Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

The 2007 Buick LaCrosse Super?

Guest Josh

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But then it would be just another Lucerne, they're already very close to each other in exterior size. I hope they don't do that. I do know one thing, if this is just a grille change, they sure are taking mighty long to get that new grille to us. The Malibu that just had the grille change, came what two model years after it came out? Well, I know for a FACT a grille change takes something like three months to test and validate, a very short period of time and a relatively easy and inexpensive design change. Changing the headlight design takes a lot more time since there is a lot of testing to do, various safety tests, durability tests, etc, etc...So GM could be readying a refreshed LAcrosse with Buick's new design theme, to accompany the Velite, Buick sedan and coupe, around 2008 model year.

A family member who owns a Buick dealership was at the GM preview in Vegas on Monday. He confirmed , based upon what he saw that: 1) The La Crosse Super is a go - larger wheels, bigger engine and a Velite grill and headlamp treatment. He said the new front changes the entire profile of the car. 2) The Lambda crossover will be a 2007 model, come out in 2006 and be shown at both Chicago and Detroit auto shows. He said it's gorgeous. Looks very close to the Centiemme concept with a more angular Velite style grill. Said it seats 8 and looks more distinctive than GMC's version, the Acadia. He said he's never come away from a GM car preview more optismistic about the future for the company.

Conflicting reports on the Velite. Some say it's a go on Zeta (Which has been consistent as Holden is developing all Zeta Buicks) some have said (including here) that is will go FWD upon its debut.

I think it will be RWD based on Zeta out of Holden.

[post="31503"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Change of plans.

Velite won't be on Zeta.

Hate to burst bubbles, but this still leaves me with the impression that GM is Clueless to getting the whole company cleaned up to be profitable. Add a few of the buick car's to Caddy, so you have a full lineup of luxury cars under one name plate. Have Pontiac as the performance division and Chevy as the Entry / mass family mover. Saturn sits alone as the import competition and retire Buick name plate. Reality Check folks, If Toyota, BMW and others can make more money than GM based on only 1 or two name plates, then it is time for a Major revamp. To many name plates in this global competition and GM really needs to focus on strengthening those that can become very profitable. This includes rolling GMC into the Chevy field Even thought I like GMC looks, you can have the Denali as a Chevy high end version before people move to Caddy for their lux SUV's and trucks. GM is still to bloated and needs to shed a name plate and manufacturing space to get profitable and competative. The next 2 years will be interesting indeed. :P

You'd be surprised... all Taurus references will go away with the refresh

[post="32010"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Well, does this mean the taillamps will be altered as well?

As for the front, I'm surprised there is no rush to try and get this out by the 2007 MY because of the non-ground-breaking sales of the LaCrosse.

I mean, the car is "ok". Tweaking it with a new front/rear, hi-po engine and updated suspension will move the car into a new territory--maybe even make it desireable.

I like the LaCrosse, but I would change quite a few things. The front is one of my biggest gripes. I still think when one is coming up behind me (not that I see many on the road at all--I still can count the number I've seen on both hands), in the dark with only the headlights blaring, that it is a previous generation Sonata, and that's nothing to write home about.

Also, why can't we get some more colors for the exterior? I mean, the addition of like 1 color was nice, along with the change of names of just a few colors (I think the shade of beige and gray were changed), just won't do it. I mean, maybe I'm not in the majority, but I'd like to see a green version of the car be offered. I like the Deep Sapphire, love the slatestone (which would probably be the version I'd buy depending on how I like it in person), but we need more.

Center stack needs to be updated. I can't imagine that with the refresh GM wouldn't throw their new radio and possibly climate controls inside the LaCrosse. It'd eat up some of the dead space and create a nicer interior, IMO.

So would Reserve be lower or higher than Super? And why the trim level changes again? Although on the other hand, Buick desperately needs to upgrade its status, and thus still expand its standard and optional equipment offerings. Edited by Mule Bakersdozen LS

Reality Check folks, If Toyota, BMW and others can make more money than GM based on only 1 or two name plates...

How can you use the phrase "reality check" then claim toyota & bmw have only "1 or 2" nameplates?
As for your point: dump/sell saab & all minority interests in others (keep izusu for diesel engineering) way before discontinuing Buick.

I'm surprised dutch said it's being given the velite grille and headlamp treatment and no one has done a chop of that yet. In my most optomisitic hope for GM, the LAcrosse, being that it will be refreshed, and being that they are waiting three model years, I think it could be a pretty substansive refresh and some of that Buick $4 billion could be put to use. If it gets a pretty substantial interior refresh (newer and nicer materials, less annoying and ugly black plastic in center stack, colors and materials with a lot more design flair) and a nice exterior refresh then it could really complement instead of detract from Buick, as it would amongst the company of the Centieme/RDV and Lucerne. If that happens then the taillamps should/would get revised too, and the whole car would look different again, and a collective sigh of relief for a true "________" competitor (well it would still be based on this archaic platform and probably still not offer all of the power and advanced handling characteristics of its competitors) could be born. They really should give it a 3.2L DOHC engine standard with great mpgs, and a 3.6L with more power than it has now, but better mpgs. Is that too much to ask for? http://www.cheersandgears.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/AH-HA_wink.gif :)

Change of plans.

Velite won't be on Zeta.

[post="31899"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

This is very disappointing guion. I assume you mean it's going to go FWD. Very very disappointing.

What the heck is the point then? Buick will just have another G6 convertible or another 9-3 convertible. What is the freakin' point of having all these rehashes of one another that don't fulfill the brand's core set of values. Buicks need to be romantic, dark, long, mysterious, adult coolness, with long sweeps of lines and curviness. Everything from platform choice to engine choice to interior materials to interior designs to interior colors chosen dictate a brand's core set of values. Buick needs to compete with Acura, Volvo, Audi, VW, etc etc......

I just don't see why they can't get it in their heads that they need something that is long and RWD, solid like an S-class with a feeling of heft, but still some decent dynamics. They need standard features, leather, safety all around, even heated seats, things that bespeak of luxury. Buick's own history dictates that they are in a natural position to compete with entry-luxury makes. This means Acura, Audi, Volvo, NOT trying to carve a niche of its own with "geezers" [please don't take that as an offense to anyone who likes Buick's products]. Saturn should not produce products that are more desirable than Buicks. Buick needs to awaken to its glorious past and design history.

It makes so much sense to me. Build it on zeta, have it longer and quieter and a heftier feel than Camaro. Retain the solidarity, but give it more isolation. Price it around 26k with about 230 hp out of the 3.2 DOHC or 2.8, but GOOD power standard. Standardize safety and a level of luxury. Style it beautifully and watch it move. Buick needs this car to be image conscious. It needs to be something that is not totally practical, and is a lot more emotional. Something LA types wouldn't mind tooling around in thanks to the just right evocation of classic beauty.....

ahhhhhh.....another rant...

a little off-topic but i like the LaCrosse name if the vehicle flops, no harm done, GM can throw the name away without harming the traditional Buick names... and if it sells, and a refresh helps, than they get to keep the name around for awhile HOPEFULLY not W-Body FOREVER

Actually, a Velite Epsilon might not be a bad idea-for now, just transfer the G6 convertible to Buick and apply 2004 concept exterior styling and design cues onto it, and make it more Buick-like around 2012. Now will all LaCrosse's or just Super receive the front end change? Any word on the uninspired rear end to become inspired-looking?

History is "repeating" itself again:

From Buick History:

Once the Great Depression was well underway, Buick had a horrible dilemma. While Buicks were a substantial part of the medium-price range, the entire class was being squeezed out. In the early 30’s, rumors were circulating that the Buick nameplate was about to cease. However, Harlow Curtice (the new Buick general manager) saw otherwise. In May of 1934, he introduced the Series 40, which was essentially a Chevrolet body mounted on a Buick straight-8 chassis. This car accomplished two major goals. Its phenomenal sales assured the continuation of the Buick name and it became the springboard for the hottest-performing car in the medium-price class.

With the Series 40, Buick had 2 overhead-valve straight-8 engines. The Series 90 had a 344 c.i.d. engine, the Series 60 used a 278 c.i.d. engine, the Series 50 used a 235 c.i.d. engine and the Series 40 used a 233 c.i.d. engine. In 1935, the series were given names. The Series 40 became the Special, the Series 50 became the Super, the Series 60 became the Century and the Series 90 became the Limited. In 1936, the three larger engines were all replaced by a 320 c.i.d. unit that would be the mainstay of Buick engines until 1953. Also, the Super series was renamed Roadmaster. With this engine consolidation, the Century became the hot ticket, and the series earned its name. It could hold a steady 100 mph, a feat that few cars of this price class could duplicate. As time went on, this engine went from 120 hp in 1936 to 165 hp in 1941. With the engine upgrades, the Century line was always at the head of its class for performance, right up to the cessation of auto production for World War II.

After the war, the Century line disappeared, as Buick filled the demand with the larger (and more profitable) Supers and Roadmasters. In 1953, the 322 c.i.d. nailhead V-8 was introduced. In 1954, the Century returned, using the same idea as had been developed in the ‘30’s. The new Century was again essentially a Special with a Roadmaster engine dropped in. However, performance was hindered by the inclusion of the first-generation Dynaflow transmission, which was grossly inefficient. Buick reworked the transmission for 1955, with the result that the entire fleet of pursuit cars purchased by the California Highway Patrol for 1955 had a common nameplate: Century.

The Century line was essentially carried over into 1956, as was the entire Buick line. However, in 1957, the tide shifted to heavier, softer cars and away from performance as a goal in itself. It was in this era that the Buick reputation for a soft ride with less-than-crisp handling was started. Buicks were still powerful, just more subdued. The 1960’s brought a reawakening.

First, there were the Wildcats. Introduced in mid-year 1962, the Wildcat coupe was Buick’s entry into the high-performance field. Competing with the Impala Super Sport, and Pontiac Grand Prix, it gave Buick bottom-end punch to this burgeoning field.

Next were the Gran Sports. Introduced at the start of the 1965 model run on the Riviera, the package included, among other things, a 425 c.i.d. engine with dual-quad carbs and a firmer suspension. This was followed by inclusion of similar packages on the Skylark (in mid-year 1965) and the Wildcat (in 1966). In 1967, the Skylark Gran Sport became the GS series. This part of Buick’s history is well-told in a number of other places.

**** I found this online...

Fast forward to 2005:

Buick is in trouble again, and they need to revive the line. Fitting the name Super is being used on LaCrosse being that It replaced Century in the CX trim level. Everything comes full circle.

Also note that Buick is considering a rwd sedan. The project has the name "Roadmaster". Buick is reaching back in its past in order to go forward.

Notice the Century line was phased out again. Buick is trying to shake the image it created in the late 1950's.

I posted this to show you where Buick is, and where it is headed. It is going back in order to go forward. Those that do not learn from the mistakes of the past are condemned to repeat them. Buick is repeating. It did not learn.

*** I have been watching and reading. It is not yet time for my return. I will be back when it is time. Edited by NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Why wait till late 07-early 08? Do it ASAP! Change the name back to Regal and have GS version available. Dump the limp 4T65 and use the new 6 speed automatics. Also come up with a lower priced Century version with bench seats and 211 hp 3500, optional side air bags and ABS and price it around $19995 for an entry level Buick. Most LaCrosses I see are priced at 25-30K which is rather heady for a midsize car with margial rear legroom.

Also come up with a lower priced Century version with bench seats and 211 hp 3500, optional side air bags and ABS and price it around $19995 for an entry level Buick.

[post="33280"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

No... please, no. Let it go... the bench seats, the $19K cars... It's fine if that's where Buick wants to be. But if they want to move upward they have to abandon those lower priced markets.

Also I might add that Buick should do away with TV commercials that show the LaX with base wheel covers and promoting that with all applicable offers starts at $19K. This doesn't convey a high end image. Highly desirable vehicles are not promoted that way (ie Acura, Lexus etc). Buick needs to "promote itself", meaning they need to act like a high end car line. If they do, people may begin to percieve them that way too.

No... please, no.  Let it go... the bench seats, the $19K cars... It's fine if that's where Buick wants to be.  But if they want to move upward they have to abandon those lower priced markets.

[post="33328"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Exactly...a base LaX with bench seats is completely redundant with the Impala...why does Buick need to compete with Chevy (either in the Avis market or on the street)?

Also I might add that Buick should do away with TV commercials that show the LaX with base wheel covers and promoting that with all applicable offers starts at $19K.  This doesn't convey a high end image.  Highly desirable vehicles are not promoted that way (ie Acura, Lexus etc).  Buick needs to "promote itself", meaning they need to act like a high end car line.  If they do, people may begin to percieve them that way too.

[post="33351"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

THANK YOU. THAT'S ALL I'M TRYING TO SAY.

• 2 weeks later...
You know, I was thinking about this and it is my opinion that the Super name might just work well IF it is followed up by something.

Example: Buick Lacrosse Super 6 or Buick Lucerne Super 8.

Maybe a little cheesy? I dunno, but I think it sounds better than just "Super" (Thanks for asking--sorry couldn't resist)

Oh, and the numbers denote the amount of cylinders, if you couldn't tell.