Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

BLIND DATE SURPRISE

You met someone for a blind date.

It knocked your socks off, they were great. But, you decided, you'll both go home separate....tonight. You walk out to the parking lot of the Olive Garden together, only to find out she (he?) drives a...........

(insert car here).

Did it just burst your bubble?

For example, if i were single and needed to blind date, if i had the best of dates and went back out to find that this person drove a Camry or CRv or Subaru, I think that would be a major sign to hightail out of the relationship.

Conversely, if this woman is driving a new G8 GXP, then I think it may be heaven on earth.

What car in your potential blind date mate makes you run away!?

Seeing a G8 GXP would certainly get my attention, but most cars I would simply note and then ignore. Oh I'd say something eventually, but it really wouldn't have much bearing on the relationship.

EDIT: Cars figure hugely in my life, but I recognize that such is not the case for many folks.

another car that would make me run, a Yaris or just about anything with DEM bumper stickers on it.

the second half. lol

I don't think i'd have much in common with them if that were the case.

a big plus if they drove a pre wbody car... pre 88. i'm kinda thinking a G-body or A body....as long as it wasn't a total POS on the outside.

a killer would prolly be a prius or other way over hyped car....aka spent way more money than was needed. but maybe she's just loaded...i wouldn't be against that. lol

It wouldn't bother me, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't give her a hard time about it every chance I got, jokingly of course.

Wouldn't bother me, but any sort of Republican bumper stickers would make me run screaming.. :)

I had a g/f for several years that had pretty cool taste in cars, IMHO--she had a Jeep Wrangler and a BMW 328 Ci, both manuals. Another woman I dated had a green '97 Camry. My g/f (later fiancee) in grad school drove a '92 Corolla. My most recent g/f drove an RX300.

It wouldn't bother me, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't give her a hard time about it every chance I got, jokingly of course.

Agreed. My other half of 12 years now was driving a Tercel when we met. :thumbsdown::censored:

It was traded in '03 for a brand new Century and likely that will be traded in '09 for a brand new Malibu.

Look at it as an opportunity to properly educate. :AH-HA_wink:

Look, I am living with someone who was raised Jehovah's Witness - and I am an atheist, so I can overlook pretty much anything. I wouldn't hold what car they WERE driving before we met against them. Now, if he bought a Camry/Yaris/SmartCar/Fit/Versa/Ridgeline/Element or anything from Hyundai/Kia AFTER we met - well, that would be grounds for divorce.

Agreed. My other half of 12 years now was driving a Tercel when we met. :thumbsdown::censored:

It was traded in '03 for a brand new Century and likely that will be traded in '09 for a brand new Malibu.

Look at it as an opportunity to properly educate. :AH-HA_wink:

:yes:

First off, I don't do blind dates. :lol:

When I met my wife, she didn't have a car. During our engagement, she bought her '95 Intrepid that died during our first year of marriage.

She had always said, though, that she wanted a Corolla due to the reliability. But she herself was the one who decided not to get one because "it was boring."

:wub:

A car wouldn't deter me from dating someone. If things progressed and I was dating the person, then I might make a comment and try to influence them to change vehicles.

A car wouldn't deter me from dating someone. If things progressed and I was dating the person, then I might make a comment and try to influence them to change vehicles.

+1

Chris :convertible:

+1

...almost...if she has hips so big that she can't fit in my Miata or in a Solstice...that is a BAD sign.

My friend Steve had that problem...his ex had rather, um wide hips and he was afraid she'd damage the passenger seat in his NSX (which has snug seats).

Actually there is a very famouns 68 or so Dodge Dart Hemi GTS pro street ragtop that was on the cover of Car Craft or Hot Rod a few years back...and then fell into decay...and then was restored to its former ground pounding glory.

Apparently the roll cage in the car was taken out when one of the owners wives was too big to fit in the car with the cage.

I actually like my females curvy. But not "huge"

Chris

My current dream girl is restoring a 1984 Camaro Z28 (her third 'maro).

It just went into winter storage, and she now drives a 1997 Nissan Sentra winter beater.

Doesn't bother me one bit.

Both stick BTW. 8)

Nice.....

A buddy of mine has two Camaros (68-his 02 SS-hers), and they love their cars...

They've raced each other on the dragstrip before..... :yes:

>>"You walk out to the parking lot of the Olive Garden together, only to find out she (he?) drives a (insert car here).

Did it just burst your bubble?"<<

Depends; how nice is her rack ?

Seriously- no; doesn't matter. I'd certainly note it mentally, and over the long term I might 'work' on that, but initially it doesn't mean anything.

It would certainly be noted mentally and brought up in conversation at an appropriate moment if he's driving a Toyota product. Any wrong bumper stickers, though, and it's off.

I saw two Prius' this week with McCain/Palin stickers. Shocking.:)

Oh, yeah, here's another one that might be inconceivable to you....unless you live on the "Left Coast:"

"eeew, you like American cars?"

I've actually heard that before.

Not on a date, but I've heard that from coworkers before once they've gotten to know me. At the last place I was, there was subtle peer pressure from my team and management to drive a Toyota... (across the company, there were several Priuses, Camrys, a Matrix, an FJ Cruiser, etc).

Not on a date, but I've heard that from coworkers before once they've gotten to know me. At the last place I was, there was subtle peer pressure from my team and management to drive a Toyota... (across the company, there were several Priuses, Camrys, a Matrix, an FJ Cruiser, etc).

How seriously messed up. Unbelievable. That's almost kind of a liberal brand of "packaging."

I had a friend who went to Berkeley who said "how can a place be liberal when it has a list of 'shoulds' as long as your arm?"

I've never gotten grief for my car. In fact, people at more than one employer have made fun of my cars all in "good fun"...the burgundy interior in the Regal or the trademark "loose pillow" seats in my mid-80s Cutlass Brougham coupe. However, I have gotten flack for NOT wanting to go eat spicy Southeast Asian food. Sorry, but Thai or Vietnamese or Indian food makes me gag...and I've gone home sick within 2 hours after eating it. It's almost as if I'm not cool or even ethnocentric because I tend to eat Italian, American or Greek food practically all the time.

Back to cars...

Edited by trinacriabob

EDIT: Cars figure hugely in my life, but I recognize that such is not the case for many folks.

Exactly.

Though ... if it was a car that made my skin crawl, I might say something jokingly ... and see how she takes it....

*shrugs*

Course, that would mean someone would want to date me...he heh.

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ... & I approve this post

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy" ... Eagles ... 'Take It Easy'

Aww... WMJ and KF... don't worry, sirs.

Bob, you should buy that '75 Cutlass Supreme you've had your eye on, stick the hairiest, Golden Rocket 455 you can find under the hood, and sling molten rubber all down the side of those weenie ass Prius'. Moltie, maybe a spray of gravel from all four wheels of your GC would do the trick.:smilewide:

>>"You walk out to the parking lot of the Olive Garden together, only to find out she (he?) drives a (insert car here).

Did it just burst your bubble?"<<

Depends; how nice is her rack ?

Seriously- no; doesn't matter. I'd certainly note it mentally, and over the long term I might 'work' on that, but initially it doesn't mean anything.

I am more of an ass-man myself, although breasts definitely count bigtime!

Chris

A memeber of the local TDI drivers club also owns a Mitsubishi product (E-Clipse) and wondered why I liked American cars. I pointed out that a used C5 Z06 would trump his E-Clipse pretty much 100% and would have actually been cheaper and faster than his car plus his mods.

He pretty much shut up and agreed after that.

Chris :unitedstates:

How seriously messed up. Unbelievable. That's almost kind of a liberal brand of "packaging."

I had a friend who went to Berkeley who said "how can a place be liberal when it has a list of 'shoulds' as long as your arm?"

I've never gotten grief for my car. In fact, people at more than one employer have made fun of my cars all in "good fun"...the burgundy interior in the Regal or the trademark "loose pillow" seats in my mid-80s Cutlass Brougham coupe. However, I have gotten flack for NOT wanting to go eat spicy Southeast Asian food. Sorry, but Thai or Vietnamese or Indian food makes me gag...and I've gone home sick within 2 hours after eating it. It's almost as if I'm not cool or even ethnocentric because I tend to eat Italian, American or Greek food practically all the time.

Back to cars...

I am almost the opposite. I like Thia, Vietnamese, or Chinese,a dn I like it hot. Usually I just tell the waitstaff to add enough spice to melt the plate,the table, and then set my shoe laces on fire. And then I add spice after that.

But I love Italian and Greek also.

Chris

I am almost the opposite. I like Thia, Vietnamese, or Chinese,a dn I like it hot. Usually I just tell the waitstaff to add enough spice to melt the plate,the table, and then set my shoe laces on fire. And then I add spice after that.

But I love Italian and Greek also.

Chris

Heh-heh...I'm like that also...some of favorite cuisines are Thai, Vietnamese, Chinese and Indian, and I like it hot. I like sushi also.... but I love Italian, Greek, and other Mediterranean/N. African cuisines (Lebanese, Moroccan, Israeli, Persian, Ethiopian, etc...). Like German and French as well, and good old 'mercun (esp. the various regional BBQ dishes) and Mexican/SW cuisine.

One of the many reasons I could never go rural is I like having a wide variety of cuisines close by..

Edited by moltar

I found a connection between the people I dated and their cars over the years. If they drove a nice car, I didn't care too much about the person...not a long-term connection. But if they drove something less special (Tempo, Chevette, etc), then they were worth keeping.

Heh-heh...I'm like that also...some of favorite cuisines are Thai, Vietnamese, Chinese and Indian, and I like it hot. I like sushi also.... but I love Italian, Greek, and other Mediterranean/N. African cuisines (Lebanese, Moroccan, Israeli, Persian, Ethiopian, etc...). Like German and French as well, and good old 'mercun and Mexican/SW cuisine.

One of the many reasons I could never go rural is I like having a wide variety of cuisines close by..

What kind of cuisine DON'T you like? You've named most of them...:lol: