Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Intrepidation

New York: Acura ZDX aimed squarely at BMW X6

53 posts in this topic

acurazdxlive_01_opt.jpg

After a few weeks of teasing, Acura has finally revealed the ZDX, its new four-door, luxury crossover "coupe" that is clearly aimed at the similarly proportioned BMW X6. The ZDX wears the now familiar shield grille and sharp styling that has spread across the entire Acura lineup. To further emphasize the crossover's coupiness, Acura designers have hid the rear door handles in the base of the C-pillar. The ZDX rides tall on 20-inch, 9-spoke wheels and also glints under the lights thanks to a number of chrome trim pieces including a pair of shiny dual exhausts out back. Inside you'll find typical Acura luxury with high quality materials arranged in a high-tech package that includes a new multi-view rear camera system with both a wide angle and top down view. The production ZDX will be V6-powered and kept in line by Acura's superb Super Handling All-Wheel Drive system.

Feel free to poke around the ZDX in our high-res gallery below. It's the best expression yet of Acura's new design language, which has taken some getting used to on its current lineup of sedans. This segment-busting crossover should arrive in dealerships by the fall of 2009, according to Acura.

Check out our high-res gallery of live and official shots below, as well as Acura's official press release after the jump.

front-2-1.jpg

side-1.jpg

roof-1.jpg

rear-1.jpg

acurazdxlive_01.jpg

acurazdxlive_04.jpg

acurazdxlive_17.jpg

'teasing' usually means the end result is something awesome. i.e. teasing for sex etc. to use the word teasing and show us this is wrong, totally wrong.

Holy hideous front end, Batman!

'teasing' usually means the end result is something awesome. i.e. teasing for sex etc. to use the word teasing and show us this is wrong, totally wrong.

:lol:

Holy hideous front end, Batman!

Funny thing is the front end looks relatively decent when compared to how hideous the side profile with it's massive overhang looks.

ZDX? Sounds like an 80's trim level.

This is the car that AMC would be designing if it still existed.

Acura's front ends have been absolutely awful lately. The rest of it is OK, if a bit odd. The interior looks the same as the MDX.

Some FCX Clarity design cues in the rear....in profile, looks sort of like a TL with a Prius greenhouse grafted on...wierd.

But, as a Honda/Acura product, it will likely drive nicely, be well put together, high quality and reliable, and sell in respectable numbers.

Edited by moltar

I am hoping the exterior looks a little better in production form, and in a different color. But I don't think it's that bad of an exterior, just a bit awkward. What is impressive is the interior. Leather-wrapped interior, fully panoramic glass roof, which extends the entire cabin to the back hatch (hatch is fully glass). Comes with a lot of high end features that aren't on other Acuras. This is clearly Acura shooting for "Tier One". It's such an odd duck vehicle though. The front overhang is significant.

Looks good to me. I think "progressive activity sedans", like the BMW concept revealed last month, could find a niche. Some don't want the bulkiness of an SUV, but they want more interior space than a sedan.

Well thats.....got 4 wheels? Thats about the most positive thing I can say. Then again, this is a segment (4-door, SUV coupe?) that I really dont understand.

Aaaaaaannnnd honda continues to wander aimlessly in the Styling Wasteland...

Funny thing is at NEIAS the Acura reps told Sixty8 and myself that they weren't trying to be like BMW. We all know that's a load of crap, but this is an X6 wannabe if I ever saw one...only it makes the X6 actually look pleasant by comparison.

Like the X6, I think this is an answer to a question no one is asking.

As for the looks, you can take a pig, put lipstick on it, even call it Matilda, but it's still just a pig.

there's no appeal in this two vehicle segment right now. why didn't they go for a more sedan-like solution with a heavy sloping fastback? like the mazda 6 and opel insignia. this makes no sense to me, and neither does x6.

Edited by turbo200

Maybe someone will do a 3dr hatchback or an actual 2dr coupe in this coupe/crossover segment...I really liked the Audi Steppenwolf concept from a few years ago.

An AWD CTS coupe w/ the current SRX stance, ride height, big tires, etc would be cool.

Edited by moltar

My God they have some retarded cars nowadays.

Either buy a hatch, SUV, wagon, or a coupe. None of this niche bull$h!. There are limits.

mazda6 hatch was a nice car.

ok everyone repeat after me,

LEGEND

INTEGRA

NSX

LEGEND

INTEGRA

NSX

CHECKING BACK, did that clear the brain of these horrible pictures?

ohmi, the damage to the cerebral cortex is too great. we must sacrifice YO head in the meat slicer grille!!!!!!!!!

is smoking crack an epidemic in Japan, or at least within the confines of the area surrounding the Honda engineering and design offices?

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0