Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

What do radio stations NOT play enough?

I guess the first question should be:

Do you listen to radio much anymore?

With the advent of CDs, satellite radio, iPODS, etc., virtually everyone can create their very own radio station, personalized with no commercials. This means that the "basic" radio stations, especially those that have to air a lot of commercials, are losing listeners.

For me, one who loves radio, that is kind of sad...especially since it is kinda cool to hear an older song on the radio that brings back memories, even if the whole world has forgotten. Yeah, it's cool to hear it on the iPOD, too, but when you hear it on the radio, you KNOW you aren't the only one hearing it at that given time....

So ... for those that listen to radio, what do radio stations NOT play enough of?

Personally, the more mix the better ... and, yes, that even includes mixing genres (as I did on my radio shows). The lines between, say country and rock, are not as definitive as they once were. I remember in the mid-1990s, when I had my radio show in college, I played Michael Martin Murphy's "Still Taking Chances" ... a song from the 1980s ... and I had a few people call me to find out more about that "new song" and "new artist"....

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...W Grill meal = 02/28/09

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"It was like a lighted match had been tossed into my soul" ... Trisha Yearwood ... 'The Song Remembers When'

I love listening to the radio. We have a few channels out here that play classic rock, as well as stations that play other rock hits that range from new to old, so I am satisfied with the rock content...I just wish we'd get more metal content. I have not heard one metal station.

LI is a cesspool as far as radio stations go. Unless you like top 40 or classic rock, you're left wanting more.

Good NEW music. A band I really like had a new highly-anticipated album out a few years back. The local rock radio station didn't add it to their playlist, stating that it was reviewed and they chose not to play it. My argument was that it wasn't on a major label (it was on Rhino), therefore the record company didn't push it on them (read: payola).

There was a time when you could hear new music on the radio. There were whole radio stations that made their name by breaking new artists. There were radio stations that could introduce old records as new and revive careers. Today, there aren't any radio stations, terrestrial or satellite, that have that kind of pull, so they tend to play what everyone else is playing. How many stations play "the new song from [name any over-hyped band]" every hour on the hour? How many of those stations actually try something untested?

There's a local morning show that is entertaining, but after that my CDs tend to take over. I'm too far away from the city to actually get good stations with my HD radio and even Sirius XM is leaning on old standards too much.

Oh, how I miss the days of WQZK (Keyser, WV), WDRE (Philly), or when MTV actually played music.

I love listening to the radio. We have a few channels out here that play classic rock, as well as stations that play other rock hits that range from new to old, so I am satisfied with the rock content...I just wish we'd get more metal content. I have not heard one metal station.

You won't bro because the ratings would be crap for it.

IMHO, there are too many stations owned by Crap Channel (Clear Channel) playing the same thing over and over again.

One format I'd like to hear more of, which was apparently common in the '70s, are AOR stations that play entire albums and/or obscure tracks from albums, not just the singles that have been played to death.

I'd also like to hear more moderate and liberal/progressive talk radio--way too many conservatives on the air... I miss the Air America stations (haven't found one here).

Edited by moltar

IMHO, there are too many stations owned by Crap Channel (Clear Channel) playing the same thing over and over again.

One format I'd like to hear more of, which was apparently common in the '70s, are AOR stations that play entire albums and/or obscure tracks from albums, not just the singles that have been played to death.

I'd also like to hear more moderate and liberal/progressive talk radio--way too many conservatives on the air... I miss the Air America stations (haven't found one here).

I agree with that 100%. Often the best songs are the tracks not heard on the radio.

pretty much anythign that you don't normally hear on the radio... my college's station used to play cake, ben folds, even they might be giants once in a while.... now... might have cake on 1 time a day.... basically if you can hear it on a nother channel, play it...maybe 3-4 times a day, never more. if no other station plays it...play it 2 times aday if possible ..have theme days...?

I get tired of the radio playing nothing but the same singles over and over. It's great to hear it maybe once a day...but when you hear the same song on your way to work, over the lunch hour, and on your way home, it gets old. I wish more radio stations would actually play obscure songs from albums; usually the obscure songs are better, IMO.

Why is it always "You Shook Me" or "Highway to Hell" when a radio station plays AC/DC? Why not something more lesser known off the Fly On the Wall album or Blow Up Your Video? There's some great songs on there, but they never get airplay. The same could be said with dozens of other bands.

You won't bro because the ratings would be crap for it.

Yeah, metal is pretty much dead as a pop genre, but Sirius does have a metal station.

IMO, popular music has become so fragmented that I don't listen to mainstream radio stations anymore, since they only care about putting out lowest common denominator acts like Nickelback. Niche stations allow much more range in what is on the air, and satellite radio is much better for that than standard AM/FM.

Edited by Enzora

The only radio I listen to is CBC, which plays a lot of classical, and choral music. Other than that, I only listen to my CD's or MP3's, because even stations that play some of my favorites only play the singles.

That's one of the reasons that I love xpn, they have a show (syndicated elsewhere) called "World Cafe" that gets in deep with a given artist. It also showcases new stuff from all over the map musically.

>>"You won't bro because the ratings would be crap for it."<<

Only place to find it is college radio. WSOU out of Seton Hall U is a metal station- I enjoy tuning in when I'm not too far south, because 75% of the time, I scrunch up one eye & wonder 'who'szat?'

>>"Why not something more lesser known off the Fly On the Wall album or Blow Up Your Video? There's some great songs on there, but they never get airplay."<<

Or Let There Be Rock - one of the best. But agreed: FAR too much of the popular songs, while much better material just gathers dust.

>>"I'd also like to hear more moderate and liberal/progressive talk radio--way too many conservatives on the air... I miss the Air America stations"<<

'Progressive' talk radio has been tried (& heavily-funded) more than once, but it continues to fail. Of the 3 outlets (print, TV, radio), only 1 is subject to direct feedback/ interaction with the public, and that's obviously the call-in radio talk show. I've heard it theorized thusly : liberalism just doesn't hold up to factual analysis/ challenge, and having to deal with the opposing viewpoint undermines the station's credibility to the point they fail. I suppose liberal stations could just screen out ALL opposing viewpoints and survive..... or just wait until the 'Censorship Doctrine' passes and all 3 outlets are primarily liberal.

I've heard it theorized thusly : liberalism just doesn't hold up to factual analysis/ challenge, and having to deal with the opposing viewpoint undermines the station's credibility to the point they fail. I suppose liberal stations could just screen out ALL opposing viewpoints and survive..... or just wait until the 'Censorship Doctrine' passes and all 3 outlets are primarily liberal.

Who the hell did you hear theorize that, Rush Limbaugh?

xpn.org

start the streaming

problems like this disappear.

Or, if you are local, 88.5 FM

If you don't like what you are hearing when you tune in, give it a minute (or an hour) it'll change.

Yes, but unfortunately I'm just out of range for my HD radio to pick up 88.5 HD2.

When on your computer, check out knac.com.

I listen to everything, but I want to try some interernet radio...

Any good stations that I can try?

KNAC.com is good for hard rock

YROCKONXPN.org is good for alternative

PANDORA.com is interesting to find music that you might not hear otherwise, but could possibly like

Those are my favorites.

Umm.... NPR?!

Like I said : The Censorshop Doctrine will fix that nasty, troubling, opposing viewpoint problem, so we can all be coddled in unending governmental bliss.

BTW- IIRC, it was a "blue state scumbag" that made that comment, but he was probably being facetious. :wink:

Lovely piece of rhetoric, but could you provide an argument for how it is in any way, shape, or form, true?

>>"...could you provide an argument for how it is... true?"<<

How what is true- that a form of the 'fairness doctrine' is coming?

Because the clamor for it's return (discontinued circa '82) is gaining in volume.

Why are liberal voices rising? Why are they concerned? - after all- they currently control politics.

Because they want to continue to control politics and they're in the position to do something about it.

'Fairness Doctrine' (or whatever it ends up being called) is NOT and will not be aimed at television or newspapers,

only radio; the single place where 'conservative' opinion outpaces 'liberal' opinion. With 'talk radio', the market has spoken, and soundly, yet that's not good enough.

>>"...could you provide an argument for how it is... true?"<<

How what is true- that a form of the 'fairness doctrine' is coming?

Because the clamor for it's return (discontinued circa '82) is gaining in volume.

Why are liberal voices rising? Why are they concerned? - after all- they currently control politics.

Because they want to continue to control politics and they're in the position to do something about it.

'Fairness Doctrine' (or whatever it ends up being called) is NOT and will not be aimed at television or newspapers,

only radio; the single place where 'conservative' opinion outpaces 'liberal' opinion. With 'talk radio', the market has spoken, and soundly, yet that's not good enough.

Sorry, pretty vague on that one. I wasn't trying to defend the fairness doctrine (don't know much about it, but it smells like BS to me) but rather questioning that liberal radio has failed for the reason you gave.

Liberalism just doesn't hold up to factual analysis/ challenge, and having to deal with the opposing viewpoint undermines the station's credibility to the point they fail.

>>"but rather questioning that liberal radio has failed for the reason you gave."<<

Ahh. Like I said- it was another's theory, not mine (at this point, I disremember who said it).

Not sure of the validity, but beyond ratings/sales, it is true that it's pretty difficult to give disapproving feedback to your TV or newspaper...

When Air America started up, it had some names, Al Franken among them, and ratings initially were not great but decent, but they quickly nosedived to a best of the low single digits. 2 years later the network filed for bankruptcy. Of course- there could well be a host of reasons behind that, and it takes time for ANY new format to grow, but given the 'support' of the other venues, plus the groundswell of hatred for Bush, it's surprising to me it failed so quickly.

>>"People listen to the radio? Seriously? Have we time-warped back to 1943? "<<

Surprisingly, not many jobs or vehicles at all are that condusive to watching TV while doing it / operating them.

Unless your a congressman... :P

Edited by balthazar

• 2 weeks later...
>>"I'd also like to hear more moderate and liberal/progressive talk radio--way too many conservatives on the air... I miss the Air America stations"<<

'Progressive' talk radio has been tried (& heavily-funded) more than once, but it continues to fail.

Maybe hope is still available, then! Within the last month or so, "9 FM" in Chicagoland (which had 92.5, 92.7 and 99.9) switched to all "progressive" talk....ugh. Hopefully it'll switch back to music sooner rather than later....

*shrugs*

As I mentioned, I'd love to see more variety ... and a better mix ... and simply MORE music.

Heck, if you notice the song quote at the end of all of my posts (sig area), you know what I mean about variety ... old and new!

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...MidW Event = 04/04/09

"Wouldn't that be something?" ... Finger 11 ... '1 Thing'

• 3 weeks later...

Quick follow up to this thread since radio is "near and dear" to me:

Small town/local radio stations GET the idea of variety...new AND old.

During my recent quick road trip back'n'forth to St Louis MO, I forgot to take some CDs for the drive down ... and, of course, had to listen to the radio. If I rent, like I did that weekend (had a Dodge Charger), I usually take a few CDs ... just in case.

Listening to the radio back'n'forth to STL wasn't ALL bad, though it became quite obvious how "cookie cutter" some radio stations are. However ... as I've experienced during my road trips over the years ... radio stations that serve a small area or city/town KNOW how to play variety AND the songs you don't hear much anymore. I heard some awesome songs (both rock and country) that I have not heard in a LONG time. Now ... just imagine if ALL radio stations GOT it...!?

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...MidW Event = 04/04/09

"A melody can bring back a memory take you to another place in time" ... Clint Black ... 'State Of Mind'

>>"but rather questioning that liberal radio has failed for the reason you gave."<<

Ahh. Like I said- it was another's theory, not mine (at this point, I disremember who said it).

Not sure of the validity, but beyond ratings/sales, it is true that it's pretty difficult to give disapproving feedback to your TV or newspaper...

When Air America started up, it had some names, Al Franken among them, and ratings initially were not great but decent, but they quickly nosedived to a best of the low single digits. 2 years later the network filed for bankruptcy. Of course- there could well be a host of reasons behind that, and it takes time for ANY new format to grow, but given the 'support' of the other venues, plus the groundswell of hatred for Bush, it's surprising to me it failed so quickly.

My problem with that argument is that while I do think that plenty of conservative arguments can hold up to logical scrutiny, the ones used on conservative talk radio are not among them.

I tend to believe that it has more to do with the fact that America is generally a pretty conservative, or at least libertarian, country. And if you'll look at the successful talk radio programs, they tend to appeal to the lowest common denominator. And a conservative radio show is going to appeal more to the conservative "common sensibilities" of the average American than their liberal counterparts.