dwightlooi

Rename the CRUZE

84 posts in this topic

The Cruze is a nice enough car. Unlike some others I think the styling is nice and clean for the most parts and the interior is a huge leap forward for Chevy. I have some reservations about a 1.4T being more economical than a 1.8 DI, but at least it serves to differentiate the car from the flock.

However, there is nothing to like about the lame name that sounds like "Curse" or (Tom) "Cruise". So, I am proposing that we come up with some alternative names for this bread and butter Chevy of the future.

I propose that Chevy name all their mainstream vehicles after places or cities. There is already some sort of a tradition in that direction -- Malibu, Tahoe, Colorado, etc. Naming vehicles after American cities makes them sound American and this is also an unpretentious, unsnobbish way of naming products.

For a compact car designed for fuel economy and with a focus on urban driving in mind, why not Chevy Manhattan?

I think Nova would have been a good name... like Malibu and Impala, it's a long time Chevy name with a good image overall...

I think Nova would have been a good name...

+1

*Waits for some uneducated individual to post their "nova means 'no go' in Spanish" rebuttal.*

I'm already seeing Cruze misspelled a lot by regular people... "Cruize, Cruse" etc. That's the problem with taking a real word, and purposely misspelling it to try to make it cool. It's not cool, it's misspelled. It's not really a big deal, but they could certainly pick a better name.

Nova seems good. If not for the overlap with the Cobalt, and an apparently higher price, I'd say they should stick with that name. I'll have to think of more...

how about the Chevy Con, lol KAHN!!!! then hopefully in reviews after Pros, next to Cons: the name, the price. that's it.

I'm already seeing Cruze misspelled a lot by regular people... "Cruize, Cruse" etc. That's the problem with taking a real word, and purposely misspelling it to try to make it cool. It's not cool, it's misspelled. It's not really a big deal, but they could certainly pick a better name.

Nova seems good. If not for the overlap with the Cobalt, and an apparently higher price, I'd say they should stick with that name. I'll have to think of more...

I would assume the Cruze won't overlap w/ the Cobalt, won't it replace the Cobalt for NA?

Nova doesn't work in Spanish speaking countries, GM went down that road before. They should just call it Cobalt, so they aren't changing names with every new model launch. Civic and Corolla have been around 35 years or so, people know what they are. Chevy's small car in 2030 should still be Cobalt.

Nova doesn't work in Spanish speaking countries, GM went down that road before. They should just call it Cobalt, so they aren't changing names with every new model launch. Civic and Corolla have been around 35 years or so, people know what they are. Chevy's small car in 2030 should still be Cobalt.

Cobalt would be consistent with Civic and Corolla--- C-segment cars with C-names (not that there is any significance to that factoid). As far as 'Nova' not working in Spanish speaking countries, that is an urban legend, not fact.

Corvair is just not appropriate.

The Cruze is not rear engined, not air-cooled, does not have a

semi-exotic and super-efficiently packaged flat-six and is not

even RWD, Nova would not be a bad choice I guess.

Manhattan: too upscale & reminds of alcohol.

SMK has an excellent point. I've said the same for years.

Manhattan: too upscale & reminds of alcohol.

That's funny - it made me think of food. (Turkey Manhattan) :lol:

Manhattan makes me think either "cocktail" or "nuclear weapon" while Cobalt makes me think of the big box of Crayola crayons.

Manhattan makes me think either "cocktail" or "nuclear weapon" while Cobalt makes me think of the big box of Crayola crayons.

Oooh, there's a good point - it'd be fun to modify a car called the Manhattan & get to call it the "Manhattan Project". :D I could forsee that being overdone to the point of being sickening, though, and a buncha people running around with radiation symbols on their cars (and almost as many mis-labelling theirs with biohazard labels. lol)

Didn't Scion offer a Bio-Hazard applique on the xB? I know they had the big fingerprint, which just seemed weird because the supposed goal for Scion drivers was for them to be different, yet I assume every car sold with that graphic had the same fingerprint.

Nova doesn't work in Spanish speaking countries, GM went down that road before.

*Waits for some uneducated individual to post their "nova means 'no go' in Spanish" rebuttal.*

Thank you! :rolleyes:

For a compact car designed for fuel economy and with a focus on urban driving in mind, why not Chevy Manhattan?

The car's development could be referred to as the Manhattan project and a model specific insignia would look like:

AtomicBombCloud2.jpg

Honestly, Cruze REALLY sucks. Even Cobalt is better than Cruze. I'll rather stay in the periodic table and pick another metal or something. Nicer elemental names include:-

At (85) - Astatine

Os (76) - Osmium

Pm (61) - Promethium

Ir (77) - Iridium

Xe (54) - Xenon

Y (39) - Yttrium

Of these... I think Chevy Iridium sound the best.

along the lines of the last three posts:

One day I was delivering Chinese food (like a year ago)

and this guy gives me a nice tip, happens to have a big

driveway with mostly if not all GMCs & Pontiacs.

I complement him on his all American driveway and all

of a sudden I glance at his t-shirt which shows a

mushroom cloud with the stereotypical asian-restaurant

font on top saying:

The Atom Bomb: Developed in the USA, tested in Japan.

I found this hilarious (if a bit dark) and mentioned it to a

friend (and motorcycle enthusiast) who told me of an old

T-shirt he used to have that showed a world map with a

bunch of BMW emblems all over the place...

(mostly Europe, Russia & North Africa)

the caption down bottom said:

BMW world tour: 1939 to 1945 :mind-blowing:

The car's development could be referred to as the Manhattan project and a model specific insignia would look like:

AtomicBombCloud2.jpg

That's actually relatively cool. Better than looking like GM product planners flunked out of grammar school and can't even spell Cruise.

Honestly, Cruze REALLY sucks. Even Cobalt is better than Cruze. I'll rather stay in the periodic table and pick another metal or something. Nicer elemental names include:-

At (85) - Astatine

Os (76) - Osmium

Pm (61) - Promethium

Ir (77) - Iridium

Xe (54) - Xenon

Y (39) - Yttrium

Of these... I think Chevy Iridium sound the best.

You know, I read this post and then began to realize that the name "Cobalt" sounds maybe a little too close to "Neon" (both are elements of the periodic table after all).

I didn't like Cobalt when it came out..but it grew on me.

I'm getting used to Cruze already.....

Well since it was designed and engineered by GME, I think they should call it the Chevy Europa.

I believe your friends at Lotus might have something to say about that. :wink:

Edited by YellowJacket894

I believe your friends at Lotus might have something to say about that. :wink:

Screw them, GM should have never sold them. I will see them once again under GM, cough, cough, GME. If it's the last thing I do.

Cruze is stupid - my hatred of the name hasn't worn off in the two months we've known about it. There's really no glaring reason to get rid of Cobalt, and I don't see a problem with calling it Cobalt across the globe.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor