Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
knightfan26917

What do radio stations NOT play enough?

48 posts in this topic

I guess the first question should be:

Do you listen to radio much anymore?

With the advent of CDs, satellite radio, iPODS, etc., virtually everyone can create their very own radio station, personalized with no commercials. This means that the "basic" radio stations, especially those that have to air a lot of commercials, are losing listeners.

For me, one who loves radio, that is kind of sad...especially since it is kinda cool to hear an older song on the radio that brings back memories, even if the whole world has forgotten. Yeah, it's cool to hear it on the iPOD, too, but when you hear it on the radio, you KNOW you aren't the only one hearing it at that given time....

So ... for those that listen to radio, what do radio stations NOT play enough of?

Personally, the more mix the better ... and, yes, that even includes mixing genres (as I did on my radio shows). The lines between, say country and rock, are not as definitive as they once were. I remember in the mid-1990s, when I had my radio show in college, I played Michael Martin Murphy's "Still Taking Chances" ... a song from the 1980s ... and I had a few people call me to find out more about that "new song" and "new artist"....

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...W Grill meal = 02/28/09

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"It was like a lighted match had been tossed into my soul" ... Trisha Yearwood ... 'The Song Remembers When'

I love listening to the radio. We have a few channels out here that play classic rock, as well as stations that play other rock hits that range from new to old, so I am satisfied with the rock content...I just wish we'd get more metal content. I have not heard one metal station.

LI is a cesspool as far as radio stations go. Unless you like top 40 or classic rock, you're left wanting more.

Good NEW music. A band I really like had a new highly-anticipated album out a few years back. The local rock radio station didn't add it to their playlist, stating that it was reviewed and they chose not to play it. My argument was that it wasn't on a major label (it was on Rhino), therefore the record company didn't push it on them (read: payola).

There was a time when you could hear new music on the radio. There were whole radio stations that made their name by breaking new artists. There were radio stations that could introduce old records as new and revive careers. Today, there aren't any radio stations, terrestrial or satellite, that have that kind of pull, so they tend to play what everyone else is playing. How many stations play "the new song from [name any over-hyped band]" every hour on the hour? How many of those stations actually try something untested?

There's a local morning show that is entertaining, but after that my CDs tend to take over. I'm too far away from the city to actually get good stations with my HD radio and even Sirius XM is leaning on old standards too much.

Oh, how I miss the days of WQZK (Keyser, WV), WDRE (Philly), or when MTV actually played music.

I love listening to the radio. We have a few channels out here that play classic rock, as well as stations that play other rock hits that range from new to old, so I am satisfied with the rock content...I just wish we'd get more metal content. I have not heard one metal station.

You won't bro because the ratings would be crap for it.

IMHO, there are too many stations owned by Crap Channel (Clear Channel) playing the same thing over and over again.

One format I'd like to hear more of, which was apparently common in the '70s, are AOR stations that play entire albums and/or obscure tracks from albums, not just the singles that have been played to death.

I'd also like to hear more moderate and liberal/progressive talk radio--way too many conservatives on the air... I miss the Air America stations (haven't found one here).

Edited by moltar

Rick Astley! Seems I only hear him on the web!

KIDDING! Depeche Mode...Alternative/New Wave. Thank GOLLY for XM!

Rick Astley! Seems I only hear him on the web!

Remember when Rick Rolling was a big internet phenom last year?

IMHO, there are too many stations owned by Crap Channel (Clear Channel) playing the same thing over and over again.

One format I'd like to hear more of, which was apparently common in the '70s, are AOR stations that play entire albums and/or obscure tracks from albums, not just the singles that have been played to death.

I'd also like to hear more moderate and liberal/progressive talk radio--way too many conservatives on the air... I miss the Air America stations (haven't found one here).

I agree with that 100%. Often the best songs are the tracks not heard on the radio.

Remember when Rick Rolling was a big internet phenom last year?

Unfortunately...yes! Grrrr.... I even found his picture! -> :butthead:

I miss Pittsburgh's K-Rock. It was one of the better stations I've heard. A few years back it somehow turned into a talk-radio station. :huh:

pretty much anythign that you don't normally hear on the radio... my college's station used to play cake, ben folds, even they might be giants once in a while.... now... might have cake on 1 time a day.... basically if you can hear it on a nother channel, play it...maybe 3-4 times a day, never more. if no other station plays it...play it 2 times aday if possible ..have theme days...?

Nickelback, it seems nobody ever plays Nickelback anymore. Oh, wait, its not opposite day. A week or so ago, I checked 3 different stations, all 3 were playing a different Nickelback song.

I get tired of the radio playing nothing but the same singles over and over. It's great to hear it maybe once a day...but when you hear the same song on your way to work, over the lunch hour, and on your way home, it gets old. I wish more radio stations would actually play obscure songs from albums; usually the obscure songs are better, IMO.

Why is it always "You Shook Me" or "Highway to Hell" when a radio station plays AC/DC? Why not something more lesser known off the Fly On the Wall album or Blow Up Your Video? There's some great songs on there, but they never get airplay. The same could be said with dozens of other bands.

xpn.org

start the streaming

problems like this disappear.

Or, if you are local, 88.5 FM

If you don't like what you are hearing when you tune in, give it a minute (or an hour) it'll change.

There are no worthwhile local stations. I'm so glad I'm out of the LeSabre as a daily driver. AM/FM only was killing me. After the heart transplant, my next move is definitely audio.

You won't bro because the ratings would be crap for it.

Yeah, metal is pretty much dead as a pop genre, but Sirius does have a metal station.

IMO, popular music has become so fragmented that I don't listen to mainstream radio stations anymore, since they only care about putting out lowest common denominator acts like Nickelback. Niche stations allow much more range in what is on the air, and satellite radio is much better for that than standard AM/FM.

Edited by Enzora

IMO, popular music has become so fragmented that I don't listen to mainstream radio stations anymore, since they only care about putting out lowest common denominator acts like Nickelback.

:withstupid:

I'm glad that Dish Network includes Sirius SR. I've found a lot of good music through it.

The only radio I listen to is CBC, which plays a lot of classical, and choral music. Other than that, I only listen to my CD's or MP3's, because even stations that play some of my favorites only play the singles.

The only radio I listen to is CBC, which plays a lot of classical, and choral music. Other than that, I only listen to my CD's or MP3's, because even stations that play some of my favorites only play the singles.

That's one of the reasons that I love xpn, they have a show (syndicated elsewhere) called "World Cafe" that gets in deep with a given artist. It also showcases new stuff from all over the map musically.

xpn looks interesting...will have to give it a try. On the computer, I've listened to Pandora a lot (not exactly internet radio, but streaming music), and Technicolor Web of Sound (www.techwebsound.com).

>>"You won't bro because the ratings would be crap for it."<<

Only place to find it is college radio. WSOU out of Seton Hall U is a metal station- I enjoy tuning in when I'm not too far south, because 75% of the time, I scrunch up one eye & wonder 'who'szat?'

>>"Why not something more lesser known off the Fly On the Wall album or Blow Up Your Video? There's some great songs on there, but they never get airplay."<<

Or Let There Be Rock - one of the best. But agreed: FAR too much of the popular songs, while much better material just gathers dust.

>>"I'd also like to hear more moderate and liberal/progressive talk radio--way too many conservatives on the air... I miss the Air America stations"<<

'Progressive' talk radio has been tried (& heavily-funded) more than once, but it continues to fail. Of the 3 outlets (print, TV, radio), only 1 is subject to direct feedback/ interaction with the public, and that's obviously the call-in radio talk show. I've heard it theorized thusly : liberalism just doesn't hold up to factual analysis/ challenge, and having to deal with the opposing viewpoint undermines the station's credibility to the point they fail. I suppose liberal stations could just screen out ALL opposing viewpoints and survive..... or just wait until the 'Censorship Doctrine' passes and all 3 outlets are primarily liberal.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0