Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Derek77

2009 Pontiac Vibe GT

54 posts in this topic

FIRST LOOK: 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT
Posted Image

Posted ImageC&G Color Palette

All-new, but still retaining the original's blend of style, performance and versatility, the 2009 Pontiac Vibe also signals the return of the popular all-wheel drive and performance-oriented GT models (shown here). The 2009 Vibe will make its public debut at the upcoming Los Angeles Auto Show and will be available at Pontiac dealerships in early 2008.

Looks like it got hit with the ugly stick. Gotta love Toyota's massive 128 hp engine. Yet another reason why Pontiac is a rental car brand, not a performance brand. Even if the G8 does well, and Solstice does well (although sales and resale value are dropping, while the Sky rises), the volume cars are the G5, G6 and Vibe, they are selling more fleet junk than good cars, and that will hurt the image of the good cars, it is already happening with the Solstice.

i don't like it at all. it may look "nicer" than the old one... but that doesn't mean it's good.

The front end looks pretty good. Funky, bold, and modern at the same time... not at all blobby. The Vibe is important for Pontiac because it attracts conquest buyers and because it's the most fuel-efficient vehicle in NA GM's lineup.

Put a 6-speed stick and the turbo mill from the solstice red line in it and you have a hands down WINNER.

It's ok, I suppose. I like it better than the current one.

Remember, there is always one dog that gets sacrificed for the greater good of the larger group. As long as Cadillac and Chevy continue to get stronger and Buick and GMC slowly grow, then sacrificing Pontiac for Rental sales and Fuel milage auto's is just another way to make a stop gap measure while the General continues to improve getting his house in order.

I see the Vibe as a stop gap measure as they revamp everything in time in the Generals Portfolio. Also, why waste money when you can make money and save expenses working with a competitor. The car is not a bad little sellar and it does fill the need for a high gas milage Auto.

:metal: Rock on General!!!

The headlights look like they've been ripped from Sentra! This is a disaster!

Not great, not "gotta have."

A timid evolutionary design with poorly executed headlamps (ie cheap looking).

It doesn't look bad at all, designwise or stylewise...it's just really plain.

I like it. I'm glad they are bringing the AWD back. Hope the gas mileage is good. I hate to say it, but it's coming to mpg for me.

Yes of course it cannot hope to hide its Toyota DNA, but I like it... except it looks like it has those outdated chromey-clear taillights on it from this angle. I do like the front end, it's bold, has a nicely-executed split grille, and I like the headlights. A measurable improvement over the old one. And no cladding! There is character in the sheetmetal, for example the fender line that echoes the roof curvature. See now, that's what I'd like to see on Pontiacs... a bodyshell with some sort of style (which can be debated, of course), instead of the "stealthy" G8, which is so featureless GM thinks it can fit into SIX of their global brand lineups with a minimum of unique identifiers.

P.S.: does that thing have a silver arrowhead emblem?

Edited by ocnblu

Very nice, but looks too Toyotaish through the sides. Is that the silver arrowhead I see? :scratchchin:

Edited by K.C.

It's funny... I actually like it. I think the styling will look fine sitting next to the G8 on the showroom floor.

I think it looks sharp! It's a nice evolution of the current car. I think the current version still looks pretty good (except for the grille update; the original grille looked more distinctive), so I can see why Pontiac didn't go for a completely different appearance. I don't know if casual viewers will notice that this is a redesign, but I can see it and I like what I see. I especially like the new front end and detailing on the sides. I can't wait to see it at the dealership.

As far as engines and transmissions, I don't see why they can't put the 2.4 liter 4 cylinder and 5 speed automatic transmission from the base Camry in this thing as an upgrade. Mazda puts the 2.3 liter 4 cylinder/5 speed automatic from the base Mazda6 in the upscale versions of the Mazda3 and it performs quite well. Toyota puts this engine (although it's partnered with a 4 speed auto transmission) in the Scion xB which is based on the Corolla platform (as is the Vibe and Matrix). Why can't they do something similar with this. If they still want to offer a turbocharged engine as the top choice above the 2.4, then that's great (Mazda does this with the Mazda3 also).

If Toyota would let Pontiac offer the 2.4 liter 4 cylinder, the 5 speed automatic transmission, and 4 wheel antilock disc brakes (also offered on the Scion xB), then Pontiac would have a fairly competitive compact vehicle on the market. I would like for it to have an independent rear suspension (like the Mazda3 and Honda Civic), but I don't think it's going to happen.

I think this serves well as a stopgap measure for Pontiac to keep sells going until the all rear wheel drive lineup appears (which needs to be soon). If there is a next generation, it needs to be reassigned to another division (Saturn or Chevy). I would like to see Pontiac offer a full rear wheel drive compact family on the Alpha platform. I see a sedan, coupe, convertible, and a five door hatchback in rear wheel drive with all wheel drive as an upgrade.

I think appearance wise, the new Vibe will compliment the new G8 sedan (and wagon, if GM will bring it over) very well. Now Pontiac needs to do something about the front drive G6 if they are going to keep it around as a stopgap measure for another 4 or 5 years.

It's high time GM sever this relationship with Toyota!

it'll prolly sell well... but in light of that. HERE HERE!

The character line where the front fenders meets the doors and the way the greenhouse budges towards that line makes it look chubby...

I don't like it...from the A-pillar back it's ok, and the front fascia is ok, but between those two areas lie a mess...

G8 styling 1,000x > Vibe styling

i think i am fine with it.

i wish it had some motor.

the first vibe sold well. this should do ok too.

cars like the vibe and g6 and torrent bring in sales revenue that allows pontiac dealers to keep the doors open, and hence, to sell things like the new g8, which won't keep dealers afloat by itself.

it also sells to conquest buyers and youth.

back part of the greenhouse is looking a bit too prius though.

Edited by regfootball

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0