Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
prinzSD

Mid engined Corvette may get the go in September decision

45 posts in this topic

For what it is worth, DeLorenzo has some new insights about a mid engined Corvette possibly getting the go ahead in September. I know a mid engined Corvette has pooped out in the past via drawing concepts, show cars etc, but it seems according to DeLorenzo this time it is almost a done deal. He seems to have spoken to some top GM officials on the subject and they will make the desicion in September. I was planning on buying a Vette next summer but if the mid engined Vette really is a reality this time, I will have to keep my 172,000 mile 1993 Trans Am until 2010 to get my Vette. I keep my cars a long time so if I by a Vette in 2008 I would have to keep it at least 14 years before I would consider a trade in. I know a lot can happen in 3 years but a mid engined Vette sounds great. Here is the link for what it is worth.

http://www.autoextremist.com/index.shtml

And oh, let's have your opinions on the matter if it is true.

That will move the Corvette even further up on the "gotta have it" list for me.

After reading the Autoextremist article, I find the merit in the persuit of a mid engined 'vette. Still, with a BASE price of $72k, it is going to be moving up the pay scale a bit. I was a little stunned at that price point being mentioned then immediately followed by the words : should keep it's current demand at those prices...You mean to tell me every vette currently sold is selling for $72,000? I really do not think that to be the case at all. Most sell way below that, and do not know of any in our club that own one that was bought at sticker.

The idea appeals to me, as does the XLR replacement mentioned in the article. However, if GM rolls the dice and fails on this car, it may spell the end of the Corvette permanately.

After reading the Autoextremist article, I find the merit in the persuit of a mid engined 'vette. Still, with a BASE price of $72k, it is going to be moving up the pay scale a bit. I was a little stunned at that price point being mentioned then immediately followed by the words : should keep it's current demand at those prices...You mean to tell me every vette currently sold is selling for $72,000? I really do not think that to be the case at all. Most sell way below that, and do not know of any in our club that own one that was bought at sticker.

The idea appeals to me, as does the XLR replacement mentioned in the article. However, if GM rolls the dice and fails on this car, it may spell the end of the Corvette permanately.

I agree 100%. When I was reading the article I immediatly thought of the Cadillac Cien mid engined car being built alongside with the Vette. I am also afraid that a $72,000 base price might cost them a lot of sales because at that price point the Corvette is not really affordable to the masses. We will find out in a few weeks which way it will go.

Edited by prinzSD

If you thought the backlash from going back to exposed headlights was bad....

Note to GM: The current front-engine/rear transaxle setup works great in the Corvette and is even preferred by some drivers. Leave the Corvette alone. If you want a mid-engined Cien companion so badly, make it a Pontiac. THere are a lot of Fiero fans out there left wanting more.

This is the latest word on the street. To some degree, I expect this development to have a significant impact on GM's next generation of high- end sportcars.

Edited by keyzi747

I don't see this happening, considering GM's target is to sell over 40k Vettes/year for the C7. That's not going to happen at $72k base.

I would be shocked if it happens.

If it does it would really be a replacment for the Caddy roadster with a limited special Corvette offered with the regular front engine.

If you consider $72K Corvettes, yes the Z06 have been a sale out for Chevy, but they only occupy about 20% of Corvertte Production.

GM will do that only if:

1. They want to make Corvette a niche brand.

2. Can still make profit despite losing number

3. Better have exotically classic material to justify that price.

I think one of Corvette's uniqueness is its price. It sits right between the ponies and expensive European snob moblies, and yet shows them its tailpipes when it comes to performance. It is a formula which is truly unique in the automobile industry, and losing that will be GM shooting in its foot.

I don't see this happening, considering GM's target is to sell over 40k Vettes/year for the C7. That's not going to happen at $72k base.

:withstupid:

Let's focus on the more important things first.

if GM does it, it would be to have a Cien companion. They should have had the Cien to market by now. And the sixteen, but that's another matter.

if they go mid engined vette, they should still have a front engined 'corvette' like they do now and it should be the affordable roadster.

Depends on what it looks like, and what the cost would be for a car of that caliber. I saw the video of the "mid engined" car, not sure if it was a Corvette type experiment or not, but it sure looked good.

A mid engined Corvette with GOOD looks for not much more than the existing Corvette would sell surely, jack the price up to Ford GT territory and it would be dead in the water after the first batch sold IMO...?

GM mid-engined sportscar = good.

Mid-engined Vette = Stupid idea.

It won't happen.

Why drastically alter a formula that has worked for 50 plus years? It makes no sense. Thank goodness its not true.

I say produce both, but call the mid-engine something different. Turning Corvette into a Chevrolet sub-brand (or even into a brand of its own) has been an idea tossed around for years. I say keep Corvette under Chevrolet, but allow the name to extend pass the single model...

An Idea for expanding the Corvette "brand":

I6 Porsche Boxter fighter = Z06 :duck:

HFV8 DI RWD coupe/convertible = Z08

HFV12 DI Mid-Engine = Z12

Cadillac could have versions of these cars as well.

The Caddy Z06 could go after BMW Z4, SLK, SC4?0

The Caddy Z08 would continue as XLR and go after the SL

The Caddy Z12 would be the Cien and take on exotics from Lamborghini & Ferrari

Flame away... :fiery:

the corvette has appeal because it makes the Front/Rear layout work remarkably... DONT change it gm!

This is just as false as it was last time it came up. :rolleyes:

Funny how nobody listens isn't it?

Funny how nobody listens isn't it?

That is what the differance is bettween those who think and those who dream.

You got to know who to listen to. At least it is better here than other web sites.

Edited by hyperv6

Thinking and dreaming are both essential.

"When you stop dreaming it's time to die"

There is one thing that keeps this believable in my head: Camaro!

Abandoning the price point to start with a base of $72k is one thing - UNLESS you have something that will fill the void. Camaro will do just that. In the past, Camaro and Corvette were so close in performance it was scary - but you could buy the Camaro for much less, in most cases HALF the price of the Corvette. Now, by moving the Corvette UP A CLASS, it leaves more of a gap between the two, thereby justifying the existence of an uber 'Vette and a Camaro on the lot.

Just my two cents...

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room