FIRST LOOK: 2008 Buick Enclave

CSpec

What do you think of the new Enclave?  

221 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new Enclave?

• 5 - Wow! Truly world-class
    • 4 - Pretty great! But...
    • 3 - Average, not a stand out
    • 2 - Okay. I guess
    • 1 - Puke-o-rama

I posted this in the other thread as well...

Wow...I'm pleasantly surprised. I'm sitting here on GM's media site comparing pics of the Enclave with the concept and they did a pretty damn good job. The exterior is nearly identical. All you would need are some bigger rims to make it look like the concept pretty much. The interior is pretty close as well. There are a few issues I have with it, but I think a lot of the problems can be associated to the picture quality.

As far as the interior goes, I felt the stitching that was on the concept would've really worked out well here. I feel it would help the interior so much (not that it needs to much help) but it just looks so much better. I also feel the concept used a darker, more rich charcoal/brown color, but I think that may be just a lighting issue with the production shots (the concept shots seem to be at a much higher quality...). Same goes for the wood (I don't know if it is real or not...the photo's make it appear to be fake which is somewhat disappointing...hopefully it looks better in person...otherwise, it isn't bad).

Obviously we knew that a lot of stuff, such as those fold down wood trays on the seats, the extended center console going through the entire length of the car, the overhead sliding entertainment console, and the 3rd row seat/rear trunk space trim and accoutrements were gonna go for the most part, so I guess that's not such a massive loss, but it still would've been nice to see some of those features.

I liked the gauges and the clock on the concept, but the gauges on the actual version don't look half bad either. I think I may like them a bit better actually. The clock on the other hand looks alright, but I think I like the cream face on the concept a bit better.

I can't wait to see this thing at the auto show. I'm really liking it more and more now (maybe because GM actually seemed to have done a really good job at executing it from it's concept form). I bet the interior looks great in black as well.

The Enclave appears to display the qualities of an absolute hit. I've gotta say, the level of execution on this product has been a long time coming; the vehicle seems to be class-leading in every single area, while throwing in a few new tricks.

All that's left is competitive pricing, and most importantly, reliability. Without the latter, this star might dim - it's crucial that they nail reliability & durability, because I have a feeling that this is the vehicle that will REALLY get everyone's attention, and not some PR-hogwash about inflated percentages of conquest buyers etc etc.

Definitely a very promising vehicle, builds on the success that the GMT-SUV redesign had...keep it up!

all i can say is a great job by GM. I can see what you're saying, empowah, about the blobby front end, but I think this car has great character, and that is what will appeal to many people, that and the terrific execution. This is infinitely better done than Edge, and I like that car. The only thing I want to see is some radio design for the standard Enclave that shows design ingenuity, and isn't shared with every other GM car, somehting exclusive to the Buick line, as I feel it should be across the board.

the seating looks plush and firm and supportive

i love that they kept the luxury going in the second and third row, something i feel is missing from the expensive tahoe.

the luggage area behind the third row looks surprisingly large.

the attention to detail is great.

All excellent responses. I can't think of anything to add. It's a beautiful effort. I'd like to see it in another color, perhaps dark blue with black interior. The 19" rims actually look modestly-sized in the pics, which amazes me.

Very nicely executed! 8)

Most non-car people will not be able to tell the difference between this and the concept!

And...most importantly, It looks like a true Buick! Ventiports, turnsignal/cornerlights in the front bumper, and an aura of custom built detailwork!

BTW, I added a poll to guage initial reaction.

Very nice GM. I like the new gauges and those seats definitely convey a special luxury look compared to GM's normal seat offerings, probably because of the way the headrests kind of overlap. It's about time luxury truly returned to the Buick nameplate. Anyone who thinks they know Buick is going to do a double take when they see/sit in an Enclave. Heck, many of us will too when we sit in one for the first time. On that second row flipping console, very nifty and practical idea. Didn't see it coming.

One last note, a shout out to the entire Buick Enclave concept design team for putting all their effort into this vehicle and making its mark in Buick history. Again, very glad that GM is putting out such a well executed product, not just for Buick but for the entire company.

Edited by big blue

Maybe it's just my eyes... but if you look really closely at the center stack, it appears as though it's not plastic, not leather, but maybe another material--like felt covered? Is it possible? I'm referring to the dark brown portion.

An absolute home run. I love this SUV, period. NOTE... The Enclave will only be offered in CX and CXL trims to start... something tells me that a certain special V8 is coming soon the CXS trim. :)

P.S. Oh, flybrian beat me too that little note... still though, cool. 8)

Edited by titan

P.S. There's just a CX and a CXL right now. Guess what that means? Hint:

Posted Image

220988[/snapback]

EXACTLY! AND i bet will see nice touches like leather stiched dashboard as well.

Pour on the more fuel efficient mainstream models, get great press, then slide in the more premium models and more powerful engines.

The detailing on the Acadia I sat in at the Boston show was impressive, I'm hopeful that the Enclave is similar (or better).

I wish we could see it in a color other than that brown/grey color.

Will the CX have cloth seats?

I also wish the wood and darker trim carried through to the 3rd seat side panels. The all beige panels back there look a little cheap and sort of "oh yah, there's a 3rd seat too".

Is it just me, or does the production version have a slightly longer wheelbase than the concept?

Well, unless the press destroys it. Remember, the Edge and MKX looked like homeruns as well until the press 'made up' a bunch of $h! about them.

221252[/snapback]

The Edge and MKX aren't home-runs.

I also wish the wood and darker trim carried through to the 3rd seat side panels.  The all beige panels back there look a little cheap and sort of "oh yah, there's a 3rd seat too".

221239[/snapback]

I was thinking the same thing. Kinda looks like the two-tone was getting lost the farther back you went. Doesn't tie it all together nicely. Even something small like a dark brown Buick emblem or Enclave logo stitched into the seatbacks or headrests could have helped it a bit.

I also think I liked the oval portholes from the concept better. I'm still not a huge fan of the chrome surrounds for the taillights, but I suppose on a luxury vehicle like this it would look rather bland without them.

Overall I love this car and glad to see GM "did it right" and stayed mostly true to the concept. We don't get to experience that too often.

Check out the BUICK site, it's been updated with this announcement and new videos as well. The specification sheet does say the CX model has cloth seats with 18" wheels (6 double spoke - whatever that means) and the CXL has 19" 15 spoke wheels. The vehicle pictured doesn't seem to have either of those . . . .

I'll take a black CXL please, and I actually like the production gauges better than the concepts, the leather trim would have been a nice touvh for production but I wasn't excepting it, this is my next car....period

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. IMO, this is the all-around BEST vehicle in GM's lineup. The exterior is classy and luxurious. The interior is well designed and equally luxurious. This is not a home run but a grand slam. The designers should be very proud of what they have accomplished. Buick will sell every one of them.

The Lambdas and GMT900s are amazing, end of story. I just wish GM would be this type of effort into its cars.

Check out the BUICK site, it's been updated with this announcement and new videos as well.  The specification sheet does say the CX model has cloth seats with 18" wheels (6 double spoke - whatever that means) and the CXL has 19" 15 spoke wheels.  The vehicle pictured doesn't seem to have either of those . . . .

221306[/snapback]

Ugh... 15 spoke wheels?! I am not a fan of wheels with more than 6 spokes... I just think it looks ugly. Big example of the fugly awards would be the Aura's 18" wheels... think they're horrendous--LOVED the concept wheels so much, wish those came standard on the XR.

Ugh... 15 spoke wheels?!  I am not a fan of wheels with more than 6 spokes... I just think it looks ugly.  Big example of the fugly awards would be the Aura's 18" wheels... think they're horrendous--LOVED the concept wheels so much, wish those came standard on the XR.

221691[/snapback]

I haven't seen these 15 spokers, but I like the 7-spoke Enclave wheels in the press photos and the Lucerne's 10 spoke wheels. 5-spoke wheels in general have been waaay overused, IMHO..I like some of the multispoke designs for some variety.

There is something different looking about this production version that I'm not crazy about. I think it's the wheels. After staring at the 21s or 22s or whatever they were for so long now, these look kinda smallish and shallow.

The rest of it looks absolutely gorgeous.

Buick....give me back the 22s on the CXS though....