Sarah Palin.........?

The O.C.

Somebody traded in a yellow Olds Custom Cruiser of your Buick's vintage this week. It sits parked forlornly in our holding yard, ready to go either to auction or junk. I want to investigate and see what kind of shape it's in tomorrow.

BACK TO SARAH PALIN (you know, the subject of this thread)...unless you're gonna put lipstick on a Buick?

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the SNL skit was good, very well played. How's that, sir? You yelled at me for whining at the start of this whole political tangent, now you're doing it.

I'm not whining! I was just kidding around, hence the "lipstick on a Buick"!

Sorry Northie, but you're wrong. Roe v. Wade could very easily get reversed if McCain/Palin appoint another conservative judge to the bench. Bush got 2. All it would take for Roe v. Wade to be overturned/reversed is another stupid abortion case arguing one little twist they haven't heard before, them deciding to take the case (conservative activist majority would likely do this), and then rule in a way that overturns the Roe v. Wade precedent.

And no offense, but who cares about the Catholic teaching? Maybe that's relevant in Rome. Palin's against BC as well, and if these things are made difficult to obtain, the point's moot. Also, what kind of BC is acceptable in a case of a pregnant rape victim? BC is preventative...

Two points to consider on this one:

1. While overturning Roe is McCain's official position, I highly doubt that it is a priority for him - or even in his plans at all. Purely stupid as a political move, and McCain isn't stupid no matter what you may think of him.

2. Senate Confirmation Hearings: 'nuf said.

Two points to consider on this one:

1. While overturning Roe is McCain's official position, I highly doubt that it is a priority for him - or even in his plans at all. Purely stupid as a political move, and McCain isn't stupid no matter what you may think of him.

2. Senate Confirmation Hearings: 'nuf said.

Not McCain so much as Palin, and honestly I have no idea who the real John McCain is anymore. Is he the one who said he wanted to stick to the issues and not have a personal campaign? Is he the one who wanted to stick to the truth? The maverick? Or is he the old toady who panders to any constituency who might give up a single undecided voter?

I honestly don't know what his priorities are NOW other than what he is saying NOW. If he's lying about making a political point like that, then I definitely don't want to elect him anyway because the logical conclusion of that is 1) He's potentially alienating the majority of Americans with that stance (60%+ believe Abortion should be a legal option), and 2) He's trying to get elected by lying to the other 40%.

Sorry, I'm not comfortable with that.

And Senate confirmation hearings? Uhhhhhh...that isn't too much of a check/balance. Not with fillibusters. The Dems need to get a supermajority for me to feel confident about that, and I don't feel confident that is going to happen, though it may come close.

You guys realize that all overturning Roe Vs Wade would do is return abortion rights to individual states right?

Its not like it would make abortion illegal de facto.

Doesn't matter to me one bit, as there are some states where that occurance would most certainly be a de facto ban. That kind of outcome is unconscionable IMO.

Doesn't matter to me one bit, as there are some states where that occurance would most certainly be a de facto ban. That kind of outcome is unconscionable IMO.

well given that views differ by state, lets say, theoretically, in one state 75% of the population opposes abortion.

Now, to them, having abortions mandatory legal by the federal government may be unconscionable.

Whats your view on that?

well given that views differ by state, lets say, theoretically, in one state 75% of the population opposes abortion.

Now, to them, having abortions mandatory legal by the federal government may be unconscionable.

Whats your view on that?

And in South Carolina, 75% of the population wanted separate (but equal, hahah) sections in restaurants and buses for "coloreds".

And in Virginia, 75% of the population wanted a ban on inter-racial marriage.

And in Alabama, 75% of the population wanted non-integrated schools.

just saying.....

And in South Carolina, 75% of the population wanted separate (but equal, hahah) sections in restaurants and buses for "coloreds".

And in Virginia, 75% of the population wanted a ban on inter-racial marriage.

And in Alabama, 75% of the population wanted non-integrated schools.

just saying.....

Well yes, but given wording in the constitution, this is a well defined right.

Abortion is a tad bit more grey (in scope and depth)

Hmmm, let's see. She eloped to get married, and then just 8 months later had her son. I wonder if the Republican Religious Right knows that! :rotflmao:

So what? Ronald and Nancy Reagan's daughter was born just six months after their marriage.

So what? Ronald and Nancy Reagan's daughter was born just six months after their marriage.

In and of itself, it means nothing. It's just another case of 'those who live in glass houses, shouldn't throw stones'. Over the last 20 years, the republican party has turned itself in the 'morals of america' party and being a lifelong republican, that really annoys me. I'll be the first to admit that I get a certain satisfaction when any republican politician who makes a point of talking about their religion and morality, ends up getting caught in a compromising situation. On the whole, the democrats don't make morality much of a political issue so when one of them gets caught, it doesn't cause nearly the same uproar.

Hey don't be knocking the Flintstones, their cars were green, very little carbon footprint, after all they ran on foot power. :smilewide:

Is that your hint at what Bob Lutz meant by removing the automobile completely from the environmental equation? If so, good luck selling foot power in North America then. You know just as well as I do that we're all Big Mac eating fat asses. :P

satty- >>"An interesting Washingto Post article about Palin's experience as mayor. /clip/ Again, she's barely more qualified than I am."<<

Interesting how you dismiss her entire experience as a state governor. Can I likewise dismiss Barry's entire junior senator experience? Prolly should just go ahead; how much can you learn in only 6 months on the job ??

BTW- Palin is running for VP, Barry is running for POTUS.

Pot; meet kettle.

I'm watching the TV right now and an ad came on for McCain-Palin claiming they are mavericks against pork-barrel spending and that Palin "battled the bridge to nowhere." WTF.......Palin was for the Gravina Island Bridge! She only reversed her support two years later after public outcry against the project was so great.

Is that your hint at what Bob Lutz meant by removing the automobile completely from the environmental equation? If so, good luck selling foot power in North America then. You know just as well as I do that we're all Big Mac eating fat asses. :P

No not all of us, I eat very few carbs, so McDonald's and all other fast food is off my list. I like my normal size European ass, thank you very much. :AH-HA_wink:

Yes the extreme right is just as intolerant/hypocritical as the extreme left.

It's only hypocritical if the politician is railing against what they themselves engage in. At the time, Reagan was NOT a card-carrying Neocon.

As much of a true Blue voter as I am, I will always have tremendous respect for Ronald Reagan.

Edited by Croc

* If you grow up in Hawaii, raised by your grandparents, you're "exotic, different."

* Grow up in Alaska eating moose burgers, a quintessential American story.

* If your name is Barack you're a radical, unpatriotic Muslim.

* Name your kids Willow, Trig and Track, you're a maverick.

* Graduate from Harvard law School and you are unstable.

* Attend 5 different small colleges before graduating, you're well grounded.

* If you spend 3 years as a community organizer, become the first black President of the Harvard Law Review, create a voter registration drive that registers 150,000 new voters, spend 12 years as a Constitutional Law professor, spend 8 years as a State Senator representing a district with over 750,000 people, become chairman of the state Senate's Health and Human Services committee, spend 4 years in the United States Senate representing a state of 13 million people while sponsoring 131 bills and serving on the Foreign Affairs, Environment and Public Works and Veteran's Affairs committees, you don't have any real leadership experience.

* If your total resume is: local weather girl, 4 years on the city council and 6 years as the mayor of a town with less than 7,000 people, 20 months as the governor of a state with only 650,000 people, then you're qualified to become the country's second highest ranking executive.

* If you have been married to the same woman for 19 years while raising two daughters, all within Protestant churches, you're not a real Christian.

* If you cheated on your first wife with a rich heiress, and left your disfigured wife and married the heiress the next month, you're a Christian.

* If you teach responsible, age appropriate sex education, including the proper use of birth control, you are eroding the fiber of society.

* If , while governor, you staunchly advocate abstinence only, with no other option in sex education in your state's school system while your unwed teen daughter ends up pregnant, you're very responsible.

* If your wife is a Harvard graduate lawyer who gave up a position in a prestigious law firm to work for the betterment of her inner city community, then gave that up to raise a family, your family's values don't represent America's.

* If you're husband is nicknamed "First Dude", with at least one DWI conviction and no college education, who didn't register to vote until age 25 and once was a member of a group that advocated the secession of Alaska from the USA, your family is extremely admirable.

* Name your kids Willow, Trig and Track, you're a maverick.

* Attend 5 different small colleges before graduating, you're well grounded.

* If you're husband is nicknamed "First Dude", with at least one DWI conviction and no college education, who didn't register to vote until age 25 and once was a member of a group that advocated the secession of Alaska from the USA, your family is extremely admirable.

The Top 3, IMO.

I'm still trying to figure out the whole Track/Trig thing. I can see Willow as a name. But what the hell is Trig? Trigger? Trigonometry? And is track supposed to be a reference to, say, a racetrack...or maybe a track runner? Deer tracks?

Talk about bizarre...

Edited by mustang84

I'm still trying to figure out the whole Track/Trig thing. I can see Willow as a name. But what the hell is Trig? Trigger? Trigonometry? And is track supposed to be a reference to, say, a racetrack...or maybe a track runner? Deer tracks?

Talk about bizarre...

If she has more boys, will she name them Truck and Trog?

Did you see the 449 point drop in the Dow today? And the 500 + point drop in one day within the last week? And we have room at the top for an 80s big-hair newcaster who putzed her way through a communications degree, is the governor of a state whose economy is largely not hampered and self-regulating because of its big (oil) coffers, and just had a child, with health related problems, within the last 6 months? And I'm a person who votes for the person and not the party.

Palin answers her first unregulated press question (from Andrew Sullivan)

Actual answer:

“Disappointed that taxpayers are called upon to bailout another one. Certainly AIG though with the construction bonds that they’re holding and with the insurance that they are holding very, very impactful to Americans so you know the shot that has been called by the Feds its understandable but very, very disappointing that taxpayers are called upon for another one.”
Got that?

You might as well point out that she got her first answer wrong. Construction bonds have nothing to do with it; AIG got in a mess selling Credit Default Swaps. They both start with C, so I guess that's what threw her.

Deference, please. And no laughing in the back!

Did you see the 449 point drop in the Dow today? And the 500 + point drop in one day within the last week? And we have room at the top for an 80s big-hair newcaster who putzed her way through a communications degree,

Dude, why do you have to hate on 80's big-hair? :(

I'm watching the TV right now and an ad came on for McCain-Palin claiming they are mavericks against pork-barrel spending and that Palin "battled the bridge to nowhere." WTF.......Palin was for the Gravina Island Bridge! She only reversed her support two years later after public outcry against the project was so great.

At first, I thought that was a WTF moment too......but then I started thinking.....isn't that what an elected policition of the people is supposed to do.....support her constituents' wishes?

Maybe she WAS for the bridge originally.....then her constituents basically rallied against it....and so she did what she should have done....withdrew her support based upon the public wishes...??

At first, I thought that was a WTF moment too......but then I started thinking.....isn't that what an elected policition of the people is supposed to do.....support her constituents' wishes?

Maybe she WAS for the bridge originally.....then her constituents basically rallied against it....and so she did what she should have done....withdrew her support based upon the public wishes...??

I won't knock her for trying to secure earmarks. That IS her job. But her constituents who wanted it didn't suddenly change their minds. She bowed to outside pressure, and has now been continuing to baldface lie about it for the past two weeks. THAT is the WTF moment, because why keep lying something when it's so obvious and easily-proven otherwise? That's just weak character, questionable ethics, and poor judgment. Sorry, I've already had 8 years of that, don't need 4 more.

I'm not so sure about that....first the "Bridge to Nowhere", now it's the $600 million "Bridge/Highway to Nowhere" to connect her hometown with Anchorage.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080916/ap_on_...idge_to_wasilla

They did a study and found that the existing Glenn Highway will actually be a shorter commute from Wasilla. $600 million to serve 7,000 people....it seems insane, right? What they don't tell you is that Palin's buddies who own land across this inlet want the bridge built so that it will spawn development in this area that has been largely untouched. Leaders in Anchorage don't want it because it will spoil their Anchorage 2020 smart growth plan; locals don't want it because this area is a natural habitat for whales.

$600 million for 7000 people equals about $85,000 per resident. It'd be almost as cheap just to relocate the entire town.

map2.jpg

Existing Glenn Highway in yellow, proposed Don Young Highway in red.

Scott Horton explains how Sarah Palin has used Bush justice:

First, Palin has asserted that her records and communications are protected by executive privilege. Second, her senior assistants have been instructed not to cooperate with the probe. Third, the Alaska attorney general (a Palin appointee and confidant who faces conflict-of-interest charges himself) has issued a series of opinions designed to bar the way for the probe. So how does the McCain team deal with accusations that it is attempting a cover-up of Palin’s involvement in a matter which, at the very least, raises severe questions about Palin’s credibility? They argue that the inquiry should be handled by the Alaska Personnel Board, not by the legislature. The Personnel Board, of course, is dominated by Palin’s cronies and reports to her. If it works in Washington, why not in Juneau?

You really want more of this?

http://ruleofreason.blogspot.com/2008/09/p...nd-right-to.htm

left wing bloggers confound me (actually its probably just this guy and not all the rest of the lefties). According to this guy/girl (whatever didnt look at the name) it is a mothers moral obligation to abort a fetus that has downs syndrome.

Well you know what? its the governments moral obligation to kill all the homeless people, to kill hippies that dont contribute to the economy, and to kill people when they break the law.

Nice logic there buddy. I hope this isn't a sentiment that is shared by too many people (especially since its essentially Hitlers idea).

Edited by Teh Ricer Civic!

http://ruleofreason.blogspot.com/2008/09/p...nd-right-to.htm

left wing bloggers confound me (actually its probably just this guy and not all the rest of the lefties). According to this guy/girl (whatever didnt look at the name) it is a mothers moral obligation to abort a fetus that has downs syndrome.

Well you know what? its the governments moral obligation to kill all the homeless people, to kill hippies that dont contribute to the economy, and to kill people when they break the law.

Nice logic there buddy. I hope this isn't a sentiment that is shared by too many people (especially since its essentially Hitlers idea).

I am certain this is lunatic fringe.

Equally lunatic, but on the other side is the position that no abortions should ever occur, but at the same time teach abstinence only sex ed, and oppose gay families from adopting the resulting unwanted babies because it's apparently better for children to grow up permanently in foster care than it is for them to have two stable dads/moms. Unfortunately, we know Palin supports the first two and given that she supports "Pray away the gay", I'm guessing she supports the third.

This is one of those "Pick two" situations.

I am certain this is lunatic fringe.

Equally lunatic, but on the other side is the position that no abortions should ever occur, but at the same time teach abstinence only sex ed, and oppose gay families from adopting the resulting unwanted babies because it's apparently better for children to grow up permanently in foster care than it is for them to have two stable dads/moms. Unfortunately, we know Palin supports the first two and given that she supports "Pray away the gay", I'm guessing she supports the third.

This is one of those "Pick two" situations.

Oh i agree with you that on a utilitarian level the far right wing makes no sense either, but there is still room for debate in between.

However, Obama takes a very far left view of it, as he has routinely signed bills that do NOT protect the lives of aborted babies who are aborted alive. Since the baby is out of the body and is technically viable, it should theoretically constitute a viable human being, however obama has supported bills that deny these babies medical treatment and are thus left to die.

So, we have 2 extremes (granted obama is no where near as extreme as the aforementioned blogger).

Oh i agree with you that on a utilitarian level the far right wing makes no sense either, but there is still room for debate in between.

However, Obama takes a very far left view of it, as he has routinely signed bills that do NOT protect the lives of aborted babies who are aborted alive. Since the baby is out of the body and is technically viable, it should theoretically constitute a viable human being, however obama has supported bills that deny these babies medical treatment and are thus left to die.

So, we have 2 extremes (granted obama is no where near as extreme as the aforementioned blogger).

I suggest that you read up, in depth, on Obama's position on that bill. It was my impression that Obama did not support the bill because he felt it was trying to do an end run around woman's choice. His position, as I read it, is that a baby that is born alive during an abortion falls under the homicide laws and any offending doctor should be prosecuted accordingly. He's not in favor of killing babies... he's against dumb laws.

edit: and to clarify... there was never a bill that denied treatment for these babies, so he could not have supported one. It was a bill that required a second opinion on the viability of the baby.

I suggest that you read up, in depth, on Obama's position on that bill. It was my impression that Obama did not support the bill because he felt it was trying to do an end run around woman's choice. His position, as I read it, is that a baby that is born alive during an abortion falls under the homicide laws and any offending doctor should be prosecuted accordingly. He's not in favor of killing babies... he's against dumb laws.

http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2008/ob...nfanticide.html

Eh its sorta vague, but its there. and yes, i did screw up describing the bill.

Edited by Teh Ricer Civic!