Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

C&G Exclusive - 2008 GMC Acadia

Flybrian

The third and most elusive of GM's trio of fullsize Lambda crossovers, GMT968 (GMC's Acadia), has been caught and the first clear pictures are here for your viewing pleasure courtesy of Chris Doane/Brendra Priddy & Co. and Cheers and Gears.

Cheers & Gears has paid for the rights to publish these photos.

Please do NOT re-host or hotlink these pictures.

URL links to this story are fine. Thank you for your cooperation.

Posted Image

This frontal exterior shot gives you a much better idea of how GMC's new yet muscular design language will translate on the large crossover.

Posted Image

This interior shot shows some of the more obvious thoughtfullness that went into the design of the dashboard, notably the liberal use of chrome around the vent bezels.

As for what is under the hood of GMC's newest, expect a high-feature V6 engine at debut with the Ultra V8 powering a Denali version 12-18 months after initial launch. Speaking of launch dates, expect production to start at Delta Township in mid-November of 2006 for a CY2007MY2008 launch.

Watch for the full debut soon, though, not likely at NYIAS as the one GM press conference scheduled is for Saturn. Expect a possible public showing at the Texas State Fair.

PLEASE NOTE (again):

Cheers & Gears has paid for the rights to publish these photos. Please do NOT re-host or hotlink these pictures. URL links to this story are fine

Special thanks to Chris Doane, Venseattle, Camino_LS6, and CSpec for their assistance

Great, another bloated, look-alike truck-thing. :rolleyes: How many more of these does GM need...? :deadhorse:

No offense Brian, it's a great scoop and the pics are great too, kudos on the reporting. I'm just not into trucks and I think GM's too focussed on them, the "if some is good, more is better" philosophy.

Great, another bloated, look-alike truck-thing.   :rolleyes: 

This does not look like the Enclave. That's more important than almost everything else since they will be sharing dealerships. I'm looking forward to seeing more. The Lambdas are looking great!

Great, another bloated, look-alike truck-thing. :rolleyes:  How many more of these does GM need...?  :deadhorse:

No offense Brian, it's a great scoop and the pics are great too, kudos on the reporting.  I'm just not into trucks and I think GM's too focussed on them, the "if some is good, more is better" philosophy.

So...3 lambda crossovers is too many? Saturn, GMC and Buick? Really? That's odd...

i hope people realize that these are the vehicles that could save GM, not CAMAROs. Seriously. In one fell swoop they can wound the now Japanese run minivan segment and they carve a huge niche in the crossover segment. Plus they will steal buyers from the Explorer and Trailblazer set. Lastly, this is a great target vehicle for folks who have only bought sedans before and are looking to drive an 'SUV' for the first time.

that said i see flaws here. the interior does not look up to snuff. the same cheap looking corporate radio.

i bet the outlook dash is the same.

the lambdas are huge products for GM.

I think the Ford Edge will burst open the 2 row mid crossover segment. The Lambdas should rule the 3 row segment for GM.

Edited by regfootball

Just like the Buick, I love it, especially the inside. Kudos to GM for moving ahead in making something they didn't have.

I couldn't agree more that these are the kind of products that will help GMs bottom line in the short and long run.

idk, that 1 looks quite different form this 1

Posted Image

Hey_Now - which interior would you consider the best of the three?

Interesting question. I personally thought the Outlook's interior was better than the 07 Escalade's. Until I saw the Acadia's interior, I think that's the best of the 3. But, if you like brown (which I personally hate), the Enclave will probably be the popular favorite. In the end, the 08 CTS interior blows all of them out of the water.

Damn it.  What I would do to see the CTS interior.

Its funny. I am NOT an interior guy at all (I personally think the current full size pickups have a great interior, I mean, its totally utilitarian and works, i.e. you can rest your hand on the shift lever while in Drive and adjust the radio (brilliant!)). I am all about the exterior when it comes to new models. Until I saw the new CTS interior. I was blown away. Awesome. But on top of that, the exterior is even better! Subtle redesign cues from the current model. Its perfect.

Edited by Hey Now

If the size is right, this could be a more than worthy replacement for Envoy, especially if it has any kind of modern driving dynamics. It's almost fully cloaked, so I can't tell much about its "girlish figure", but it looks promising.

Interesting question.  I personally thought the Outlook's interior was better than the 07 Escalade's. Until I saw the Acadia's interior, I think that's the best of the 3.  But, if you like brown (which I personally hate), the Enclave will probably be the popular favorite.  In the end, the 08 CTS interior blows all of them out of the water.

thanks for your candidness. I am really impressed with GM's upcoming interiors so far, and I like what I'm seeing so far. from what we can see here, initially i was disappointed. i won't make a judgement call either way until final product is shown. I was wishing for more of the concept car's lines.

exterior looks a lot like the Envoy. not sure what to think of it, especially the rear under the heavy padding. It looks to have nice curves, kind of like the Enclave. Again, I really admired the concept's exterior lines and presence; hope they can fit as much of it as possible.

should be nice

This GMC looks pretty good from what I can see (I guess I'm talking mainly about the frontend design). I had this horrible feeling that last year's UGLY concept, the Graphyte, was the inspiration for the frontend design. Thank God my worries are over! The wife really likes the Enclave, even though she has yet to see the Acadai and Outlook. We'll see the Enclave and Outlook at the upcoming NYIAS... too bad the Acadia won't be there too :angry::( I think the Acadia might just be the replacement for my '05 Envoy when the lease ends in '08 (or if I could hold out with the Malibu for another year <not likely>, maybe replace the Malibu with the Acadia!).

I understand the comment about another bloated truck-thing. I was kind of thinking the same thing, too. I do not fully agree with GMC getting this but I understand why GM is giving it to the brand.

I am not a huge fan of the new GMC styling, I think it looks weak and too refined for professional grade. Are we now dealing with professional grade office workers? Soccer moms? The interior looks alright but the black plastic around the center HVAC vents needs to be replaced with wood to break up the almost solid black dashboard. I like how the corporate radio/HVAC controls are incorporated into the center stack better than the Enclave.

Looks like a Jet-Puffed Envoy.

That's exactly what I was thinking, although, of all those platform-mates, it reminds me the most of the Isuzu Ascender:

Posted Image

...Then again, maybe the camo is just playing tricks on me... It's happened before.

The Acadia looks to be shaping up to be an excellent new crossover. I especially like the interior with those chrome-surround vents... classy! Take a close look at the steering column, though; it appears to be coming apart in one place. Hopefully the production versions will display higher levels of quality control.

The only thing that I didn't like was that the window line was really at an angle and then the hood curved down really far and gave it an weird look from the side. In my opinon if the angle of descent was more similar to the window line, then it would look alot better, with no cladding and for the TrailBlazer, make it resemble the grill of the new Tahoe. That would give it some of the success of the new Tahoe, not too similar to make it look like a little Tahoe, but enough to let you know that it is a little brother to the Tahoe. But that's just my opinon.

I like how the corporate radio/HVAC controls are incorporated into the center stack better than the Enclave.

What's wrong with Enclave's radio/HVAC controls? I personally love the way they're integrated into the center stack. Spacing is more proportioned than the LaCrosse. They don't appear like an afterthought at all:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Corporate radio/HVAC controls has long been a criticizing point for GM cars. People claims they look cheap.

What? Have average people acquired the tastes similar to Paris Hilton or Dashiell Hammett? What do they want? Velour HVAC controls that do not need to be pressed or turned and instead be like an iPod "clickwheel"?

Maybe I am just old school (I'm 18) or plain down to earth, but those controls look pretty fitting for the vehicles they are going into. I have seen and felt GM's controls in the new Impala, and when compared to vehicles like the Accord, Camry and Mazda3, they seem on par.

I get the feeling that as Domestic vehicles catch up to their import rivals, people are starting to have to nitpick the small details.

Maybe I am just old school (I'm 18) or plain down to earth, but those controls look pretty fitting for the vehicles they are going into. I have seen and felt GM's controls in the new Impala, and when compared to vehicles like the Accord, Camry and Mazda3, they seem on par.

I think it has more to do with the fact that there's a giant black square that doesn't flow with the rest of the interior just sitting right in the middle of the dash than it does with any of the particular switches on it.

I understand the comment about another bloated truck-thing.  I was kind of thinking the same thing, too.  I do not fully agree with GMC getting this but I understand why GM is giving it to the brand.

I am not a huge fan of the new GMC styling, I think it looks weak and too refined for professional grade.  Are we now dealing with professional grade office workers?  Soccer moms? 

Soccer moms and office workers are probably the majority of drivers of the Envoy and Yukon, likely to be the same for this one..... looking more refined is part of 'professional grade'...

Soccer moms and office workers are probably the majority of drivers of the Envoy and Yukon, likely to be the same for this one.....  looking more refined is part of 'professional grade'...

Yes, and having it vary according the vehicle is a nuance GMC can exploit. For example, a current black GMC Sierra regular bed pickup truck with chrome wheels and factory chrome moldings is shockingly upscale from the outside, especially compared to the goofy and overwrought Ram, Titan, and new Tundra. Reminds me of a tough mafia hood in a tailored suit versus some of these over-bulked athletes that try to dress up.

That's the kind of look GMC should provide - tough, yet elegant.

I think it has more to do with the fact that there's a giant black square that doesn't flow with the rest of the interior just sitting right in the middle of the dash than it does with any of the particular switches on it.

Exactly. That's what I meant when I mentioned the Enclave's interior and, what I think, is the only thing not up to par in an otherwise amazing automotive interior.

While I think the Enclave's interior is pretty good, I agree it would look better if the black plastic was brown like the leather surrounding it, or even aluminum to match the other aluminum on the dash. It looks like the plastic surrounding the heated seat controls is brown, actually.

I may do a photoshop later to experiment.

I like it and I especially like the new GMC Yukon when I saw it in the pictures I didn't like it but in person it looks great actually I see the new Yukon more than the new Tahoe. This will probably have similar styling cues with the new Yukon and I did noticed that the Yukon has similar styling cues like the Envoy this is probably a more updated shape and maybe something like a mini Yukon but with more sloping shapes to it.

Thanks for the pics Flybrian! Now, what's the point of this and the Outlook? And why do Acadia and Outlook look virtually the same? That steering wheel really sucks but the rest of the dashboard looks modern and nice?

the lambdas are huge products for GM.

I think the Ford Edge will burst open the 2 row mid crossover segment.  The Lambdas should rule the 3 row segment for GM.

Agreed, but didn't the Chevy Equinox more or less already burst open the mid-size 2-row crossover segment (check the dimensions-its mid-size, not a compact).

Interesting question.  I personally thought the Outlook's interior was better than the 07 Escalade's. Until I saw the Acadia's interior, I think that's the best of the 3.  But, if you like brown (which I personally hate), the Enclave will probably be the popular favorite.  In the end, the 08 CTS interior blows all of them out of the water.

I know this isn't an Outlook or CTS thread - but I am curious. How have you seen both of these cars? Do you have any idea when the CTS will break cover? We haven't even seen camoed mules running around - much less pics of the interior.

I know this isn't an Outlook or CTS thread - but I am curious.  How have you seen both of these cars?

Ha! :gitfunky: No comment.

Do you have any idea when the CTS will break cover?

They (camoed cars) are already out there, its only a matter of days before someone snaps a pic of one. Edited by Hey Now

Hey there, we noticed you're using an ad-blocker. We're a small site that is supported by ads or subscriptions. We rely on these to pay for server costs and vehicle reviews.  Please consider whitelisting us in your ad-blocker, or if you really like what you see, you can pick up one of our subscriptions for just $1.75 a month or $15 a year. It may not seem like a lot, but it goes a long way to help support real, honest content, that isn't generated by an AI bot.

See you out there.

Drew
Editor-in-Chief

Write what you are looking for and press enter or click the search icon to begin your search

Change privacy settings