Gas mileage you get

With $ 3 + a gallon gas, who isn't concerned about gas mileage. My current car, at 14 years and 225,000 miles, still gets what was posted on the window sticker...about 18 in town and 28 on a road trip. It still gets that 28....amazing.

Cautiously, I'm looking at new cars. I've been out of town the last 3 weekends, so I've had the opportunity to rent.

I had a GP as a rental in Florida. On a road trip across the lower part of the state, the 3800 returned 27.7 mpg (with the AC on the whole time and some non-freeway driving). This past weekend, I was in L.A. I wanted a Monte 3.5 to see the mpg, but they gave me an Impala 3.5. UNBELIEVABLE. From LA to Santa Barbara and back, mostly freeway, some bottlenecks and the AC on part of the time), I got 233.6 miles divided by 7.437 gallons = 31.41 mpg. C'mon folks, for a car like that and not even driven cautiously, that is fantastic. Driven at 65 with no air would have probably returned 33 or so.

What kind of MPG do you get? Happy or sad about that?

Edited by trinacriabob

hmm... i dont know the seperate numbers... because i do alot of combined driving... but over gas mileage for the 3800 s/c in my monte is like 19-20

Well....I do a lot of city driving with my Impala....so i usually get about 22-24mpg on a tank....with about 3/4 of the tank being stop and go driving. On a highway trip with it I usually get about 27-28mpg.

I burn E85 in the suburban. I have burned through about 10 tanks of it and seems to have averaged out at about 13 mpg. Compaired to about 14.5-15 i was getting with regular gas. I was pulling my boat this last weekend as was getting about 11mpg with it. I gets a little steap. I put over $150 in gas in both the boat and the suburban at one stop....OUCH.

But if I want to be able to go fishing and skiing in the summer....and to be able to pull my snowmobiles around in the winter...I need a suburban or something at least as big. It won't work to have anything smaller. So I guess that I'll just eat the extra cost and deal with it, although I can see myself driving the impala more and more if I don't have to be pulling something.

with my 11 year old Gen one SC Riviera 3800 I average aboubt 15-18 MPG combined....which is pretty bad IMO....I don't even drive it hard most of the time.

in my 1979 Delta 88 with a Rocket 350 I'm somewhere around 10 MPG

Our Cobalt gets 39 mpg when I use it, 42 when my wife uses it, and 37 mpg when my friend borrows it (he is a big time lead foot driver).

We've never gone under the 34 mpg mark, even when we only did in town driving. To our positive suprise, GM got the EPA gas mileage wrong by a LONG shot.

We are considering an HHR. Anybody getting the same kind of gas mileage out of those?

Edited by Dsuupr

My wife's CTS (3.2L) is averaging about 24mpg per fillup. She drives 70% expressway 30% suburban, but travels during rush hour (lots of traffic jams).

My Trailblazer is getting 16.5 mpg suburban driving and about 23 - 25 mpg highway. Taking a trip (600 miles roundtrip) to southern Illinois this weekend, so I'll check the highway mileage out again.

The Trailblazer mileage has dropped about 1 mpg the last 2 weeks, so I don't know if it's the gas/ethanol mix or the brand of gas I'm using.

Our Cobalt gets 39 mpg when I use it, 42 when my wife uses it, and 37 mpg when my friend borrows it (he is a big time lead foot driver).

We've never gone under the 34 mpg mark, even when we only did in town driving.  To our positive suprise, GM got the EPA gas mileage wrong by a LONG shot.

Hmm, what size engine do you have? :)

29 and change when driving purely HIGHWAY... I don't bother checking otherwise

When I'm easy on the gas I get about 25 combined. I guess thats not too bad for a car with 280hp since I did some work to it. I could probably get about 30 if it was all highway.

'84 Datsun: 32 combined (it's a six after all and I burn rubber in it)

'68 Camaro: (now gone :( ) 11 - 17 depending on the day, :ph34r: I averaged about 14.

'97 Q45: have to do the math still... I'll go through the 30 or so receipts & calculate it.

'97 STS: between 18-20.

My old 1991 S10 Blazer 4.3 5-speed got low 20s on the highway.

Hoping for 19-20 combined from the DuraMax... if I can keep my foot out of it. ;)

What? :blink:

Did I miss a thread? You got a Duramax, I'm jealous! Spill the beans.

the Caprice gets 17-18 city if i drive sanely about 12 on average. if i drive sanely on the hiway with it around 75 with CC on i can get 27-28 amazing i know. but normaly around 25.

Lets see...the Impala gets about 32 on the highway, 24 in the city, coming up to about 27 combined. The Cobalt gets about 26 in the city, 35 on the highway, coming in right at 30 combined. The '76 Chevy truck gets 8, no matter what, it gets 8, coming in for a combined mileage of 8. I'm happy with all of the number, especially my truck because it gets REALLY easy to calculate my range.

The Sonoma returns just about what the sticker said: 16/20, unless my dad's behind the wheel and he's in a hurry.

Mom's Venture (what I've been tooling around in lately since the Sonoma's having teething problems) returns a little under the sticker (which is 18/24, it's AWD): about 17ish/23. I'm happy with both, since I don't have to pay for gas yet :thumbsup:

99 monte 3.1L (135K) typical city 19ish highway 29ish ~65-75mph

could prolly get that up just a tad if i figured out the slight miss that's eratic, maybe tad more w/ a trans flush.(not sure if it's had one)

My old 4 cyl Accord returns 26 mpg in mixed driving, 28 on the highway.

Our Saturn SC1 gets a dependable 31 mpg. The record we ever had was 33mpg on a trip that was ALL interstate at 95mph from Savannah to Atlanta. The strange thing is, it got 34mpg in mixed driving a couple of weeks ago!!! We both hate the car, but if the gas mileage is only going to get better.... :D

my '06 malibu SS is getting a tad better tha nthe sticker now that its broken in mostly.

sticker is 19 city 26 highway. Im averageing 25 a tank with a 50 50 driving split so thats pretty good. 3900 isnt as bad as its cracked up to be by the epa.

I just filled up tonight before heading home. This tank? 17.2 mpg. :angry:

Of course that was about 95% city driving with a high speed blast on the highway.

My best tank ever was 23.4 mpg, on the turnpike north to the campground last year.

I looked into the ratings for my cars on Energuide Canada... surprising result:

Pontiac G6 3.5L: http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/transportation/tool...m?id=373&attr=8

Chevrolet Cavalier 2.2L:http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/transportation/tool...?id=4107&attr=8

The consumption is the same, yet the G6 develops double the power (almost).

Edited by ToniCipriani

Yesterday on the way back to Toronto I went back through Hamilton, down the escarpment on the 403.

1. Reset mileage, right at the top of the escarpment.

2. Accel to 135 km/h or so.

3. Right lane, throw it in neutral.

4. At the bottom, still going about 105 km/h, DIC showing 0.9 l/100km.

I tried changing to MPG to see what it was but the DIC can't show numbers that big, it was just "99.9 MPG", so here it is translated online:

261.349537 miles/gallon(US)

Now that's an efficient idle. :o

Normal good highway mileage if I'm slow is 5.7 l/100km. Can't be bothered to translate that one cause I already closed the window.

Hhrrrmmm... I filled up yesterday... I'm now below 3/4 of a tank. Heavy foot..? :D

ha.

If Me and a few buddys go crusing to some place. Its cost me alot.

$70 to top the tank off. then burn about 3/4 in about 5 hours of cruisn

Well....I do a lot of city driving with my Impala....so i usually get about 22-24mpg on a tank....with about 3/4 of the tank being stop and go driving.  On a highway trip with it I usually get about 27-28mpg.

I burn E85 in the suburban.  I have burned through about 10 tanks of it and seems to have averaged out at about 13 mpg.  Compaired to about 14.5-15 i was getting with regular gas.  I was pulling my boat this last weekend as was getting about 11mpg with it.  I gets a little steap.  I put over $150 in gas in both the boat and the suburban at one stop....OUCH. 

But if I want to be able to go fishing and skiing in the summer....and to be able to pull my snowmobiles around in the winter...I need a suburban or something at least as big.  It won't work to have anything smaller.  So I guess that I'll just eat the extra cost and deal with it, although I can see myself driving the impala more and more if I don't have to be pulling something.

I get about 21-23 mpg with my Impala 3400, with virtually no highway driving. I was a little dissapointed with that. . I pretty much drive it like a grandma, and haven't even turned on the a/c yet. I wonder what kind of difference a 6-speed auto would make.

I get about 21-23 mpg with my Impala 3400, with virtually no highway driving.  I was a little dissapointed with that.  .  I pretty much drive it like a grandma, and haven't even turned on the a/c yet.  I wonder what kind of difference a 6-speed auto would make.

If that's all city, that's great. I took a rented Impala with a 3400 from Portland to Denver and back...all highway...and got 32 and 33 on EVERY tank. I was floored, given that it's a hefty sled.

My cars with my brisk driving, usually average(d):

1987 Buick Skyhawk: 37 mpg

1993 Chrysler LeBaron Convertible: 24 mpg

1994 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34: 24 mpg

1996 Plymouth Breeze: 30 mpg

I was a little disappointed this weekend, only averaged 19.8 mpg (624 miles roundtrip) on the Trailblazer. It was mostly highway/country driving with strong winds and the air conditioner turned on during the whole trip.

Drove through the worst rain I've ever seen, between Danville and Champaign, IL on Sunday. I couldn't see more than 50 feet in front of me at times, crawling at 45 to 50 mph, but just put the Trailblazer into 4wd and kept on going.

Despite the storm and lots of cop cars between Champaign and Chicago. I still made the trip from Vincennes, IN to the western Chicago suburbs in 4 1/2 hours.

Last time I made this trip (no air conditioning), I averaged just under 22 mpg.