Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

FIRST LOOK: 2008 Chevrolet Malibu

DetroitNut90

The new Malibu - Your Vote  

124 members have voted

1. 1. Hype aside, what do you think of the new 'Bu?

• 5 - Wow! Truly a world-class entry!
    • 4 - Very good and almost there, but...
    • 3 - A nice effort. Middle of the road
    • 2 - Better than the old 'Bu...but that's it
    • 1 - Puke-o-Rama! Throw it back!

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is stunning? I knew it wouldn't be a looker, atleast it will probably be as good or better than the competition, although I don't see it winning 1st place on magazines. Just can't happen. Although the side looks pretty good.

Edited by -Camaro-

This is stunning? I knew it wouldn't be a looker, atleast it will probably be as good or better than the competition, although I don't see it winning 1st place on magazines. Just can't happen. Although the side looks pretty good.

Being the best looking doesn't win awards. The drive and interior will be the deciding factors.

just like i mentioned awhile ago, it is very Jetta esque. A very TL/Jetta/TSX vibe. You know, this car should do well as long as they don't only sell it with pushrods. It actually might be the sexiest looking midsize out there, exterior wise.

it should appeal to east coasters and west coasters and import fans assuming those types' heads aren't so far up their ass's that they won't even give this car a fair shake because the looks ARE there.

hope the interior quality is ok. it's looking like an Aura in drag, but the design pictures look good. Once the new Accord comes out the butchers in the press will be all over it. At least they could get rid of the cheap ass 3 spoke with an upgraded design.

Edited by regfootball

Too much hype.

What we've got here is a design that's similar in "wow!" factor to the Cobalt, Lucerne, AURA, and Tahoe. Definitely not a revolutionary, gotta-have-it design, definitely not worthy of the hype the press was giving it.

The design itself is great though - adheres to all the Lutz (ahem, Tom Gale) design principles: great stance, tumblehome, flow & integration. Unfortunately it comes off as a little staid & derivative. But I do like it - too me it's on the same scale as the vehicles I mentioned above.

The taillights are clearly an afterthought. Why not go for - what I feel - is one of the best automotive asses in the industry: the SS concept?

The interior is a great improvement, but the instant feeling I get is that it doesn't look "solid." I can't exactly put my finger on it, maybe its the angle of the dual-cockpit trim, the skinny console, etc.

Cheers to GM to getting rid of a bad thing - the pushrod 3.5. While great for reaching more target markets, it isn't the best engine in its price point. And if you're not the best, well, you know...

What's unfortunate is that the 3.6L will need a significant power boost by MY 2010 to stay competitive. It can be assumed that in the L.T., the Altima's VQ wil easily reach 300hp, and Honda's could possibly match.

What Chevy really needs is a design of '57 Bel Air significance. This is not it. It's good, but not great. For GM's sake, this better drive like a dream and have bulletproof quality...

I like it, its night and day a better effort than the current Bu and Impala. I won't get too excited for it until I see the new Accord. But this has got to sell better in the retail market than their current sedans. And less chrome than the Aura!!

I would have loved for it to have LED tails.

Edited by frogger

The taillights took me by surprise, especially after doing a sketch a while ago with four round lights like the Cobalt coupe. But I have to say, they don't look bad...I see the evolution from the current 'Bu's taillights. Overall, it looks good even if it's not wild...it looks composed and confident.

Well its nothing outstanding but it also look competitive with its segment now. I agree w/detroit nut the cashmere/titanium looks a little bland. The rest of the car is attractive if not slightly dull. That ebony interior does look pretty sleek. The two tone interior with the wood also exudes a bit of upscaleness to the car. The exterior is nice looking albiet simple.

Right now it actually seems like a car I would be shopping side by side with the Accord. Can't say the same about the past Malibus.

Ha!

Based on those pictures, I am so not impressed with the appearance of its interior, and the rear is God-awful ugly.

Overrated and overhyped just as I had thought... but I'll look it over when I am in Detroit in a couple of weeks.

Only the black interior looks good, otherwise it's just a modified version of the old interior. Different cutlines, better integration, same basic contours.

I'm still waiting for the real new Malibu... you know, the stunner we all heard so much about????????

With all the hype, it's almost inevitable that most people would feel disappointed if the sky-high expectations were not met. That being said, this is a huge improvement for Chevrolet, but there isn't much of a "wow" factor here. It's world's better than the outgoing vehicle and more attractive than the Camry, but then again, what isn't. I agree with reg on the TL/Jetta vibe. The Accord will continue to be a moving target.

I think the rear end is fantastic. It's very distinctive and very attractive, a fine connection to Chevy's past, with luxurious intentions. This is supposed to be mainstream, I think I get that. I am slightly underwhelmed because of all the praise that was heaped on it, however, with this design GM has blown past the competition [love the new editing controls in fast reply ;)]. So what more can be expected of it? Well, I hoped it would knock my socks off, but it really just says hello to my socks. It's a great looking ride, sophisticated, one an owner can be proud of. And that is ultimately what matters the most, a Chevy someone can be proud to say is thier own. This will easily win customers of Impala over, bar none. This is infinitely more attractive than almost any GM intermediary sedan produced so far [in my lifetime], except for Aura. Of the interiors, the base combo looks very base, but the two tone and the black interior look great.

I'm getting a Lucerne vibe from the 3/4 shots. The wood trimmed interior looks cozy like it should. Chevy should have a winner with this one. :thumbsup:

i get that too, well.... from the lights but mixed with some cobalt..

so powertrain wise... 2.4, 2.4/hybrid, and the 3.6L.... wow what a gap of hp... oh well

overall good looking, but not excellent, but most of the competition is kinda, uh...not great either

I like everything except the front. It's too aggressive for a smash-hit midsized family sedan. Specifically, the grille is off. The top of it should be much lower and the bar should be much smaller. The bowtie may need to be relocated. Also, the lower grille is too angular. The center point is fine...but the sides should be less severe.

As for the rear, I like it but, like the front, it is a tad overdone and severe. What would look much better: lose the vertical element of the outboard set...make them more Lucerne-like except extend them inward so that there is another red circle between the current red and white circles. The top line should taper inward still and the circles should be the same size as current. Badging should be relocated to below the taillamps. Basically a modern take on the successful early-90s rears.

Edited by Croc

This is it? :huh:

Okay. I'm not impressed at all. It's certainly an improvement over the current one, but that's it. I don't think it's much better than the Camry or Accord and it certainly lacks compared to the Altima, Mazda6, Aura, or even the Fusion. The front is trying to be distinctive yet plain at the same time. The headlights suck, there shouldn't be three separate center grills, and the proportioning is off. It has potential, but needs work. The rear does as well. It looks unfinished and like an afterthought. The sides look great, though. As does the interior, other than the all gray scheme.

Looking back, I really wish the hype didn't exist as overall, I find the G6 STILL the best looking epsilon on the outside. G6 has a clean and sporty looking exterior without looking weird or too overstyled. Sure it may resemble a Scion tC or Cobalt from the rear, but it isn't awkard. The main down point about the G6's interior is the center console controls, the actual design of the dash is pretty good imo.

I think it look pretty good, and I think it will look much better in person. The rear looks weird in some of the pics, but I think that's because they're 2D. It will look OK in real life. The interior is nicely done and stylish. I think it's one of the more distinctive midsize sedans out there and will do well.

This is important:

A six-speed automatic transmission is also available with the Ecotec, although it comes only on Malibus with the upmarket LTZ treatment. The versions in the more budget-minded LS and LT trim lines get a four-speed automatic

So if you want the 4cylinder and 6-speed, you can have it, just have to pay a lil more for it.... which is fair.

Looks good overall...clean and contemporary.... a big improvement over the current model, and the first Chevy sedan in ages that doesn't scream 'rental car', IMHO.. I like the way the wood trim in done inside.

Disappointed with the rear. It looks like a Lucerne crossed with a Verona/Epica. Side profile of the front end looks horrendous, although it looks awfully familiar. Nonetheless still an improvement over the old one (what isn't, though?).

The red one looks disgusting, but the gray one seems to look better, so I'll need to see more pics.

I hope the Sport model will get better quad-rounds like the Cobalt coupe.

The first paragraph on the Edmunds article caught my eye:

Rule three of automotive journalism: When a domestic carmaker introduces a new midsize, midprice sedan, reviewers are to write, "They're now as good as Camry and Accord." So here goes. The 2008 Chevy Malibu, which Chevrolet will introduce at the 2007 Detroit Auto Show, looks like it's now as good as the Camry and Accord.

:lol: I'm really interested to see their full list of rules, and give FOG a copy.

Edited by ToniCipriani

Handsome... but not groundbreaking.

Patience. We're bound to be let down by the initial pics. I wasn't impressed with the initial pics of the '06 Impala either, until I saw it at Detroit I thought better of it. Remember, we are talking a sub-20k (American) price point here, not a $40k Acura! Most of the Malibus sold will be the lowly LS and LT. These initial pics are very promising, IMO.

Patience. We're bound to be let down by the initial pics. I wasn't impressed with the initial pics of the '06 Impala either, until I saw it at Detroit I thought better of it. Remember, we are talking a sub-20k (American) price point here, not a $40k Acura! Most of the Malibus sold will be the lowly LS and LT. These initial pics are very promising, IMO.

Yes, people forget this is not a market segment that sells on styling..it sells on value, features, reliability, quality, word of mouth..styling is the least of the concerns of Camry/Accord buyers...

I've gotta see it live, but first impression is positive. I'm sure there are many customers waiting for a competitive Chevy offering in this class. Most importantly, it looks like their wait is over.

Minor quibbles about styling aside, this should provide a boost to Chevy's car line-up, big time.

My only complaint about this car is that it makes the poor Saturn Aura completely irrelevant. That was supposed to be GM's premium family sedan, with a DOHC V6 and 6-speed auto, and schweet brown interior, but now it's been matched or trumped on all counts.

The G6 is just completely :pokeowned: No reason to get one of those except for a convertible.

This is the kind of thing that really makes me wonder if GM has too many brands.

the graphite interior is hot, both with wood or metalic trim. My folks were looking at the aura to replace their intrigue but it looks like an LTZ with the 3.6 is number one on their list now.

i get that too, well.... from the lights but mixed with some cobalt..

so powertrain wise... 2.4, 2.4/hybrid, and the 3.6L.... wow what a gap of hp... oh well

It's actually only 86 horses difference - so it's more of a gap than in the Accord - 78 horses difference between 4 and 6, but Altima has a 95 horse difference and Camry has 110 so it's not a gigantic gap for the segment.

These pics are an unexpected surprise on what I thought would be a quiet news day. Don't know if I'm in love with it but its no doubt a big improvement and very competitive in its class. I will have to see it in person before I decide. I'm surprised and happy they dumped the 3.5 and made the 3.6 the only V6. Hope there's not too big of a price jump between the base and uplevel models.

While this is a vast improvement over the current Malibu's design, I have to say I'm disappointed with the back-end. I seem to agree with the editors of Inside Line on this one, it appears to be the old backends of discarded Mitsubishi Diamantes. From all the spy shots, I was hoping to see projector-like headlight treatments and circular tail lights. Once again, if you're going to be all-new, you've gotta really Wow people. This Malibu gets close, but it seems like they toned it down for the masses a little too much. HIDs/LEDs and a sportier back-end would have been the way to go. I don't mind the tri-bar steering wheel, because it is WORLD'S better than the quad-pointed "missing tooth" look of the current steering wheel (and more sporty). The new powertrain & tranny were much needed. Can't wait to try out that new 3.6 with the 6-speed "paddle-shifting" automatic!

Overall assessment: VAST IMPROVEMENT, just fell a little short of the Wow factor.

having owned TWO diamantes I think the references to this being a diamante clone is overblown in terms of the back end. The back end looks a hell of a lot more like a Lucerne / Stretch Jetta / TL to me than any of the Diamantes i had. I wish those pricks at Edmunds would shut their traps and state things correctly.

There is another color combo on Edmunds... soo then there is 4 choices for interior... niccee.... but does the LTZ have altezza lights because looking at the gray one there seems to be a bit of chromyness in the rear reflecter on the fender.

Edited by BlkHhr104

Seeing these interior picks almost gave me the same feelings I had when I first saw the Camaro concept last year. The way the wood strip extends across the dual cowels looks AMAZING.

The black with no wood (metallic trim only) looks really neat.

My only complaint about this car is that it makes the poor Saturn Aura completely irrelevant. That was supposed to be GM's premium family sedan, with a DOHC V6 and 6-speed auto, and schweet brown interior, but now it's been matched or trumped on all counts.

The G6 is just completely :pokeowned: No reason to get one of those except for a convertible.

This is the kind of thing that really makes me wonder if GM has too many brands.

they're playing catch up...it's only natural that this car makes all other GM sedans irrelevant [sans Aura, imo]. Including more expensive Lucernes, Gran Prixs, even the DTS.....to me seem to offer little more overall than this car. Why? GM finally shot for the big guys and packaged and bundled the car right. In those cars' cases, styling, powertrain, platfrom differences would all help to truly make those cars distinct to this new Malibu.