(17U) Silver Ice Metallic exterior color

09ccmal_gm17wa636r_nf.jpg

(50U) Summit White exterior color

09ccmal_gm50wa8624_nf.jpg

(51U) Gold Mist Metallic exterior color

09ccmal_gm51wa316n_nf.jpg

(92U) Silver Moss Metallic exterior color

09ccmal_gm92wa633r_nf.jpg

(UPF) Bluetooth for phone, personal cell phone connectivity to vehicle audio system and HMI (Human Machine Interface)

(QGG) P215/55R17 touring, blackwall tires

Changes

(PDC) Power Convenience Package now includes (AG1) driver 6-way power seat adjuster, (AP3) remote vehicle starter system and (UPF) Bluetooth for phone

(P22) 17" fascia spoke, painted sterling silver wheels are now standard on LS and 1LT models

(FX3) StabiliTrak stability control system with brake assist and Traction Control is now standard on all models

(LE5) 2.4L DOHC 4-cylinder engine is now standard on LTZ

(MH8) 6-speed automatic transmission is now available on 1LT and standard on 2LT and LTZ

(PDQ) HFV6 Engine Package is now available on LTZ and includes (LY7) 3.6L V6 SFI engine, (MH2) 6-speed automatic transmission, dual chrome exhaust tips and (NVH) hydraulic power steering (HPS)

http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/NASApp/domestic/...6629&type=0

Malibu Hybrid:

Deletions

(15U) Sandstone Metallic exterior color

(40U) White exterior color

(67U) Silverstone Metallic exterior color

(JF4) Power-adjustable pedals

(QPE) P215/60R16 touring blackwall tires

(QD1) 16" flangeless aluminum wheels

Front side marker lamps

New Features

09ccmalhybrid_gm17wa636r_nf.jpg

(50U) Summit White exterior color

09ccmalhybrid_gm50wa8624_nf.jpg

09ccmalhybrid_gm51wa316n_nf.jpg

(78U) Golden Pewter Metallic exterior color

09ccmalhybrid_gm92wa633r_nf.jpg

(QGG) P215/55R17 touring, blackwall tires

(PFE) 17" ultra bright aluminum wheels

08mal_pfewhl_nf.jpg

(K05) Engine block heater

http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/NASApp/domestic/...6630&type=0

Looks good! Odd that the 6-speed has expanded, but is still kept from the LS and optional on the 1LT, but that's still a huge expansion and a good thing regardless. And Bluetooth on nearly every model! Not restricted, which is shocking.

Cobalt:

Deletions

Sport Coupe (1AM37) and Sport Sedan (1AM69) models

(15U) Sandstone Metallic exterior color

(39U) Blue Flash Metallic exterior color

(95U) Ultra Silver Metallic exterior color

(52*) Neutral interior color

(US9) AM/FM stereo with 6-disc in-dash CD changer

(NZ6) 16" fascia spoke wheels

(K05) Engine block heater

New Features

09cccbsed_gm17wa636r_nf.jpg

09cccbsed_gm51wa316n_nf.jpg

09cccbsed_gm92wa633r_nf.jpg

SS Turbocharged Sedan model (1AP69)

(UPF) Bluetooth for phone, personal cell phone connectivity to vehicle audio system and HMI (Human Machine Interface)

(UUI) AM/FM stereo with CD player and MP3 playback and USB port

(UAF) Reconfigurable performance display

(WTC) Tire sealant and inflator kit standard

Available spare tire and wheel, includes jack

Changes

(UE1) OnStar is now standard on all models

Dual-stage frontal driver and front passenger air bags RPO code is now ASA on LS and LT models

The RPO code for the ECOTEC 2.2L engine is now LAP and includes Continuous Variable Valve Timing

(MX0) Automatic transmission is now the standard and only transmission on 1LT Sedan and 2LT Sedan

(TV5) Performance Appearance Package is now called Sport Appearance Package and now includes (T43) rear decklid spoiler, (T37) front fog lamps, (QBU) P205/50R17 blackwall tires, (PFE) 17" polished aluminum wheels, chrome exhaust tip, front and rear body-color sport fascias, body-color lower rocker moldings, White-faced sport gauges, (UK3) leather-wrapped steering wheel with mounted audio and cruise controls, (UPF) Bluetooth for phone and leather-wrapped shifter lever

(NZ0) 16" machined-face aluminum wheels are now packaged on 2LT

Improved seat bolster material with soil repellent

http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/NASApp/domestic/...6689&type=0

Nothing too big for the Cobalt...but nice minor things, I guess.

Edited by caddycruiser

Nice changes for the Malibu, glad to see the 6 speed auto expanding, even if it is optional. They are serious about this car and its showing. Great finally seeing Bluetooth. I am disappointed in seeing some colors deleted that I actually liked.

Time for the Cobalt to get a redo. Nice to see an SS sedan, and the Sport pkg is a great idea, too. Better than a separate model.

Front side marker lamps are gone for the Malibu? Interesting :scratchchin:

A quick way to tell the 09's apart from the 08's.

It said this, but I think it's in the naming. On the actual order sheets, Repeater lamps, side-mounted is still listed as standard.

I'm not too happy about them deleting the power adjustable pedals. When we had our G6, I thought they were a nice and handy feature to have.

I keep thinking this is just in the naming and a re-sort of features, but can't find them on the order sheets either. They did just make a change to the 2008's where they came with the 3.6L V6 package...but I don't see them now. Hmm.

Well

A. Power Adjustable Pedals needed to stay, I rather liked them.

B. I'm officially holding off till 2009 to lease that Cobalt. I want to be able to have VVT and that BEAUTIFUL Silver Moss Color. I am concerned that it no longer has a block heater, especially in Canada.

BLUETOOTH? USB? HMI? can you voice activate the music player ala sync?

power pedals on my 500 are the bomb. it would be hard to get another car without them.

stabilitrak standard now, but even the 09 focus has advance trac standard too, so this is becoming universal.

WHERE'S NAV!?!?!?!?! LOL

Edited by regfootball

WHERE'S NAV!?!?!?!?! LOL

Of the triad of ongoing semi-petty gripes about the Malibu (Bluetooth, Nav, and rear center armrest), I would say Nav is the least important. They offer the turn-by-turn audio nav, don't they? Sure it's not as good, but it at least addresses the issue...

Where's the rear center armrest? Rode in the back of a G6 about a month ago, and found it would've been nice to have. Much more important than Nav, IMO.

At least they addressed bluetooth, so I guess the triad of gripes is down to a... duo of gripes?

Do you know if they will start builing the 09 Malibu earlier than usual? Seems kinda early to have the specs up for the 09's.

No. Actually, the ordering guides are always published around this time every year. Order cut-offs for 2008's across GM are next week, and then they actually open the system to start filling in 2009 orders at the end of the month, to start production (Malibu/Aura, at least) on June 16th. Typical model year.

Oh, and the power pedals are still a mystery. I highly doubt they'd actually drop them...and based on how the titling/arrangement of them was re-sorted for the end of the 2008 year, it may just be a terminology thing. Guess we'll see.

Horsepower 155@6100 rpm

Torque (lb.-ft.) 150@4900 rpm

2009_ecotec_22l_cobalt_lap.gif

That puts it near the top of its class, only behind Rabbit and Impreza in terms of power. GM should consider a Cobalt "Eco" variant (like VW's BlueMotion, Ford's ECOnetic, and Opel's ecoFLEX) with a taller final drive, less displacement, an extra gear, narrower tires, weight reduction, and aerodynamic tricks, which would give consumers the choice to get better fuel economy without hybrid prices. The Cobalt auto's final drive is fairly aggressive 3.63 compared to the '09 Corolla's 2.81. The '08 Corolla's was 2.64.

malibu is such a wondeful car. in terms of looks at least it's easily the best looking sedan under 30k. 2 years from now when the cobalt and camaro come through will be an exciting time for chevy cars. hopefully GM can come through with the zeta impala as well. then you have the mpv, the equinox and the now quintessential GMT 900s. chevy is really never ever product starved.

Just for comparison:

Horsepower 148@5600 rpm-----155@6100 rpm

Torque (lb.-ft.) 152@4200 rpm-----150@4900 rpm

2007_Ecotec_L61_Chev_Cobalt.gif2009_ecotec_22l_cobalt_lap.gif

not a noticiable differenece in power according to those graphs...

its a bit better on the torque scale, but nothing to post up on the refrigerator door

i dont think a difference like that would encourage buyers, although it will help achieve better fuel ecconomy.

I want to know what idiot made the graph for the 2.2L VVT. It doesn't need two different scales! Especially when people are comparing the two graphs... you just can't compare them at all without sitting there for a couple minutes trying to understand the varied scales & crap. >:(

not a noticiable differenece in power according to those graphs...

its a bit better on the torque scale, but nothing to post up on the refrigerator door

i dont think a difference like that would encourage buyers, although it will help achieve better fuel ecconomy.

that's a tad odd it doesn't make the same peak torque #.... but with a higher redline, flatter T curve ( 2 crest wave )...should make it more fun to drive with a manual.

with the upcoming 1.8/1.4T...how the 2.2 plays a part will be interesting with the 2.4 and 2.0TDI.... i'm gonna guess the 2.2 will be gone by '12MY

Hmmm... though, with the "Sport" model being rolled into an option package on the LT, I see no mention of the 2.4L, positive or negative. Will the 2.4L become some sort of stand-alone option? Or will it disappear?

Hmmm... though, with the "Sport" model being rolled into an option package on the LT, I see no mention of the 2.4L, positive or negative. Will the 2.4L become some sort of stand-alone option? Or will it disappear?

Gone, as far as the Cobalt. It's VVT 2.2L or the SS's 2.0L Turbo DI, and nothing else. Simplification, and gas mileage, gas mileage, gas mileage. Well, not that a 2.4L Cobalt wouldn't get the same...but it's been expanded further into the Aura and Malibu, so it may even be a supply thing (at least a little bit).

Oh, and finally, there ARE '08 Malibu Hybrid's in existence...they were nowhere to be found, but now a lot of dealers (at least in PA-DE-NJ-MD) have 1 in stock or on the way.

For a while there, with the constant delay, it looked like '09 was going to be the first year for them, largely.

GM Suxors!!! Where's NAV? I needed to connect my phone to the NAV via Bluetooth so I could operate the rear view camera with the adjustable pedals! Leave it to GM to put out such a $h!ty car. At least they got rid of the pushrod engine so that when I wipe my ass with the dashboard it stays soft and supple.

Nothing too big for the Cobalt...but nice minor things, I guess.

Yeah but in this time, say, 1975-79, Chevy's compact at the time, the Nova, got grille changes at least every year. The Cobalt has been the same underspaced, unchanged piece of mediocrity since its 2005 introduction-same grille, same wheel covers, disc/drum brakes with ABS INEXCUSABLY optional (a 1992 Cavalier had them standard, even base VL trims). Its a pathetic car and desperately needs a major redesign, not just a Malibu-style grille, its a little late for that. But why does Malibu not have one of the regular reds (i.e. Impala's Precision Red and/or Deep Ruby Metallic off Equinox, or even the Pontiac G6's Performance Red Metallic.) that don't cost extra, or even the regular black? Nice otherwise though, but if in the market, I would prefer a front split bench seat.

Yeah but in this time, say, 1975-79, Chevy's compact at the time, the Nova, got grille changes at least every year.

My generation nova, from 68-72 (major facelift in 73), had no grill changes and no body differences other then tail lights and marker lights.. and the wheel choices were pretty much the same year to year... thats a 5 year span..

That puts it near the top of its class, only behind Rabbit and Impreza in terms of power. GM should consider a Cobalt "Eco" variant (like VW's BlueMotion, Ford's ECOnetic, and Opel's ecoFLEX) with a taller final drive, less displacement, an extra gear, narrower tires, weight reduction, and aerodynamic tricks, which would give consumers the choice to get better fuel economy without hybrid prices. The Cobalt auto's final drive is fairly aggressive 3.63 compared to the '09 Corolla's 2.81. The '08 Corolla's was 2.64.

Despite being down-rated in 2007, the 2.4 L was still more powerful than both the Impreza and VW 2.5 L engines. BTW VW USA still hasn't figured out that PS are not the same as hp—the 2.5 L I5 produces only 168 hp, not 170.

Yeah but in this time, say, 1975-79, Chevy's compact at the time, the Nova, got grille changes at least every year. The Cobalt has been the same underspaced, unchanged piece of mediocrity since its 2005 introduction-same grille, same wheel covers, disc/drum brakes with ABS INEXCUSABLY optional (a 1992 Cavalier had them standard, even base VL trims). Its a pathetic car and desperately needs a major redesign, not just a Malibu-style grille, its a little late for that. But why does Malibu not have one of the regular reds (i.e. Impala's Precision Red and/or Deep Ruby Metallic off Equinox, or even the Pontiac G6's Performance Red Metallic.) that don't cost extra, or even the regular black? Nice otherwise though, but if in the market, I would prefer a front split bench seat.

Remember that you are looking at what GM is offering, not what is selling or what dealers are ordering. With the 1SB package offering the 16" alloy wheel upgrade, ABS, leather steering wheel and other goodies, plus a free sunroof (in this market), and since the LT packages have a $1250 rebate (around here) and since leasing is a big, big chunk of the market, dealers are not even bothering to stock the LS Cobalt or the base LT.

It's like Hyundai offering a $9,999 base car: dealers don't stock it and certainly don't sell it, but it makes for a great lead in an ad.

I lived through the 2003 'let's-yank-ABS-out-of-everything' festiva, and I can tell you it was a big yawn. Personally, I freaked when I saw ABS gone, but very few customers gave a damn.

Still, the Cobalt is starting to get very long in the tooth. It is going to take a lot more than a few paint code changes to breathe new life into its sales into yet another year.

(MX0) Automatic transmission is now the standard and only transmission on 1LT Sedan and 2LT Sedan

Strange that they would eliminate the 5 speed stick on there volume selling 1LT and 2LT Cobalt sedans. Also why delete power pedals from the Malibu? They already killed the useful fold flat passenger seat on the Malibu line and now the power pedals are going. Why does the Malibu need 17" tires std on base LS models? That and the std stability control is going to drive the base price up to nearly 21K with destination which is too high and it still uses the old 4 speed automatic and doesn't have a fold down rear armrest or overhead assist handles which is lame. The addition of bluetooth is a good thing but I hope we didn't sacrifice power pedals to get it!

Edited by ponchoman49

Strange that they would eliminate the 5 speed stick on there volume selling 1LT and 2LT Cobalt sedans. Also why delete power pedals from the Malibu? They already killed the useful fold flat passenger seat on the Malibu line and now the power pedals are going. Why does the Malibu need 17" tires std on base LS models? That and the std stability control is going to drive the base price up to nearly 21K with destination which is too high and it still uses the old 4 speed automatic and doesn't have a fold down rear seat or overhead assist handles which is lame. The addition of bluetooth is a good thing but I hope we didn't sacrifice power pedals to get it!

As for the Cobalt stick, simple--too few sold. Of course, you can't sell what you don't make or stock...but still, too few people even know how to drive a stick.

With the Malibu, it's interesting. I still don't think those few things that are said to be deleted actually are, but we'll see. More so, also if they can keep the $19,995 LS model just as it is regardless of the wheel upsize (should, it's still steel wheels), to keep that marketing line going. Regardless, the LS will continue as the marketing target line, but not the big seller.

Oh, and all Malibus have a split folding rear seat...that's always been there, and never gone away.

I would much rather have a manual transmission on a small, 4 cylinder car. I hope the Cobalt coupe continues to offer a manual in all trim levels.

i'd agree. unless... what if it was a 4 speed stick or 4 speed auto? would you still choose the stick? that'd be a hard choice for me...

i'd agree. unless... what if it was a 4 speed stick or 4 speed auto? would you still choose the stick? that'd be a hard choice for me...

does anyone (aside from maybe tractor manufacturers & obscure asia-only manufacturers) make a 4-speed manual anymore? *scratches head* 5-speed is pretty much standard now, with 6-speed being a more "premium" offering.

does anyone (aside from maybe tractor manufacturers & obscure asia-only manufacturers) make a 4-speed manual anymore? *scratches head* 5-speed is pretty much standard now, with 6-speed being a more "premium" offering.

i was just saying... if you were in the market for a small daily driver with "moderate" power....at what point would you say no to a stick. both 5 speeds...both 6 speeds... 5 speed stick to a 6 speed auto... just a preference of control vs ease sort of thing.

i was just saying... if you were in the market for a small daily driver with "moderate" power....at what point would you say no to a stick. both 5 speeds...both 6 speeds... 5 speed stick to a 6 speed auto... just a preference of control vs ease sort of thing.

......don't forget driving enjoyment.

There are plenty of people that prefer stick-shifts not just for "control" but also for the enjoyment gained from driving them (even in "low-powered" economy cars.)

As for the Cobalt stick, simple--too few sold. Of course, you can't sell what you don't make or stock...but still, too few people even know how to drive a stick.

With the Malibu, it's interesting. I still don't think those few things that are said to be deleted actually are, but we'll see. More so, also if they can keep the $19,995 LS model just as it is regardless of the wheel upsize (should, it's still steel wheels), to keep that marketing line going. Regardless, the LS will continue as the marketing target line, but not the big seller.

Oh, and all Malibus have a split folding rear seat...that's always been there, and never gone away.

Whoops, I meant to say folding rear armrest. I fixed it in my previous post. Also I doubt that the base LS Malibu with larger std tires and stability conrol will still be $19995 for 2009.

Just curious - and I didn't see it...

Does the expansion of the 6-speed auto in the Malibu mean that the hybrid gets it too? I'd wonder what that would do to the hybrid's fuel economy numbers...

And it's too bad they're dropping the MT from the Cobalt sedan, but I guess it's true that there are so few buyers of it nowadays, despite a bump in MPG for them.