Another LaxSoup spy pic

Chris_Doane

MagnaRide?! That was unexpected.

Riiiight.... are they trying to conquest old-FWD STS buyers? :huh:

I just hope this si the last $35000+ FWD car from GM for a long while.

And lets hope it looks NOTHING like a Lexus!

Oh, I really hope this car isn't $35000, because it will NOT sell with what else you can get for that money.

The grille still looks oval... am I missing something?

I really hope the grille and center stack are improved on all models.

It's oval because the cladding on the car is shaped like that. You can already tell that the grill design will be different just from the new verticle slots. To be honest, I'm not expecting much from this vehicle. The sooner it's replaced with the Epsilon II model, the better.

It's oval because the cladding on the car is shaped like that. You can already tell that the grill design will be different just from the new verticle slots. To be honest, I'm not expecting much from this vehicle. The sooner it's replaced with the Epsilon II model, the better.

Ah, well, I was just kinda hoping to see a shot of the car with a nice Velite-inspired grille, some new headlamps, etc.

I really don't think we need a Super Lacrosse at this point. We already have 3 V8 w-body's and it is not like the Monte Carlos SS and Grand Prix GXP's are flying off the lots. Even though an styling update is much needed, I just can't see this as a huge hit being that the car is so dated at this point.

Edited by REDO1GPGT

the front looks riviera ish... or at least the lights....

the grill kinda looks like an upside down squished buick grill from..... 40's or 50's?

I even get a little Regalish feel out of the headlights as well. It's definitely going to have a more aggressive look.

I don't see why people in here are upset they're giving the LaCrosse this attention. Forgetting about it will not make the new LaCrosse come any faster. The 0-60 time is something too considering GM claims the Impala SS (with the same engine) goes 0-60 in 6.4 seconds while the updated LaCrosse will go 0-60 in less than 6 (according to the article).

The LaCrosse refresh will only remove the image of Grandma-car from Buick while the Enclave stands nearby proving that Buick doesn't just get leftovers anymore as well.

Edited by Cananopie

I even get a little Regalish feel out of the headlights as well. It's definitely going to have a more aggressive look.

I don't see why people in here are upset they're giving the LaCrosse this attention. Forgetting about it will not make the new LaCrosse come any faster. The 0-60 time is something too considering GM claims the Impala SS (with the same engine) goes 0-60 in 6.4 seconds while the updated LaCrosse will go 0-60 in less than 6 (according to the article).

The LaCrosse refresh will only remove the image of Grandma-car from Buick while the Enclave stands nearby proving that Buick doesn't just get leftovers anymore as well.

I'm already imagining the horrible reviews...

I don't know... I'm getting very ticked at reading horrible reviews of Buicks (granted the Enclave has been almost all positive). But we're going back to a car that honestly, was a car for older people to purchase, and we're going to make it sporty by throwing in a bigger engine? I don't buy it. It'll be compared to the ES350, and it'll be laughed at except for hp.

Guest YellowJacket894

It makes me think of a LeSabre with camo on.

That being said, I think this might be a nice car from Buick. I want to see the whole car, however, before any further judgment.

I don't know... I'm getting very ticked at reading horrible reviews of Buicks (granted the Enclave has been almost all positive). But we're going back to a car that honestly, was a car for older people to purchase, and we're going to make it sporty by throwing in a bigger engine? I don't buy it. It'll be compared to the ES350, and it'll be laughed at except for hp.

I'm with you.

There's nothing left for GM to milk out of this platform, or more specifically, this car. Shift the focus toward the next-generation Lacrosse and get it here ASAP. The Impala SS and Grand Prix GXP can satiate buyers who simply must have 300 horses in a FWD car on a dated platform.

Agreed, no more Impala SS FWDs or Lacrosses, and I think the Lucerne should also be RWD too. Lets get back to the real deal!

I'm hoping we see a magical sheetmetal facelift for the car to make it slightly more angular, like the Lucerne. I just keep having hopes that whatever they do to this car will be an improvement... in that regard, I think I won't be let down.

I'm sure we'll see the new GM corporate stereo and HVAC inside... hope for some nice LED gauges as well like the Enclave.

OMG GM JUST KILL THE DAMN W-BODY ALEADY!!

Seriously, are they going to sell enough of these to recoup the costs?

I concur! Though, I don't know how much "cost" there is. I don't understand why it's taking them so long. All the drive train work is done. You can go buy a powertrain mule today at your local Chevy or Pontiac dealer.

I love the Slatestone color, but that's about all I like for this spy shot of the LaCrosse-let's accelerate the 2010 Epsilon II version, huh? And keep the front split-bench/bucket seat choices, but let's make the 2010 look like the Golden age (1998-2000 Buick concepts)+Enclave+2004 Velite concept cars for styling, huh? And make sure it doesn't overlap with Malibu, G6, Aura, or the Cadillac CTS!

Most recent reviews of Buick product have been positive between the high excitement Enclave and the more than favorable reviews of the Lucerne. Many people gave props to the Lucerne who haven't given the same props from Buick in the past. Even the LaCrosse wasn't seen as a poor car, just an unexciting car from Buick. Of course this will bring excitement in to the LaCrosse while it whittles the rest of its time away and then the obvious complaints that it's a W-Body car, only has a 4-speed transmission, doesn't get extensively great gas mileage will still prevail but at least they plan on putting some powerful options behind Buick to distinguish it from the lower brands a little more aside from the Impala SS however allowing it to get a quciker 0-60 time and GM does not usually give Buick the fastest engine so that's a positive that Buick hasn't seen in the past. Not many vehicles can do 0-60 in less than 6 seconds. However it will be a pricey buy for a mediocre vehicle.

However we must remember what happened to Oldsmobile when they tried to change their image overnight abandoning their core audience. The LaCrosse was the beginning of a subtle and smooth transition that Olds did not create.

Edited by Cananopie

I don't really think the LaCrosse transitioned anything; it was just a rehash of the 1990 W-body sedan for round 3.

The major criticisms are actually in the overall packaging of the car (attributable to the poor packaging and space efficiency inherent to the W-body), the cheap and uninspired interior design, the bland exterior design, and a lack of competitive features/equipment (transmission being only one of them). It isn't just a gross simplification that it is a W-body with a 4-speed--it is that it is simply yet another uncompetitive GM product from the past era of mediocrity.

All th e reviews i have seen for the impala SS clock it under 6 seconds to sixty.

CAR AND DRIVER STATS:

ACCELERATION: Seconds

Zero to 30 mph: 2.2

40 mph: 3.1

50 mph: 4.2

60 mph: 5.6

70 mph: 7.3

80 mph: 9.2

90 mph: 11.3

100 mph: 13.9

110 mph: 17.7

120 mph: 22.4

130 mph: 28.5

Street start, 5–60 mph: 5.8

Top-gear acceleration, 30–50 mph: 2.6

50–70 mph: 3.7

Standing ¼-mile: 14.2 sec @ 101 mph

Top speed (drag limited): 154 mph

http://www.caranddriver.com/roadtests/1102...pecs-page4.html

Edited by eldiablobanshee

Oh, I really hope this car isn't $35000, because it will NOT sell with what else you can get for that money.

I suspect it would be..aren't Impala SS and Grand Prix GXP north of $30k? It wouldn't be priced less than them..

I suspect it would be..aren't Impala SS and Grand Prix GXP north of $30k? It wouldn't be priced less than them..

The Impala SS starts at 28,655. Let's hope the LaCrosse starts at no higher than maybe 32-33ish... but even that is pushing it, in my opinion. Well, let's see what it offers before I say that.

It probably will cost $35,000 but with the way buick resale values are you can wait to get a year old one for 15k

I really don't think we need a Super Lacrosse at this point. We already have 3 V8 w-body's and it is not like the Monte Carlos SS and Grand Prix GXP's are flying off the lots. Even though an styling update is much needed, I just can't see this as a huge hit being that the car is so dated at this point.

Agreed. Huge waste of effort and cost better used elsewhere inside GM. In fact, just drop the thing.

Agreed. Huge waste of effort and cost better used elsewhere inside GM. In fact, just drop the thing.

Of course, since they've already put the 5.3 in other dubyas, the Super was probably pretty cheap to develop...a nose job and an engine transplant.

I admit that the W-body GM cars are getting past long in the tooth, but at the same time, we know what we've got to look forward to, lets put the known issues down for now and look at the good things, like this being a transitional vehicle for what is coming in about two years (I know, two years in the automotive world is like a millenium), besides, what's wrong with getting the absolute most out of the design, even though it is old. That's what GM did with the '73-'87 Chevy pickups (not counting the '73-'91 C/K 30-3500, '73-'91 Suburbans, and '73-'91 Blazers and Jimmys), they got an idea, people liked it (still like it a hell of a lot too, from what I can see), and they ran like the wind with it. That's what they're doing with the W-bodies, they're getting all they can out of them without leaving any of the other brands out from having one (although I do admit that Buick could be the best initial test platform for the Ep II), until the new stuff gets here.

Heh... my opinion:

• If GM is willing to do this to the LaCrosse... then maybe there's still hope for a Lucerne MCE to improve the interior matching DTS material quality.

• I expect the LaCrosse to only offer two engines when it's refreshed: 3.6l as standard and then the Super's V8. The 3800 will die.

• Magna-Ride (What happened to MRC name?) will undoubtedly make the LaCrosse Super perform MUCH better than the Impala SS or Pontiac GXP. I actually expect complimentary reviews as far as performance/handling is concerned.

• Interior and amenity upgrades may include LED lighting and Navigation. I do think this will assist with transitioning to the EPSII vehicle. It makes little sense otherwise.

Dear Buick,

Please, PLEASE, PLEASE get rid of the fish-eyed headlights. It's repulsive and ruins the front end. I'd like to see a reasonalby exciting lighting house that involves projection beams or any other lighting treatment that acutally originated in THIS century and not the 90's; as is the case with the current Lacrosse.

Your attention to this matter is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

Heh... my opinion:

• If GM is willing to do this to the LaCrosse... then maybe there's still hope for a Lucerne MCE to improve the interior matching DTS material quality.

• I expect the LaCrosse to only offer two engines when it's refreshed: 3.6l as standard and then the Super's V8. The 3800 will die.

• Magna-Ride (What happened to MRC name?) will undoubtedly make the LaCrosse Super perform MUCH better than the Impala SS or Pontiac GXP. I actually expect complimentary reviews as far as performance/handling is concerned.

• Interior and amenity upgrades may include LED lighting and Navigation. I do think this will assist with transitioning to the EPSII vehicle. It makes little sense otherwise.
I won't hold my breath for Nav. As for ambient LED lighting and LED gauges, that'd be a nice touch. The 3.6L standard? Let's hope--although, that then makes the CXS trim pretty much pointless. But then again, so does the addition of the Super name and underpinnings. So, what might it be: CX, CXL, and Super?

The LaCrosse doesn't deserve all this hate. I put over 500 miles on a loaded CXS last year as a rental, and I was sorry to have to give it back. I even washed it the morning of my flight home. No, it's not the best car in its class, nor is it overly exciting, but it's a very likable car that's easy to live with and willl take whatever you throw at it. The Super makes sense to inject a little life into this LaCrosse until the new one comes on EpII. They could just not change it at all until its lifecycle expires (SEE: S10, Cavalier), but there'd be complaints about that too. I just hope that the appearance changes we see on the Super make it to other LaCrosses as well.

You guys don't understand that, as buyers, this is going to be one of the best used/leftover car values on the market.

How does that help Buick? That's what I'm looking at. Sure, it'd be a great car for me to get used. But how does that help their image?

The LaCrosse may have a few issues but at least it looks more flashy and impressive going down the road than many of the dull boring blob sedans introduced within the last couple of years(Camry). Sure the grille and headlights were not done quite right and the 4 speed auto is very dated, we all know that. After driving extensively in a 2007 Impala, I couldn't wait to transition to the far more comfortable seats in the LaCrosse for instants. Plus the Lacrosse avoids some of the issues I had with the Impala such as lack of glove box light, hard dash plastic, no floor shift indicators and dual rear map pockets on the seat backs, the 2007 Impala LT had only one shallow pocket. I did however like the Impalas 3500 better overall because it got better mileage, revved to 6200 rpms and felt a tad quicker, 7.8 seconds to be precise. Lets wait and see what changes have been made on the Super version before panning it. Besides if the next gen LaCrosse is anything like the 2008 Malibu with it's plain looks like everything else exterior, smaller interior dimensions and poor fuel economy and odd taillights, then I will be highly unimpressed.

The Impala SS starts at 28,655. Let's hope the LaCrosse starts at no higher than maybe 32-33ish... but even that is pushing it, in my opinion. Well, let's see what it offers before I say that.

A fully-loaded CXS is about $32-33-ish.....I fully concur that they'll price the Super at $35K....I bet....

The LaCrosse doesn't deserve all this hate. I put over 500 miles on a loaded CXS last year as a rental, and I was sorry to have to give it back.

but it's a very likable car that's easy to live with and willl take whatever you throw at it.

Bingo, agree with "z" and "ponchoman." This is a platform that has been around for a while but, God, has it served its patrons well. I have rented LaCrosses 3 times, the last time of which I put 1,400 miles on one, and it is super easy to live with and does everything well. Yes, the updated platforms will be better.

I am waiting to see the unveiled exterior. My only negative on the LaCrosse is the dreadful "Medicare Mabel" grille. It is a throwback to the 2000 LeSabre. Also, the mousefur fabrics are very "low-rent district" which bothers me since I can't stand any leather interior...especially in a hot climate. I am hoping that the new grille/light treatment is the crisper and more angular like one shown earlier here on the site. That grille should also extend to the base models. Also, the venti-ports should be a little further forward from the driver's door. Now, if only this "brick" color that is showing up in the Acadia, the Malibu and others makes its way into this car....yessirree. The side profile and rear views of the LaCrosse are quite nice as it currently stands. Just view them in 360 on the Buick web site.

And, sorry, the 3800 in the base model would serve me just fine. Gas mileage is good (I clocked some 29.5 mpgs while, as "ponch" said, I've gotten 32.6 and 33.4 on 3500 equipped Monte Carlos and Impalas which is nothing short of stunning for a conventional gasoline engine lugging around that much sheetmetal and pumping out 211 ponies in the process).

The LaCrosse may have a few issues but at least it looks more flashy and impressive going down the road than many of the dull boring blob sedans introduced within the last couple of years(Camry). Sure the grille and headlights were not done quite right and the 4 speed auto is very dated, we all know that. After driving extensively in a 2007 Impala, I couldn't wait to transition to the far more comfortable seats in the LaCrosse for instants. Plus the Lacrosse avoids some of the issues I had with the Impala such as lack of glove box light, hard dash plastic, no floor shift indicators and dual rear map pockets on the seat backs, the 2007 Impala LT had only one shallow pocket. I did however like the Impalas 3500 better overall because it got better mileage, revved to 6200 rpms and felt a tad quicker, 7.8 seconds to be precise. Lets wait and see what changes have been made on the Super version before panning it. Besides if the next gen LaCrosse is anything like the 2008 Malibu with it's plain looks like everything else exterior, smaller interior dimensions and poor fuel economy and odd taillights, then I will be highly unimpressed.

?????????

The grille and headlights are the only real (kindof) unique parts of the LaCrosse design......so if you don't think THOSE were done quite right, then what of the rest of the design do you consider "flashy and impressive?"

To me, everytime I see a LaCrosse going down the road, it does nothing but remind me about the "old" GM and the "old" Buick. To me, there's nothing flashy, impressive, or sophisticated about this car....

To me, it looks like a slightly more-attractive Taurus......from all angles....and that's not something I want Buicks to remind me of.....

Heh... my opinion:

[*]Magna-Ride (What happened to MRC name?) will undoubtedly make the LaCrosse Super perform MUCH better than the Impala SS or Pontiac GXP. I actually expect complimentary reviews as far as performance/handling is concerned.

I doubt it.....

MRC has nothing to do with the way the engineers tune the suspension components.....the Super will probably still be tuned way to the soft side, definitely compared to GXP and I bet it will still be a bit softer than the SS.

I'm betting comparisons will show it similar to the ES350 from a ride-and-handling standpoint.....solid, quiet, but soft and uninvolving.