Mitsubishi Introduces 2008 Lancer

Mitsubishi Motors Introduces Next-Generation 2008 Lancer

December 11, 2006 -- Cypress, Calif. -- Mitsubishi Motors North America (MMNA) will introduce, at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit in January, the all-new, 2008 Lancer compact sport sedan, delivering driven-to-thrill dynamics, "class-up" value, advanced safety and available cutting-edge user-technology in an aggressively styled package. The new-generation Lancer models arrive in Mitsubishi dealerships in early 2007.

The 2008 Lancer brings the bold, dynamic lines of the show-stopping Mitsubishi Concept-X to the showroom. First shown in 2005, the stunning Concept X previewed not only the next generation Mitsubishi compact sport sedan, but also a new design language to convey an unmistakable brand identity. A "shark-nosed" front end inspired by jet fighter air intakes, a distinct wedge-like profile and crisp, taut lines highlight the Lancer's exciting new design.

The 2008 Lancer is based on a new performance-engineered global platform that also forms the foundation of the new Mitsubishi Outlander SUV. It has a longer wheelbase and wider track, but slightly shorter overall length than the previous model. All Lancer models are powered by an all-new 2.0-liter 152 hp aluminum DOHC MIVEC 4-cylinder engine (143 hp PZEV in Calif.) teamed to a 5-speed manual transmission. The new Lancer is the first Mitsubishi in North America to offer an optional continuously variable transmission (CVT). When equipped with the CVT, the Lancer GTS exclusively features a 6-step Sportronic® mode using magnesium steering wheel paddle shifters.

The 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer will be available in three levels of trim and driving dynamics: DE, ES and the sport-tuned GTS.

Key Specifications

Wheelbase: 103.7 in

Length: 180.0 in.

Height: 58.7 in.

Width: 69.4 in.

Curb weight range: (DE w/ 5-speed) to 3,109 lbs. (GTS w/ CVT)

Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc., (MMNA) is responsible for all manufacturing, finance, sales, marketing and research and development operations of the Mitsubishi Motors Corporation in the United States. Mitsubishi Motors sells coupes, convertibles, sedans, a mid-size pickup truck and sport utility vehicles through a network of approximately 520 dealers.

Image Gallery

ES:

Posted Image

Posted Image

GTS:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Looks mean but ugly... like as if it was the bastard

child of a Volvo C70 and a Acura TSX but it had a

few birth defects that made it disfigured. :blink:

How anyone can find that attractive is beyond me. You guys must've taken some niiiiiice pills this morning.

What the f@#k is the deal with the Lancer and massive, ugly-ass rear bumpers? And that spoiler? The pointlessly-bulgy hood? The IS knockoff taillamps? TL knockoff groove? tC knockoff grille? Mitsubishi has no class whatsover and this proves it.

I'll look forward to seeing these pile up outside the local Mitsubishi double-wide...I mean, dealership.

Lower the stance and add some larger wheels and I'd be sweet. Of course, the EVo X will have that, so good time. I'm a little dissapointed that the headlights aren't as sharp-edges as the concept. Still, it looks pretty sweet, better than mmost compacts, including the Civic, Corolla, and Cobalt (sedan).

Guest YellowJacket894

I actually sort of like it.

But it's still not enough to woo me away from the Saturn Astra. Like Ted pointed out, it's missing the Concept X's stance, which really compromises the whole design.

I actually sort of like it.

But it's still not enough to woo me away from the Saturn Astra. Like Ted pointed out, it's missing the Concept X's stance, which really compromises the whole design.

226457[/snapback]

Wait till the Evo X...that's what I'll do before I pass final judgement.

wow, after the concept i thought they'd have something good looking if they stayed true to it, as we all did, and they did. this easily is at the top of its class along with civic. they're both expressive and expensive looking.

EDIT: gts is positively sexy. over time though, i'm gonna get sick of it [isn't that normal?], just like the mazda3 sedan wore on me. i guess that's normal for compact cars, except i like the civic and 3 hatch even more now.

Edited by turbo200

Looks like they blew it, maybe went a little too far over the edge, then tried to catch themselves at the last minute and make it more sensible looking. The result, a nice looking Evo trim no doubt, but a base model that doesn't know what it wants to be and has styling elements all over the place that don't match in the slightest.

The funny thing is it wouldn't take a whole lot of reforming to make it into a very nice looking Volvo IS250.

I'd add a little Alfa into that equation as well...

Either way, it's ugly as hell. But I'm sure it'll sell at least as much as the last generation because rice-boys aren't that bright and OLD people (The other market for the Lancer) don't really care.

226354[/snapback]

I agree. That and all the cars mentioned above and add a pinch of Subaru WRX and you get the new Lancer.

Looks decent but nothing extraordinary. When considering the current Lancer, this clearly is a better car. Though, will that be enough to steal sales from it's competitors? Probably not too many.

HAHAHAH I did not read Aaaa's post before.

Great minds think alike. :globe:

As Lutz says: "Looks like an angry kitchen appliance' LOL

In fact, why has this become 'the look' for so many cars? Can't we all just get along?

226572[/snapback]

Some angry cars look awsome! (not this Mitsu-Bitchy though)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Sixty8panther

i dont like it... but i guarentee most of the males my age will be creaming over it as soon as its out

wtf is wrong with my generation :banghead:  :duh:

226606[/snapback]

:lol: I know what you mean...

Anyway, I'm not quite sold on it. Sure, the GTS isn't terrible (it's actually ok for the tuner variant), but I was kind of hoping for something more...I dunno, just something better than this. That said...this thing wipes the floor with it's Chrysler platform mate.

i dont like it... but i guarentee most of the males my age will be creaming over it as soon as its out

wtf is wrong with my generation :banghead:  :duh:

226606[/snapback]

Uhh... all us males blew our cash on Pokemon cards?

I think that messed us all up... I STILL can remember at least 120 of the 151 Pokemon... including Mew and Mewtwo... :lol:

I'll admit that I think the concept is rather attractive...

I look forward to snide remarks from the media about over-rought cladding and spoilers... OH, WAIT! I forgot! That only applies to Pontiac!!! Ricer divisions can do that and it's a "legitimate" part of their brand DNA. I'm sure it'll be competitive too (At least in the eyes of the media---take that for what it's worth)

All the young guys will want one though... They seem to like uber feminine, yet angry looking cars that are MODERATE performers.... Not to count it has the nasty "80s asian" vibe/culture that seems to resonate so well with the young 'uns. (You know, where the ricer/hamster in a wheel culture originated)

It'll sell, in the face of good tatse and judgement.

Ugh.

The outline of the headlamps should have stayed closer to the concept.

This thing looks like far too much of a mish-mash of mostly Volvo and Lexus IS.

If they would have taken the design of the concept Evo X, stripped it of the Gee-Whiz! AWD, interior, and got rid of the inverted black Audi front grille fascia, then this wouldn't look bad.

Looks to me like Mitsubishi has another So What? car on its hands, aside from a Ralliart and the inevitable Evolution model. Why can't the basic elements of an attractive concept ever make it to production? Does it have to be uglified and chintzied up for the common model?

And kids, this is what the Japanese brother of the Caliber, Sebring, Avenger, Compass, and Patriot (am I missing any?) looks like!

Its missing the aggresive stance of the Concept X. Now it looks very tipsy. :(

Posted Image

Posted Image

226353[/snapback]

And, (sorry I didn't do this in the first place)

They missed every design aspect (that isn't Evo) that made this car attactive. Like the door cutlines, and fascia shapes.