Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
A Horse With No Name

Crapiest modern car you've driven...

71 posts in this topic

For me, it's the Sentra I've got as a rental while the Miata is in the body shop.

Amazingly horrible suspension and handling, cheap, thin paint, not very impressive build quality, ugly as home made sin.

It is the one car on the planet not even Jeremy Clarkson of Top Gear has enough sarcasm to diss.

Chris

Nissan Sentra

Toyota Yaris

Hyundai Sonata

Chevrolet Aveo

All four are top notch in that respect.

Hmmm..... the worst I've driven has probably been a '99 or so Neon (Thrifty) and an '02 Cavalier (Avis). The Neon must have been way out of alignment...had a horrible vibration through the steering column above 60 mph....made a 250 mile drive across Ohio very tiring. The Cavalier didn't drive that badly, but the horrific gray interior plastics and interior design were deeply depressing.

I rode in a coworker's rental Caliber last year--dreadful, depressing gray interior plastics, very limited visibility out of tiny windows w/ thick pillars. Similarily, rode in another coworker's rental HHR---same story--dreadful, depressing gray interior plastics, very limited visibility out of tiny windows w/ thick pillars.

The '08 Cobalt, on the other hand, was quite pleasant to drive, decent interior materials, though pretty loud under acceleration.

I guess I'm biased, but I generally hate small, cheap FWD cars with gray plastic interiors.

Rob

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Glad I've got someone to share some Sentra hate with.

Just a Godawful car.

Chris

I will say this- the most uncomfortable car I've ever sat in, by far (and here I can willingly include the petrified, deteriorated seats inside junkyard cars) is an '80s BMW 3. Seats felt like thinly upholstered plywood boxes. They were SO wretched, in hindsight I have to believe they WERE thinly-upholstered plywood boxes.

I haven't driven it, but I've been in a previous-gen (02-08) Corolla. What a pile. The doors felt tinny, the interior could only hope to be called "cheap", and the engine...oh that engine. It was loud and coarse, and that was before you hit the gas pedal.

That first gen Neon which I later found out had caught fire...

I haven't driven it, but I've been in a previous-gen (02-08) Corolla. What a pile. The doors felt tinny, the interior could only hope to be called "cheap", and the engine...oh that engine. It was loud and coarse, and that was before you hit the gas pedal.

I drove a 5-speed one. It felt like a typical economy car and I wasn't impressed by any means. Shifter not as good as Honda's, nor is the engine; no surprises there. It delivers on the fuel mileage though.

I want to say Ford Econoline, but they were producing it when FDR was elected, so Toyota Yaris it is.

Nissan Sentra

Toyota Yaris

Hyundai Sonata

Chevrolet Aveo

Thank you. I've had all 4 as rentals.

Nissan Sentra - developed a nasty exhaust groan in the 106 summer heat in LV for which I returned it

Toyota Yaris - sounds like a lawn mower, but sips fuel like one, too, so not so bad

Hyandui Sonata - competent but really boring

Chevy Aveo - well, at $9999, it's a throw away, plus the 37 mpg is not good for that small of a car

I wanted to add the Chrysler Sebring convertible. Ergonomics and fit/finish in a new rental were inexcusable. The engine/trans calibration also sucked.

'07 Grand Prix rental.

Hoary 3800 V-6, lazy 4-speed, playskool interior plastics, huge steering wheel, mushy brakes. Even without taking the driving experience into account, the chintzy materials and build quality inside and out make it seem like a cheap half-baked product. I wouldn't take one if it were given to me.

'07 Grand Prix rental.

Hoary 3800 V-6, lazy 4-speed, playskool interior plastics, huge steering wheel, mushy brakes. Even without taking the driving experience into account, the chintzy materials and build quality inside and out make it seem like a cheap half-baked product. I wouldn't take one if it were given to me.

If that's the worst modern car you've driven, you're spoiled.

Isnt that the truth. I havent really ridden in any bad modern cars. I was not a fan of the 1995-2005 Cavalier.

Current gen Sebring Convertible.

My BF's CRV has rather uncomfortable seats but is otherwise tolerable.

What constitutes modern?

'85 Benz diesel wagon (turbo): Seats like concrete, numb handling, scary turbo lag, noise, smell, gutless - a true POS.

'86/87 Cavalier loaner - junk all around.

'07 Grand Prix rental.

I've drive a couple of those, and the '00-04 Impalas as rentals. They were average and mediocre, but perfection compared to the Neon and Cavalier I drove. The GP and Impala seemed about par w/ the '00-05 Taurus rentals I've driven, definitely not as nice as the LHes of the same era I've rented, but not bottom of the barrel.

The current gen Sebring convertible was pretty awful also...forgot that one...that was last year in Florida. The interior plastics were so cheap and nasty, the release handle for the driver's seat back came off in my hand. Just so many things were bad--the trunk lid was huge and really high up, but the space inside w/ the cloth top down was ridiculously tiny, and the trunk area was full of cheap plastic.

I've driven a couple 1st and 2nd gen Sebring convertibles, and they were worlds better than this car inside and out.

Rob

What constitutes modern?

I don't know, maybe within the last 20, at most 25 years? Anything older than that seems like a truly old car to me.

(I started driving in 1986, my first new car was an '87, so that is my reality context).

Rob

My mother's '97 Sebring convertible, what a pile.

The automatic transmission was so slow you got that negative-g feeling like you do when somebody doesn't know how to shift a manual and takes forever between gears.

2004 Prius. I hate it.

Other than that, any modern cars I've driven all seem nice compared to my 94 Century.

97 Buick LeSabre. The best part about the car was the engine, and it was only a 3.8L.

He might be. Very high standards...Westchester County, NY...

I've put about 10,000 miles on 10 to 20 04-08 Grand Prix rentals. They have their demerits (some cheap interior bits), but it's a competent car. Its powertrain will last for 300,000 miles, if minimally taken care of - something that most other American cars in that price range can't do. For a large car that can be had for $20K, it handles mountain roads, such as the ones up to Lake Tahoe, fairly well.

Edited by trinacriabob

He might be. Very high standards...Westchester County, NY...

I've put about 10,000 miles on 10 to 20 04-08 Grand Prix rentals. They have their demerits (some cheap interior bits), but it's a competent car. Its powertrain will last for 300,000 miles, if minimally taken care of - something that most other American cars in that price range can't do. For a large car that can be had for $20K, it handles mountain roads, such as the ones up to Lake Tahoe, fairly well.

Yup, it's pretty much like any other car in that family - all around decent, but very boring and unimpressive. Unimpressive doesn't automatically equal a bad car.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0