turbo or twin-turbo 400hp Lambda-based Cadillac?

Edited by ZL-1

if outlook gets axed.... that would leave Saturn with 3 models... sounds familiar with Buick, Pontiac (pretty much)

if outlook gets axed.... that would leave Saturn with 3 models... sounds familiar with Buick, Pontiac (pretty much)

Isn't it 4? Astra, Aura, Vue, Sky.

This would be a good move to compete with the upcomming Lincoln MKT (D472).

(I know the MKT will compete more with the Enclave, but anyone cross shopping may also consider an even more luxed out Lambda.)

mkt.jpg

As long as it looks more mini-Escalade than Traverse + Cadillac grill, I guess it's ok. Two-mode will be available at the outset, yes?

This does sound like a good idea. By the time this rolls around, the Lambda Caddy very well could be the Escalade replacement. Good more and good planning.

Outlook is out of place in its brand and needs to go. I don't think there is much argument there.

Acadia may be doing OK now, but wait until the Traverse gets here. Plus, in my opinion, I think it's time for GMC to close it's doors too.

Two-mode will be available at the outset, yes?

Too soon to say...this vehicle is still 3-4 years out.

Isn't it 4? Astra, Aura, Vue, Sky.

i forgot about sky! damn.

If this is simply the next Escalade (which would make sense if it's 3-4 years away, the Escalade will be 5 or 6 years old then. There's nothing wrong with it being on Lambda, hopefully AWD is standard, though. In a vehicle that big, I don't think it much matters what the drive wheels are, it's not going to handle too great...

I think they should keep the Outlook. It's obviously not too expensive to develop and the 3k or so they sell a month isn't much less than the Aura and probably 2k of those would be going to the Pilot or Highlander. May no seem like much, but Saturn is going to take some time to grow.

So when 2012 rolls around, could the redesigned Traverse be the Tahoe/Burb's replacement?

Sorry to change the subject like that, I was just wondering.

Edited by 2chevs

So when 2012 rolls around, could the redesigned Traverse be the Tahoe/Burb's replacement?

Sorry to change the subject like that, I was just wondering.

I would guess GM will keep one of them (Tahoe/Burb) for people who actually need them to tow, etc.

So now 2 FWDs for the "Standard of the World" brand, huh? How about they just make the next CTS and DTS on Epsilon and completely castrate Caddy.

:censored: ridiculous.

this is what I said about it at Cz28

keep the escalade flavor alive and you will retain the world class status of the product, loosen anything that makes it a star against competitors and you will lose the one true pillar Cadillac has. Escalade succeeds on the basis of its design more than anything, it's an elegant, rugged, attack-all-paths of life, bold, ostentatious, yet still refined and sophisticated machine with dramatic curb appeal. it's the big truck that makes you feel strong while showing you've arrived. lose any of that with lambda, or don't improve on that formula with lambda and you can kiss any equity cadillac has goodbye. yes the cadillac brand is in danger of losing relevance as it is now since their one true calling card is the Cadillac SUV. No, the sedans aren't enough at this point. they will need to hope the upcoming big sedan, CTS wagon and coupe are enough to keep them in the limelight. the SRX replacement on Theta-Epsilon looks weak, not something you should associate with a Cadillac and not something a large segment of luxury SUV owners want. the cheaper rigs can pull off the girly, less muscular look and still get away with some segment of the pie, but the real leaders have a lot of power to thier look. my opinion may change on that upon seeing it in person.

Escalade will need to retain that powerful look, with the unmistakable Cadillac fascia and presence, and retain elements of ride/handling and power that have helped Escalade succeed in the past. Escalade should go for the bank, modify the existing [Lambda or whichever] platform to include all aluminum construction, make it truly deserving of the Cadillac name, go for supreme handling prowess. If they want to truly take on the BMW name that's what they must do. IF they want to be a slightly better Lincoln, go on and do exactly what Lincoln will be doing, rebadge a FWD/AWD platform with some meaningful style changes and absolutely no enhancement to the underlying driving experience that defines a product and brand.

Cadillac used to be the star of the GM fold, the one that was actually being managed to compete with the best offered in America and abroad. So far they've had little success, measurable but small compared to how far the other brands have come through successful product introductions. The brand has been left behind, and GM's money problems have as much to do with it now as incompetence had to do with it in 2001-2006.

Ultimately, I'd rather them keep the existing Escalade longer, rack up the profits elsewhere, and revisit the Escalade brand when resources are plentiful and Cadillac can be restored to dignity, Escalade and CTS aside.

So now 2 FWDs for the "Standard of the World" brand, huh? How about they just make the next CTS and DTS on Epsilon and completely castrate Caddy.

:censored: ridiculous.

you got it man. the sorry thing for GM is this could be one more move that portends to a drastic downsizing. clearly they are short for cash. the other carmakers, MB and BMW, are going to stick to the driveline that has given thier vehicles reputations around the world for great suspension/handling and good looks. they are just going to evolve the tech to the point where they can still do it in America and around the world.

nobody said the luxury market was going to crumble anytime soon because of gas prices.

EDIT: if they cancel Acadia they lose GMC's current high volume SUV and the biggest selling Lambda. It will be interesting to see how this one plays out. With gas prices, they are definitely regretting doing so many Lambdas now.

Edited by turbo200

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0