avant1963

Not recommending GM cars anymore

64 posts in this topic

Short story.

Friend needs a new car. Wife wants Nissan. He wants GM. I recommend a 2009 Malibu.

100 miles and Malibu is dieing. Goes into Limp-home mode on the NJ Parkway. Dealership not too sure what happened or what's wrong.

Sorry GM. I can't recommend your vehicles any more. My 2006 G6 was the worst car I ever owned and my 2006 Malibu just had the radiator replaced for a leak at 24,000 miles. That on top of the 4 other times I needed to go to the dealership with the Malibu. The 2009 Malibu is supposed to be the new GM, and chances are my friend got the one lemon in 10,000, but I still feel like an ass for recommending it.

Hate to see you go, but have fun in bankruptcy.

Well $h!, that sucks for your friend I really feel for him. Maybe he'll get lucky and it'll get "Lemon Lawed"- keep us posted.

Short story.

Friend needs a new car. Wife wants Nissan. He wants GM. I recommend a 2009 Malibu.

100 miles and Malibu is dieing. Goes into Limp-home mode on the NJ Parkway. Dealership not too sure what happened or what's wrong.

Sorry GM. I can't recommend your vehicles any more. My 2006 G6 was the worst car I ever owned and my 2006 Malibu just had the radiator replaced for a leak at 24,000 miles. That on top of the 4 other times I needed to go to the dealership with the Malibu. The 2009 Malibu is supposed to be the new GM, and chances are my friend got the one lemon in 10,000, but I still feel like an ass for recommending it.

Hate to see you go, but have fun in bankruptcy.

I feel the same way. Not for reliability issues, but for every other boneheaded move GM makes.

Not to sound like a Kool Aid Drinker, but have you thought that maybe your friend got some bad gas or something that caused the limp mode to kick in?

I need more information as to why the car went that way!

I'm with toesuf on this one--more info needs to be obtained.

As for the G6...well, I've been pretty vocal on my feelings of that car on this site. Caveat emptor.

Seeing that it's whatever gas the dealer put in, have no idea. The car isn't a week old yet.

He's going to call me when they finally make a decision what is wrong. So far it is either a throttle body or a main computer or both.

Hmmm. That's odd, but the new Malibus certainly don't have a bad rep, so hopefully this is a one-time problem, and he has many happy years of driving to look forward to.

4-cylinder or 3.6?

Both engines have been pretty well shaken down.... I'm surprised to hear this.

4 banger/6 speed

They replaced the computer. He said they called GM, and that was were they think the problem came from. We'll see if it happens again.

No matter what, my confidence has been shaken.

4 banger/6 speed

They replaced the computer. He said they called GM, and that was were they think the problem came from. We'll see if it happens again.

No matter what, my confidence has been shaken.

Honestly, I'd much rather have a car that needs to be fixed sooner rather than later. And a bad computer? Those are rare, and an easy fix. Keep us updated; I'm not easily impressed, but I have only one complaint about the new Malibu: no rear seat armrest. Other than that, no flaws I can find.

Bum luck?

I mean, these things will happen to a few people out there, regardless of the manufacturer. On the flip-side, we also own a runabout 2004 Chevy Optra5 developed through GMDAT out of Korea. You can start thinking up your horror stories, but the fact is the car hasn't visited the dealership for anything mechanically wrong (knock on wood). I'm guessing there are significantly more better-running Malibus out there than there are ones in your situation. These things happen?

Well I have two 08 Chevys with nary a problem quality or other wise.

I had one TSB done on the HHR at my request where GM did a quality upgrade for the power brakes on the turbo engine with a electric vacuume pump. Brakes are at full boot now at start up after sitting for days. The same upgrade is available for the Solstice and Sky Turbo.

The other is a 08 3.6 Bu and it has been flawless for my mom. I never thought I would like the car but I love driving it more than my 04 GTP.

Nissan dealers also have service department and they also have new cars in getting thing fixed too. They are far from the Maytag man. Right now you may think the grass is greener over there but it is no greener.

Edited by hyperv6

If only the folk who had transmission failures, cracked frames or engines sludged --or any number of other defects & shortcomings-- would stop recommending toyotas.

If only the folk who had transmission failures, cracked frames or engines sludged --or any number of other defects & shortcomings-- would stop recommending toyotas.

Ah you forgot the Tundra crank failures! That was a good one. :thumbsup:

dont forget the wildcard steering and acceleration problems

Wow... sad day indeed when this is posted on a GM forum.

Sadder day still when it's posted by the founding member.

Damn straight. :angry:

Last time I recommended a GM, they bought an Acura instead. And the Acura has treated them very, very well.

I dont try to force my acquaintances into a purchase because, frankly, thats a dick move. If they ask my opinion, I'll give it, and if they ask about my experiences with new Toyotas, they'll get it. I've had no problems with the Prius or any of the Tundras I've driven at work.

I can't blame him for not waiting to recommend GM anymore. He's had 3 bad experiences in a row now. Whether this one is just a lemon, a fluke, or not it's still very frustrating.

Wow... sad day indeed when this is posted on a GM forum.

Sadder day still when it's posted by the founding member.

Damn straight. :angry:

It's even sadder that in this day, when GM is supposed to be having the best quality it's very had that avant1963 has had to deal with quality problems 3 times on 3 different cars.

But it's not GM's fault right? Let's just keep pointing figures and making excuses as to why this is OK. :rolleyes:

If I bough 3 new Chryslers and every one of them had problems, especially within a week of purchase, yeah I'd be feeling the same way.

My '03 ION went back to the dealer like 6 times in the 9 months I had it. My '04 Colorado went back twice for very minor issues over 3 years. My '07 Sierra went back because the carpet at the transmission tunnel area was bunched and wouldn't lay flat. My '09 Cobalt has not been back to the dealer for anything yet, 4600 miles so far.

I recommend GM trucks. And the Buicks and Cadillacs. Some of the base Chevy's such as Aveo and Cobalts get poor marks as does Equinox. Impalas. Grand Prix, Lacrosse and Lucerne get good marks according to Consumer's reports. You have to look at the averages and not one bad experience in choosing a car. Nissans have very poor reliability also. Do a YAHOO search of "Ill never buy a Nissan again". Interesting.

I recommend GM trucks. And the Buicks and Cadillacs. Some of the base Chevy's such as Aveo and Cobalts get poor marks as does Equinox. Impalas. Grand Prix, Lacrosse and Lucerne get good marks according to Consumer's reports. You have to look at the averages and not one bad experience in choosing a car. Nissans have very poor reliability also. Do a YAHOO search of "Ill never buy a Nissan again". Interesting.

The Impala is just fine... If CR has a problem they can see me about it.

Walt isn't the only one who's had to deal with G6 issues -- when we had ours, it was constantly in the shop for problems with the steering system. GM's electronic steering system is true junk. And our Impala before that, well, I'm certain the transmission was ready to buy the farm before we traded it off.

Our Aura has been reliable so far, however, knock on wood.

And I'm disappointed that my Sonoma is beginning to deteriorate at only 118,000 miles.

GM's never going to build 'em as good as they built my '72 Cutlass again.

Again, not to be insulting, but with regards to the G6: you DID test drive it and research it prior to buying/leasing it right? You weren't one of Oprah's "winners," right?

The G6 does not have that quality feel to it. I would expect it to be a POS. The new Malibu, on the other hand, would surprise me if it had widespread problems because it actually seems like a great little car.

So no, it isn't that it isn't GM's fault, I just don't think the comparison is valid. On the one hand, you have the 2003 Malibu and G6, which have been eviscerated in almost every car review they have been in, and then you have the new Malibu, which has received near-universal praise. Two completely different situations, IMO.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor