Flybrian

Trailblazer and Envoy not quite dead yet

43 posts in this topic

GM sees future for Moraine plant
Posted Image
Link to Original Article @ Yahoo! | Tuesday June 26, 3:09 pm ET

The mid-size sports utility vehicles made at the General Motors Corp. Moraine assembly plant continue to be a strong piece of the GM sales, a GM regional leader said Tuesday.

Steve Hill, general manager of GM's North Central region, said the vehicles -- particularly the Trailblazer and Envoy -- are part of the automaker's portfolio for the foreseeable future.

Hill, who focuses on sales and marketing, was in Mason at Kings Island Resort to talk with about 200 local GM dealers.

"Mid-size utilities have been a home run in the marketplace," Hill said.

The GM Moraine assembly plant, which has about 3,000 employees, makes the GMC Envoy, Chevrolet Trailblazer, Buick Rainier and Saab 9-7x and the Isuzu Ascender.

I would really like to see Moraine continue producing the Trailblazer and Envoy on the next-generation compact truck platform. These would exist only as 5-passenger two-row BOF SUVs and be more akin to the old S-Series Jimmy and Blazer in price and market. Keep them tow-capable, offroad-capable, and offer a strong 4cyl, a V6, and a turbodiesel. Keep the SS going with a real lightweight 2wd Trailblazer a la Typhoon.

There is a market for a 5-seat rugged SUV and there always will be. As I've said many times before, I predict it'll be whittled down to the 4Runner, Pathfinder, Explorer (I still don't think it'll be unibody), Grand Cherokee/Liberty, and Trailblazer maybe Envoy, too. But, they'll still sell.

This is not making sense..

SAAB 9-7x is going away. The Buick Rainier is going away. That leaves Trailblazer and Envoy, but GMC and Chevrolet will have Chevrolet Traverse and GMC Acadia which is doing quite well.

:scratchchin:

This is not making sense..

SAAB 9-7x is going away. The Buick Rainier is going away. That leaves Trailblazer and Envoy, but GMC and Chevrolet will have Chevrolet Traverse and GMC Acadia which is doing quite well.

:scratchchin:

Simple. Nissan has the Xterra and Murano and Pathfinder. Toyota has the Highlander and 4 runner, Ford has the Taurus X, Explorer, Edge, and Flex <coming soon>, Chrysler has the Duragno/Asspen and Pacifca.

If anything, this is GM catching up to the rest of 'em.

will/would the atlas 6 get the bump in displacement like the 4 and 5 did?

i could guess they'll sell these for 2, maybe 3 more years.

would these be getting an MCE or anything soon?

Well if all the development money is going into the Lambdas, the remaining 360s will become less and less relevant. That is old-GM speak. If they're staying, they need to be either decontented and sold at prices below the Lambdas, or they need to be updated stylistically and mechanically.

The 360's R&D money isn't going to the Lambdas, but rather more similarly-sized crossovers.

The 360's R&D money isn't going to the Lambdas, but rather more similarly-sized crossovers.

Which they already have...Equinox, Vue, Torrent...

i think they ought to redesign the colorodo and use that platform instead of making their unique platform... the blazer was always a good seller because it wasnt as big as the other ones... you could get enviornmentalists in those old blazers... but not in the tahoe/suburban...

so redesign a home run colorodo, and throw an suv on the same platform...

Why would you want a 4-cylinder engine in these trucks? And second of all, these don't compete with Nitro/Liberty and Xterra-those are compact, truck-based SUV's, the TrailBlazer/Envoy are mid-size like 4Runner, Pathfinder, Explorer, and just barely (if at all still) the Grand Cherokee . I'd suggest shortening GMT900 a little if these were to continue. Just kill the 9-7X and Ascender-there's no point to them and they don't sell anyway. As for a compact Blazer and GMC Jimmy, I say why not. But stay away from the 4-cylinders there too-they barely have power or purpose in base-trim compact pickups, so how would they fare for an SUV? Look how many Cherokee/Liberty I-4's sold-almost none!

We did have 256 Trailblazers in the pep program here, now I think we are down to single digits. So they must be selling, a guy I work with said he was very luck to tag one. I do know and I have said this before, all the development work and anything else for that matter is done on the Line 6 engine.

According to a friend of mine who's a Chevy salesman, he believes the Trailblazer will continue because it can tow. People buy them because they're a lot cheaper than a Tahoe and they can tow their boat, trailer, etc. As I understand it, the Lambda's don't have much of a tow rating. If the Trailblazer goes away, a Chevy buyer would have to go with a Tahoe or a pickup.

Well, if the Trailblazer/Envoy are going to be staying alive, GM will need to give them each a redesign or at least a substantial refresh that will keep them somewhat competitive with Toyota, Nissan, and Ford. I guess the demise of the truck-based SUVs was greatly exaggerated.

I'm hoping that if GM wants to keep these two competitive, a redesigned and lighter weight platform will be a must.

Simple. Nissan has the Xterra and Murano and Pathfinder. Toyota has the Highlander and 4 runner, Ford has the Taurus X, Explorer, Edge, and Flex <coming soon>, Chrysler has the Duragno/Asspen and Pacifca.

If anything, this is GM catching up to the rest of 'em.

But isn't the Durango/Aspen and Pacifica soon to be discontinued?

I would hope that GM would have used any development money on the Triplets. Big BOF SUVs are not what GM needs to focus on anyway.

Chevy has to shift it's spotlight to passenger cars and light crossovers.

I know there is still a need for these types of vehicles but there is a much faster demand for afforable fuel friendly passenger cars.

The Lambdas should be of the pedestrian people mover variety, while the Trailblazer/Envoy should be of the tow-haulin off-roading variety. Plain and simple. They would compete with the Highlander and 4-Runner, respectively, along with other vehicles.

We did have 256 Trailblazers in the pep program here, now I think we are down to single digits. So they must be selling, a guy I work with said he was very luck to tag one. I do know and I have said this before, all the development work and anything else for that matter is done on the Line 6 engine.

Yep, I know a guy that tagged one when there were over 200, a couple days later there were like 24 then the next day there were 4 left.

Edited by chevelle454

But isn't the Durango/Aspen and Pacifica soon to be discontinued?

The Durango, at the very least, will not be, the Pacifica is being replaced,and the Aspen will be around for a least a little while.

If they are going to keep these and not redesign them for a while, at the very least they should take the suspension tuning from the 9-7x and implement it into the TrailBlazer/Envoy...so they at least handle decent. Then give them a fairly substantial reskin and redo the interior (and ditch that hideous steering wheel). Upgrade the transmissions too.

Which they already have...Equinox, Vue, Torrent...

Don't be surprised to see something a bit bigger and similar to the Equinox (in terms of platform type) replace the TB/Envoy.

Well, if the Trailblazer/Envoy are going to be staying alive, GM will need to give them each a redesign or at least a substantial refresh that will keep them somewhat competitive with Toyota, Nissan, and Ford. I guess the demise of the truck-based SUVs was greatly exaggerated.

I'm hoping that if GM wants to keep these two competitive, a redesigned and lighter weight platform will be a must.

Nah, I wouldn't put too much money into these SUVs....because-regardless of what they do these two-they are stil going to have to put money on the hood to sell them. I usually don't like to see a car die a slow death-but in this case-I would say yes.

Money would be better spent on the Volt/ Compact/subcompact/midsize car market.

Unless these things could get around 30mpgs...then it wouldn't be worth it.

Actually though-the 360s are going to get an update in 2009 MY. They will get some of the benefits of the 9-7x and Rainier parts bin-as you will see some of this stuff showing up on the TB and Envoy.

I think they also get freshened fronts and rears, and also get an optional DOD v-8 also.

Other than that-I don't expect too much changing...as 360s should be gone by 2012......replaced with something better...

This doesn't mean GM can sit on it's laurels and let this duo wither and die like they do so much else. It's now going on 7 model years with nothing other than some chrome accents sprinkled about the interior and a few more ponies for the L6 since it's intro back in 2002. Oh and lets not forget a grille change on LT TB's!

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room