2012 Civic unveiled

regfootball

http://www.autoblog....n-five-flavors/

01-2012-honda-civic.jpg

08-2012-honda-civic.jpg

03-2012-honda-civic.jpg

Fugly with a big capital F!!!!! at least the coupe is. look at that horrible front window execution.

look at the ghastly dash!

2012 compact rankings

tier 1

Focus, Cruze, Elantra

tier 2

Jetta, new Impreza, Mazda3, Kia Forte

tier 3

Lancer, Sentra

tier 4

Corolla, Civic

Edited by regfootball

Same as the "new" Corolla reveal 10 months ago. At least Honda has a better base to start from.

While it looks similar to the old car, it has an all-new exterior and interior. Trouble is, they made it uglier.

What's with that jacked up ride height? I wouldn't be surprised if it lost IRS. Like VW did for the Jetta, I suspect Honda is trying to make the new Civic more profitable and cheaper to build.

How did they mess up the front window so much? Aside from that I think it looks pretty good for what it is, though this is the SI model.

It will be interesting to see if what basically looks like an MCE, both interior and exterior, will hurt Honda or not. There's nothing really wrong with it, it's just that we've already seen a car that's 80% the same for 5 years.

The shifter looks obnoxiously big, and they made the little "hood" thing where the speedo is bigger, with some sort of screen on it (for fuel economy, etc?). The current hood is small enough that it's really not that noticeable once you get used to it, but this hood seems too large.

Why does it look so far off the ground? That's 4x4 ride height.

I'll have to compare the changes, but the concept somehow looked much better.

That interior, looks designed by a blind man, and the sheen off of the plastics suggest its also cheap.

It doesn't look to me like Honda has really advanced its product, especially compared to the Focus, Cruze, and Elantra.

I'd equate this to 2010-up Mustang vs 2005-2009. It looks like every piece of sheetmetal below the roof is new. The coupe actually looks more muscular, with the redone rear quarter glass and the "hips" over the rear wheels.

That's about all the praise you'll get from me. They totally screwed up with the fixed glass on the front door, and there was no reason to do so other than for change's sake. Unfortunately, it totally kills the car's exterior.

Interior is what it is. I find it interesting that they show a pic of the interior with the automatic shifter. I guess they're moving the Si away from the tuner crowd?? Otherwise I'd have banked on a manual being between the front buckets.

I guess the little window at the front of the door is there because there isn't enough room for a full piece of glass to go all the way down. The black triangle looks worse than the little window on the previous generation...the basic problem is the windshield is angled back too much, and the base of the A-pillar too far forward..The Alfa Romeo Giuletta is a good example of a FWD compact that doesn't this bad A-pillar design.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

It's the same roofline and the same A-pillar. They changed something that didn't need to be changed, and made it uglier in the process.

• Agree 1

Actually I believe the windshield is more steeply raked, so its not the same.

Honestly the Si's problem is that it has the ride height of a CRV and the wheels look small. Drop it and enlarge the wheels...

post-1757-0-69509000-1297990446.jpg

and I think it looks good. Much sleeker and better proportioned somehow than the old one, and I like it better than the Cruze.

If nothing else, those changes are easily doable in real life, unlike say, tweaking the Cruze's fascias. The Cruze mops the floor with it inside though.

I still don't like the new coupe...it looks like it has a perfect arch roofline.

I don't think that's the Si interior. The current one spins to 8k rpm (redline) and this one shows a redline below 7k rpm. That's probably the EX-L interior, since that's the only model you can current get with leather (except maybe the Si, I'm not sure). Plus you can't even get an auto in the Si currently.

Well, it's curvier, which is good. And I daresay that it looks much better than the current model (though that's not saying much). There's much more drama in the design, and it isn't nearly as ho-hum bland as its been in the past. I like the rear q-windows on the coupe, but the front side windows are just fussy and horribly executed. Were they trying to make it more aerodynamic with the windows down or something? Being that its a Civic, I still don't like it on principal alone (Lord knows how many ricer douchebags are gonna scoop these up and do flybys on innocent motorists like they've got something to prove), but it's also still no prize, aesthetically.

What's wrong with the compact market? The only one coming out that doesn't look like the bastard child of a 90's anime mecha is the Focus (which instead looks like a catfish).

First of all, these are terrible photos. I'm going to give it the benefit of the doubt until some better pictures emerge. Hopefully that reduces the SUV ride height of the Si somewhat. That said, the interior looks basically the same. Except it has a big, obnoxious Econ button with a leaf on it. BARF.

First of all, these are terrible photos. I'm going to give it the benefit of the doubt until some better pictures emerge. Hopefully that reduces the SUV ride height of the Si somewhat. That said, the interior looks basically the same. Except it has a big, obnoxious Econ button with a leaf on it. BARF.

No more obnoxious than a big, red "POWER" button.

Don't like the weird spoiler on the back of the Si coupe, and sincerely hope the EX doesn't have it. Not gonna say anything bad about the car because I am so happy they haven't abandoned their many coupe customers. I am sure this car will look better in natural light.

there is actually quite a bit different in details, but the same overall sort of theme. the side greenhouse in the rear is similar but they have slightly different slopes and the added kinks, and also the way they trim the windows on the coupe is different too. below the belt there are the obviously re sculpting and bulges added. and of course the new A pillar gaffe. There are likely elements of the safety cage and unibody that have carried over though. lots of reference points probably had to stay the same. this is really the sort of thing GM used to be good at with some of their ancient platforms.

clearly honda wanted to make minimal investment, but also wanted to give the impression of an all new car. IMO this is equivalent to Honda mailing it in. Honda hasn't really demonstrated engineering genius lately in the Accord and Civic that used to be their hallmark.

In a similar vein this is really what VW did with the Jetta now too.

Edited by regfootball

Sounds like the Hybrid only gets 45 MPG, I wonder what would happen if they stuck e-Assist and an Automatic Transmission into the Cruze Eco model... they'd maybe crack 50 MPG.

I'm wondering though, if Honda has made half the changes to the Civic HF as Chevy did to the Cruze ECO. Not knowing what they did (if they did similar to what Chevy did) Honda hopes to achieve with the Civic HF a targeted 41 MPG from the 1.8L Non-turbocharged engine that it uses. If it had yet a more efficient motor, maybe it would oust the Cruze ECO in MPG. Oh wait, that's what the hybrid is. That said, I think there is potential room for improvement on both ends.

Sounds like the Hybrid only gets 45 MPG, I wonder what would happen if they stuck e-Assist and an Automatic Transmission into the Cruze Eco model... they'd maybe crack 50 MPG.

You'll get to find out when the Verano eAssist comes out.

I think the sedan looks a hundred times better than the current sedan.

Part of the reason Honda has received such outcry from these photos is that the shadows are very poorly photoshopped, and it appears that the ride-height is unusually high (compare it to the spyshots and the current Civic, something wrong here). Honda has a history of releasing poor PR photos. Hondas always look better in person or in real-world average person shots.

Here is a chop I did that has good shadowing and proper ride height:

2012hondacivicfront34shop1.jpg

Aside from that, the only thing I don't like about this new Civic is the plastic triangle piece that sits in front of the side mirrors. Otherwise, I think it is a big improvement, externally, over the current Civic. It looks far more curvy and much better integrated. It is an evolution of the current Civic, so it doesn't look hugely different. Given how successful the current Civic is, I don't think they wanted to risk much. Instead, they made lots of subtle to moderate changes.

It's kinda disappointing how they replaced the hot i-VTEC screamer from the old Si with a normal large-displacement four-cylinder from the Accord. Sure, it makes more torque and costs less to build, but it's also less distinctive. Normal uplevel compact cars already have such engines - Corolla XRS, Forte Koup SX, Mazda3 S, etc.

BTW, the MPG figures for Civic Hybrid is combined 45 MPG, not highway. Otherwise there'd be no point to buying the Hybrid when the HF is so close.

Edited by pow

Hyundai's latest cars look goofy as hell. I wouldn't be caught drunk in an Elantra. The Sonata isn't as bad, and looks somewhat substantial from the rear and side. That front though, YUCK.

Kindergarten styling combined with a track record of building the cheapest cars around. I think I'll pass on the S. Koreans for now, they have growing up to do still. Oh, the Forte looks alright. That's about it.

• Agree 1

It makes me ill to look at, but its a coupe. That puts it ahead of everything GM has below, what, $23K? If someone put a gun to my head and I HAD to buy something new and cheap, it would have to be a coupe... sedans are just too tight. This Civic would be on a very short list... unlike GM's non-existent coupes... but I'd probably take the Kia Forte coupe first. I morn the passing of the Cobalt, G5 and G6 coupes.

I don't care if it has one door or no doors, I'd rather have a handsome sedan than an ugly coupe. I respect Honda for continuing to make the coupe, but wish it wasn't so awkward looking.

If I was forced to buy a similarly sized sedan, it would sit unused, as I could not physically drive it without using a sawzall on the B-pillar and removing the driver's side doors and seat... THEN I could drive the car from the back seat.

However... I prefer to drive something with doors, unless I'm delivering bulk products.

Hyundai's latest cars look goofy as hell. I wouldn't be caught drunk in an Elantra. The Sonata isn't as bad, and looks somewhat substantial from the rear and side. That front though, YUCK.

Kindergarten styling combined with a track record of building the cheapest cars around. I think I'll pass on the S. Koreans for now, they have growing up to do still. Oh, the Forte looks alright. That's about it.

Quit stealing the words out of my mouth, thanks.

You forgot to mention the Genesis Coupe looks great (on paper).

I don't care if it has one door or no doors, I'd rather have a handsome sedan than an ugly coupe. I respect Honda for continuing to make the coupe, but wish it wasn't so awkward looking.

The coupe looks really awkward in these photos. If you look at non-PR photos from the concept, it looks much more proportionate. It will probably look a lot better in real life, but that's nothing new.

2012civiccoupeconceptfront34-1.jpg

Interesting Saturn swoosh down the side there. :AH-HA: Yes, the Concept coupe rides at a normal Honda height, and hopefully these horrible pictures of the production car are not representative. Otherwise they're copying the Chevrolet Cobalt 4X4 Ride Attitude.

I think Honda tried to copy the new Astra greenhouse and then realized they had to put the plastic triangle in because they did a pissasspoor job of locating all the elements.

2012civiccoupeconceptfront34-1.jpg2012+Opel+Astra+GTC_1.jpg

2012+Opel+Astra+GTC.jpg

I the only one who thinks the Astra coupe maybe even as a Chevy would kick the Civic's ass in a performance match and a sales match? mitotallywant. chevy astra anyone?

Edited by regfootball

• 5 months later...

Wow. This is almost a much of a step in reverse...or would that be a sprint...as the new Jetta.