GM list of intros for L.A. auto show

Trimnell1

http://media.gm.com/servlet/GatewayServlet...n=2&docid=21427

I'm really looking forward to seeing the Solstice GXP, especially now after my dealership just recieved three Solstices tonight and this was my second time sitting in a production model. I could have bought the one unsold Sly (dark gray) Solstice if I wanted to put a deposit down to hold it or if I wanted to do a deal tonight, but I would much rather have the GDI turbo engine GXP over the base model anyday. They have a waiting list of people so someone will probably buy it tomorrow.

Does anyone else think the Solstice GXP is the production Pontiac they were talking about? That would be slightly disappointing, but only slightly because I know it's what I should have expected. The new Aveo will be there, along with the Sub and Yukon XL. Pretty boring list compared to what will decidedly be an amazing year at NAIAS.

Does anyone else think the Solstice GXP is the production Pontiac they were talking about? That would be slightly disappointing, but only slightly because I know it's what I should have expected. The new Aveo will be there, along with the Sub and Yukon XL. Pretty boring list compared to what will decidedly be an amazing year at NAIAS.

[post="58416"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Just a thought, though a dissapointing one, the new production Pontiac could be the G3, rebadged new Aveo.

Yes, the production Pontiac is the Solstice GXP, but I hear there may be a few surprises throughout the show scene. The GXP will have a turbo charged 2.0l engine making between 250hp and 260hp. This is information that is easily available online, by the way.

I've finally seen a Solstice up and close (I do weekend security at a VERY large dealership here; Hummer,Honda,Pontiac,GMC and Buick) and i've seen a black Solstice there...STUNNING car and to me deserved the COTY award alot more than the new civic..although the new coupe looks really nice even if the sedan looks highly akward, oh and theres lil' i'd change on the Solstice. That stance and styling exacution though..WOW.

The GXP will have a turbo charged 2.0l engine making between 250hp and 260hp. This is information that is easily available online, by the way.

[post="58460"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

In-freaking-sane! Boxster and Z4 fanatics should be scared. Very scared.

Ahh, i'm glad GM is finding the turbo-religion! I'm not a big fan of the supercharger quite as much. I think the turbo gasoline engine is what is going to carry us forward until we get to hydrogen. You get the big boost of power when you need it, and the 4-cyl economy when you don't. Plus it's much lighter weight than adding a 6 or 8 cylinder. I personally feel that pontiac should have a motor similar to this in the G6 instead of a big 3.9l (that gets pretty poor mileage, even for a performance application).

I've finally seen a Solstice up and close (I do weekend security at a VERY large dealership here; Hummer,Honda,Pontiac,GMC and Buick) and i've seen a black Solstice there...STUNNING car and to me deserved the COTY award alot more than the new civic..although the new coupe looks really nice even if the sedan looks highly akward, oh and theres lil' i'd change on the Solstice. That stance and styling exacution though..WOW.

[post="58527"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

But it's not a Honda, therefore it doesn't count.

The Solstice GXP sounds GREAT! Wish Pontiac did have a surprise for us though...

Will the Yukon XL Denali also be at LA? (I assume it will be)

LOL "Pontiac's renaissance zooms forward..." a pun on mazda maybe?!?!?! LOL.

Kinda boring overall.... GM should've taken this opportunity to INCREASE their exposure in that market IMO.

Other cars that NEED the GXP motor = Cobalt & HHR IMO.

The Solstice GXP sounds GREAT! Wish Pontiac did have a surprise for us though...

Kinda boring overall.... GM should've taken this opportunity to INCREASE their exposure in that market IMO.

[post="58712"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Ahh, maybe it's the other way around. Look at a later year 1992 Pontiac brochure and look at the last page. What do you see? A preview of a RED 1993 Trans Am with a tag line like "....zooming to a dealer near you soon" or something to that effect. When I get home I will have to pull out the brochure and double check the tag line. Everytime I see those lame zoom zoom Mazda commercials I think how they sort of ripped off that tag line from Pontiac's brochure. My 93 TA is the original zoom zoom if you know what I mean.

Edit: spelling. Edited by prinzSD

the turbo will be spread across to the others, i.e. cobalt and saturn redline, if that's still in production for some time. that will make cobalt ss sc deadly.

[post="58546"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

But then it won't be the SS SC, it'll be the SS TC :P

I expect the Sky Redline to get the same engine and I wouldn't be surprised to see the HHR get it as well. I wouldn't mind seeing the VUE RL getting it instead of the Honda motor, and an Equinox SS with it would be fun. GM should spread the engine around to a lot of vehicles, IMO.

Ahh, i'm glad GM is finding the turbo-religion!  I'm not a big fan of the supercharger quite as much.  I think the turbo gasoline engine is what is going to carry us forward until we get to hydrogen.  You get the big boost of power when you need it, and the 4-cyl economy when you don't.  Plus it's much lighter weight than adding a 6 or 8 cylinder.  I personally feel that pontiac should have a motor similar to this in the G6 instead of a big 3.9l (that gets pretty poor mileage, even for a performance application).

[post="58703"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yeah but just wait until you have to replace it, because turbos are considered,
"expendable hardware", like oil filters, spark plugs, etc.
If people don't become religious on maintaining their air filter, the turbo will get
worn out ---- until they start making ceramic impellers!

There's really only one downside to the turbo, well two if you're going to be really nit-picky, the one being that it takes so much away from the engine oil supply by making so much doggoned heat that it really breaks down oil. And another thing is like rkm said, its considered expendable, just like an oil filter, meanwhile a supercharger isn't as susceptible to the impact that a turbo has, and well, there's no lag.

Thanks for posting that AAS, the LA Auto Show site kind of let the cat out of the bag on the Solstice GXP power numbers. 260HP and 260 lb-ft. SWEET! Edit: The power to weight ratio of the Solstice GXP (assuming 2900lbs) will be pretty similar to the LS1 GTO, which does 0-60 in 5.3 and the 1/4 mile in about 13.6 at 105MPH. For comparison, the S2000 does 0-60 in 5.8 and the 1/4 mile in 14.2 at about 100MPH. Imagine the look on the owner of a $45k+ Z4 that gets dusted by a Solstice :D

Thanks for posting that AAS, the LA Auto Show site kind of let the cat out of the bag on the Solstice GXP power numbers. 260HP and 260 lb-ft. SWEET!

[post="62260"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

your'e welcome... I didn't even bother looking at the caption for the GXP. Good catch!

There's really only one downside to the turbo, well two if you're going to be really nit-picky, the one being that it takes so much away from the engine oil supply by making so much doggoned heat that it really breaks down oil.  And another thing is like rkm said, its considered expendable, just like an oil filter, meanwhile a supercharger isn't as susceptible to the impact that a turbo has, and well, there's no lag.

[post="59462"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Actually most superchargers create more heat than turbos. Turbos are more efficient.

looks like dec 28 is next embargo. then there's a big one for you guys on new years eve. After getting all my materials from the big three I'm mainly positive. Gm folks should be pretty happy.

[post="62446"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

new years eve? most excellent....

as a general rule they could keep the compression up a little for a turbo since it's not boosted all the time... s/c usually requires a lessening of the compression because of the near constant boost i'm sure most of you knew that though, being car guys. those #'s are definatly nothing to take litely if it's your competition ....just don't brag about it when a gto or corvette pull up beside you

Yes, the production Pontiac is the Solstice GXP, but I hear there may be a few surprises throughout the show scene.

The GXP will have a turbo charged 2.0l engine making between 250hp and 260hp. This is information that is easily available online, by the way.

[post="58460"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

dang, you might have to trade yours in!

[post="58712"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

oh! an HHR turbo! YUMMY!

But then it won't be the SS SC, it'll be the SS TC  :P

I expect the Sky Redline to get the same engine and I wouldn't be surprised to see the HHR get it as well. I wouldn't mind seeing the VUE RL getting it instead of the Honda motor, and an Equinox SS with it would be fun. GM should spread the engine around to a lot of vehicles, IMO.

[post="58846"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

a base vue with a sport suspension and the turbo motor! YUMMY!

"There should be a re-badged Aveo for Pontiac"

When will some got out of 1981? Just like that rebadged Chevette, eh?

GM cannot and should not resort to such useless cars, anymore.

[post="61487"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I'm totally with you there-the only way I could possibly support a vehicle similar to the Aveo is if it is a 2-door fastback or 3-door AeroCoupe fastback hatchback sports coupe-a fuel-efficient, sporty-performance kind not seen since the Toyota Paseo. Of course, this potential Sunburst would be larger and more powerful than a Paseo ever was or could be. Torrent and Montana SV6 (in the latter's current form) both need to simply die, as well as many other current GM vehicles. And I don't support badge engineering anywhere else either, unless its exported to Europe, Asia, and Australia, or wherever else in the world.

I'm never going to ditch my Solstice. Not when folks over on SolsticeForums.com are getting 30rwhp with just a catback exhaust and intake from GMPD. Plus, there different engines...mine's bigger :)

This motor in the Cobalt would draw ALOT of import fans IMO. While pissing off ALOT of SRT-4 owners lol.

[post="62792"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yes and no, a lot SRT-4 owners I know aren't too happy with the Caliber. So they may actually like the idea of a 260hp Cobalt SS. Especially since GMPD is already making factory upgrades to the current Cobalt SS. Isn't this 2.0 Turbo ECOTEC hitting the Cobalt SS in CY 2007/MY 2008?

The turbo + DI should be good for well over 250 HP I would think (if GM gives it as much power as it can make). The Nomad was 250HP (but from 2.2L) and didn't have DI, so I see no reason why the slightly smaller 2L with DI can't make more.

[post="58461"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Don't confuse a show car that lists a number for hp and a production car. Sure the 2.0L Trbo direct injection could make alot more hp but they have to think of warrany, gas mileage, emissions, cost ect.

Okay now make a coupe and I may consider one for my next car.

I just got done with open heart surgery, so my wife is letting me go to the LA Auto show with a friend as a get well present (assuming the Dr. also lets me go).

[post="63093"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Glad to see you are still with us. I was wondering how the surgery went. Have fun at the show!