More Malibu Spy Photos

To be honest these shots really are showing that this car will suprise a few people that did not believe a decent car was possible out of the camao mess.

The longer tail will improve the space which I never had issue with. What it will really improve is the ability to swollow a larger box that would not fit through the short opening. The trunk opening ont he present car is horrible for anything tall. I could load up the present truck well but had to put many items in through the back seat since the short opening would not accept them.

A functional trunk in this class is a must and this will solve that major issue issue. Short trunks are sexy and better left to Camaro's and CTS coupes where trunks are less a factor.

Still not liking it much. The span from the top of the hood to the top of the wheelwell opening is getting huge, and that's where this car deceives as far as apparent size goes.

Wheelbase is shorter, which while it may possibly make for more trunk room, it will make for tighter door openings definitely & less interior room most likely. The wheels moved in the wrong direction. It's just looking bulky and a bit bloated so far, and the frontal overhang looks a LOT larger than the current car. Really looking forward to side-by-side pics.

Edited by balthazar

the long overhangs will look dorky and dated, hopefully the rest can cover that up so it doesn't look stupid.

current bu has nice side proportions but is not wide enough. so then they shrink the wheelbase to an already space challenged design.

or, they may do something like make a spacious cabin and trunk, but it will have a crappy interior and huge overhangs.

if this car has a crappy interior its not going to matter one bit what they do with the rest of it. interiors mean so much in the market these days. it certainly won't look athletic or graceful apparently.

• Disagree 1

So it seems we'll get a good looking Epica at last, instead of the current puke-fest. Good!

The rear overhang does look lokger than the Insignia sedan's; could the Malibu/Epica be using a rear overhang similar (in length) to the Insignia wagon's? That'd mean something around 4900mm in length for the Malibu/Epica comapred to 4800mm-something for the Insignia/Regal.

Edited by ZL-1

I like the profile a little more then the past spy photos. I'm still more concerned about it having mediocre drivtrain performance.

If it has the same 2.4 DI and 2.0 turbo tunes as the regal it will not be class competitive in either acceleration or fuel economy which are both very important in this segment.

Not really sure why people like this car. I find it just bland though better than last generation. Guess the BMW butt on the car has grown on me. Over all I find it on the ugly side. Plus everything is so low to the ground. Another reason I will not give up my SUV.

Not Thrilled yet with the malibu. :nono:

Edited by dfelt

the long overhangs will look dorky and dated, hopefully the rest can cover that up so it doesn't look stupid.

current bu has nice side proportions but is not wide enough. so then they shrink the wheelbase to an already space challenged design.

or, they may do something like make a spacious cabin and trunk, but it will have a crappy interior and huge overhangs.

if this car has a crappy interior its not going to matter one bit what they do with the rest of it. interiors mean so much in the market these days. it certainly won't look athletic or graceful apparently.

It will be shorter but wider.

The camo is playing tricks on our eyes. The rear overhang isn't significantly bigger than the Regal's. The front overhang looks small for a FWD car :thumbsup:

Overall, it has a nice shape and should be the looker of the segment when it comes out.

I think this is a HUGE improvement over the last set of spy photos we saw. The front overhang isn't nearly as obnoxious and the taillamps look far better than they did in the computer generated 'Bu.

I really want to see the finished interior. I think GM is going to surprise us and knock it out of the park.

After the Auto Show tour the Malibu is not as crappy as you make it. The Fusion is not much better or worse and many of the other like Kia are just crap. The new Bu will have something as good or even better than the Regal. Each of GM's new cars keep improving on the interior. Until we see the finished product it is foolish to write it off yet.

It will be shorter but wider.

Widers better or so I was told! :smilewide:

I think this is a HUGE improvement over the last set of spy photos we saw. The front overhang isn't nearly as obnoxious and the taillamps look far better than they did in the computer generated 'Bu.

I really want to see the finished interior. I think GM is going to surprise us and knock it out of the park.

I really glad to see that I am not the only one who thinks it made a big jump in looks. While it is not going to ever be a Maserati it should do well for the market segment it is aimed at. They sell a hell of a lot of boring sedans because there are a lot of boring buyers and that is what they want. Who's to argue with them as their money is just as green as anyone elese.

I agree while not everyone will love this car it will suprice many once it is done and the sales should also suprise if GM keep the price competitive.

Edited by hyperv6

The front looks a bit like the Accord, which probably isn't a bad thing for this segment. I like the possible of Camaro-like tail lights, that would be unique and stylish. Not a fan of the Bangle-butt trunk, hopefully that part looks alright on the final version.

4-cylinder and turbo 4 are adequate, there has to be a diesel or hybrid also.

not liking the dash. the shifter is well, .......erotic in some way to some. perhaps. cough.

that interior is not the least cohesive or appealing and really can't they just design a tasteful decent interior and give it nice materials?

Edited by regfootball
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 3

http://blogs.insidel...u-interior.html

Some of the graining isn't there yet, but it's more finished than the last time we saw it.

I was hoping those horizontal pieces were somehow not "finished" yet... I'm not a fan. I see that those are probably going to stay. Other than that, the squarish pods for the gauges, I like it a lot.

If that's what the interior looks like, all I can say is ICKY.

Cruze is classier than that quite frankly. Seems they are looking at going away from the current Malibu with the classy, understated exterior lines and interior that makes it look like a more expensive car than it is, for more cluttered and incoherent styling. Hopefully not just for the sake of it. The ironic thing is that back in the 1960s wealthy people would buy Malibus because they looked and felt like more expensive cars and were of a high quality. I think the current one is the only thing that comes close to that today... I'll reserve on the exterior until I see it complete but that interior is not looking promising.

Seems like that's the design. Edmunds is calling them strakes.

Not really digging those... Otherwise the interior looks fine to me; the twin curvatures are reminiscent of old Corvettes and there is some connection to both the Camaro and the Traverse.

Edited by ZL-1

I like the strakes, if for no other reason than that it's different. It does give a slight tip of the hat to some late 50s/early 60s Chevy dashes. GM actually made an attempt to sculpt the dash rather than offer the same slab that pretty much everyone else is offering these days.

I know what he is talking about. It is just not "GM" to have a hand brake.

You mean, like on the Aveo, Corvette, Cruze, G6, Cobalt, Camaro, Solstice/Sky, okay... I'm stopping there... what are you talking about "it's just not 'GM' to have a hand brake"?

Most GM vehicles had a foot brake until recently when some of the cadillac and buicks got electronic parking brakes. The only time they got a hand brake was if a manual transmission was offered on the car.

why jump on the new guy? just making an observation

When the new guy comes swinging out the gate with name-calling, snide insults, and generally obnoxious behavior...let's just say it doesn't go over very well with most people.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 3

I recall my sisters old Grand Am had a hand brake, I think it has to do with seats. A car with a standard it available bench seat would have no place for a hand brake, and many GM cars from the last 20 years did have benches available.

I recall my sisters old Grand Am had a hand brake, I think it has to do with seats. A car with a standard it available bench seat would have no place for a hand brake, and many GM cars from the last 20 years did have benches available.

Your sister's grand am also would have had a manual shifter available that year.

When the new guy comes swinging out the gate with name-calling, snide insults, and generally obnoxious behavior...let's just say it doesn't go over very well with most people.

I didn't name call anyone.... except maybe snookie... unless she is also a member here, I don't see the problem.

The newe interior is like the exterior. We just need to wait till they are done. Just look at how many people have noticed the car already looks better. The interior once it has the correct surface material, trim and color it will take on a better look.

Welcome new guy. There aew a few who play rough at times. Don't take it personel as there are really good people here too.

Just to note GM has plenty of hand brakes but they also have overlooked cars that should have has them like my GTP and even the First Gen CTS V. If they can put one in my SS why not the other performance cars?

Just to note GM has plenty of hand brakes but they also have overlooked cars that should have has them like my GTP and even the First Gen CTS V. If they can put one in my SS why not the other performance cars?

Wait, the first gen CTS-V didn't have a handbrake? :confused0071:

Never knew that

None of the first gen CTSes had a hand brake.

Never knew that

I never knew that.. I had to look at pictures to be sure about that

Never knew that

I never knew that.. I had to look at pictures to be sure about that

I never missed it in the automatics but the first 6 speed I drove I reached for it and it was not where I would have expected it.

I like the one in the Fiero. It is on the left side. You set it and push it back down after it locks.

Edited by hyperv6

I plussed you back up to "0" because that was my EXACT take on it.