Cadillac Takes A Trip In The Ciel Concept

Cadillac Ciel Concept Celebrates the Journey

post-10485-0-75917400-1313721506.png

2011 Cadillac Ciel Concept Gallery

PEBBLE BEACH, Calif. – Cadillac today unveiled the Ciel concept, an elegant, open-air grand-touring car inspired by the natural beauty of the California coast.

The Ciel – pronounced “C-L,” the French translation for sky – is a four-seat convertible that opens a new chapter in Cadillac’s design and product ascent, pushing the brand’s Art & Science philosophy into a new stratum. Ciel is a new expression of Cadillac’s historical grandeur, as well as a celebration of open-air motoring.

“Large, expressive luxury is innate to Cadillac and the Ciel recalls that heritage, while suggesting where the brand can go in the future,” said Clay dean, global design director for Cadillac. “Authentic luxury is driven by experiences, not just products, and Ciel is about the experience of the journey.”

The spacious and elegant Ciel is a grand gesture that explores themes driving Cadillac’s explorations into range-topping flagship luxury. It is powered by a twin-turbocharged version of the 3.6-liter Direct Injection V-6 engine, paired with a hybrid system using lithium-ion battery technology.

Coastal inspiration

Driving California’s Highway 1 in an open car while the sun sets, from Big Sur north to Monterey, is the type of journey the Ciel team envisioned during its design.

“The Ciel is about the romance of the drive,” said Dean. “It emulates the great touring cars seen on the greens at Pebble Beach, but with a modern flair that projects Cadillac’s vision for the future.”

The four-door Ciel embraces the social aspects of a recreational journey, with generous room for two couples. It evokes the spirit of the classics with a long, low proportion. The doors are French-style, with the rear doors hinged at the rear – there is no B-pillar – to reveal a sweeping view of the dramatic interior. Distinguishing fender lines run from nose to tail, and nickel-plated bright work accents the body lines, enhancing the visual length of the car and honoring Cadillac touring cars of the past.

Ciel’s exterior flows seamlessly into the cabin, with the body color rolling over on top of the interior door panels. Like the exterior, the passenger space is accented with sweeping nickel-plated trim. It divides the body-color upper sections from a complementing beige lower color. Italian Olive wood, machined aluminum and hand-tipped leather are elements that flow through the interior, complementing the primary colors with warm, rich tones.

“There is authentic craftsmanship in the way the exterior and interior elements meld, much like a vintage wooden boat,” said Gael Buzyn, interior design manager. “It is romantic, not only in its form, but the materials – nothing smells as good as real wood and leather. It blends together for a rewarding feeling of uncompromising luxury.”

Ciel literally and figuratively reflects the driving experience along the California coastline. The Cabernet paint color, developed specifically for Ciel, is inspired by the rich translucence of a glass of red wine held up to the sunlight.

A prominent, polished aluminum windshield frame serves as in important structural element of the vehicle, as well as aesthetic one, recalling classic open cars of the past. Additional exterior cues, including a shield grille and vertical lighting elements, are pure Cadillac, but suggest a more organic interpretation of the brand’s signature design language that emphasizes the artistic and natural sides of it. The body sides, for example, are more rounded, sweeping upward. Bright work is used to bring contrast to the deep paint color, but plays a more supporting role.

The car rides on large, beautifully finished wheels that feature brushed nickel plating over milled billet aluminum, matching the materials and appearance of other trim. Carbon ceramic brake rotors are visible behind the 22-inch rims, a visual clue to the Ciel’s foundation of performance.

And owing to Cadillac’s heritage of advanced technology, the headlamps and taillamps feature LED lighting elements – including a unique daytime running light graphic on the front of the vehicle that is generated with gradated LED lighting.

Elegant, authentic details

Simplicity, authenticity and spaciousness were the guiding principles when it came to developing the Ciel’s interior.

“With the Ciel, the journey is the thing, so the interior is a place of uncompromising comfort and elegance, with technology that only makes the journey more enjoyable,” said Buzyn. “Simplicity and lightness ensure nothing distracts from the open driving experience, while the color and materials lend the feeling that the vehicle’s environment blends with the surroundings.”

A wheelbase of 125 inches – about 12 inches longer than a CTS sedan – provides generous space. Luxurious seats are bisected by a “floating” center console that runs from the instrument panel to the rear of the interior. It effectively creates a very personal space for each passenger and houses access to hidden connectivity portals for each person in the vehicle – allowing them to make dinner reservations, check the weather at their destination or even upload photos of the trip via social media sights.

Simplicity is also the watchword with the Ciel’s instrument panel, which features a minimalist gauge cluster that doesn’t impede or distract from the outward view. But while reserved in its form, it exemplifies Cadillac’s attention to details and its priority on authentic materials. The climate vents, for example, are mostly hidden and their airflow is distributed indirectly.

Transparent gauges deliver their information within a detailed, brushed-aluminum housing that has the intricate depth of a high-quality chronograph. They offer dual readouts – analog and digital – as well as an information hierarchy. Additional interior features include:

• •Sloping bolsters on the seats that allow passengers to slide into the seats more comfortably
  • •A personal device storage area on the front of the console with inductive charging and Bluetooth connectivity
  • •A power-assisted transmission shifter that deploys as soon as the engine is started
  • •Lighting in the armrests that combines a natural light well for daytime driving and ambient lighting for nighttime drives
  • •Door storage areas that are inspired by premium fashion accessories and open with high-quality zippers
  • •Pull-out blankets are available for all three passengers and retract automatically
  • •All the seats have heating and cooling features, along with a drawer containing sun lotion, sun glasses and towels, as well as aromatherapy that is controlled from the rear armrest.

But perhaps the defining element of the Ciel’s cabin is the incorporation of Italian Olive wood on the doors, instrument panel, console and the front seatbacks, adding warmth and craftsmanship to a car designed to provoke an emotional response.

“Milled solid wood delivers richness and a sensual feeling of authenticity in the visual impact of the grain, its feel and aroma, which a veneer simply cannot,” said Buzyn. “Even in our high-tech, connected world, luxury customers crave touches of old-world craftsmanship – the Ciel simply reflects that with a blend of the latest technology.”

Italian Olive wood is a premium yet sustainable material and the material used in the Ciel came from a single fallen and recycled tree, from a west coast producer of premium olive oil. It was painstakingly prepared, including drying in a kiln, before it was cut for the concept vehicle. The numerous pieces were then photographed so that the grain could be matched precisely. Each component was hand-milled and finished by expert woodworking craftsmen.

The rear seating area is detailed with elegant flourishes. The rear seat passengers can pull a leather tab, which reveals a cashmere blanket that stretches across the seating area to ward off a chill. The wood trim in the rear center console opens to reveal a small humidor, stocked with a few cigars.

“From the materials used to create it to the space and experience it offers passengers, the Ciel represents a unique perspective on luxury, but not the only one,” said Dean. “Along with other concepts, such as the ULC, Cadillac is demonstrating that the bandwidth of the Art & Science philosophy is wide, indeed – and we’re going to make it even wider.”

The Ciel was developed at GM Design’s North Hollywood Design Center, which is managed by Frank Saucedo. Niki Smart was the lead exterior designer, with Buzyn leading interior development.

post-10485-0-36698700-1313721474.png

They made a convertible version of the Lincoln Sentinal. Why build a concept for a car they can't and won't build. Even as a styling exercise, I can't see Cadillac making anything with that front end. This brand is going in so many different directions, they have no focus.

• Disagree 11

Two words for this car: f@#kING AWESOME.

Whoever designed this car captured what I have always thought a modern big Cadillac should look like, but have never been able to articulate. This is what the XTS Sedan should have looked like, and what the RWD flagship should still look like. More linear and a definite positive evolution of A&S. Love the protruding taillights and the hood/front fascia sculpting. Rear deck is reminiscent of 1967-69 Eldorado. Slap a hardtop on it and build it- Sedan or big coupe I don't care.

That kind of uber-amorphous, high body radius look is already gone.

Sixteen had high impact for it's time, everything front of the A-pillar was very sharp, but the rest of the design was relatively flat, IMO.

Conceptually, I really like the linking of Cadillac's heritage vertical tails with thinner & taller headlamps here. Cohesive.

But overall, the Ciel exercises proper heritage cues for high impact. Love the classic bowed hood & deck... and wow- 77.5" wide; nice!

Put these proportions in the Omega and we're talkin'!

i love the late sixties / seventies spirit in the car and the length and overhang and bombastic front end and fins and blades and all that.....

a great now interpretation of an old feeling and I love how its not another squat art and science knockoff.

creativity is alive and well at GM. I love the spirit in this design and it walks a tightrope of having to be a bit modern.

Cadillac fans haven't had this sort of length to celebrate in quite a while.....

I don't agree with all of it, but it sure is a conversation piece.......

the other significance, Cadillac is firing shots out in the design arena.......it's going to resume being bold and taking some chances.

Edited by regfootball

I have to say it looks a little too early 1970's to me... But it is a good hint that the Omega-based Cadillac is coming! :)

Interesting too, that a 3.6L twin turbo V6 is in there. Given that they were using the 2.8L for turbocharged applications (most likely due to cylinder wall thickness - durability), has GM strengthened the 3.6L version of the block enough to allow for twin turbocharging?

To be fair I do have to say the tail has some nice usefull traits that could move to a production car. It has that late 60's Eldo look about it and that is a good thing.

The nose looks like a old Lincoln show car and the side has the slab sided Continental look which does little for me. I am just not a fan of a lifeless slab sided boxed nose car.

• Disagree 1

Love the proportions, the shaping and bodylines, the materials, the size, the detailing, the heritage cues - nearly the entire package. The nose is the only major design problem I have with it, it's almost there but seems unfinished and somewhat tacked-on.

The back is pure perfection.

And, it is so nice to see curves in the shaping of the fenders again. I have no idea where Hyper thinks he sees a slab-sided look.

Long, sleek, and very Cadillac.

Bravo.

• Agree 1

Love the proportions, the shaping and body lines, the materials, the size, the detailing, the heritage cues - nearly the entire package. The nose is the only major design problem I have with it, it's almost there but seems unfinished and somewhat tacked-on.

The back is pure perfection.

And, it is so nice to see curves in the shaping of the fenders again. I have no idea where Hyper thinks he sees a slab-sided look.

Long, sleek, and very Cadillac.

Bravo.

After a forth look I see what you mean WRT the nose I think it has to do with the lack of size in the lighting system. With the narrowness of the light module it opens up the face in a greater proportion than we've seen since the eighty's that and the fact that this is a wide car (as should be). I sure see the Eldorado in this concept and pray when brought to market it's NOT given a three letter alphic name by then Caddy should have been done with the naming system and moved on to actual names that mean something. This really kinda irks me Caddys used to be named with Spanish names & Buick used French names right?

Interesting.

I like the size... the width... the rear. Like the dome of the hood.

Front could use some slight tweaking... I would separate the little vents from the headlight elements.

I'd prefer to see an LSA in there. 425hp twin turbo V6 sounds like something I would see going back to the shop for warranty work every weekend, with a giant hole burned into the top of a piston.

This screams "make me a coupe".

Wheels are kinda meh.

Name is awful. Price will be awful... shame GM can't give some of this styling magic and substance downmarket.

Good 70's resemblance. A very distinctively Cadillac - that does not chase any brands.

A post-bankruptcy concept that can finally say GM got its inspiration. Technology/platform preview is more interesting too. Overall a very solid effort.

The power train is a HUGE hint as to what is to come.

425hp 430lb-ft Twin Turbo V6? There is your ATS-V engine right there.

As for styling. Art & Science 3.0

Could be a hint of what to expect in the ATS-V, but if it is to be 3.6L it has to be a heavily reworked block. There's a reason GM turbocharged the 2.8L version and not the 3.2L or the 3.6L versions of the HF V6.

EDIT - But since there was a 2.8L installed on a 9-3 and doing 400hp (that car was once photographed at the Trollhättan parking lot), maybe the 3.0L can approach these numbers with ease.

Edited by ZL-1

Could be a hint of what to expect in the ATS-V, but if it is to be 3.6L it has to be a heavily reworked block. There's a reason GM turbocharged the 2.8L version and not the 3.2L or the 3.6L versions of the HF V6.

EDIT - But since there was a 2.8L installed on a 9-3 and doing 400hp (that car was once photographed at the Trollhättan parking lot), maybe the 3.0L can approach these numbers with ease.

I'd want dwight's opinion on that.

I'd want dwight's opinion on that.

I'm sure he can tell you that GM went with the 2.8L version before instead of the 3.6L due to cylinder wall thickness, since they were (at least that's how it was explained to me) the same block, essentially with different bores. I am assuming that unless the LFX (is that the name of the new 3.6L?) is strong enough (which it could very well be), GM will go with a smaler displacement version, say something around 3.0L.

Edited by ZL-1

I love this car! It's obnoxious in the best possible way. The face needs a wider grille or bigger headlights but come on there's no way that those skinny headlights would ever make it into a production car. Please keep exploring this concept. This is a car that I would aspire to own!

OMG I just looked again... pure lust fills my heart. I haven't felt this way about a Cadillac design since I saw the sixteen for the first time. WOW.

Edited by SoCalCTS

I just watched a video on this and it looks better in the video than the pictures. I know many people like it and while I am not as cold to it as I was you still will not find a poster of it in my Garage.

Sorry it just screams Lincoln to me more than Cadillac.

I will reserve full judgment till I see it in person. So many cars today just do not photo well and look so much better in person.

But if they do build something based on this and it sell I don't care what it looks like as long as it sells.

Edited by hyperv6

• 2 weeks later...

Might note this car may not be anything really new. I just bought the Jim Dunn book and on Page 201 there is a photo of this car in his book.

He quotes that "Too bad GM come up with the whereforall to get this baby on the road. To this day, it pouts in one of GM stylings back studio's"

It must have come to a suprise to him they rolled it out.

The book is Car Spy by Jim Dunne. It is a very interesting book on getting the goods on the new cars. I have just started to read it in my spare time. There are some interesting photos I had not seen. One of a Pontiac coupe that thank god they did not build. Also there is a Aztek that would have not been great but it would have been an inprovment.

Not some of his caption I suspect either got put in wrong or he missed it on the discriptions. Most of them are mix ups on the early W bodies. He also does not or can not ID cars not built testing that today I know what they were going to be before being canceled. Other wise it is a must read for most here.

Edited by hyperv6