Sign in to follow this  
DetroitNut90

FIRST LOOK: 2008 Chevrolet Malibu

The new Malibu - Your Vote  

124 members have voted

1. 1. Hype aside, what do you think of the new 'Bu?

• 5 - Wow! Truly a world-class entry!
    • 4 - Very good and almost there, but...
    • 3 - A nice effort. Middle of the road
    • 2 - Better than the old 'Bu...but that's it
    • 1 - Puke-o-Rama! Throw it back!

208 posts in this topic

-Camaro-    0

This is stunning? I knew it wouldn't be a looker, atleast it will probably be as good or better than the competition, although I don't see it winning 1st place on magazines. Just can't happen. Although the side looks pretty good.

Edited by -Camaro-

bowtie_dude    0

This is stunning? I knew it wouldn't be a looker, atleast it will probably be as good or better than the competition, although I don't see it winning 1st place on magazines. Just can't happen. Although the side looks pretty good.

Being the best looking doesn't win awards. The drive and interior will be the deciding factors.

regfootball    234

just like i mentioned awhile ago, it is very Jetta esque. A very TL/Jetta/TSX vibe. You know, this car should do well as long as they don't only sell it with pushrods. It actually might be the sexiest looking midsize out there, exterior wise.

it should appeal to east coasters and west coasters and import fans assuming those types' heads aren't so far up their ass's that they won't even give this car a fair shake because the looks ARE there.

hope the interior quality is ok. it's looking like an Aura in drag, but the design pictures look good. Once the new Accord comes out the butchers in the press will be all over it. At least they could get rid of the cheap ass 3 spoke with an upgraded design.

Edited by regfootball

AAS    13

The rear end looks good, but those tail lamps look weird... like, "not a Chevy" weird. Maybe it looks better in person. The rest of the car looks good!

red    0

Too much hype.

What we've got here is a design that's similar in "wow!" factor to the Cobalt, Lucerne, AURA, and Tahoe. Definitely not a revolutionary, gotta-have-it design, definitely not worthy of the hype the press was giving it.

The design itself is great though - adheres to all the Lutz (ahem, Tom Gale) design principles: great stance, tumblehome, flow & integration. Unfortunately it comes off as a little staid & derivative. But I do like it - too me it's on the same scale as the vehicles I mentioned above.

The taillights are clearly an afterthought. Why not go for - what I feel - is one of the best automotive asses in the industry: the SS concept?

The interior is a great improvement, but the instant feeling I get is that it doesn't look "solid." I can't exactly put my finger on it, maybe its the angle of the dual-cockpit trim, the skinny console, etc.

Cheers to GM to getting rid of a bad thing - the pushrod 3.5. While great for reaching more target markets, it isn't the best engine in its price point. And if you're not the best, well, you know...

What's unfortunate is that the 3.6L will need a significant power boost by MY 2010 to stay competitive. It can be assumed that in the L.T., the Altima's VQ wil easily reach 300hp, and Honda's could possibly match.

What Chevy really needs is a design of '57 Bel Air significance. This is not it. It's good, but not great. For GM's sake, this better drive like a dream and have bulletproof quality...

frogger    106

I like it, its night and day a better effort than the current Bu and Impala. I won't get too excited for it until I see the new Accord. But this has got to sell better in the retail market than their current sedans. And less chrome than the Aura!!

I would have loved for it to have LED tails.

Edited by frogger

mustang84    12

The taillights took me by surprise, especially after doing a sketch a while ago with four round lights like the Cobalt coupe. But I have to say, they don't look bad...I see the evolution from the current 'Bu's taillights. Overall, it looks good even if it's not wild...it looks composed and confident.

I like it a lot...and that is a truly wonderful red. Only gripe is that the cashmere/titanium interior color combo's a little dull-looking.

big blue    1

Well its nothing outstanding but it also look competitive with its segment now. I agree w/detroit nut the cashmere/titanium looks a little bland. The rest of the car is attractive if not slightly dull. That ebony interior does look pretty sleek. The two tone interior with the wood also exudes a bit of upscaleness to the car. The exterior is nice looking albiet simple.

Right now it actually seems like a car I would be shopping side by side with the Accord. Can't say the same about the past Malibus.

MyerShift    7

Ha!

Based on those pictures, I am so not impressed with the appearance of its interior, and the rear is God-awful ugly.

Overrated and overhyped just as I had thought... but I'll look it over when I am in Detroit in a couple of weeks.

Only the black interior looks good, otherwise it's just a modified version of the old interior. Different cutlines, better integration, same basic contours.

I'm still waiting for the real new Malibu... you know, the stunner we all heard so much about????????

bobo    91

With all the hype, it's almost inevitable that most people would feel disappointed if the sky-high expectations were not met. That being said, this is a huge improvement for Chevrolet, but there isn't much of a "wow" factor here. It's world's better than the outgoing vehicle and more attractive than the Camry, but then again, what isn't. I agree with reg on the TL/Jetta vibe. The Accord will continue to be a moving target.

turbo200    6

I think the rear end is fantastic. It's very distinctive and very attractive, a fine connection to Chevy's past, with luxurious intentions. This is supposed to be mainstream, I think I get that. I am slightly underwhelmed because of all the praise that was heaped on it, however, with this design GM has blown past the competition [love the new editing controls in fast reply ;)]. So what more can be expected of it? Well, I hoped it would knock my socks off, but it really just says hello to my socks. It's a great looking ride, sophisticated, one an owner can be proud of. And that is ultimately what matters the most, a Chevy someone can be proud to say is thier own. This will easily win customers of Impala over, bar none. This is infinitely more attractive than almost any GM intermediary sedan produced so far [in my lifetime], except for Aura. Of the interiors, the base combo looks very base, but the two tone and the black interior look great.

loki    289

I'm getting a Lucerne vibe from the 3/4 shots. The wood trimmed interior looks cozy like it should. Chevy should have a winner with this one. :thumbsup:

i get that too, well.... from the lights but mixed with some cobalt..

so powertrain wise... 2.4, 2.4/hybrid, and the 3.6L.... wow what a gap of hp... oh well

overall good looking, but not excellent, but most of the competition is kinda, uh...not great either

Croc    268

I like everything except the front. It's too aggressive for a smash-hit midsized family sedan. Specifically, the grille is off. The top of it should be much lower and the bar should be much smaller. The bowtie may need to be relocated. Also, the lower grille is too angular. The center point is fine...but the sides should be less severe.

As for the rear, I like it but, like the front, it is a tad overdone and severe. What would look much better: lose the vertical element of the outboard set...make them more Lucerne-like except extend them inward so that there is another red circle between the current red and white circles. The top line should taper inward still and the circles should be the same size as current. Badging should be relocated to below the taillamps. Basically a modern take on the successful early-90s rears.

Edited by Croc

FAPTurbo    1,078

Boring.

And that's probably the best bet. I'm happy to see them offer the six speed auto with the Ecotec.

Cory Wolfe    263

This is it? :huh:

Okay. I'm not impressed at all. It's certainly an improvement over the current one, but that's it. I don't think it's much better than the Camry or Accord and it certainly lacks compared to the Altima, Mazda6, Aura, or even the Fusion. The front is trying to be distinctive yet plain at the same time. The headlights suck, there shouldn't be three separate center grills, and the proportioning is off. It has potential, but needs work. The rear does as well. It looks unfinished and like an afterthought. The sides look great, though. As does the interior, other than the all gray scheme.

big blue    1

Looking back, I really wish the hype didn't exist as overall, I find the G6 STILL the best looking epsilon on the outside. G6 has a clean and sporty looking exterior without looking weird or too overstyled. Sure it may resemble a Scion tC or Cobalt from the rear, but it isn't awkard. The main down point about the G6's interior is the center console controls, the actual design of the dash is pretty good imo.

Northstar    11

I think it look pretty good, and I think it will look much better in person. The rear looks weird in some of the pics, but I think that's because they're 2D. It will look OK in real life. The interior is nicely done and stylish. I think it's one of the more distinctive midsize sedans out there and will do well.

C.H.U.D.    0

These pictures suck. Thank you, GM photography. I'll wait until better photos to surface of the higher models.

With that out of the way, I am a little disappointed with the taillights. Reminds me of these:

Posted Image

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this