I like it. :)

A bit softer on the outside than I had expected though... and, like other new cars, it suffers from high-butt syndrome.

But I dig the interior (especially the color palette), and the engine choices sound promising.

Edited by Lamar

Quite conservative application of Art&Science IMHO... But that's not a bad idea on what could (likely) become Cadillac's biggest seller...

EDIT - Weight issue seems to have been a concern of GM engineers. Good job! It will for sure benefit the dynamics :)

Edited by ZL-1

I'm not a big fan. They toned down A&S too much for my tastes - though there are some details I really like and everything is well put together. But I suppose the less aggressive exterior, and the fact the interior looks up to snuff are the two things that should rope in the buyers.

Like how they softened the Art and Science and overall very nice exterior. Although I had expected something with a lot more depth and sculpting of shapes, it made sense the way Caddy did it because for example they appear to be maximizing trunk and cabin space. I especially like how the hood is not so ungodly long like on the German cars. That suggests to me some more efficient packaging (or they moved the windshield ahead quite a bit).

The interior is just photos but based on what it shows it looks like a bland interior design. That does not mean a bad interior, I just wish it would have pushed the envelope with shapes and forms and some non traditional elements. And the gauges look kinda blah...... seats look thin and cheap in the picture....

The A&S hard edges have not always played well with many in the public. They have served their pourpose and set the styling for Cadillacs future. The softer edges have in my opinion have made this styling to a much wider audience or possible buyers. The hard edges even hampered the car to even some GM fans based on comments I have seen here and in the past.

I am sure based on the last CTS this interior will be an improvment on it and it was good. The use of dark red seats and black dash are very appealing.

The chassis dynamics will be interesting. I expect it too will be an improvment over the past CTS that too was very good.

The 2.0 Turbo will be a great suprise to the many who have never driven one. Also I was glad to see they left the fuel as Premium Recomended and not Required. This is important to marketing.

I did note like some of us were hoping the 2.5 is a solid 200 HP. I wonder if they will bump any of the numbers by the time it is released as GM normally does.

GM is not going to be given the class lead here it has to be earned. So far it looks like they have a car that should help Cadillac earn it's image back. I look forward to seeing this car in person and my first drive.

Looks good lets hope it just does not meet but exceeds expectations.

558579474dafddea941cd571545444_orig.jpg

Compare this to number 3

I like the car, it's just the first thing i saw was malibu,

GM didn't help with their choice of colour

I see the front wheels driving in this one.

I expect there is a little Cadillac in Chevy as it is nothing new. Chevy tried to inject a little Cadillac with the Chevys with some hints in it's styling and features. Just in later years they tired to inject too much Chevy into a Cadillac and let it become a fancy Caprice. I think here it is a little Cadillac in Chevy again.

I fully expect some hints of the XTS to show up in the next Impala.

Edited by hyperv6

I too think it looks a little soft, it doesn't stand out that much. But they went for broad appeal, so that is okay, and red is a dumb color, so it may look better in other colors.

What I like is the low weight, with the FE3 suspension it should be pretty nimble. I also like the variety of color, wood, and material choices for the interior, that should help appeal to a broad customer base of young and old. Too many cars offer black leather and silver trim, or tan leather and wood, and that's it. Nice to see multiple woods, aluminum and carbon fiber. The interior layout looks good too, it isn't anything fancy looking but looks functional.

What I do not like is the headlights that sweep back toward the windshield, the front end reminds me of a Cruze sort of. I also don't like how the spoiler integrates to the trunk, that carve out almost Bangle-like tail looks bad, and I don't like inset or center placed exhaust either. #1 complaint is the center stack and HVAC vents is out of the Equinox. This is Cadillac, you can't go to the Equinox parts bin. The trunk is tiny, interior sounds smaller than what the 3-series or A4 might give, but I'd have to sit in them to compare.

Overall I'd say a solid double, they got themselves in scoring position, but still have work to do.

Edited by smk4565

#1 complaint is the center stack and HVAC vents is out of the Equinox.

I had to go look up an Equinox interior pic to see what you meant. I see resemblance, but it's not a true "parts bin" job. I can agree they maybe should have realized the resemblance & differentiated it better.

For reference:

2010-chevrolet-equinox-20_cd_gallery.jpg

edb9d0dfc5fcfc7195ff0a249b2b4682.jpg

The way it drives is what really matters. The ATS interior is pretty similar to the SRX interior, so I suppose Cadillac is being consistent, but a gripe of mine about the SRX aside from drivetrain is that it reminds me of a Chevy/GMC. It seems like GM has the same designers working on every car and they all start to look the same, there isn't enough difference between the brands.

tirekicker.blogspot.com2011-GMC-Terrain-interior.jpg

Edited by smk4565
  • Disagree 1

When you stick a big screen in the dash it leaves few options on what you can place that high up to give good air flow.

I feel as long as the quailty is up and the interior has good Ergo there will be few complaints. Function and Quality are what it is all about today. There is nothing here to offend.

The German cars really are not sculpted works art.

I like it; can't wait to check one out. Fuel economy is a huge unknown at this time, though...

Well it has 200 pounds on my HHR 2.0 turbo but the ATS has a better tranny. I see 24-25 city and 31-32 highway so I think the ATS can do this or maybe a lttle better. Note all the owners of the 2.0 Turbo I know all do much better than the GM posted numbers. Infact most GM cars will beat the posted numbers since 2007. I just saw a review the other day on the Verano where they even got better numbers than GM.

The V6 should be better than the Malibu is now. The 2.5 I would expect will do better than the Turbo by a few MPG.

I like the rear view the best. It's odd how there's black plastic trim on the rear bumper (to look like a "diffuser" I suppose) but none on the rocker panels. Makes the side kinda fat and even more melted looking. I'm indifferent about the front -- I like how it's less bling than the CTS, but at the same time, it's somewhat generic. Interior looks fine.

Will they be selling this internationally? Are RHD models planned?

Edited by pow

I'm more receptive to the 2.5L base engine now. It allows the ATS to compete against cars like the TSX, which also has a 200-hp four... and it makes sense in the Cadillac family structure, since the current CTS is also a tweener, evolving in size, price, and engineering from being a 3-series competitor to a 5-series competitor. Once the new CTS comes out, I can imagine them dumping the 2.5L entirely and raising the MSRP to par with 3-series.

I think for a while many of the GM interior have begun to look like this, but this one does look nice with the CUE system and large color palette. As far as the exterior I think that it looks a little softer than expected, but the only thing I really don't like is the grille...I find it to be generic. Need to wait until there are live pictures or even better, they are on the lot.

Its great that its RWD, but I think the overall look is so-so.

I don't like the steering wheel, which may be a completely new part, but to the average Joe, it looks too close to the wheel GM has been using on cars for what, 7 years? I also don't care for the horizontal vent setup that I agree with the others that GM is overusing.

I don't like the completely nonexistant trunk... I also feel from the rear the car looks way too narrow.

The front emblem is too large, and the bezel around it makes it look like a CTS part on a 3/4 scale CTS.

The headlights look kinda gimmicky to me... especially the plastic strip reaching halfway to the windshield. This fad is just awful.

The four grill setup is also looking like a copy of every other GM grill setup... including the Cruze/Malibu, if you remove the divider. One of those grills is going to get somewhat obscured when a front license plate is affixed.

The greenhouse, the short trunk, headlights and grill setup make the car look very much like all GM's other sedan offerings... the only design feature unique here really is the space between the front door cut and front wheelwell.

I prefer the CTS.

• Agree 1

Agreed with SAmadei, the car does share styling cues from Chevy sedans, the grille is plain, I don't like the sweep back headlight fad, I too think it is awful. It is just a so-so looking car, it doesn't really wow me into thinking I want one. It isn't really classy or sophisticated looking like some Audis and it isn't aggressive like a CTS. And it has that high trunk thing going on.

The Hyundai Veloster has similar air vents/navigation set up also.

Overall, it's a solid effort, but the exterior is too soft as many have indicated. I think they should have gone edgier with the small Cadillacs and softer with the larger Cadillacs. Interior is nice but not distinctive. I don't care for the black plastic around the fog lights. The top of the rear deck has similar detailing to the last Camry. I'd definitely consider this car if I were in the market for a small sports sedan.

Not getting any 'Malibu' out of the ATS and we've got a red one in the driveway.

Not the current one, but with the new one is the resemblance I'm seeing...the hood, the lower fascia...

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

I need to see this in person and in different colors. I really wanted this to be my next car, but I am unsure about some of the details...mainly that rear decklid. The interior looks great, though.

Its nicely proportioned and pretty handsome, I like the front end design even if it reminds me a bit of the Cruze, its less bulky than the CTS' front end. However it is a bit softly styled and doesn't bring anything hugely new to the world of Cadillac exterior design. It's funny to think that the cheaper new Fusion (which is gorgeous) and Dart (which is aggressively handsome) have more expressive designs.

The interior looks very nice though. I like it, just don't love it.

The photos taken by the C&G crew seem to give more insight into the design than all these expensively staged, massaged press photos. Silver brings out the car's design better than the tri-coat red, imo, which is odd because darker tri-coats usually reflect bodylines to greater effect.

This is another case where we need to see the real car to get the full effect. Many of GM's cars show the depth of the styling in person much better as the details stand out more.

Also color has an effect too.

It is kind of like the Ford I need to see it in person too. For some reason The car looks good in a photo but I fear the nose it going to be too tall in person. I hope I am wrong.

I am not worried on the ATS interiror as I expect it will be an improvment over the present CTS quality. The first time we get in it we will know.

The trunk is small but the others in class are not that much larger. 1-3 Cu FT. Most people in this class have a SUV or truck as a 2nd or srd vehicle and you seldom hear complaints. by their owners.

Edited by hyperv6

The photos taken by the C&G crew seem to give more insight into the design than all these expensively staged, massaged press photos. Silver brings out the car's design better than the tri-coat red, imo, which is odd because darker tri-coats usually reflect bodylines to greater effect.

Silver is one of the best colors for showing details, but regardless perhaps GM should hire Chrysler's press photographers.