The Chevy Trailblazer Thinks You Don't Want a Cruze: Comments

2021-Chevrolet-Trailblazer-ACTIV-024.jpgLos Angeles - Chevrolet thinks that you don't want a Cruze anymore and instead you'll buy an SUV.  Enter Chevy's answer for that, the 2021 Chevrolet Trailblazer starts under $20,000 and for those taking notes, that's less than the current Chevrolet Trax even though the Trailblazer is the larger vehicle, fitting between the Trax and Equinox in size.

Themed after the larger Blazer, the Trailblazer looks wider in person than its specs suggest.  Powertrains match the Buick Encore GX on which this shares a platform.  Powered by either a 1.2L turbo or 1.3L turbo 3-cylinder engine, the Trailblazer will deliver up to 155 horsepower. Both engines are mated with a standard Continuously Variable Transmission with selectable stop/start capability. A nine-speed automatic transmission is also available on Trailblazers equipped with the 1.3L engine and all-wheel drive. The AWD is selectable so that drivers can choose between traction or fuel economy as conditions dictate. 

The Trailblazer features 40/60 split folding second row seats, which enables the vehicle to accommodate objects up to 8.5 feet long. Overall storage capacity is rated up to 54.4cubic feet10 with the second row folded.

Trailblazer is equipped with a comprehensive list of safety technology:

• Forward Collision Alert
  • Automatic Emergency Braking
  • Front Pedestrian Braking
  • IntelliBeam Headlamps (Auto High Beam Assist)
  • Lane Keep Assist with Lane Departure Warning
  • Rear Vision Camera
  • Teen Driver
  • Rear Seat Reminder3
  • OnStar4

Additional optional active safety and driver assistance features include:

• Adaptive Cruise Control - Camera
  • Rear Park Assist
  • Lane Change Alert with Side Blind Zone Alert
  • Rear Cross Traffic Alert
  • HD Rear Vision Camera

2021-Chevrolet-Trailblazer-ACTIV-014.jpgTrailblazer ACTIV is equipped with unique tires and shock tuning. The ACTIV dampers are tuned to enhance vehicle performance and ride comfort when traveling on gravel roads.  The Hankook Sport Terrain 17-inch tires feature an aggressive shoulder design and an all-season tread pattern.

The front fascia on Trailblazer ACTIV has been revised with the lower section designed for improved ground clearance. Additional exterior differentiation includes two-tone roof, standard roof rails and trapezoid-shaped exhaust tips.

Trailblazer joins the Trax and Equinox in showrooms in Spring of 2020.

View full article

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, balthazar said:

I assume that safety list stuff is standard? 

I’m in a perilous time period where sooner rather than later, all that crap is going to be on everything. Truck shopping next year!

The first list is standard. The second list is optional once you climb into higher trims.  And yes, the trucks already come with a bunch of it. 

Baby Blazer look helps, but just not a sub compact fan.

I like the Rapid Blue Motortrend 2020 COTY sitting in front of it better! 👍🏻

Wow, the Seltos looks dumpy compared to the Trailblazer, and even though it's down on horsepower with the top level engine, the Trailblazer's 3 has very good torque numbers.  Modern looks, safety, and a knockout starting MSRP work together to make a compelling compact CUV.  Chevy says the Trailblazer Activ 4WD will be about $26k... that is what I paid for my Compass Latitude 4 model years ago.  I am digging the Zeus Bronze... a great tie-in to the mighty C8!

• Agree 2

Looks a lot better than the Traxx, and better than a lot of these tiny SUVs.  Tiny engine though, good price, I think they'll sell a decent number of them, but it will probably kill off the Trax, unless they get a new model in there.

I feel like the Trailblazer should be more up level than the Blazer though, Tracker would have been a better name I think for this vehicle, and they could have used the Trailblazer name on another vehicle like a Wrangler competitor or something.

Edited by smk4565

I am striving to overcome my skepticism of the turbo 3.  I know they have a distinctive growl.  Hopefully it won't be too silent.  The torque number is admirable.  If it has good giddy-up and fuel mileage... plus good reliability, it will be fine.  When will it be lined up at a Christmas tree?

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

I am striving to overcome my skepticism of the turbo 3.  I know they have a distinctive growl.  Hopefully it won't be too silent.  The torque number is admirable.  If it has good giddy-up and fuel mileage... plus good reliability, it will be fine.  When will it be lined up at a Christmas tree?

Thinking the same thing!!

• Agree 1

I like the relatively upright, flat windshield.  This feature should lend a feeling of good visibility and interior space, as it does on the Jeep Renegade.  The LT trim looks good over at Chevy's site, but the Activ fits me to a T.  The Trailblazer manages to look better in all trims than its massively expensive, larger bro, the Blazer.  The Blazer looks pitifully boring in any guise except for the RS.  I can agree with SMK on the name, Tracker may have been a more logical name for it, based on history, but it is what it is.  I am noticing a whole lot less vitriol over this being called Trailblazer than the whole Blazer ruckus that was raised... maybe it is because the Trailblazer, as a product, is more compelling than the Blazer.  I would rather drive a Ford Edge than a Blazer if I were looking in that size/price class.

Edited by ocnblu
  • Agree 1

On 11/21/2019 at 7:03 PM, ocnblu said:

I am digging the Zeus Bronze... a great tie-in to the mighty C8!

The C8 is missing quite a few things though....

The C8 does not offer AWD and continuous and limitless gear ratios... The C8 is ONLY RWD and is limited to 8 speeds...BLAH!  

And let us not talk about the price...holy Jeebus!  I could buy 2 Trailblazers for the price of 1 Corvette.  

So...what is so mighty about the C8, then?    

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, ykX said:

So everyone is groaning and moaning about Nissan, Honda and Subaru using CVT but nobody mentioned it here?  I guess the badge justifies different treatment.

1.2L turbo with CVT - ohh I am sure this will be lightning fast.

At least there's the 9-speed available. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, ykX said:

So everyone is groaning and moaning about Nissan, Honda and Subaru using CVT but nobody mentioned it here?  I guess the badge justifies different treatment.

Oh I've complained about it elsewhere how a 1.2 + CVT sounds like the worst possible scenario on the market. 

1 hour ago, oldshurst442 said:

The C8 is missing quite a few things though....

The C8 does not offer AWD and continuous and limitless gear ratios... The C8 is ONLY RWD and is limited to 8 speeds...BLAH!  

And let us not talk about the price...holy Jeebus!  I could buy 2 Trailblazers for the price of 1 Corvette.  

So...what is so mighty about the C8, then?    

I assume you are being facetious...    anyway, I didn't realize GM was currently doing CVTs in anything.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

I assume you are being facetious...    anyway, I didn't realize GM was currently doing CVTs in anything.

Yes.Joking around.

The CVT comment was because, if I read correctly, that the engine choice of the Traiulblazer would be a turbo 1.2 or 1.3 liter 3 cylinder and either engine would be paired up with a CVT.  

And, If Im not mistaken, isnt the 1.5 liter turbo 4 Malibu a CVT too? 

Maybe Im wrong about the Malibu, but not on the 2021 Trailblazer.  

11 hours ago, ykX said:

I have a choice... choice being, order the yuge displacement 1.THREE litre engine and AWD, which comes with a 9-speed auto.

9 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

Yes.Joking around.

The CVT comment was because, if I read correctly, that the engine choice of the Traiulblazer would be a turbo 1.2 or 1.3 liter 3 cylinder and either engine would be paired up with a CVT.  

And, If Im not mistaken, isnt the 1.5 liter turbo 4 Malibu a CVT too? 

Maybe Im wrong about the Malibu, but not on the 2021 Trailblazer.  

Yep, 1.5T Malibu is a CVT. Drove a 2020 not long ago with National. The CVT although I dont trust them wasn't bad, could hardly tell it wasn't actually shifting, they do a nice job with the shift algorithms to make "shift" smoothly but you can still feel it seemingly shift. Drove a Jeep Patriot rental with a CVT and 4 banger years ago that was Horrible slipping and slamming as you went. 

Still would go with 2.0T and 9 speed in Mali. if I was in the market. 1.3T 9 spd AWD in this TB. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

CVT in my 2012 Trail Rated Patriot was abhorrent.  It ruined an otherwise pleasant ownership experience, as the Patriot was a perfect size for maneuverability + versatility.  The poor little 2.4 would drone on and on, with revs hanging high before it would finally settle down at cruising speed.  Mom has had two Nissan CVT vehicles, a Cube and a Versa Note.  She loved both of them because she didn't ask much from either of them, but on the occasion I got behind the wheel, I was reminded how odd they are.

001.JPG

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ocnblu said:

CVT in my 2012 Trail Rated Patriot was abhorrent.  It ruined an otherwise pleasant ownership experience, as the Patriot was a perfect size for maneuverability + versatility.  The poor little 2.4 would drone on and on, with revs hanging high before it would finally settle down at cruising speed.  Mom has had two Nissan CVT vehicles, a Cube and a Versa Note.  She loved both of them because she didn't ask much from either of them, but on the occasion I got behind the wheel, I was reminded how odd they are.

001.JPG

Yep, Jeep I drove was the same way.

Malibu actually felt like it was "shifting" like a long spread 9 spd. or something. Know it was 1.5L because I lifted the hood at the hotel, had to know. Lol

On 11/28/2019 at 7:31 PM, Robert Hall said:

It looks pretty good for the subcompact class.... have to see them at the dealers when they come out, my sister might like one...she's talked about maybe trading her Trax on a 'Nox... 

Not much bigger than her Trax

12 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Not much bigger than her Trax

Yeah, i think she'd be more inclined to get a 'Nox..she's been renting them in Boston the last few months while on a gig up there.  Her Trax is a '15 w/ 15k, FWD..she hates driving it in heavy freeway traffic esp. in winter, too light and underpowered...that's why bought her hooptie STS..  all depends where the next gig is, sick of flying for work every week. 

Tidbits over at the order guide:  AWD models have 8" ground clearance!  65.7" tall with roof rack.  39.4" minimum rear legroom.  And GREAT news, stop/start has an override button.  1.2t has 137 hp @ 5000 RPM and 162 ft/lbs torque at 2500 RPM.  1.3t has 155 hp @ 5600 RPM and 174 ft/lbs torque at only 1500 RPM.

The FWD model can be ordered with a Performance Package which includes the 1.3t engine and drive modes with the CVT.

4 wheel antilock disc brakes on all models.  25.3 cu ft of space with the backseat in place.

This thing has a LOT of stuff on it!

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Tidbits over at the order guide:  AWD models have 8" ground clearance!  65.7" tall with roof rack.  39.4" minimum rear legroom.  And GREAT news, stop/start has an override button.  1.2t has 137 hp @ 5000 RPM and 162 ft/lbs torque at 2500 RPM.  1.3t has 155 hp @ 5600 RPM and 174 ft/lbs torque at only 1500 RPM.

The FWD model can be ordered with a Performance Package which includes the 1.3t engine and drive modes with the CVT.

4 wheel antilock disc brakes on all models.  25.3 cu ft of space with the backseat in place.

This thing has a LOT of stuff on it!

Such sad stats for this version of a Trailblazer compared to the last version. This is NOT your SS of yore that is for sure. :( 

7 hours ago, dfelt said:

Such sad stats for this version of a Trailblazer compared to the last version. This is NOT your SS of your that is for sure. :( 

Well it's not meant to be a continuation of that Trailblazer of your.  Or yore.  It's a small CUV this time around, and for what it is, it looks, so far, like the Chevrolet style and value that made the brand so beloved in the past.  It's spunky and useful.  Should be economical.

2022 Trailblazer SS will be a 1.3 twin turbo, nitrous injected, supercharged 3 cylinder with 206 hp.  Drag tested to an 11.6 second quarter mile, with a terminal speed of 118 mph.  HowboutDAT?  Meet me outside!

• Haha 1