Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

New Interior Shots of Hyundai Genesis

Posted Image

If anyone thinks this isnt a very well designed interior, you need to get your eyes checked. Lets just hope they follow through with the exterior.

Spy photographers caught the Hyundai Genesis testing in the Midwestern U.S. earlier today and from these latest photos, we can see changes to the interior that include an iDrive-esque control knob located behind the transmission lever. Hyundai designers nixed the original Genesis designs, so these are the first photos we've seen of the redesign.

Hyundai previewed the Genesis at the New York International Auto Show.

The interior shots reveal a host of changes and we've included photos of the original design, taken in 2005, to give you an idea of what's been modified. In addition to the control knob, you can see the large navigation display, the heavily revised gauges (incorporating electroluminescent dials) and wood-trimmed steering wheel with a different center design. The entire center console is slightly different, as well It's likely that the model you're looking at is a very high-end model, given the navigation, wood wheel and, apparently, ventilated seats.

As for the exterior changes: The new prototype's grille is now trapezoidal instead of the original round-cornered

rectangle. The new grille slats are no longer vertical - they're horizontal like the concept - but there appear to be five

thin chrome slats, instead of the three thick slats marking the show car's face. The concept grille's distinctive notch above the Hyundai badge isn't exactly visible on this prototype, but the camouflage is probably hiding it.

The new car's headlights are more pointed, and they stretch well back along the fenders, again mimicking the shape of Genesis show car's lights. The lights on this prototype are far more conventional, however, eschewing the concept's neon border surrounding thin LED strip lights. The production car's front bumper has been similarly toned down, with more conventional fog lamps integrated with a more rounded lower air-intake.

The profile of the Genesis hasn't really been altered since the first prototype, but the newest prototype showcases a shark-fin GPS or satellite radio antenna plunked on the roof line, something that has become almost a staple of luxury cars. The tail-lights were too covered to see how much of the Genesis concept has made it onto the production car, but the wheels on which this prototype was riding look just like the nine-spoked wheels used on the show car.

Courtesy of LeflaneNews

I actually cannot stand these types of interiors, where the center stack bulges out and it looks like layers of silly-putty. Sorry, but I don't need to get my eyes checked, and this thing sucks (from a design point-of-view).

Also becoming all to common in Benz and BMW vehicles. Even has a hint of Mitsu Endavor in it. It looks nice detail wise but I like the Azera's better and the styling/shape is all wrong. I would bet it is high quality. Not to mention the G8's more. It bludges and that ruins it.

Edited by gm4life

I actually cannot stand these types of interiors, where the center stack bulges out and it looks like layers of silly-putty. Sorry, but I don't need to get my eyes checked, and this thing sucks (from a design point-of-view).

I agree 100%

I agree 100%

+1

I'm sorry, am I supposed to be impressed?

First and Second generation Auroras still are better.

Because naturally, you've sat in one and seen it without the camo and testing gear.

I don't see what all the bitching is about besides it being a Hyundai (there's the reason). The styling may not be for everyone, but it's not horrible...I can think of plenty of interiors that look far worse...like the Avalon, Camry, and so on.

I don't see what all the bitching is about besides it being a Hyundai (there's the reason). The styling may not be for everyone, but it's not horrible...I can think of plenty of interiors that look far worse...like the Avalon, Camry, and so on.

I think most the "bitching" is in regards to the "layers of bulging lard" look that this and so many other interiors are emulating.

It has nothing to do with it being a Hyundai.

This interior is pretty nice. It does have some real issues and it isn't going to be class leading, but you have to remember that it wasn't too long ago that Hyundai was a solid generation or two behind GM, Toyota, Honda, Ford, and Chrysler in a lot of aspects, primarly styling; they are making up ground.

It looks good but it brings nothing new to the table. The wood (is it real?) looks like it was taken from a CLS, the nav/hvac/radio controls out of a few Infinitis, the fake metal looks cheap compared to the rest of the interior and the grey dashboard doesn't match.

I think the overwhelming thing I am taking from this thread is that Hyundai sucks because they sucked so bad when they were first introduced. Isn't this the same thing we all bitch about with the idiots who still compare the build quality of GM cars of the late 70-90s to what is out there today and bank on it? I have to say that the Hyundai of 1988 is not the same car that we can go buy today. They have improved 10,000% from the original Excell's - yet we are still saying they are $h!e.

When they are beating Lexus in surveys, we may want to rethink our views of the little company from Korea, or they may just sneak up and suprise us when we are not looking...like a company called Toyota did.

And the dash looks like an ALIEN is about to eat it's way out of the CD slot.

Edited by toesuf94

I was commenting only on the styling..... I obviously can't comment on the materials.... though Aurora materials were still pretty good.

I can. Real Burl Walnut, harder plastics typical of this era, but surprisingly resilient in the destructive Florida sun. It is still the single most ergonomic car you will ever sit in.

I think the overwhelming thing I am taking from this thread is that Hyundai sucks because they sucked so bad when they were first introduced. Isn't this the same thing we all bitch about with the idiots who still compare the build quality of GM cars of the late 70-90s to what is out there today and bank on it? I have to say that the Hyundai of 1988 is not the same car that we can go buy today. They have improved 10,000% from the original Excell's - yet we are still saying they are $h!e.

Right! And when the drive-by media drops the harping on GM, circa 1980, we'll drop the harping on hyundai, circa 1990... but no earlier than the same number of years GM was kicked around. In other words, if the media stopped making references to the Vega, Citation & Cimarron TODAY, we would stop smacking around hyundai sometime around 2017.

After all- the GM of 1980 is not the same car that we can go buy today. They have improved 10,000%.

Right! And when the drive-by media drops the harping on GM, circa 1980, we'll drop the harping on hyundai, circa 1990... but no earlier than the same number of years GM was kicked around. In other words, if the media stopped making references to the Vega, Citation & Cimarron TODAY, we would stop smacking around hyundai sometime around 2017.

After all- the GM of 1980 is not the same car that we can go buy today. They have improved 10,000%.

Because 2 wrongs obviously make a right....it makes us no better than the Domestic haters.

As I can't stand the fact that every car manufacturer is copying boring Lexus and BMW designs with plain generic slab sides, frumpy rear ends and no chrome or trim to speak of. This car is such a copy of a Lexus it's unbelievable.

+1

And the dash looks like an ALIEN is about to eat it's way out of the CD slot.

Thank You!!!

Posted Image

Huundai circa 2006:

• 1 month later...

Eww... the spy shots looked better than the real deal. The "wood" looks gross and the design is very generic.

I agree. There's too much plood (or real wood, if it is). I think the tan interior looks better, which is usually my preference.

Hideous. The wood is as nasty as the LaCrosse's, but there's a lot more of it. Very '90s. :puke:

I think the LaCrosse's wood is better than this. I think this is just as ugly as the plood in the Lucerne (not the style available in the CXS, but the other one).