Chevrolet Debuts the New Malibu

Chevrolet Debuts the 2013 Malibu

med_gallery_51_151_1439695.jpg

DETROIT and SHANGHAI – When Chevrolet unveils the all-new Malibu in the United States on Monday night, people around the world will be able to watch in full-screen, high-definition video streamed live over the Internet. The timing of the Web reveal coincides with the April 19 auto show debut of the new Malibu in Shanghai.

The HD streaming is an auto industry first, and represents Chevrolet's effort to globalize important product introductions by revealing the all-new Malibu simultaneously on two continents, on multiple social networking and media sites, and iPad and iPhone personal mobile devices. Standard internet viewing will also be available.

"We are expanding the reach beyond mainstream product introductions typically seen at auto shows. We are using the latest technologies available to us like no other automaker has done before to introduce this all-new, important car for Chevrolet on continents around the world," said Russ Clark, product director at Chevrolet. "Broadcasting in HD will help us make sure the world gets a good look at the all-new Malibu."

The new Malibu will be sold in nearly 100 countries on six continents. Chevrolet will transcend time zones by revealing it live on the web April 18 at 8:30 p.m. EDT and at the Shanghai Auto Show April 19. Chevrolet fans on Facebook can watch the global premiere of the all-new Malibu live in the Malibu tab, while iPad and iPhone owners can watch the online reveal via a custom broadcast optimized for the personal mobile devices. The video stream on Facebook and iPad/iPhone will be in standard definition.

2013 Malibu Gallery

Please use the "Like" button below to share this C&G thread with your friends on Facebook.

Ditto on the storage cubby behind the nav being cool. I'm sure they have a USB in there so you can hook up your mp3 device and store it in a logical place.

I like the look overall. I give it a solid B+ for looks with points for refinement, polish and clean lines but points taken off for being a clear evolution and not being really daring.

As I said before I am VERY curious to see what powers the new Bu. We know it's going to be all 4 cylinder but what versions it will get is the big question.

2.4 DI from the 'Nox with the 2.0 T from the Regal optional? that would be uninspiring in terms of acceleration and fuel economy for the class.

Will it get the rumored 2.5 with 200 hp maybe as a base? Will it get the updated 2.0 T that we hear is coming?

I could see this being a Sonata killer and picking up more Camry and Accord sales if the drive trains are as good as the car looks and the interior comes together as well.

The biggest threat to derailing the new Malibu will likely be the new Fusion that will launching soon afterward. Just like the new Focus could potentially be big trouble for the Cruze.

Well from that angle at least it looks really good. The storage cubby behind the Nav is very clever.

Orlando has this feature too, works well, saw it on one of the floor models at the autoshow.

I like the shape of the rear body by the door, but I'll wait until I see the back end. Otherwise it looks good. Still concerned about the interior and the strafes, hopefully they will be a different color than just gloss black on the production model.

While not my kind of auto, I will have to say Kudo's to GM. This is far better looking than the Camry or Accord. If they do the engines right with keeping a tight quality interior and exterior, this will be a big seller for Chevy! :D

It manages to be both up to date and familiar at the same time while retaining Chevy characteristics. Very handsome new entry to the market.

Exactly. I have to look at this car relative to the rest of its segment. Now that the awkwardly flat taillights are gone, the Malibu is much more stylish and has more flair than Camry or Accord, yet doesn't have anything weird or controversial like the Sonata. The Malibu looks rather upmarket and "premium," much like a Passat used to. In short, the design will hold a lot of appeal for a lot of people while offending very few. If anything, the new, Camaro-like taillights might be a little too masculine/aggressive-looking for some women/emasculated men, but that's a very minor quibble.

Personally, I think the mesh grille in the LTZ is a bit too blingy, and would prefer just a nice chrome surround and blacked-out mesh for a classier look, but that, too, is really minor.

On another viewing...look at the taillight preview photo: does the highlighted part of the rear quarter panel, from around the wheel well back to the side part of the taillight not have a look fairly reminiscent of the side sculpting of, say, a 1957 Bel Air or more recently the Bel Air concept? I like that a lot.

Based on the "leaked" photo, my fears are largely allayed. That is a good looking, very clear heir, with some welcome athleticism and dynamism thrown in... another piece of evidence that at least some parts of GM's design house understand what made GM cars great in the past. Love me a coke bottle GM car! Makes the Cruze look positively alien and alone, time for a serious facelift already.

It looks nice, and has some Equinox look to the front so it blends well with other Chevys and it looks similar to the current car. My only concern is it looks too similar to the current car, and it shares some similarities with the Regal. This is a car that could blend in, or people may not realize it is new/updated, and think it is just the same old car carrying on. They played it very safe and took no chances, time will tell if that was the best strategy.

It looks decent but like others I think they could have changed up some elements more. The grille, pretty much all of the front end is all too familiar. I guess continuity and conservative won out there. I'll qualify that by saying I'm not a fan of Chevy front ends in general.

Edited by frogger

It's a solid design and improves on what Chevy had with the current car. It should fair fine in the segment it slaves to win sales in, probably more so than any other Malibu that's debuted before it.

I will admit, it has a slightly peculiar AURA about it ... maybe it's how the color works alongside all of the brightwork in the front 3/4 view.

This car does what it needs to do. It keeps a look of the modern Chevy while adding the elements of some past cars. The side is no longer slab sided and has a quarter panel that recalls the 68 and 69 Impala with a hint of present Camaro. The tail smacks of todays Camaro.

This car is interesting enough to attract new buyers but not overstyled to the point to turn off the traditional family sedan buyer. We have to remember that most buyers in this class don't want a car that stands out too much. I think they struck a solid balance.

Also the width added to this car will give it more of a solid look. The last car looked ok but there is something about with in a car that makes it look larger than it is.

This is not a car for most people here on this forum, if they can make most of us happy I imagine they will make a lot of the general public happy. The keys to selling this car is Price, Getting the engine power and gearing for proper driving [note we should not expect a M series competitor here. Finally MPG. If gas remains high this car needs to get the MPG's to a proper level.

The key to this car is if it had no emblems at all it would never be mistaken for a Asian brand car. It has the look of a Chevy in the styling and that is a mark of a proper styling. I expect this car to also be like a Regal 2.0. This car will be improved over the present Regal in some ways. GM has had the time to address things they could not in the Buick. It will be kind of like the G6 vs the present Malibu. The Bu got the improvments that came after the G6 was introduced.

I don't really mind that the Malibu will only have four potters. However, it better be a good four potter.

Unfortunately, GM's current breed of high output four cylinder engines are... well... just so-so. The LDK and LHU are actually a step backwards compared to the LNF. Just a little background about these three...

LNF is the engine in the Solstice GXP, Sky Redline, HHR SS, Cobalt SS, etc. It is a 2.0 liter Direct Injected DOHC-16v 4-pot engine with dual VVT and a twin scroll turbo. The engine is equipped with twin balance shafts for refinement. Output is a stout (for its time) 260hp @ 5250 rpm, 260 lb-ft @ 2000 rpm, and the engine was available in both transverse FWD and longitudinal RWD layout. It has been discontinued.

LDK is the engine GM replaced the LNF with. Same displacement, bore and stroke. It is the engine in the Turbo Regal among others. The LDK switched from a lost foam cast block to a sand cast block. It also switched from a Bosch Motronic ME 2.8 ECU to a Delphi E39. The intake/exhaust ports are a little more restrictive and power is down to 220 hp @ 5300 rpm with 258 lb-ft @ 2000 rpm. Mainly the loss is at the upper end of the rev spectrum where the LNF simply aspirates better.

LHU simply the LDK with various an in tank fuel sensor and components switched to corrosion resistant variants so it is E85 compatible. Output is still 220hp / 258 lb-ft for the "typical" LHU engine, although a version with cranked up boost pressure makes 255 hp @ 5200 rpm and 295 lb-ft @ 2500 rpm. Despite the higher boost pressures and a strong torque peak, the LHU still struggles behind the LNF as the needle winds past 5000 rpm.

OK... let me say that these engines are not that bad -- in fact the LDK nearly mirrors the VW/Audi 2.0T FSI in terms of its power characteristics, and just a little bit behind in refinement and response. In short, they are OK, but they are not inspiring. I hope the Malibu packs something a step beyond these two.

There are scheduled engine improvements to the 4-cylinders across all brands that we will hear about more later this year.

Do you think we'll gets some decent details regarding the powertrains and their output this coming monday at the malibu debut?

Yes. Though I expect the turbo will be the same one from the Verano.

I was hoping it'd be the updated ECOTECs... make a slightly bigger splash than saying, "The 2013 Malibu will be powered by the 182hp DI 2.4L". I rather see something like, "The 2013 Malibu is said to be powered by GM's new 2.5L DI Ecotec putting out 200hp, and updated turbocharged 2.0L found in the Regal and Verano, putting out 240hp/270lb-ft," or something like that.

I was hoping it'd be the updated ECOTECs... make a slightly bigger splash than saying, "The 2013 Malibu will be powered by the 182hp DI 2.4L". I rather see something like, "The 2013 Malibu is said to be powered by GM's new 2.5L DI Ecotec putting out 200hp, and updated turbocharged 2.0L found in the Regal and Verano, putting out 240hp/270lb-ft," or something like that.

That's what they are saying over at GMI. It will have the new 2.5 and the reworked 2.0T. I haven't heard what the HP numbers are, but I guess we'll find out on Monday.

Yes at this point we have heard little on the new Eco improvments. GM has done often brought out cars with an older or lesser power plant and then followed it up in a year or so with the new stuff. Even the 84 Vette got the old engine before we got the TPI.

That's what they are saying over at GMI. It will have the new 2.5 and the reworked 2.0T. I haven't heard what the HP numbers are, but I guess we'll find out on Monday.

HP on the 2.0T will be the same figures as the Verano.

I think refinement and fuel economy are more important than horsepower gains. I've driven a Sonata and found the engine to be more refined and quiet than the 4-bangers I've driven from Audi or Saab.

That's impressive because I've read reviews stating the new 2.4L DI in the Sonata is a bit coarse. I haven't experienced one myself.

I think refinement and fuel economy are more important than horsepower gains. I've driven a Sonata and found the engine to be more refined and quiet than the 4-bangers I've driven from Audi or Saab.

That's impressive because I've read reviews stating the new 2.4L DI in the Sonata is a bit coarse. I haven't experienced one myself.

This too is the one major complaint I have seen on the Sonata. They feel the engine while powerful is very unrefined.

I did laugh the other day a co worker drve a new Turbo Regal. He told me since GM is building them in Germany they must be buying engines from BMW. He never drove a 4 cylinder with that much power and as quiet in a GM car.

I broke the news to him it was a Ecotech similar to what was in my HHR he was shocked. I told him it was a good engine and the quiet tuning really makes the Buick special. I hope the new Bu get much of the same quiet tuning that the Buick receives.

Edited by hyperv6

It's a solid design and improves on what Chevy had with the current car. It should fair fine in the segment it slaves to win sales in, probably more so than any other Malibu that's debuted before it.

I will admit, it has a slightly peculiar AURA about it ... maybe it's how the color works alongside all of the brightwork in the front 3/4 view.

Agreed....

It's different?

11_che_mal_gal_ext_large_01.jpg

med_gallery_51_151_1439695.jpg

11_che_mal_gal_ext_large_04.jpg

med_gallery_51_151_50390.png

You're proving Satty's point. The front end looks barely looks like a MCE... and the rear of the car looks like it trying to be something different from the front... just like the current 'Bu.

Do I like the new 'Bu better? Well, yeah... but only because I REALLY hated the taillight treatment on the old one... but the new taillight treatment I feel is gimmicky. "Looks like the Camaro"... maybe to the blind. The only Camaro with lights like that was the convertible mule that had LED taillights and everybody panned it as awful. Glue 'em on the 'Bu and everyone swoons.

I don't like the beltline on the bumper thatskirts the bottom of the headlights and dives below the lower grill. The fog lights and surrounds look like they are from the GM parts bin. I don't like the way the hood appears to bump up higher than the old hood... like the hood is trying to compete with the RAM pickup. I'm not really feeling the coke-bottle styling here... sure there is some rear haunches, the the lower belt between the two wheels is straight as the old Malibu.

Sorry, I think in a short time this it going to be dated. This would have been a good 2010... not a 2012.

How about this: it reminds me of a '71-'72 Chevelle Malibu. This four taillamp element thing has been going on at Chevrolet since... (let's see...) 1958? The Camaro borrowed it in '70-'73, and uses it today. To quote Hank Williams, Jr. ... it's a family tradition. Perfectly fitting, comforting and a reminder of home, continuity... with all the changes we've witnessed at GM in the last few years.

This is a car that will appeal to those who remember, and to those who are too young or indifferent to care what came before. It deserves to sell in great numbers.

You're proving Satty's point. The front end looks barely looks like a MCE... and the rear of the car looks like it trying to be something different from the front... just like the current 'Bu.

Do I like the new 'Bu better? Well, yeah... but only because I REALLY hated the taillight treatment on the old one... but the new taillight treatment I feel is gimmicky. "Looks like the Camaro"... maybe to the blind. The only Camaro with lights like that was the convertible mule that had LED taillights and everybody panned it as awful. Glue 'em on the 'Bu and everyone swoons.

I don't like the beltline on the bumper thatskirts the bottom of the headlights and dives below the lower grill. The fog lights and surrounds look like they are from the GM parts bin. I don't like the way the hood appears to bump up higher than the old hood... like the hood is trying to compete with the RAM pickup. I'm not really feeling the coke-bottle styling here... sure there is some rear haunches, the the lower belt between the two wheels is straight as the old Malibu.

Sorry, I think in a short time this it going to be dated. This would have been a good 2010... not a 2012.

Interesting...when I look at the two I see completely different proportions, completely different design aesthetics, and completely different details. See, the outgoing Malibu is very slab-sided, formal and flat on the sides and rear. Trying to ape the Passat, maybe? But the new one is a lot more expressive, muscular, and less "reserved"-looking.

The only thing I am not sure about on the new design is the fog light surrounds and the lower air intake: seems to look a little more "expensive" on the outgoing model, especially if the horizontal bar is body colored and not chromed.

The current Malibu is still one of the most handsome mid-size family cars out there. Keeping the new one familiar to that is a good thing. GM could have gotten away with an interior MCE and a slight freshening on the outside, but we're getting a fully redesigned car instead.

The current Malibu is still one of the most handsome mid-size family cars out there. Keeping the new one familiar to that is a good thing. GM could have gotten away with an interior MCE and a slight freshening on the outside, but we're getting a fully redesigned car instead.

The styling for the most was right and only a few things really needed addressed say like the tail lights.

The important thing is the underpinnings are all new to this car and updated. It will be quieter, ride better and handel better. This is on top of a already good car.

I expect the added width to give it a better presents in person. It will give the car a better proportional look with lenght vs with.

But as for the overall styling it was not in need of a major fix. This class thrives on good looks but not overdone cars. Many of these owers like consevitive styling hence the Camrys high sales.

The tail lights are a million times better, since they actually bothered to remember theory existence this time. But from the front, its similar enough that it can be mistaken for the current car. Do you really want the neighbors thinking you bought a 5 year old car instead of a new one?

The tail lights are a million times better, since they actually bothered to remember theory existence this time. But from the front, its similar enough that it can be mistaken for the current car. Do you really want the neighbors thinking you bought a 5 year old car instead of a new one?

I feel the rest of the car will remind them it's not the old Malibu, and uh, who cares if my neighbors think I bought a 5-year old car? It's not for them. What matters is the overall presentation, in which this car to me looks fresh, handsome, athletic, and from what I can see on the inside, a vast improvement.

People want to show off, its why the H2 sold and the Cavalier needed 70% off.

Wasn't the Cavalier a POS? And not everyone wants to show off. Some are happy with what they own, for themselves. And some buy for practicality.

Aesthetically, I prefer the grille of the old car. Not so much the size or design, but the fine chrome wire mesh screen as opposed to the black plastic honeycomb of the new car. Overall, the evolutionary styling changes is a good thing. In this class you want something modestly handsome, but not necessarily something strikingly bold -- because strikingly bold can also mean strikingly polarizing.

About the Sonata, at idle you can't tell the engine is running, even with the radio and HVAC off. The engine is very quiet and vibration free. The Audi 2.0T vibrates the whole car at stop lights. In normal driving I thought the Sonata 2.4L was quite good, north of 4,000 rpm maybe it wasn't as smooth as an Audi, but I didn't do much aggressive driving with it.

The 2008 Malibu was a pretty big leap forward from the 04-07 Malibu, and the current car has already gotten lost in the back of the pack. The 2013 Malibu doesn't seem like enough of an improvement over the current car. It seems like less of a leap forward form the teasers we have seen. My worry is they didn't push the bar high enough, especially if they just recycle the Regal's powertrains which already lag behind the Accord/Camry/Sonata/Altima.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

SCROTE... that newly posted photo of the blue 2012 Malibu shows off the new design beautifully. Love the wheels. This is easily the best looking car in the class now.

I don't know, it looks the same as the current car that has 25% of it's sales going to Avis and Enterprise. The Malibu doesn't look better than the Sonata or Optima. The Accord coupe looks pretty good, but comparing 2 door to 4 isn't really fair. The Malibu has the 200/Avenger, Legacy and Camry beat in styling, but I wouldn't make it the clear cut winner of the class.

• Disagree 1

Aesthetically, I prefer the grille of the old car. Not so much the size or design, but the fine chrome wire mesh screen as opposed to the black plastic honeycomb of the new car. Overall, the evolutionary styling changes is a good thing. In this class you want something modestly handsome, but not necessarily something strikingly bold -- because strikingly bold can also mean strikingly polarizing.

I don't like the honeycomb grille simply because that is a Pontiac cue, not a Chevy one. I left that tidbit out of my critique because of my obvious Pontiac bias.

Speaking of the taillights... I don't get the feel of four elements, but two lights that each have two squarish LED rings in them. Sure, that adds up to 4, but its the keyword element that ties it into a Chevy historic cue. I would have preferred the taillights if they had made them look like separate units with some sheetmetal between them and if they didn't protrude from the body like a bubble-eyed goldfish.

By going with the two lights with two squarish LED rings, the lights look like Audi ripoffs. But Audi did it better.

Considering that the Malibu is on the upper half of the Chevy spectrum, I feel 6 elements would be more appropriate, anyway. And distinctive.

Aesthetically, I prefer the grille of the old car. Not so much the size or design, but the fine chrome wire mesh screen as opposed to the black plastic honeycomb of the new car.

I agree, but it's the size. I think there is enough space to make the bottom half of the grille opening a little taller and make it a little more proportional. I also don't really like the rounded off top corners, but these are small nit picks...overall, I think the car looks very good, and I think that a nice evolution is sometimes better than a completely different redesign every round.

Edited by PONTIAC06