Cadillac News: Cadillac Introduces The Elmiraj Coupe

William Maley

Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

August 15, 2013

Remember the days before SUVs became the symbol of luxury. If you wanted a luxurious vehicle back in the sixties or seventies, you went down to your Cadillac or Lincoln dealer and picked up a luxury coupe. Cadillac wants to revisit that idea of a luxury coupe, but bring it into the modern era. That brings us to the Elmiraj Coupe Concept which has made its debut at Pebble Beach

Cadillac says the Elmiraj pays tribute to the past and looks toward the future of Cadillac design. The name and proportions of the Elmiraj pays homage to the late sixties Eldorado Coupe, while the design gives us a sneak peek of what's coming down the line at Cadillac.

“This concept is the second chapter, following the Ciel Concept, of our exploration of the personas of true luxury. This project originated around the simple persona of “the drive,” or the visceral experience of driving a great luxury coupe. It’s an expression of the confidence and poise you feel driving a high-performance car, which we feel is an essential element of top-level luxury,” said Clay Dean, executive director of advanced design.

The Elmiraj design is very much an American coupe. A long front end with a large grille and vertical LED headlights flows into short rear deck with stacked tail pipes. Those with very attentive eyes will notice a new Cadillac emblem with no wreath. We reported back in July that Cadillac was considering to change the emblem and would appear on a concept that would appear at Pebble Beach.

We're not kidding on the Elmiraj paying homage to the proportions of the sixties Eldorado. The overall length of the concept measures out to 205 inches or 2.5 inches longer than a standard Escalade. Overall width measures out to 76 inches or just three inches narrower than an Escalade. It wears a set of wheels that are 22 inches in diameter by 9 inches across. However the Elmiraj Concept is light, tipping the scales at approximately 4,000 pounds. This is thanks to a lightweight chassis and structural elements that will be appearing in a future Cadillac.

Inside the Elmiraj is a feast for the senses. You have an abundance of leather throughout. Backlit titanium and Brazilian Rosewood accents line the door trims and dashboard. The gauge cluster uses an analog tach and speedo. A high-res driver information display sits behind it. A 10-inch display pops up from the center stack and provides navigation and other key features. The seating layout is 2+2 and features a system that moves the back seat forward to allow for easier access. Plus, the rear seats recline

Under the hood of the Elmiraj is a all-new 4.5L twin-turbo V8 making an estimated 500 horsepower and 500 pound-feet of torque. No mention of the transmission or drive wheels, but we're guessing an eight-speed automatic and rear-wheel drive.

Source: Cadillac

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at [email protected]or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

Press Release is on Page 2

Elmiraj Concept Explores Top of Cadillac's Range

CARMEL, Calif. – Cadillac today revealed the Elmiraj Concept, a grand coupe expressing the pure enjoyment of driving and exploring new dimensions for Cadillac's ongoing expansion. The Elmiraj Concept showcases a new vision for luxury driving and the top of the brand's expanding range.

"Cadillac is fueled by the creativity of our designers, led by Ed Welburn," said Bob Ferguson, senior vice president, Global Cadillac. "Elmiraj provides a look inside the Cadillac Studio on how we envision performance and luxury for the next generation of luxury drivers."

A modern update to the classic format of a two-door grand coupe, Elmiraj is a pure expression of streamlined design and engaging rear-wheel drive performance.

At 205 inches (5207mm) in overall length, Elmiraj is four-seat coupe with presence and poise. Taking up from where the memorable Ciel Concept left off, Elmiraj is a statement of pure luxury and performance with a purposeful character and proportion.

The concept advances Cadillac's philosophy of dramatic design and performance, and its commitment to lightweight, agile cars. Elmiraj is constructed with chassis and structural elements of an ongoing Cadillac vehicle development project slated for future production. This new vehicle architecture expands the brand's commitment to lightweight RWD performance, exemplified in the ATS sport sedan and the all-new and elevated 2014 CTS launching this fall in the U.S.

"Elmiraj advances Cadillac's provocative modern design and performance, contrasted with bespoke craftsmanship and luxury," said Mark Adams, Cadillac design director. "It explores performance driving, as well as how we're approaching elevating the Cadillac range and new dimensions of Art & Science philosophy."

Elmiraj is powered by a 4.5-liter twin turbocharged V8 delivering an estimated 500 hp. The engine takes the baseline technology from the new Cadillac Twin Turbo V6 featured in the upcoming 420-hp 2014 CTS Vsport edition, and expands it to the classic performance format of a V8 engine.

Dramatic Exterior Proportion

With a heritage of imaginative designs, Cadillac approaches concept cars as a method for projecting design forward rather than simply exaggerating or "teasing" future production models. Elmiraj was created from this mindset, and therefore suggests new territory for Cadillac Art & Science.

"This concept is the second chapter, following the Ciel Concept, of our exploration of the personas of true luxury," said Clay Dean, executive director of advanced design. "This project originated around the simple persona of "the drive," or the visceral experience of driving a great luxury coupe. It's an expression of the confidence and poise you feel driving a high-performance car, which we feel is an essential element of top-level luxury."

The dramatic proportion communicates power and performance. A long dash-to-axle front profile, a Cadillac signature, gives the coupe a performance-oriented form. The long wheelbase and clean body side characterizes the car's spacious dimensions and elevated status.

The fast cabin sits within a fuselage where taut fender lines spline through the full sectioned body, literally blending art and science. Cadillac's vertical light signature is represented in both the headlamp graphic and tail lamp. A gently applied feature line in the sheet metal extends the full length of the body side, connecting those vertical front and rear elements.

"Elmiraj is about poise and proportion," said Niki Smart, lead exterior designer. "We wanted a mature statement for Cadillac, where simplicity and subtle adornments create a purposeful presence."

Elmiraj contains design elements emphasizing Cadillac's capabilities for engaging driving performance in its production portfolio. Two vents in the car's long hood are functional, acting as hot air outlets for the twin turbo engine. Elmiraj has 22-x-9-in. aluminum wheels are backed by large ceramic brakes with Cadillac monoblock calipers. The car's rich blue exterior finish wears the brand's Vsport designation, Cadillac's new level slotting directly under the high-performance V-Series.

The face of Elmiraj experiments with new visual elements, yet is unmistakably Cadillac. The grille emphasizes the car's substantial road presence. The Cadillac Crest appears in a conceptual form, streamlined and tailored to the car's overall design. This design idea for a revised crest reflects the fact that Cadillac's unmistakable symbol has evolved dozens of times through history to mark new eras or design achievements.

Exquisitely Crafted Interior

The interior of Elmiraj blends elegantly crafted luxury and generous space with driver-focused performance elements. The upper section of the instrument panel is a single piece extending across the full width of the car, while the lower forms a cockpit space tailored for performance.

"A concept provides not only an opportunity to explore new design ideas, but to pursue new techniques for elegant craftsmanship and materials," said Gael Buzyn, lead interior designer.

Backlit titanium trim curves from the cowl to the doors, dividing the rich upper camel leather from the wood trim. Cadillac Studio craftsmen handpicked fallen Brazilian Rosewood, a wood veneer prized for its use for hundreds of years in home furnishings and musical instruments. The wood is hand-cut into three dimensional sections for perfect control of the grain flow.

The car's instrumentation features an analog tachometer and speedometer that are transparent. Directly behind the analog gauges sits a wide screen, high resolution display which projects driver information and the output of a front-mounted camera. A 10-inch touchscreen for navigation and connectivity can be concealed inside the instrument panel when not in use.

The 2+2 layout features high-performance seats, designed to support spirited driving while also delivering luxury accommodation. Elmiraj passengers might actually lobby to sit in the back. The rear bucket seats each contain a valet feature to ease entry and exit. The front bucket seat slides 10 inches forward while the rear bucket seat slides 4 inches forward to meet the passenger, then slides him or her back into position once seated. The rear bucket seats recline for additional comfort.

Many of the most celebrated automotive designs through history have been luxury coupes

"We were influenced in particular by the 1967 Eldorado, both its actual design and the fact that in its time that car was a very stark contrast and a new direction. More recent design like the CTS-V Coupe and the ELR are provocative," said Dean, the advanced design director. "Both of these cars were major statements of performance and luxury and drove Cadillac forward into new territory."

Designers at General Motors' advanced design studio in North Hollywood, Calif., under the direction of Frank Saucedo, led the development of the car's interior and exterior. Elmiraj was hand-built by in-house craftsmen in Michigan.

Cadillac Elmiraj Specifications

Model Elmiraj Concept

Body Style 4-passenger, 2-door grand coupe

Dimensions

Height 55 in / 1397 mm

Width 76 in / 1930 mm

Length 205 in / 5207 mm

Curb Weight Approx. 4000 lb / 1814 kg

Powertrain

Engine 4.5-liter Twin Turbo V8

Power 500 hp / 373 kW

Torque 500 lb-ft / 678 Nm

View full article

Now we are talking!

This is just what they need to set the level of expectations of Cadillac and the LTS as a real world class car.

It has taken the Ciel and cleaned it up and hints of the Sixteen and brought them together in a updated package.

Well this is the second of three show cars so I expect the sedan will be next and I hope it is soon.

• Agree 1

Under the hood of the Elmiraj is a all-new 4.5L twin-turbo V8 making an estimated 500 horsepower and 500 pound-feet of torque. No mention of the transmission or drive wheels, but we're guessing an eight-speed automatic and rear-wheel drive.

Interesting!

What a Beaut. Just when I thought concept of the word concept had diminished to thinly-veiled production car, this thing comes out.

ah, i like some of what they are trying here but overall I am not feeling it.

I really like the dash.

the mazda meets cadillac front end is interesting in the way the grille is presented, but i think the missing eggcrate (even if were subtle) would be helpful. The chrome hoops with swoops that have been on the interior trim of recent cadillacs are now making their way to the exterior.

There is some proportioning I don't care for. Hood's too long, rear wheels not back far enough.

Sick of the same Cadillac rear end on every car. Wheelhouses dull and not large enough or flared enough.

I still like the trunk higher than the hood. And I don't like the trunk shaping here or how very much it tapers.

Don't get me wrong, it's interesting in some ways. And this sort of style stretching is what concept cars are for. To be honest this is no better or worse than the XTS concept.

What is possibly significant here is the notion that the LTS may have a lot of similarities to this.

I think Cadillac can do lots better than this.

Getting sick of all these new blunt front end cars that what, the euro ped regs are bringing us?

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 4

Love it, the over all design and look is great. I love the modern updated logo. I especially love that this is the V model. Best way to make it is do it V style!

Interior is nice, but I feel the center console is a bit to much as it isolates the people inside the car.

Over all, it will sell as is and I think the design is a home run even after reading Reg input, I have to disagree with his input. :)

Interestingly, some sketches look more like Ciel coupe that what the concelt ended up being... I think the front end and rear ends are basically what the LTS will look like (hopefully without the mesh grille).

Real interesting bit is the 4.5TT V8: a GenV variant, specific to Cadillac, maybe?

BTW: don't like the new logo as shown; I think it would look awesome with a 1950's style chrome V below the crest...

Edited by ZL-1

WOW, :pbjtime: After watching the You Tube video on the car, I love it even more. That is freakin HOT HOT HOT!!!

Cadillac has got to deliver on this concept. It will truly put them back as the standard of the world. :D

El Miraj, really? The name is kinda lame. Either go with Miraj or just return to Eldorado. The car itself is exactly what the doctor ordered. Although that interior dash will probably not make it into production unless it is a pop-up like the either the CTS or the SRX.

Wonderful design, GM. Build it. Not tomorrow. Not ten years from now. Now. Build it now. There's nothing else left to say, really.

Am I the only one that's sort of disappointed that Cadillac doesn't use their concept names on production cars? Converj sounds worlds better than "ELR." ELR sounds like a brand of drain cleaner. Evoq sounded better than XLR, which again sounds like a brand of drain cleaner. Provoq and Vizón are both better names than SRX. SRX sounds like a brand of cheap gas station bathrooom condoms. Although they never built it as-is, the Imaj again had a cool name that should've been used on its production benefactor, the STS. Drop the "El" out of the name of this lovely concept car (I get it, it's a nod to the classic late '60s Eldorado, but it makes the entire name feel stupid when you roll it off of your tongue) and I can guarantee "Miraj" will certainly sound better than whatever moronic alphabet soup name GM manages to pull out of their hat.

• Agree 2

'Elmiraj' reminds me of a Phoenix suburb...(El Mirage). Maybe the name is intentional...The Mirage...you think you see something then it's gone...concept cars come and go pretty fast usually.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

The Ciel grille was better, this is a bit Mazda like. The back end is really good though. However I still say this car is too large, it is over a foot longer than a BMW 6-series, 16 inches longer than a Bentley Continental, it is even bigger than a Mercedes CL which is being killed for an S-class Coupe, so we don't know what that car will be like yet. Had they made this concept 192 inches long, you'd have a really easy path to a CTS based Eldorado coupe that could sell in the $55-70,000 range (V6 and turbo V6), with the CTS V6 sedan being

As a top line Luxury Coupe, this is right size for the ubber rich. That is not to say that it could not be scaled to work off the CTS platform, but I expect it to be higher than the range SMK is stating.

Forget the 4.5 Bi-turbo DOHC V8. The architecture doesn't exist yet. It'll cost a lot to develop and it has very limited applications. It'll costs more to built and it burns more fuel than a pushrod large displacement V8 of the same output.

Just use the LT1 V8 (or a 6.8 or 7 liter derivative; similar to the LS7 but with Direct Injection, VVT and AFM) should make 460 (6.2L) to 525 hp with a like amount of twist. Lighter, smaller, cheaper, more uniquely American and more MPGs.

If GM still hasn't gotten it's 8-Spd Auto off the ground by then, just use an Aisin or ZF 8-Spd.

Hmm... looking at the specs in the press release.. it doesn't actually say it is a DOHC mill. Could it be an LT-1 derivative with the Twin Turbo technology from the V6?

Can anyone find an official statement saying it is in fact DOHC?

I think we have a good look into the future here. While this is far from a production car it is far more production the Ciel ever was.

The Platform is confirmed as the Omega and many parts of the body of this car could be produced very easily as they are so close to production shape and size. The seats and other interior bits are not quire production as are the wheels.

The emblems are the new Cadillac look and they look wonderful clean and cluttered. They look like a Cadillac emblem with no memory of the dreaded cars of the 80's.

This is a very different car for Cadillac and is not like any coupe they have ever produced. It will be a Luxury coupe but the car will tune and stop as well as many sport coupes and in some cases better. It also will appeal to a international crowd better as it is very stylish and not over done. It has that air about it that a BMW or S class has but does not mimic them.

As for the name it is time to let the Eldorado be the Eldorado and let this car have it's own identity. Keep in mind and even here in the states and internationally that the target groups of this car are not people in love with the Eldorado or what it represented. It was never a handler or even at times tasteful. I love the 67 but the 78 got pretty whore house gaudy.

If we want Cadillac to advance and pick up new conquest customers we will have to let go of some of the past. I did not say all but some.

I expect the sedan will come soon and it will show even more production trim just as the XTS did.

As for the engine I see this as a sign GM may be doing this right and not just dump in an engine you can find in any Camaro or Super Sport. I believe they are taking the steps to set the LT apart from the other engines. It may still be a push rod but they are going to do as I have stated they need to do and give Cadillac their own tune or version of this engine and really make it their own. An engine is seen as the cars soul and if you want up class people to think you are worthy you have to give them something their lawn care guy does not have under the hood of his truck. To me just sticking a Camaro engine in this car is like putting a Vega Steering wheel in a Corvette. It send a wrong signal.

It is the details in this car that will make it worthy of the price. Cadillac has learned from the XLR and others that to be taken seriously you have to cover the details.

Hmm... looking at the specs in the press release.. it doesn't actually say it is a DOHC mill. Could it be an LT-1 derivative with the Twin Turbo technology from the V6?

Word has been around there was a LT TT version floating around. Not sure what it was for as some said Vette but they could have been working on it for here.

It can be, but the 4.5L displacement makes it unlikely. Why go all the way down to 4.5L when the 6.2 already has enough cylinder wall thickness for a decent amount of boost? Also, why just 500hp if you are going to add two turbine-compressors and an intercooler assembly, especially when a naturally aspirated LT1 is already 460 hp?

More likely though, its an engine that doesn't exist (yet) and they just coin those numbers because 500hp and 4.5L is more or less where the competition is. They also said the Volt would have a turbo I3 and Caddys may be getting a V16... all of which is utter rubbish when it comes to the actually production lineup.

• Disagree 1

The engine doesn't exist, I doubt it will. Just like the V16 never existed, and most concept car engines don't ever exist. Chrysler had a 425 hp V12 for the Phaeton concept in the 1990s, not like Chrysler was going to put a V12 in anything they made.

I think it hard to sell to the uber rich, when the uber rich haven't bought Cadillacs in 50 years. If this is the V-series and they want to go after the S-class coupe, where is their twin turbo V12? I don't think Cadillac should go to the uber luxury level, that is why this should have been a mid-size concept because they have a V6 and turbo V6 they can put to use. Cadillac always seems to dream up these concept cars, like the Sixteen or the Imaj, Ciel, Elmiraj, etc to try to trick people into thinking Cadillac is an elite brand, then they build a flagship based on the Chevy Impala or a sports coupe based on the Volt. Why not focus on ATS and CTS coupes, and getting the SRX back to RWD.

Forget the "new platform", how about just stretching the Stingray's aluminum frame rails to make it a 2+2. Weight can go up from 3200 lbs to 3700 lbs and still be decent.Then tag on Caddy bodywork like they did with the XLR. Heck just call it the XLR if they can't think of anything else.

You get a choice between the LF3 3.6L Bi-turbo with about 420hp or a supercharged variant of the LT1 V8 with about 600hp depending on how fast you want to go.

Sell it for $68K~$88K depending on the configuration. That price point along with the utility of the rear seats and a more luxurious cabin will make is an attractive alternative for anyone looking at stepping up from a vette or is looking at Panameras, 6-series, SC or S-class coupes.

• Disagree 1

It can be, but the 4.5L displacement makes it unlikely. Why go all the way down to 4.5L when the 6.2 already has enough cylinder wall thickness for a decent amount of boost? Also, why just 500hp if you are going to add two turbine-compressors and an intercooler assembly, especially when a naturally aspirated LT1 is already 460 hp?

More likely though, its an engine that doesn't exist (yet) and they just coin those numbers because 500hp and 4.5L is more or less where the competition is. They also said the Volt would have a turbo I3 and Caddys may be getting a V16... all of which is utter rubbish when it comes to the actually production lineup.

Or.. if you're already trying to make people think "Eldorado" with this concept, as it clearly is in a few visual ways.. the number 500 (both in HP and Torque notice) has significance to people who love that car. The same reason the Mustang runs with a 5.0 today and that they made a 427 Corvette. Cadillac clearly isn't going to be building a 500ci engine any time soon, but there are other ways to pay homage to the number.

Why do it this way? To give Cadillac something special... and I would imagine that the torque coming from this engine would peak pretty low.

Forget the "new platform", how about just stretching the Stingray's aluminum frame rails to make it a 2+2. Weight can go up from 3200 lbs to 3700 lbs and still be decent.Then tag on Caddy bodywork like they did with the XLR. Heck just call it the XLR if they can't think of anything else.

You get a choice between the LF3 3.6L Bi-turbo with about 420hp or a supercharged variant of the LT1 V8 with about 600hp depending on how fast you want to go.

Sell it for $68K~$88K depending on the configuration. That price point along with the utility of the rear seats and a more luxurious cabin will make is an attractive alternative for anyone looking at stepping up from a vette or is looking at Panameras, 6-series, SC or S-class coupes.

I don't think that would get them to an Eldorado like car as they are so clearly aiming for here.

Why not focus on ATS and CTS coupes, and getting the SRX back to RWD.

The SRX went FWD and sales more than doubled from the 1st-gen RWD model. RWD will never return because the market demands a luxury FWD crossover. Caddilac did this to chase down the Lexus RX and it worked like gangbusters. No need to mess with success.

SRX 1st gen was a wagon. Current SRX might be a tarted up Vue, but clearly the look and configuration is more appealing to the market.

CUV's pitch all wheel drive. I think platform subliminally sells too. EX35 was a major dud and had clearly visual RWD roots.

FX infinitis did ok also but I do think they were limited in the market because of being perceived more as a car.

and getting the SRX back to RWD.

Why would you want Cadillac to lower sales to the level of the Germans in that segment?

A rwd SRX could base at $47k though, not $37k, fewer sales, but more profit. They could put some other crossover at the $35-40k area. Or keep the SRX how it is, and make a new RWD crossover off the CTS. But then they risk taking away from the Escalade.

50% of Cadillac's 2014 line up is front wheel drive though, that is a lot for a luxury car company that wants to be "standard of the world" And it won't be long until they add an crossover below the SRX because once Mercedes and Lincoln hit that market, and Audi Q3, they will want one too.

The fact Is there are FWD markets and RWD markets for each vehicle. Most CUV are AWD and FWD and no one complains they are not RWD. Most of those who would also want RWD would buy the AWD anyways.

Now there has been talk that there may be a small SUV that would be RWD and AWD with more of a sporting nature. This would not be a SRX replacement but just additional model to compete with the low volume BMW SUV.

Spend some time on the SRX, Nox, Terrain forum and you will see that no one there is asking for RWD.

I find many who buy the CUV is a person who either owned a Mini Van or they just have no need for a truck or large SUV and are ok with the smaller engine and the FWD/AWD option.

The old SRX issue was it was car like and not all that truck like and did not appeal to the CUV crowd so much and did not appeal as much to the truck SUV crowd since it was not truck enough.

You just can't lump all the SUV and CUV people into the same market segment as they mostly have different wants, needs and expectations. This is why we have so many different segments within this segment. The buyers in these segments are a very diverse group and as you can see there are many variations in this segment reaching out to many of them. GM Is even creating more with the Encore.

99% of Audi's 2014 lineup is fwd..shame they aren't world class.

In the US, aren't they more like 99% AWD?

It doesn't matter if the Cadillac SRX has a 100% AWD take rate nor does it matter that the Cadillac XTS can send something like 75% of its torque to the rear wheels when the computer tells the AWD system to... they are still FWD. Audi isn't FWD because they have longitudinal engines... even though they are driving the front wheels just as much as the FWD Cadillacs do. </smk mode> :wacko:

There is a valid argument that Cadillac is missing an X5 competitor, but the SRX is not intended to be that vehicle.

Agreed on the lack of X5 competitor and the SRX not being it. If SRX was made a bit smaller (on the outside and not inside) it could open the door to a vehicle in between it and the Escalade.

Audi sort of plays 3rd fiddle to BMW and Mercedes. Notice Cadillac was benchmarking the 3-series for the ATS, not the A4. And everyone benchmarks the S-class. Audi is ditching the A8 platform for an all new RWD platform, because they can't compete with the S-class. Audi does their Quattro thing well, they market it well and it is sort of the luxury Subaru, where they have a following, but they aren't the big dog on the block.

In the US, aren't they more like 99% AWD?

It doesn't matter if the Cadillac SRX has a 100% AWD take rate nor does it matter that the Cadillac XTS can send something like 75% of its torque to the rear wheels when the computer tells the AWD system to... they are still FWD. Audi isn't FWD because they have longitudinal engines... even though they are driving the front wheels just as much as the FWD Cadillacs do. </smk mode> :wacko:

That is correct, haha. Longitudinal engine means Audi's have a 55/45 weight split, much better than the 60/40 or worse of may FWD cars. But if you aren't 50/50 you might as well go home. The ATS and CTS are done right, now Cadillac just has to convince the sheeple that they are superior and worth the price.

I think crossover buyers are Sheeple, just like Cam-Cord buyers are. They think a CR-V or RX350 is unstoppable in snow, and safe in a crash, and a rwd sedan like the ATS or 3-series will get stuck all the time and lead to a firey death in a wreck. The same people that think a Nissan Sentra is crap, but will pay $5,000 more than Sentra for a Rogue, even though the Rogue is just a raised Sentra hatchback.

Cadillac needs the Eldorado back because they need to make cars cool again. From the early 90s until now SUVs were thought to be cool, and you hadn't made it unless you had an Explorer, Grand Cherokee, etc. Time for cars again, scale the Elmirage down to CTS size, V6 for $52,000, twin turbo V6 for $62,000 and we have a winner. If they put the Elmirage in production as a bigger than XTS 2 door for $100,000 no one will buy it, and it will be another fail like the Allante and XLR, probably bigger. Then to get quick cash GM will make another crossover for the Sheeple. Do the Eldorado and do it right please.

No. Longitudinal engines to NOT mean that Audi has a 55/45 weight split. The Audis have MORE engine in front of the front wheel center-line than any of the transverse mounted engined cars. Have you seen the schnoz on an A8 lately? The XTS AWD is 58/42.. not that different from the Audi in balance... but the overall balance doesn't tell the whole story.

Audi can relocate the battery and a few cinder blocks to the trunk of the A8, but that doesn't negate the fact that you have 90% of the weight of the V8 hanging out in front of the front wheels. The XTS's overall balance may be further from the 50/50 ideal, but the engine's center of mass is closer to the middle of the car and not hanging cantilever out in front of the front wheels.

Two main draw backs to the current SRX both come to what is Interior Space. Old SRX you could easily get 4-6 bags of golf clubs and still haul 5 people. Today's SRX you loose the back seats to get golf clubs in for just two. The interior space might be fine for a couple of 5'8" tall adults, but you would still loose the back seats to get sets of golf clubs in the auto. Try getting in a 6'6" tall person like me and no one can sit behind me, but they can in the first generation SRX. While Cadillac clearly gave the public what they wanted to buy, they also took short cuts.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1